These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Star Citizen won't kill EVE, the Oculus Rift will.

Author
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-11-22 07:40:03 UTC
I've been beating around the bush about this because I have not had personal experience with the product, but this Wednesday I received an Oculus Rift and have been playing it non-stop (in lieu of playing Rubicon).

Suffice to say, the people on Youtube were right. It is amazing and revolutionary. The only problems I find with it are motion sickness and the low resolution. Which copious amounts of alcohol seems to resolve the former and the latter will be resolved by the consumer version which will have 1080p graphics.

The issue is that I believe from my impression is that people will try the Oculus Rift and they will like it. Not only that they will stop playing non-rift games because its that amazing.

I'm not going to go on and on about how great it is. You can watch the youtube reviews if and reactions if you want. I'm not going to come to your house and let you use my rift to prove my point (I don't want your coodies). I just have a feeling that when its released in the high-rez version that people will like it and they will only want to play games using it.

I mean people on the Rift forums have said it has spoilt regular games and even GTA V seems dull in comparison.

CCP has realized this and has put 20 engineers on developing Valkyrie. And that is quite some effort. They understand that this is revolutionary technology we are dealing with and they should capitalize on this as soon as possible. The CEO has been quoted of saying how he believes people will buy the Rift.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/01/hilmar-petursson-interview-oculus-rift-vr/

I personally feel (and most likely CCP since they are spending a great deal of resources on the project) that Valkyrie will be a success because of the Oculus Rift. People will buy the Rift and then they will play Valkyrie. If I recall correctly didn't they say people were lining out the door to play the Valkyrie demos on the EVE Vegas videos?

But where does that leave EVE? Will people have time enough to play both games? Will people want to play EVE with its non-immersive graphics?

My speculation is that people will stop playing EVE because they want to play Rift only games. Don't get all uppity at this statement. This also includes games like World of Warcraft if they don't support the Rift either.

So with people leaving EVE to play Valkyrie or Star Citizen (which also supports the Rift), the game will only be left with people who refuse to upgrade their computers.

But it doesn't have to be this way... EVE can be retrofitted to support the Oculus Rift. It would take time and effort and they have at least two years before the Rift gets critical mass (well the consumer version will most likely be released Christmas of 2014). They would have to change the camera setup and increase font sizes and make it accessible to the Rift.

And it would be amazing. Stereoscopic planets in full 3d beauty. Weapon effects that pop out and ships that look immersive. I was playing Titans of Space and admiring the planets in the demo and thought to myself how great EVE would be if it had support the Oculus Rift.

Otherwise... I can only see the revolution leaving EVE behind.

We live in interesting times.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Vordek Rei
Masters of Mass
#2 - 2013-11-22 07:44:15 UTC
Yea 3D mining or 3D market speculation is just what I need.
Microsoft should also make an Excel Oculus version.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2013-11-22 07:46:48 UTC
I don't care about having an immersive game experience. I care about having an interactive game experience. That's something that EVE does better than any other game.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Vordek Rei
Masters of Mass
#4 - 2013-11-22 07:48:26 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
I don't care about having an immersive game experience. I care about having an interactive game experience. That's something that EVE does better than any other game.

Well said - have a like Cool
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-11-22 08:03:51 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

And if a game had better interactivity and immersion?

Not going to name any names.

I think the naysayers problem is they just haven't tried it. Its like a drug. Once you try it, you realize how wrong everything was beforehand.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Bleg
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-11-22 08:09:02 UTC
Vordek Rei wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Well said - have a like Cool

me like
masternerdguy
Doomheim
#7 - 2013-11-22 08:11:10 UTC
Star Citizen will join all the previous EVE killers in the pit.

Star Trek Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic, X Rebirth.

Guess who's next on the chopping block?

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#8 - 2013-11-22 08:11:10 UTC
CCP will kill EVE. Nothing else can.
Ashina Sito
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-11-22 08:31:33 UTC
The reasons why your wrong.

1) Rift will cost money, a fair bit of money.

Many people that play computer games have older systems. While they may (or may not) be able to use the Rift many owners have old systems because they don't want or can't afford to upgrade. They will not be able to afford Rift.

2) Eve is spreadsheets in space. There is NO immersion. You can play eve with just the overview and dots x's in space and be fine, a lot of people do. Eve graphics are and always will be secondary to game play.

Unless they can get the price point to < $50 USD Eve will be fine.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#10 - 2013-11-22 08:35:40 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

But think about the missile effects on your torps as you shoot ncdot renter sov structures

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Karen Avioras
The Raging Raccoons
#11 - 2013-11-22 08:39:09 UTC
The only thing Star Citizen has showed off is walking in a hangar. That's like bethesda making a massive hype over skyrim being a massive rpg and then only showing the inside of the Whiterun house.
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2013-11-22 08:40:49 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
I've been beating around the bush about this because I have not had personal experience with the product, but this Wednesday I received an Oculus Rift and have been playing it non-stop (in lieu of playing Rubicon).

Suffice to say, the people on Youtube were right. It is amazing and revolutionary. The only problems I find with it are motion sickness and the low resolution. Which copious amounts of alcohol seems to resolve the former and the latter will be resolved by the consumer version which will have 1080p graphics.

The issue is that I believe from my impression is that people will try the Oculus Rift and they will like it. Not only that they will stop playing non-rift games because its that amazing.

I'm not going to go on and on about how great it is. You can watch the youtube reviews if and reactions if you want. I'm not going to come to your house and let you use my rift to prove my point (I don't want your coodies). I just have a feeling that when its released in the high-rez version that people will like it and they will only want to play games using it.

I mean people on the Rift forums have said it has spoilt regular games and even GTA V seems dull in comparison.

CCP has realized this and has put 20 engineers on developing Valkyrie. And that is quite some effort. They understand that this is revolutionary technology we are dealing with and they should capitalize on this as soon as possible. The CEO has been quoted of saying how he believes people will buy the Rift.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/01/hilmar-petursson-interview-oculus-rift-vr/

I personally feel (and most likely CCP since they are spending a great deal of resources on the project) that Valkyrie will be a success because of the Oculus Rift. People will buy the Rift and then they will play Valkyrie. If I recall correctly didn't they say people were lining out the door to play the Valkyrie demos on the EVE Vegas videos?

But where does that leave EVE? Will people have time enough to play both games? Will people want to play EVE with its non-immersive graphics?

My speculation is that people will stop playing EVE because they want to play Rift only games. Don't get all uppity at this statement. This also includes games like World of Warcraft if they don't support the Rift either.

So with people leaving EVE to play Valkyrie or Star Citizen (which also supports the Rift), the game will only be left with people who refuse to upgrade their computers.

But it doesn't have to be this way... EVE can be retrofitted to support the Oculus Rift. It would take time and effort and they have at least two years before the Rift gets critical mass (well the consumer version will most likely be released Christmas of 2014). They would have to change the camera setup and increase font sizes and make it accessible to the Rift.

And it would be amazing. Stereoscopic planets in full 3d beauty. Weapon effects that pop out and ships that look immersive. I was playing Titans of Space and admiring the planets in the demo and thought to myself how great EVE would be if it had support the Oculus Rift.

Otherwise... I can only see the revolution leaving EVE behind.

We live in interesting times.

IF the core population of eve was lookign for amazing immersion on graphics.. they woudl aready not be in eve.

Oculus rift will ahve minimal impact, because if you like eve, that is not what you put ahead when selecting a game.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2013-11-22 08:42:27 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

I think the naysayers problem is they just haven't tried it. Its like a drug. Once you try it, you realize how wrong everything was beforehand.

Immersion only gets in the way with the number of accounts EVE players tend to run.

Baali Tekitsu
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#14 - 2013-11-22 08:45:05 UTC
Vera Algaert wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Immersion only gets in the way with the number of accounts EVE players tend to run.

You mean multiboxing 6 accounts is not immersive?

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE

Tul Breetai
Impromptu Asset Requisition
#15 - 2013-11-22 08:45:51 UTC
Sweet, means we can actually work out having enough rift players avail to fill carriers.

There's nothing worse than an EVE player, generally considered to be top of the food chain in the MMO world, that cannot smacktalk with wit and coherency.

Toshiro Ozuwara
Perkone
#16 - 2013-11-22 09:01:07 UTC
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
You mean multiboxing 6 accounts is not immersive?

I am sure one of the publords from the CFC would be happy to tell us. Maybe TNT or CO2?

It didn't take long to locate the tracking beacon, deep inside the quarters for sleepin' They thought they could get away Not today, it's not the way that this kid plays

Inquisitor Ageri
Doomheim
#17 - 2013-11-22 09:01:27 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
I received an Oculus Rift and have been playing it non-stop (in lieu of playing Rubicon).

You don't "play" an Oculus Rift, you play another game with it. All this means is that you need to take a break from EVE like 99.9% of the playerbase eventually do.

TLDR, because most of it is brainfart anyway.
Eko Fromtv
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-11-22 09:01:53 UTC
I don't see either as a threat. If anything, EVE and SC will complement each other nicely.

Same goes for the Rift. It's novelty, a small percent of players will try it, even smaller will use it regularly. It is by no means a threat, it's an opportunity.

(Ice) Miner for life.

Xavier Quo
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2013-11-22 09:13:51 UTC
The Oculus is completely amazing, and is going to be around $300? However I tried the newer 1080p version and thought the resolution was still far too low. When the higher res tablet panels come through people will struggle to go back to non rift games as you say.

still immediately getting one though Lol
Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#20 - 2013-11-22 11:06:02 UTC
The Oculus is going to be awesome, but only for specific games. Sure it'll be great for action games, flying a spitfire or running around shooting stuff, but i'd hardly put EvE on the list it would be great for. You might as well argue that WoW is going to be ruined by it, which it clearly isn't as it just wouldn't work. Oh, and that it's going down the pan all by itself. Lol

I mean, what could it really bring to EvE. Instead of panning you view around manually, you look with your head? Big deal.

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

123Next pageLast page