These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Undock Broadcast buttons from Fleet Window

Author
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#1 - 2013-11-25 21:40:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
An idea that jumped to my mind again after some time of fleetless playing:

First off a illustration of the status quo: Fleet Window Broadcast Area

As you can see, the broadcast buttons are crammed at the bottom of fleet window and they are quite tiny. This makes them not only hard to reach and easy to miss, but the fleet window is also difficult to position on the screen for optimal accessibility (unless you have grown accustomed to your setup over the years).

Now, what I suggest is to be able to undock the bottom part of the fleet window with the broadcast buttons and be able to move it around freely on the screen. This way you can put the broadcast buttons closer to where your mouse usually lingers around: at the watchlist, the selected items window, targets, drones window, chat, whatever. This way you can access the buttons easier and the fleet window itself doesn't clutter up chunks of your screen.

Some now might say that the fleet window is important, but that's not true for most of the fleet members. Only the FC and logis actually need the fleet window regularly. The first to check fleet comp and positions and drag people around, the latter for the broadcast tab. The normal damage dealer usually only needs to click on broadcast buttons for reps. And for that end, you only need to have the bottom line of the window.

Another thing in this regard is the mentioned size of the buttons themselves. They are simply too small; for easier access they should be at least 100 % larger, similar to the size of the icons in the Selected Items window. While this would make the fleet window unnecessarily larger, an undockable dock with the icons would be perfect for larger icons.

Opinions?

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#2 - 2013-12-01 13:32:06 UTC
And a pull back to page 1. I will get my opinions. Twisted

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-12-01 13:33:23 UTC
You can bind hotkeys for all the broadcast commands. Clicking the tiny buttons is way too inefficient.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#4 - 2013-12-01 13:41:43 UTC
Broadcasting via shortcuts is one thing; in my opinion, however, it is as prone for mistakes as the current small icons in the fleet window. Hence, the icons should be improved and they should be a separate dock/small window that you can position freely on the monitor to have it there where you click around with your mouse anyways.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#5 - 2013-12-06 13:26:19 UTC
More opinions. Or does everyone else has the same opinion as the previous commenter? Hardly believeable when I watch videos and see how many people use the mouse to press the broadcast buttons.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#6 - 2013-12-10 15:17:46 UTC
This definitely needs more attention so that the devs don't get any rest before it is implemented. Roll

Praesus Lecti
The Terrifying League Of Dog Fort
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2013-12-10 16:42:31 UTC
Keyboard shortcuts are far more efficient than moving a cursor around the screen. If anything, you want to encourage the use of shortcuts over mouse clicks. Once you have shortcuts set up, you don't need to have that list of icons showing. Besides, you're less likely to miss-enter a keyboard shortcut than you miss-click something.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#8 - 2013-12-10 17:14:22 UTC
Is it? How quickly does it happen that you forget to press Shift from your CTRL-Shift+[Key] combination to broadcast armor or that you type something and you have your broadcast as a single X or E and broadcast things, because you clicked somewhere on the screen? Moreover, not everyone is apt in touch typing system or can move fingers around the keyboard without looking what the extremities are doing.

While both touch typing system and knowing without looking where which key on the keyboard are important abilities, learning takes time. But for those who are more into using graphical interfaces than keys, it should be easier to use the interface instead of being forced to adopt to one way of handling things. You now can argue that making the use of the UI easier prevents the users from actually learning to use the keyboard more often, and I object. I use the UI heavily, but I also use the keyboard heavily, for different things different approaches, sometimes more keyboard, sometimes more clicking. Other persons do that as well, and learners (new players) have a sort of predefined preference already and are going to use this preferred manipulation style anyways. It's just going to be harder for those who like to click and are actually more efficient with clicking than shortcuts in certain areas.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#9 - 2013-12-20 18:17:03 UTC
Some more opinions on this required.