These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Impersonating a GM.

First post
Author
Curious Bear
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-12-21 01:43:47 UTC
Would it be ok if I impersonate a GM outside eve to scam people?

ex: http://i.imgur.com/s1mAlXh.png

Y/N

Discuss.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#2 - 2013-12-21 01:45:05 UTC
Lol
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#3 - 2013-12-21 01:46:47 UTC
Let us ask an expert on discussing ccp's gm policies:

General Discussion

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Lady Areola Fappington
#4 - 2013-12-21 01:48:05 UTC
Nope. CCP can't control anything that happens off their servers.

The day I get banned for something said outside of CCP's direct control (forums, game, servers, etc) is the day I suddenly fell victim to a hacking attempt.

"Obviously, CCP, my twitter account was hacked, someone set me up. Prove otherwise."

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Curious Bear
Doomheim
#5 - 2013-12-21 01:53:37 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:
Nope. CCP can't control anything "

So its ok to do?
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#6 - 2013-12-21 01:54:06 UTC
Nope. CCP can't control anything that happens off their servers.

The day I get banned for something said outside of CCP's direct control (forums, game, servers, etc) is the day I suddenly fell victim to a hacking attempt.

"Obviously, CCP, my twitter account was hacked, someone set me up. Prove otherwise."

There are some fleet chat logs.

:colbert:

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Eyelight ZeCyno
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2013-12-21 02:10:01 UTC
Curious Bear wrote:

Y/N

Discuss.

you sure are mad about this, maybe you should concentrate on actually fighting, instead of crying to ccp to save your space. however, this is expected from the f1 buttan mashers that are PL/Pets.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#8 - 2013-12-21 02:12:29 UTC
Curious Bear wrote:
So its ok to do?

Why wouldn't it be?
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#9 - 2013-12-21 02:16:29 UTC
Eyelight ZeCyno wrote:
Curious Bear wrote:

Y/N

Discuss.

you sure are mad about this, maybe you should concentrate on actually fighting, instead of crying to ccp to save your space. however, this is expected from the f1 buttan mashers that are PL/Pets.

Hey, hey HEY

They assign drones, it's much more skill-based

Xavier Higdon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-12-21 02:21:44 UTC
Goon button mashers calling out N3 button mashers.... Best thread ever.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2013-12-21 02:27:40 UTC
This is not in any way GM impersonation.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Leigh Akiga
Kuhri Innovations
#12 - 2013-12-21 02:29:25 UTC
Curious Bear wrote:
So its ok to do?

I think this will answer all your questions

http://i.imgur.com/9AlALX1.jpg
Curious Bear
Doomheim
#13 - 2013-12-21 02:34:42 UTC
Eyelight ZeCyno wrote:

you sure are mad about this

My dear boy you are mistaken, im verry happy about this, though i suppose the fault is mine for not being more clear.

Work got slow towards the end of the day today so i was browsing the forums and stumbled upon the latest DBRB saga. The fact that so many bears bought into the false GM response has given me renewed interest in scamming. I inted to use it to my favor in the future and was just wondering if im going to get sqaushed by the ban hammer.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#14 - 2013-12-21 02:39:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Curious Bear wrote:
The fact that so many bears bought into the false GM response has given me renewed interest in scamming. I inted to use it to my favor in the future and was just wondering if im going to get sqaushed by the ban hammer.

You will be if you're thinking about using it that way…
Lady Areola Fappington
#15 - 2013-12-21 02:40:59 UTC
Curious Bear wrote:
Eyelight ZeCyno wrote:

My dear boy you are mistaken, im verry happy about this, though i suppose the fault is mine for not being more clear.

Work got slow towards the end of the day today so i was browsing the forums and stumbled upon the latest DBRB saga. The fact that so many bears bought into the false GM response has given me renewed interest in scamming. I inted to use it to my favor in the future and was just wondering if im going to get sqaushed by the ban hammer.

I expect the second you bring it into eve will be the second you get nailed for GM impersonation.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Curious Bear
Doomheim
#16 - 2013-12-21 02:47:20 UTC

I expect the second you bring it into eve will be the second you get nailed for GM impersonation.

100% agreed. All i have to do is get them to look at a source outside eve (twitter for example, but not what im going to use) with an ingame name tied to it to make it seem legit and i should be in the clear?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#17 - 2013-12-21 02:50:21 UTC
Curious Bear wrote:
100% agreed. All i have to do is get them to look at a source outside eve (twitter for example, but not what im going to use) with an ingame name tied to it to make it seem legit and i should be in the clear?

Only if what you do has nothing to do with the game, so unless you're going to pull a real-life confidence scam on them, you're not going to get anything. Of course, if you do that, you'll have real-world laws and sentencing to worry about.
Grimm Liberty
#18 - 2013-12-21 02:53:49 UTC
Curious Bear wrote:
Eyelight ZeCyno wrote:

um, I am new here, but isn't what you JUST SAID against the rules HERE?
You talk about "INTENDING to impersonate a GM" while on their Forums?
LOL
Curious Bear
Doomheim
#19 - 2013-12-21 02:58:34 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Only if what you do has nothing to do with the game, so unless you're going to pull a real-life confidence scam on them, you're not going to get anything. Of course, if you do that, you'll have real-world laws and sentencing to worry about.

This is where i disagree.

The Goonswarm and various Goon figureheads have often stated that they rely on the 'meta-gaming' aspect of eve as much as any tangible mechanic and it is a gameplay element that even CCP recognizes.

So provided DBRB has been cleared of any wrongdoing on this sort of 'meta-gaming' scamming surely i can manipulate his method to affect other areas of gameplay and not be found at fault?
Lady Areola Fappington
#20 - 2013-12-21 03:00:45 UTC
Curious Bear wrote:

No. The second you bring it in-game is the second you get nailed.

Since there seems to be some confusion, Boat didn't bring anything into EVE. He didn't use anything for any sort of in-game advantage. He never claimed to be a GM.

Your proposal brings the deception into EVE for gain, in some way. Hence why it fails.

Also, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but DBRB never really directly says "I am banned here's the note". Lots of implication and such, but never direct lines.

123Next pageLast page