These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Accessing 3rd Party Reseller Specials in Australasia

Author
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1 - 2013-12-11 06:15:28 UTC
If you live in Australia, New Zealand or many of the Asian countries close by, you may have noticed we have no access to many of the deals offered by 3rd party resellers of eve products.

I recently found a deal being offered by 1 such reseller - 3 months game time for $29.95AU. (A saving of nearly $14 at current exchange rates)
The problem arose when I clicked the "Pay Now" link. I was informed by a popup message that I was unable to purchase this item as I was not a resident of the country in which the company running the promo was located.

After several emails and a support ticket, I found our part of the world is excluded from a lot of these offers, not due to CCP or the individual companies but because of limits put on these companies by their respective countries legislators. Selling certain commodities to overseas countries is frowned upon.

My idea;
CCP could via Account management offer some of the special deals available via 3rd party resellers to residents of countries not eligible to use the 3rd party sites.

EG; Amazon.US has a special deal on game time - 3 months for $29.95AU, available for 7 days. CCP could make this deal available to residents of Australasia. You would log in to account management and under "DEALS" or whatever you would see available products at the discounted price.

The "Deals" section of account management would only be available to residents of Australasia, so as to not affect sales of resellers.

This could be a win - win situation. CCP sells more products in a market not available to existing resellers and we get access to discounts not currently available to us.

If this idea gets enough support it could influence CCP Marketing to set something up for this part of the world, so that we too can take advantage of specials to play the game we all invest our time and money in.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris
Republic Military Tax Avoiders
#2 - 2013-12-11 06:32:13 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:

My idea;
CCP could via Account management offer some of the special deals available via 3rd party resellers to residents of countries not eligible to use the 3rd party sites.

This could be a win - win situation. CCP sells more products in a market not available to existing resellers and we get access to discounts not currently available to us.

If this idea gets enough support it could influence CCP Marketing to set something up for this part of the world, so that we too can take advantage of specials to play the game we all invest our time and money in.

Or you could use a proxy, VPN or Thor or any other similar service to appear as legal customer for those resellers as long as goods you purchase from them are digital.

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#3 - 2013-12-11 10:32:44 UTC
Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

My idea;

Or you could use a proxy, VPN or Thor or any other similar service to appear as legal customer for those resellers as long as goods you purchase from them are digital.

Key word there I think is "Appear".
Of course it is possible to find work around's to the restrictions and if you have no ethics or respect for the laws of other countries, that works.
Consider though, why should a fairly large player population be forced to break another countries laws to get what others get legally?

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris
#4 - 2013-12-11 12:22:47 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Of course it is possible to find work around's to the restrictions and if you have no ethics or respect for the laws of other countries, that works.
Consider though, why should a fairly large player population be forced to break another countries laws to get what others get legally?

Then dont break the law and either dont buy or find a friend that can buy and send it to you.

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#5 - 2013-12-11 12:34:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Sgt Ocker
Sgt Ocker wrote:

Then dont break the law and either dont buy or find a friend that can buy and send it to you.
You can't send instant access to anyone, the only way to do that would be to give your friend access to your account, user name and password, breaching the EULA of Eveonline.
NB; the person purchasing it for you could face prosecution in their own country. Unlikely I agree but it could happen as they are in all senses of the meaning, breaking the law.

Right now there is no legal way for people living in this TZ or surrounding TZ's to access discounts and offers available to the rest of the player population,
Why should we be forced to miss out on things CCP is offering (via 3rd party providers) simply because of the laws of other countries?

My opinions are mine.

Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris
#6 - 2013-12-11 13:26:49 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:

Right now there is no legal way for people living in this TZ or surrounding TZ's to access discounts and offers available to the rest of the player population,
Why should we be forced to miss out on things CCP is offering (via 3rd party providers) simply because of the laws of other countries?

Those offers/discounts are a courtesy of resellers and not CCP, why should CCP bother with every little PR action that all those internet shops might do? Ask your local resellers why dont they provide similar offers.

Also: Teamviewer or any other remote control application allows to "use" friend's PC without sharing your account credentials.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#7 - 2013-12-12 00:27:00 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:

Those offers/discounts are a courtesy of resellers and not CCP, why should CCP bother with every little PR action that all those internet shops might do? Ask your local resellers why dont they provide similar offers.

Also: Teamviewer or any other remote control application allows to "use" friend's PC without sharing your account credentials.

Ahh but you do need to provide the account credentials and be logged in to complete the offers.
This part of the world has no such resellers. So yes why should CCP bother with Marketing PR for such a small user base, simple to answer. The part of the world concerned is close to 2/3 of the worlds population. This market is still growing, more and more people in this part of the world are gaining access the internet every day, why would CCP not want to try and cash in on this?
The deals offered by resellers are between CCP marketing and the reseller. No reseller can discount a product of another company without their permission. All I'm asking for is a way to "legally" access some of these offers.

1 gaming company recently managed to get into the Chinese gaming market and their player base increased by 60% in less than 3 months. CCP don't want a part of that?

My opinions are mine.

NaK'Lin
7-2 Ronin
#8 - 2013-12-12 05:58:34 UTC  |  Edited by: NaK'Lin
Quote:
BLABLABLA

The deals offered by resellers are between CCP marketing and the reseller.

BLABLABLA

1 gaming company recently managed to get into the Chinese gaming market and their player base increased by 60% in less than 3 months. CCP don't want a part of that?

Let's clarify something. I'm in a good mood, these are the forums and I will behave. If you'd be in Jita local you'd get a "stop being poor" and "you're not entitled to ANYTHING", deal with it.

Now to your actual points:
(1) You're right, the deals between resellers and CCP are THEIR business, and it is THEIR choice to offer it to a restricted region. There's also taxes and other issues, such as other resellers to take into account when a reseller might not offer global spcial deals.
Now, you can complain all you want, but just because Audi sells their car Cheaper in the US and with an awesome financing plan doesn't mean I should and will get the same deal in another part of the world.
Doth that compute?

(2)
Name the gaming company that managed to "get into the Chinese market", pls, instead of coming with hogwash.
For those who got into the market, its for the games IN Chinese IN China. Not for their game in the US, selling subscriptions in China. Doesn't work that way.
Let me enlighten you about the SEA region and China.
For a company to operate an MMO in China (in other words, to promote it, to sell game time codes, to actually make money off of it IN China) the Chinese government requires that company to PHYSICALLY host the game within China. this has to do among other things with content control, the censor bureau and technology.
This is the reason why EVE in China runs on SERENITY server and Chinese players (officially) don't play on TQ. the same goes for WoW. their servers are also hosted in China and only for the Chinese.

The gaming company's only choice is : do i want a piece of the pie? Is the pie worth me putting down my Intellectual Property and technology in China and in a FORCED joint-venture (because you aren't allowed to run it alone. WOW Used to run with 9 Cities, then they Switched. CCP Had the same, they're on their second JV partner, afaik, for C-EVE)?

So please no unsubstantiated things that are irrelevant to the argument about Chinese gaming market and legislation.

my 2c,
NaK

Also : CCP, any job openings in Shanghai again soon?
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#9 - 2013-12-12 23:53:06 UTC
NaK'Lin wrote:
Quote:
BLABLABLA

The deals offered by resellers are between CCP marketing and the reseller.

BLABLABLA

Let's clarify something. I'm in a good mood, these are the forums and I will behave. If you'd be in Jita local you'd get a "stop being poor" and "you're not entitled to ANYTHING", deal with it.

Now to your actual points:
(1) You're right, the deals between resellers and CCP are THEIR business, and it is THEIR choice to offer it to a restricted region. There's also taxes and other issues, such as other resellers to take into account when a reseller might not offer global spcial deals.
Now, you can complain all you want, but just because Audi sells their car Cheaper in the US and with an awesome financing plan doesn't mean I should and will get the same deal in another part of the world.
Doth that compute?

(2)
Name the gaming company that managed to "get into the Chinese market", pls, instead of coming with hogwash.
For those who got into the market, its for the games IN Chinese IN China. Not for their game in the US, selling subscriptions in China. Doesn't work that way.
Let me enlighten you about the SEA region and China.
For a company to operate an MMO in China (in other words, to promote it, to sell game time codes, to actually make money off of it IN China) the Chinese government requires that company to PHYSICALLY host the game within China. this has to do among other things with content control, the censor bureau and technology.
This is the reason why EVE in China runs on SERENITY server and Chinese players (officially) don't play on TQ. the same goes for WoW. their servers are also hosted in China and only for the Chinese.

The gaming company's only choice is : do i want a piece of the pie? Is the pie worth me putting down my Intellectual Property and technology in China and in a FORCED joint-venture (because you aren't allowed to run it alone. WOW Used to run with 9 Cities, then they Switched. CCP Had the same, they're on their second JV partner, afaik, for C-EVE)?

So please no unsubstantiated things that are irrelevant to the argument about Chinese gaming market and legislation.

my 2c,
NaK

Use your obviously amazing brain and look it up. Sea Region is a huge market and if some companies don't care to cater for it, someone else will.

NB; Sea region is a lot more than china. of course being a good troll you picked 1 thing and ran with it.

Yes the Chinese market is a fickle 1, the restrictions can be daunting but it is such a huge market many a prepared to go there.

You really should stick to trolling Jita, nothing in my post is unsubstantiated. All you have to do is look up the information, ask CCP and half a dozen resellers.. I did.

Obviously people from this region of the world don't care and all this thread is attracting is trolls..
Not going to bother with it, if comes a time I can't plex my accounts I'll decide what to do then. If duping some overseas company for a discount is what it takes then why not. It does seem to be the prevailing opinion anyway, why should i do anything different

My opinions are mine.

NaK'Lin
7-2 Ronin
#10 - 2013-12-13 04:17:16 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
NaK'Lin wrote:
my own blergh

Use your obviously amazing brain and look it up. Sea Region is a huge market and if some companies don't care to cater for it, someone else will.

NB; Sea region is a lot more than china. of course being a good troll you picked 1 thing and ran with it.

Yes the Chinese market is a fickle 1, the restrictions can be daunting but it is such a huge market many a prepared to go there.

You really should stick to trolling Jita, nothing in my post is unsubstantiated. All you have to do is look up the information, ask CCP and half a dozen resellers.. I did.

Obviously people from this region of the world don't care and all this thread is attracting is trolls..
Not going to bother with it, if comes a time I can't plex my accounts I'll decide what to do then. If duping some overseas company for a discount is what it takes then why not. It does seem to be the prevailing opinion anyway, why should i do anything different

My intention wasn't to troll you. It was to show how your example of China was flawed and wrong, all while pointing out that CCP is ALREADY China (so, even if your China example would've been valid, you still argued right past your own request)

However:
(A) I didn't pick China as an example, YOU did. I ran with your example.

(B) SEA is a very lucrative market, yes, it encompasses mostly TW, SG, KOR, JPN. I put AU as their own region in Sales/Marketing terms because of cultural and language similarities with EU/US. CHN is a separate market because of legislation and hurdles. It also is potentially large enough to encompass the rest of SEA.

(C) I AM in this region, I do live and work in China at times, as well as the rest of SEA, so I pretty much can sing ballads of the troubles one can have to play MMOs from here, Credit Cards being rejected, Purchases not going through, special Offers not applying, English versions not being available and the Download link rejecting regional IP addresses, etc etc etc....

(D) I will repeat this for you : You are Whining about not having access to a special offer. I will put this in words that might be more straight : If you can't afford 15 USD / month for EvE and must stop playing, you better put this gametime to use and look for another employer.
But you are not entitled to offers that are limited to a region. you are not entitled to drive the car you want and ask for an offer applicable in america in your AUS dealership. Should you not be able to afford a car, then do not drive.

(E) I found for the periods of time when I have a project in China, that getting PLEX was a PITA, because many resellers will reject a Credit Card from Hong Kong, registered to a European Citizen with a temporary residence in China. Something about scam/fraud flags jumping up and dancing in a merry circle.
I am very well able to PLEX my accounts with ISK now. You can contact me in-game if you need pointers or support. This is meant in an honest way. I know how much of a pain it can be in this region.

(F) Last but not least, if I ever would have to buy PLEX again for the accounts, I used to buy them online, in China, for about 20 EURO / 60 DAY GTC / 2PLEX. That's less than going one night for dinner, really. I don't know what you usually pay and how much your budget is.

I believe your whole OP is wrong and an unsubstantiated and selfish whining request.
But I can see where you're coming from.
You can evemail me and maybe I can help you out.
(I'm actually not a troll nor an evil person, unless it's a Monday)

--NaK

PS: Sorry for the wall of text. TL;DR : You Wrong, You QQ, I may be able to help you, contact me.