These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Cloaks and FW

Author
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#1 - 2013-12-12 05:36:04 UTC
I jump in, and look around. Just one unfriendly in local. I don't see anything in space, so he's probably just docked. I head to an Amarr Small Outpost that is already open, and get to business capturing it. I carefully check d-scan, and the hostile isn't around. A couple of minutes in, though... AN ASTERO POPS UP OUT OF NOWHERE, points me, and bam, i'm dead. Then, in local:

"lol gf, i was afk :D"

CCP, this has gone too far. REMOVE AFK CLOAKING NOW! As time goes on it encroaches more and more on a multitude of forms of legitimate game play. Cloaks are absolutely overpowered and there is no counter. So... eoither nerf cloaks or ADD A COUNTER. One of those nifty deployable mods you're having fun coding, like a cyno jammer but a cloak jammer.

Is it really that hard to reward AFK play more than legitimate at-the-keyboard play, and enable people who mostly don't even play the game to reap rewards at no risk? Come on.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Heavypredator Singh
Collective-Company
#2 - 2013-12-12 05:53:29 UTC
It takes around 5 seconds before he can target You. In that time You can warp out. You can have stabs. You can kill him. Lots of options. Cloak is not op.
I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#3 - 2013-12-12 05:56:26 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
I jump in, and look around. Just one unfriendly in local. I don't see anything in space, so he's probably just docked. I head to an Amarr Small Outpost that is already open, and get to business capturing it. I carefully check d-scan, and the hostile isn't around. A couple of minutes in, though... AN ASTERO POPS UP OUT OF NOWHERE, points me, and bam, i'm dead. Then, in local:

CCP, this has gone too far. REMOVE AFK CLOAKING NOW! As time goes on it encroaches more and more on a multitude of forms of legitimate game play. Cloaks are absolutely overpowered and there is no counter. So... eoither nerf cloaks or ADD A COUNTER. One of those nifty deployable mods you're having fun coding, like a cyno jammer but a cloak jammer.

Is it really that hard to reward AFK play more than legitimate at-the-keyboard play, and enable people who mostly don't even play the game to reap rewards at no risk? Come on.

So, perhaps you should have actually checked to see if he was docked before going to the complex? Kind of your fault for not checking first.
Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#4 - 2013-12-12 05:59:07 UTC
Cloaking modules should use fuel, like say heavy water or something. No fuel = no cloak.
SurrenderMonkey
Space Llama Industries
#5 - 2013-12-12 06:49:06 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
I got outplayed, must be something wrong with the game. People who outplay me are not playing legitimately.

Just play better next time.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#6 - 2013-12-12 06:59:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Pak Narhoo
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
so he's probably just docked.

You blame cloaks, not your bad assumption skills for getting killed?

Next!
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#7 - 2013-12-12 07:03:38 UTC
Yeah, I would think you could build a fit to survive a ishkur just as well as a astero

And like the others above mentioned, the SoE ships dont have any bonus to reduce the locking delay from decloaking, you had time you derp....

The Drake is a Lie

Mistress Rose
Defensores Fidei
#8 - 2013-12-12 07:05:12 UTC
Ya know what happens when you ASSUME things....it makes an ShockedAttentionAttention outta you and me.
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-12-12 07:19:55 UTC
Ptraci wrote:
Cloaking modules should use fuel, like say heavy water or something. No fuel = no cloak.

Docking should use fuel, like say heavy water or something. No fuel = no docking.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-12-12 07:23:27 UTC
I was in Highsec a few days ago, doing missions in my CNR when suddenly my heart rate rose, I got sweaty palms and shaky hands. Because suddenly I realized, 20 Tornados an Interceptor and a Falcon could undock anytime and gank me... Shocked

Docking is OP, fix afk dockingAttentionShocked

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#11 - 2013-12-12 07:35:40 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
CCP, this has gone too far.

How dare people engage me in legitimate PvP combat.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2013-12-12 07:39:28 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:

There's a whole lotta butthurt here.

"legitimate game play" Big smileBig smileBig smile who made you Judge?

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Roime
Shiva Furnace
#13 - 2013-12-12 07:41:24 UTC
I'd give everyone in CalMil an Astero if that would make them shoot me after decloaking

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2013-12-12 07:41:33 UTC
Debora Tsung wrote:
Ptraci wrote:

Docking should use fuel, like say heavy water or something. No fuel = no docking.

I agree, using a Stargate should use fuel also. No Fuel = no Stargate. I'm serious here, once a guy without fuel jumped though a Stargate and killed me. Waaaaay OP!.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-12-12 07:45:27 UTC
If he was really AFK while he decloaked and pointed you, you should petition him for bot use.
Jove Death
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-12-12 08:07:00 UTC
Sounds more like he was cloaked off the gate watching chars come in.

Saw you warp to where you went. Frigate does go fast in warp you know

Then bam your dead

Or he could have been cloaked in the gate you were in and snook up on you and bam your dead. TBH this is afk cloak, hes prob there watchin you from the point you came in.

However

\o/ ban cloaks
whilst your there ban falcons and t3's and well ban everything. We can all fly shuttles and give peace and love man...Lol

Quoting "you will die" in EvE is fail Chars dont die in EvE. Unless you have a heart attack eek.

Seven Koskanaiken
Guerillas in the Mist
Outlanders United
#17 - 2013-12-12 13:35:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Seven Koskanaiken
This is the counter to dscan.

You could have docked and checked the station guests beforehand.
Remiel Pollard
Shock Treatment Ministries
#18 - 2013-12-12 13:38:58 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:

Got this far, and realised I knew your problem.

You believed him.

Clearly, he wasn't afk, or he wouldn't have killed you. Maybe, if you'd fit for pvp, instead of plexing, you would have killed him instead.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Seven Koskanaiken
Guerillas in the Mist
Outlanders United
#19 - 2013-12-12 13:40:03 UTC
Ptraci wrote:

Except he wasn't AFK if he pointed so he could have fueled his cloak and OP would still be complaining. People against cloaking are the same as the anti ECM crowd, they offer "solutions" which are really just increments to their real goal...total removal from the game of cloaks/ECM/whatever bothers them.
Amber Kurvora
#20 - 2013-12-12 13:47:20 UTC
"There's a game mechanic I don't like, waaaaaaah!"

Sorry, but it's a legitimate tactic to use. I got ganked the other day by a stealth bomber, the pilot of whom had scanned down the exploration site I was working ahead of time. Did I complain? No, I sat down, sighed a little inwardly, tipped my hat to the fella and got on with things.

You lose ships in Eve to nefarious individuals who use tactics such as that to get kills. Deal with it, and for the love of God, never set foot in wormhole space; your mind will explode with all the cloaking involved.
123Next page