These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

WASABI: Warp Acceleration System Ancillary Boost Injected(™)

Author
stoicfaux
#1 - 2014-01-03 19:54:59 UTC
Summary:
A ship module that increases warp speed and that consumes charges to operate.

The Rubicon warp speed changes are a big deal (especially for OCD efficiency obsessed mission/isk runners.) We have implants and rigs that increase warp speed. Why can't we have a module to increase a ship's warp speed?

A module that consumes charges would be a good thing because:
a) modules are more flexible than implants or rigs
b) consumables are isk sinks
c) consumables are good for industry
d) consumables are good for PI
e) it would make long distance traveling more convenient (at least until CCP designs a transport that can efficiently carry rigged ships long distances.)

Hi, Med, or Low Slot?
Could be any, some, or all. A low slot is the obvious choice since lows are power related, until you realize that prop mods and "computers" and cap boosters fit in the mids. A high slot would also make sense in terms of "navigation sensors" or if the WASABI is a "remote repair" module that tweaks your warp field as you fly in order to make warp faster.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Batelle
Filthy Peasants
#2 - 2014-01-03 20:16:00 UTC
i like it. You could click it once, consuming a charge, and if you enter warp during the cycle time, your ship would have that higher max speed during the warp.

Except, its not an isk sink if its built by players using harvestable resources (except for taxes and blueprint costs).

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Leyete Wulf
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2014-01-03 21:17:27 UTC
I love it, but I think there's room for some variations.
A passive that increase warp speed by a few percent.
An active that while active increases warp speed by a few more percent.
And an ancillary module where if its on you burn a charge every time you go to warp (with like 5 charges a 1 minute reload)

Also I think an ancillary and/or active warpstab that gives you 30 seconds of increased warp stability and holds a single charge or has a long cooldown.
Noxisia Arkana
Deadspace Knights
#4 - 2014-01-03 22:02:08 UTC
Since warp speed really matters, this would be nice. It could certainly have interesting applications all over eve, without being too OP.

Although, an interceptor with warp implants that also has this 'increase warp speed' module is going to just burn through systems.

I think it should be a highslot. Give that Orca some love.
Col Arran
Doomheim
#5 - 2014-01-19 22:08:37 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Summary:

The Rubicon warp speed changes are a big deal (especially for OCD efficiency obsessed mission/isk runners.) We have implants and rigs that increase warp speed. Why can't we have a module to increase a ship's warp speed?

e) it would make long distance traveling more convenient (at least until CCP designs a transport that can efficiently carry rigged ships long distances.)

Hi, Med, or Low Slot?
Could be any, some, or all. A low slot is the obvious choice since lows are power related, until you realize that prop mods and "computers" and cap boosters fit in the mids. A high slot would also make sense in terms of "navigation sensors" or if the WASABI is a "remote repair" module that tweaks your warp field as you fly in order to make warp faster.

I'd remove point b they're not really ISK sinks as the only ISK that is removed is the cost to manufacture and the cost of the original blueprint and those are such low costs that you can barely qualify them as a trickle
Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2014-01-19 22:13:07 UTC
Noxisia Arkana wrote:
Although, an interceptor with warp implants that also has this 'increase warp speed' module is going to just burn through systems.

If the fuel is bulky enough, interceptors will only have enough cargo space to use it when it's really necessary.

I'd suggest giving freighters whichever slot this module goes in.
HandelsPharmi
Pharmi on CharBazaar
#7 - 2014-01-19 22:30:16 UTC
[x] Vote for a low slot!

There should be the difficult choice between Inertias, Warpcore Stabs or Damage Control :D
stoicfaux
#8 - 2014-01-19 22:52:36 UTC
Col Arran wrote:
I'd remove point b they're not really ISK sinks as the only ISK that is removed is the cost to manufacture and the cost of the original blueprint and those are such low costs that you can barely qualify them as a trickle

Plus broker taxes to sell them. And the NPC taxes on PI if PI items are required. Having a plethora of little isk sinks isn't a bad thing (nickle & dime versus gouging.)

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

stoicfaux
#9 - 2014-01-19 22:54:11 UTC
Hesod Adee wrote:
Noxisia Arkana wrote:

If the fuel is bulky enough, interceptors will only have enough cargo space to use it when it's really necessary.

I'd suggest giving freighters whichever slot this module goes in.

Plus, the module could simply not be available for certain ships classes. After all, we have the precedent of MJDs only being available to battleships.

Gimme more Cynos
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2014-01-19 23:25:03 UTC
Dat name :D

Well done sir, +1.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#11 - 2014-01-20 01:18:43 UTC
Meanwhile, as every ship passes the bulk freighters still aligning to the gate...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Endovior
PFU Consortium
#12 - 2014-01-20 02:22:19 UTC
I like this. Now that warp speed is relevant, being able to modify it would be a worthwhile thing to do.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#13 - 2014-01-20 03:36:46 UTC
Noxisia Arkana wrote:

'Not installable on Interceptors.'

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Altered Ego
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2014-01-20 04:08:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Altered Ego
+1

This is a great idea, espcially with the warp speed changes.

I guess a family of mid-slot modules for each of the hull sizes (small/medium/large - screw cap ships) would be a great idea. Also, it would have to have fairly high fitting reqirements ... say equal CPU and 1.5 times the PG of a MWD.

It wouldn't be too unbalencing because any ship using it would loose a mid slot. That's important because at first glance, the ship that has most to gain from this would be an inty, but any inty that looses a mid is pretty crippled.
Endovior
PFU Consortium
#15 - 2014-01-20 06:45:19 UTC
Altered Ego wrote:
I guess a family of mid-slot modules for each of the hull sizes (small/medium/large - screw cap ships) would be a great idea. Also, it would have to have fairly high fitting reqirements ... say equal CPU and 1.5 times the PG of a MWD.

It wouldn't be too unbalencing because any ship using it would loose a mid slot. That's important because at first glance, the ship that has most to gain from this would be an inty, but any inty that looses a mid is pretty crippled.

I don't feel that high fitting requirements are needed for this, particularly not '1.5 times the PG of a MWD'. It's a fairly narrow and situational advantage, and was initially proposed to consume bulky fuel. Spending a midslot is already enough of a tradeoff, you don't also need to gobble up a bunch of fitting space in the process.

I'd be in favor of having it as a one-size-fits-all midslot, with modest fitting requirements. The speed boost should probably be absolute, rather than proportional, since people seem to specifically be scared of ridiculous-speed interceptors; the latter can still benefit from this, but it's really a module designed for big ships to keep up with smaller ones. Having it simply add +1 AU/s would accomplish that, without also unduly distorting interceptor speed.
Janna Windforce
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2014-01-20 06:57:18 UTC
It would make trekking in BS a bit less painful. Do want.
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#17 - 2014-01-20 08:02:20 UTC
Make it burn ISK - for example 1mil / 1 AU for 1 % of boost. Warping between some gates with 100% boost would cause quite nice ISK sink :)

Invalid signature format

JetStream Drenard
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2014-02-04 20:47:16 UTC
+1 great idea!
PinkKnife
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2014-02-04 21:02:23 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Summary:

Hi, Med, or Low Slot?

I think I'd rather see it as a script for a MWD. Absorbs more cap when fitted but passively increases warp speed, or non scripted to normal usage.
Deadonstick
Alliteration Authoring and Assignment Agency
#20 - 2014-02-05 19:36:59 UTC
I like the idea, although making it consumable-only seems a bit stupid. You're already sacrificing a slot for it and you already need to buy the module.

I think it's generally a better idea to give it a moderate warp speed increase normally, and have it increase warp speed much more heavily when consuming a charge.
123Next page