These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

CSM Campaigns

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Xander Phoena for CSM9

First post First post
Author
Sephira Galamore
Inner Beard Society
The Watchmen.
#41 - 2014-02-19 11:19:43 UTC
Seleene wrote:
The NDA stuff will drive him insane, which will also be funny to listen to. Lol

That may have just convinced me to vote for him :p
Hibbie
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2014-02-19 11:31:47 UTC
Xander's incredible ability to ask difficult and awkward questions wins my vote - I want to see him hold both his colleagues on the CSM and CCP accountable.

I also want to hear him podcast about it and tiptoe about the NDA when he's asked direct, awkward and hard questions.

Plus, he took me to a cinema once, and didn't touch me up. It was a good day.
Snot Shot
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2014-02-19 12:27:15 UTC
Nothing but praise for this guy. If he doesn't get on the CSM this year and every year he runs it would be a tragedy for the community. No one puts more effort in and is as articulate as Xander at getting a message across.

Good luck m8!Big smile

Twitter = @Snot_Shot  - “If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

evesnotshot.blogspot.com

Dettol
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#44 - 2014-02-19 13:23:56 UTC
I take 0.00000001% credit for Xander running for CSM9....about 6 months ago I mentioned it on our beloved #tweetfleet and he responded with never say never.

The platform is perfect for Xander and I can assure anyone who is considering whether to Vote or not or whether to vote for Xander or not.....DO BOTH.

I trust this guy and you should to...
Loscos Cosquiscador
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2014-02-19 16:34:35 UTC
He'll get my vote.
Savo Reizul
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2014-02-19 17:59:09 UTC
I absolutely support and vote for Xander for CSM9. An individual who puts as much time and effort into spotlighting EVE for the masses (and who also enjoys it) deserves the opportunity to voice the publics concerns and wishes to CCP. In Xander I trust.
Chitsa Jason
Bite me inc.
The Irukandji 3.0
#47 - 2014-02-19 18:34:55 UTC
Xander already did a lot of CSM work by not even being on CSM. I have been talking to him throughout my CSM term and he has great ability to understand the process.

Xander will definitely have a place in my ballot and you should definitely consider him.

Burn the land and boil the sea You can't take the sky from me

Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#48 - 2014-02-19 19:03:43 UTC
I received the following question directly on my announcement blog on Crossing Zebras and thought it worth reposting:

Saint: I'm slightly worried about this. Xander, you're a great podcast host, you're a good interviewer and you're a hoot from an entertainment standpoint. I think you've got a great handle on quite a few things that you know need improving too. I'm not stupid enough to think that your podcast persona is what you'll bring to the CSM table either. To get my vote (and my corp's votes) I want to understand how you think Eve could be improved with solutions, not just identification of issues, which is what you've done so far. I'll listen with interest to the next few podcasts....well I was going to do that anyway ...

Xander: Firstly, you are right about tone. The 'Xander' you should expect at CSM is a lot more 'CSM Election Interviews' and a lot less 'CZ38 drunk with Jeg'.

Regarding issues in the game, I identified a fair few in my Jita Park thread but as you correctly point out, I didn't put solutions in my OP. We have to be careful here as the CSM aren't game designers and it seems to be that pointing out problems is a lot easier thB solving them.

That said, when I was asked questions in my JP thread I did provide some potential solutions.

You are however absolutely correct that in the coming weeks on blog posts and podcasts I will take the opportunity to provide potential solutions to other problems in the game. If you come up with any, please feel free to ask the question in my Jita Park thread!

Thanks for the great post and I hope I do enough by the end of April to end up top of your ballot

Oh and if you see this, I would love to come on your corp comms some time soon to talk to you all about my candidacy and answer any questions you may have directly. Please contact me in game Saint and we'll it happen.

Fly safe,
Xander

The above applies to anyone and everyone. Please ask me any questions you may have and contact me here or in-game or at xander at crossingzebras.com if you would like me to come on your co

www.crossingzebras.com

Hypern
Zebra Corp
Goonswarm Federation
#49 - 2014-02-19 22:25:33 UTC
The CSM isn't ready for an angry Scots man
Ereshgikal
Wharf Crusaders
#50 - 2014-02-19 22:37:15 UTC
I support / endorse this message / nomination fully / absolutely with all of my heart / wallet!
Saint Michaels Soul
Moira.
Villore Accords
#51 - 2014-02-20 17:13:17 UTC
Cheers Xander, I appreciate you taking the time to answer what most people would consider a throwaway comment on the CZ blog. Having now read your simple (and sensible suggestions) on null improvements, I think you're definitely heading in the right direction.

I'll ping you a chat invite (or bring you onto our comms for a chat with the director team) in the next couple of days.

Keep up the excellent work on the site and podcast.
Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#52 - 2014-02-20 23:02:38 UTC
Steve Tanaka eve-mailed me a great set of questions. I thought I'd share them and my answers here:

Steve,

First, thanks for taking the time to ask me some questions and giving me the chance to answer you.

How do you feel about the current state of power projection?

I discussed this in my opening announcement thread:

Fleets can move around all too quickly and easily and this is only amplified with the ever increasing need for tidi in large PvP engagements. The option of dividing fleets over multiple systems as happened during B-R is something that could be implemented intrinsically into sovereignty mechanics.

And in a following question from Susan Black:

I would drop Titan jump ranges and make jump bridge networks more restrictive through the number that can be deployed in space, their ranges, the fuel needed or some combination of the above.

Power projection is currently too powerful and makes New Eden far too 'small'. It needs worked and improved as a matter of urgency.

What recent ship balancing change did you agree with the most, and why?

I love what Team Five-Oh did with Interceptors. Flying around in Ceptors post-Rubicon is such a ridiculous amount and fun and makes you feel so powerful in a hull which is relatively cheap both in terms of SP and ISK. And they are a ship class that can be useful in small gangs or as tackle in huge fleets leading to great stories for those piloting them. Ceptors may not be the most glamourous ship class in the game but CCP have now made them so much fun!

What recent ship balancing change did you disagree with the most, and why?

Drone boats in particular, the Ishtar. It seems to me that the Ishtar was buffed with absolutely no forethought to drones as its key weapon system. And now we see broken drone ships running rampant as the primary subcap fleet in 0.0.

What recent change other than ship balancing did you agree with the most, and why?

I like the new mobile deployables. I think they open up some really interesting gameplay avenues and options while also hinting at the much needed POS revamp, Not all the deployables themselves have been a hit but most have and it is clear that the background development has been done to make new deployables easy to produce going forward.

What recent change other than ship balancing did you disagree with the most, and why?

The ESS. While I think mobile deployables open up some great design space as a concept, the ESS is pretty much the worst possible implementation of them I can imagine. Obtuse, unintuitive and clunky, they were originally broken then ‘fixed’ nerfing lowsec income at the same time through the devaluing of LP.

If you were in a position to influence a dev regarding PvE in EVE, what changes would you suggest?

I think the biggest issue with PvE in Eve at the moment is the lack of effective AI and the sheer grinding dullness of it all. Some of the most interesting PvE I have engaged in recently in Eve has been relic and data sites. While there is no gunplay and the actual minigame itself is a little weak, it showed willingness from the part of CCP to think outside the box when it comes to PvE content.

I want to see CCP be a little braver with PvE content. Think what can be done differently and in a more engaging manner. Incursions were such a wonderful addition at the time even if the rewards were a little imbalanced. Let’s see more of incursions, more sites and fewer damsels!

What has been your favorite EVE expansion, and why?

I think my favorite Eve expansion in the time I have been playing Eve has to be Crucible. Tidi changed the way nullsec works, the T3 BCs were so much fun to play with (even if a little OP) and those V3 visuals were so sumptuous. Crucible felt like a real step up in quality for Eve Online and filled players with hope after the disaster that was…

What has been your least favorite EVE expansion, and why?

Incarna. Surely everyone will say this! An unmitigated disaster which almost killed Eve and CCP.

What is your favorite ship to PvP with?

Tough one. Toss up between Stiletto and Rifter. There is something pure and undiluted about flying a Rifter in 1v1 battles in that the fits tend to be pretty simple. It boils PvP down to its most base element – you vs. the other guy in a battle to destroy the other. The Rifter was my first Eve love.

But man, Ceptors are so much fun to fly post Rubicon! And while the Crow is the one everyone picks these days, I’m a Minmatar kid at heart so give me guns over missiles every time ☺

Fly safe,
Xander

www.crossingzebras.com

Nashok Mindrie
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#53 - 2014-02-20 23:08:48 UTC
Xander, the man with no penis, the man who is next in line. Vote for him because reasons
mynnna
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#54 - 2014-02-21 14:21:24 UTC
So here's a hardball question. Seems fair, given your interviews last year.

Over the past year especially you've shown yourself to be very hotheaded at times. You've got a short fuse and often go off in a big way. If (more likely when) you get elected, do you think you'll be able to reign that in and stay professional and businesslike, or are internal explosions - which may be enjoyable and entertaining to watch, but may not be productive - likely?

Member of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal

Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#55 - 2014-02-21 19:09:51 UTC
mynnna wrote:
So here's a hardball question. Seems fair, given your interviews last year.

Over the past year especially you've shown yourself to be very hotheaded at times. You've got a short fuse and often go off in a big way. If (more likely when) you get elected, do you think you'll be able to reign that in and stay professional and businesslike, or are internal explosions - which may be enjoyable and entertaining to watch, but may not be productive - likely?

Thanks for the question Mynnna. Exactly the kind of thing I would ask myself if I was interviewing me :)

To answer your question, firstly I will say that I'm not going to hide behind the whole 'I role-play as Xander sometimes' because that is nonsense. What I will say is that I am incredibly passionate about Eve and while I sometimes get animated or angry about an event or a comment, I don't think I can ever be described as being irrational or unreasonable.

Can I keep myself in check when the need arises? The angriest I have ever been because of Eve in the five years I have been playing wasn't a particular comment or a lost ship through being dumb or anything else like that. It was the Fon interview from last year's CSM8 Election Interviews. I don't think I have been that worked up or angry in years. I think I managed to maintain a very high level of professionalism throughout that half hour that I couldn't have done if I was simply 'hotheaded'.

So do I have a short fuse - no. Do I let myself get angry if I feel the need is justified (the Somer situation from last year springs to mind) - absolutely. Can I keep that in check to act in a professional manner to the benefit of the community? Demonstrably so.

Hope this answers your question Mynnna. Despite being a deserved lock, best of luck with the upcoming election o7

www.crossingzebras.com

corbexx
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#56 - 2014-02-21 20:24:18 UTC  |  Edited by: corbexx
Chatted to zander a few times. I'd much rather have a passionate person who will tell it as it is, while still being polite. Than a yes sir, how high should i jump person.

The huge amount of work and effort you put in already to eve says all thats needed to me.

I wont lie you wont be my first pick that will go to who ever I think is the best wh guy, but you'll be next after that.

good luck
Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#57 - 2014-02-22 22:06:17 UTC
Have signed up for quite a few interviews in the past couple of days. Going to be interesting being on the other side of the mic for a change... ;)

www.crossingzebras.com

Ali Aras
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2014-02-23 05:43:42 UTC
Xander, your hard work and dedication to the CSM project have been clearly demonstrated throughout the year, with regular posts, podcasts, and attention. I'm happy you've decided to stand this year.

I'm *also* going to return a favor you did to me at the beginning of CSM8 term and post questions, but I've been swamped with work (it's not fair that CSMs have to campaign *and* CSM at the same time!), so most of them will have to wait. I liked your answer to mynnna's, although you reference the Somer situation-- how would you have handled that had you had a direct line to CCP, rather than a community platform?

Also hah re interviews-- in your absence, we have *two* one on one outfits. I've gotta get grilled twice over now.

http://warp-to-sun.tumblr.com -- my blog

mynnna
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#59 - 2014-02-23 05:48:37 UTC
Xander Phoena wrote:

Hope this answers your question Mynnna.

It does, and an excellent answer indeed.

Member of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal

Xander Phoena
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2014-02-23 10:11:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Xander Phoena
Ali Aras wrote:
I liked your answer to mynnna's, although you reference the Somer situation-- how would you have handled that had you had a direct line to CCP, rather than a community platform?

Thanks for your mind words Ali. Regarding your question above, it's incredibly difficult to answer without knowing what the CCP/CSM relationship is actually like from the inside. I think, if anything, I'd have been even more angry given that there was the potential to avoid the whole sordid affair had they only approached me/CSM first. I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating it was for you all. We got a hint of it from Ripard's blog posts but I would guess that it was worse than he even hinted at.

I certainly would have allowed CCP a chance to explain the situation before sperging a word in public. The problem from an outsider's perspective is I can't see a single good reason why in the scenarios that came up last summer, both the lottery prizes and the RMT thing, why CCP wouldn't have approached the community representatives they pay good money to put in place to avoid exactly these sorts of scenarios. I can only presume from being an outsider that there is a reason that I don't know or understand due to not being on the inside.

So I don't know is the genuine honest answer Ali. I can only imagine it was extremely frustrating for you all taking angry feedback from certain quarters of the community and knowing it was all so avoidable. I would have been angry, tried to deal with the situation in as professional a manner as possible and try and use the situation as leverage for better communication between CSM and CCP to avoid the same sort of situation again.

Thanks for the question anyway Ali and I look forward to getting more from you. You will be of course be on my ballot come April after a great performance in CSM8.

www.crossingzebras.com