These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

*** Drones Automaticaly Return to Drone Bay on Disconnect!? *** SISI ***

First post
Author
bornaa
GRiD.
#1 - 2011-11-10 12:50:25 UTC  |  Edited by: bornaa
I cant check this out because i am at work... but i saw this amazing post on Test Server Feedback sub-forum:

Joelleaveek wrote:
Title says it all. it seems that now when you disconnect weather intentionally or not, your drones will return to bay before your ship warps off. Big smile

Fan-*******-tastic. Keep it up!
[Yes, I'm an Amateur](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRa-69uBmIw&feature=relmfu)
ChromeStriker
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2011-11-10 12:53:30 UTC
Twisted secret nurf that keeps caps on field longer before they start log off timer

No Worries

Rek Seven
Galactic Deep Space Industries
Warped Intentions
#3 - 2011-11-10 12:54:20 UTC
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#4 - 2011-11-10 13:13:28 UTC
Interesting...

I'm very curious to see if it works as worded, or the drones just magically reappear in your drone bay.

If your ship does not warp until the drones fly back, I see many issues:

1) If the drones must cover large distances, your ship will not warp for a long time.
2) To tackle a logoffski pilot, simply tackle his drones and prevent them from returning.
3) A ship with sentry drones out will never warp if he's not in scoop range.

Does it apply to fighters and fighter bombers? Tackling and killing those is a fun way to punish docking ring hot droppers for thinking they're pro. If all they have to do is logoffski to get them back magically, that would suck, and if it prevents them from e-warping when they do log off, it would suck for them.

While I'm a heavy drone user and would prefer not to see my precious little ******** DPS machines get lost, I'd much rather lose them than my ship and think this change leaves a lot of questions to answer.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

CCP Guard
C C P
C C P Alliance
#5 - 2011-11-10 13:18:08 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Interesting...

I'm very curious to see if it works as worded, or the drones just magically reappear in your drone bay.

If your ship does not warp until the drones fly back, I see many issues:

1) If the drones must cover large distances, your ship will not warp for a long time.
2) To tackle a logoffski pilot, simply tackle his drones and prevent them from returning.
3) A ship with sentry drones out will never warp if he's not in scoop range.

Does it apply to fighters and fighter bombers? Tackling and killing those is a fun way to punish docking ring hot droppers for thinking they're pro. If all they have to do is logoffski to get them back magically, that would suck, and if it prevents them from e-warping when they do log off, it would suck for them.

While I'm a heavy drone user and would prefer not to see my precious little ******** DPS machines get lost, I'd much rather lose them than my ship and think this change leaves a lot of questions to answer.

The way it's supposed to work is that the drones do their best to make it back before the ship emergency warps, if they are too far away or being webbed by crafty enemies, they'll simply get left behind. Ships won't postpone emergency warp to wait for drones.

The change isn't intended to save all drones but to decrease the number of annoying drone losses. It sort of makes sense that machines as complex as these would have sufficient AI to attempt to stick with their master Smile

CCP Guard | EVE Community Developer | @CCP_Guard

Ciar Meara
PIE Inc.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#6 - 2011-11-10 13:22:23 UTC
Logic?
Usability?
Convenience?
Implementation?

What has CCP become!

- [img]http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/janus/ceosig.jpg[/img] [yellow]English only please. Zymurgist[/yellow]

Daedalus Arcova
The Scope
#7 - 2011-11-10 13:23:03 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:
The way it's supposed to work is that the drones do their best to make it back before the ship emergency warps, if they are too far away or being webbed by crafty enemies, they'll simply get left behind. Ships won't postpone emergency warp to wait for drones.

The change isn't intended to save all drones but to decrease the number of annoying drone losses. It sort of makes sense that machines as complex as these would have sufficient AI to attempt to stick with their master Smile

Even the Devs double-post. Fix the forums, CCP.

If drones are sufficiently complex AI to attempt to return to a ship before it e-warps, shouldn't they also be sufficiently complex for pilots to reconnect to them if the connection between ship and drone is lost?

Drones have complex AIs, yet you cannot reconnect to them.
Probes are just probes, yet you can reconnect to them.
gfldex
#8 - 2011-11-10 13:27:59 UTC
Confirmed for build 312067. They don't return but magicly jump into your drone bay on disconnect as long as they are on the same grid.

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#9 - 2011-11-10 13:36:10 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:

Fantastic, thank you :)

Any chance sentry drones will stop clearing their aggro or command list and picking their own targets too?

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Xantor Bludberry
#10 - 2011-11-10 13:46:35 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:

May i`ll be worship you???Oops
stoicfaux
#11 - 2011-11-10 14:01:15 UTC
Wait. I thought we, the players, were CCP's Mortal Enemies, and vice versa? Why are they suddenly being nice to us after all these years? I smell a rat. CCP's owners are adding shiny to Eve in order to boost the sale price of Eve to Blizzard, aren't they?

We'll know a Blizzard buyout is imminent when CQ gets a group hug animation.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Rek Seven
Galactic Deep Space Industries
Warped Intentions
#12 - 2011-11-10 14:15:07 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:

It sort of makes sense that machines as complex as these would have sufficient AI to attempt to stick with their master Smile

It would also make sense if you could reconnect to lost drones once you reappear on grid.
De'Veldrin
Adversity.
Psychotic Tendencies.
#13 - 2011-11-10 14:18:59 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
CCP Guard wrote:

Any chance sentry drones will stop clearing their aggro or command list and picking their own targets too?

Shhh! Don't poke the bears! If they wake up from this dream state they're in and see what's happening they'll take back all the shinies!

Remember the old adage kids:

Let sleeping dropbears lie.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#14 - 2011-11-10 14:24:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Destination SkillQueue
Rek Seven wrote:
CCP Guard wrote:

It sort of makes sense that machines as complex as these would have sufficient AI to attempt to stick with their master Smile

It would also make sense if you could reconnect to lost drones once you reappear on grid.

In that case it would also make sense, that anyone could remotely take control of abandoned drones within their drone control range and with drone and drone bandwidth limitations in mind. Callously abandoned drones propably have no loyalty, so I don't see why not allow anyone to take control of them.
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#15 - 2011-11-10 15:16:45 UTC
CCP Guard wrote:

Could this behavior be extended to any time the user warps off? Hundreds of forgotten drones would thank you!
bornaa
GRiD.
#16 - 2011-11-10 15:43:55 UTC
khm... khm...

CCP Soulblighter wrote:
Autonomous Monster wrote:
What what what Shocked

Can we have remote reconnection to drones as well now? Big smile

Who knows what the next Sisi update will hold?
StraightSmileBig smile

[Yes, I'm an Amateur](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRa-69uBmIw&feature=relmfu)
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#17 - 2011-11-10 15:44:22 UTC
Looks like they're working through the thousand papercut thread with a bunch of teams, or something. They're really doing their best to address all the small annoyances that were kept unfixed for far too long. Consider me pleased.

On topic: It's a stealth buff to sentry drones, they will almost always make it back.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#18 - 2011-11-10 15:47:00 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
CCP Guard wrote:

What part of "sufficient AI" wasn't a big enough hint?

DONT TRUST THOSE DRONES

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Scrapyard Bob
EVE University
Ivy League
#19 - 2011-11-10 15:53:09 UTC
Upsides:
- Fewer lost drones because your network connection decided to throw a fit
- No need to slow-boat around to retrieve drones after a disconnect

Downsides:
- Less sales for drones

As long as it's not a perfect process (i.e. there's still a chance of drones getting left behind), I'm mostly okay with it.
Hungry Eyes
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2011-11-10 16:03:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Hungry Eyes
Abrazzar wrote:
Looks like they're working through the thousand papercut thread with a bunch of teams, or something. They're really doing their best to address all the small annoyances that were kept unfixed for far too long. Consider me pleased.

On topic: It's a stealth buff to sentry drones, they will almost always make it back.

this does very little for sentries unfortunately. it's got a small application in pvp when you have to warp off, and when you warp back you will reconnect (if no one scooped them in the meantime). in pvp people dont tend to shoot sentries.

this change is mostly useful for mission runners who get disconnected. but even then, the drones will probably still take the aggro and get pummeled on when the ship is gone. meh.
123Next pageLast page