These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

I'm failing at not failing... ie. avoiding the ganks as i scan sigs.

Author
judd lawr
Overneath
#1 - 2013-11-20 02:58:04 UTC
So, i've been struggling with having enough time in low sec to fully scan down a system for ded plexes.

I've only recently gotten into plexxing (it's hard but a lot of fun) and i'd like to continue progressing into content that feels appropriately challenging for my sp and ship.

That said, I tend to find myself in constant cat and mouse games with gankers as i attempt to scan down low sec systems, which ultimately causes me to take up to 20 minutes sometimes to scan a single signature. And while that can be fun, it gets tedious at times.

I mostly roll in Lonetrek and The Black Rise, is this a part of my problem? Am i trying to newb'plex in regions that are too populated for my inexperience?

Would it be beneficial to me to take a speed fit frigate with a MWD and bookmark myself a couple safe spots @ 1-2k from a random moon in system then do my scans? Or will people still be able to scan me down and nail me despite my relatively random location in space? I don't have any experience with scanning down other players for pvp so i don't really know what goes into that, or how efficient it is. I assume it's a fairly common practice as i've had people find me in some pretty desolate places.

Other than what I've asked about above, I don't really know what to do to give myself a bit more breathing room while attempting to chase down the isks.
SurrenderMonkey
Space Llama Industries
#2 - 2013-11-20 03:13:05 UTC
1. Yes, just pretend like the factional warfare regions don't exist for now.

2. The answer to your greater question is....


....cloaking device.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

judd lawr
Overneath
#3 - 2013-11-20 03:16:36 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
1. Yes, just pretend like the factional warfare regions don't exist for now.

2. The answer to your greater question is....


....cloaking device.



can i scan down sigs while cloaked? i had assumed i couldn't and i guess i never bothered to look it up.
SurrenderMonkey
Space Llama Industries
#4 - 2013-11-20 03:20:28 UTC
judd lawr wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
1. Yes, just pretend like the factional warfare regions don't exist for now.

2. The answer to your greater question is....


....cloaking device.



can i scan down sigs while cloaked? i had assumed i couldn't and i guess i never bothered to look it up.



Yes. You launch your probes, you cloak up, you do your scanning.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

judd lawr
Overneath
#5 - 2013-11-20 03:28:44 UTC  |  Edited by: judd lawr
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Yes. You launch your probes, you cloak up, you do your scanning.


Well... I guess the process of scanning down sigs in low sec is realistic after all :D
Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#6 - 2013-11-20 03:48:18 UTC
judd lawr wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Yes. You launch your probes, you cloak up, you do your scanning.


Well... I guess the process of scanning down sigs in low sec is realist after all :D


Of course.

Fortunately you can't hack when cloaked, so all I need do is scan the sig earlier, and wait till you decloak in the sig.
Neor Deninard
Blackwater Coalition Forces
Harkonnen Federation
#7 - 2013-11-20 05:59:13 UTC
But if it takes 20 minutes for you to scan down 1 sig, something is wrong with your skills or the technique you use ... with decent skills it should take you under 2 - 3 minutes (usually around a minute) for a sig.
judd lawr
Overneath
#8 - 2013-11-20 07:09:31 UTC
Neor Deninard wrote:
But if it takes 20 minutes for you to scan down 1 sig, something is wrong with your skills or the technique you use ... with decent skills it should take you under 2 - 3 minutes (usually around a minute) for a sig.


my problem wasn't a matter of technique, it was trying to multi task probe location and scan down while fleeing from would be gankers. It isn't always a problem, but there are times where i get in a sort of cat and mouse run down as i attempt to hone in on multi sig systems.
Neor Deninard
Blackwater Coalition Forces
Harkonnen Federation
#9 - 2013-11-20 07:49:11 UTC
Ah, well you already learned that you can scan and drop. I generally drop probes on exit gate -> warp to safe spot in system and while warping engage the covt ops cloak so I land cloaked and keep scanning. Warp -> cloak if rats or humans there of course. And drop probes at the safe and recloak.

A good way to make safe locations is by bookmarking old relic/data/DED sites, since they usually are off the beaten path and not between 2 gates. (esp. in null this is important, bubbles).

And always always keep a warp to point at 200 - 250km from each gate, for each system, preferably not in line with the previous gate, so you can check out what is waiting for you.

Null is better than low btw, less people, less being hunted.
judd lawr
Overneath
#10 - 2013-11-20 17:42:05 UTC
Neor Deninard wrote:
Ah, well you already learned that you can scan and drop. I generally drop probes on exit gate -> warp to safe spot in system and while warping engage the covt ops cloak so I land cloaked and keep scanning. Warp -> cloak if rats or humans there of course. And drop probes at the safe and recloak.

A good way to make safe locations is by bookmarking old relic/data/DED sites, since they usually are off the beaten path and not between 2 gates. (esp. in null this is important, bubbles).

And always always keep a warp to point at 200 - 250km from each gate, for each system, preferably not in line with the previous gate, so you can check out what is waiting for you.

Null is better than low btw, less people, less being hunted.



I feel like this should have come to me intuitively, it makes that much sense. Thanks man!!
Blasto
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-11-20 17:53:17 UTC
Tauranon wrote:
judd lawr wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Yes. You launch your probes, you cloak up, you do your scanning.


Well... I guess the process of scanning down sigs in low sec is realist after all :D


Of course.

Fortunately you can't hack when cloaked, so all I need do is scan the sig earlier, and wait till you decloak in the sig.


This is why i like to explore in a proteus. I'm hoping someone like you is waiting for me.
Ginger Barbarella
#12 - 2013-11-21 00:44:49 UTC
Fly into a quiet system; cloak; fly to some point somewhere; uncloak; launch probes; cloak; scan. When you fine something interesting recall probes, warp there (I use a cloaky Loki in low), stay just outside cloak range of the object to be hacked. Start it up. Keep an eye on dscan; as soon as you see probes out cloak. Wait.

Has worked just fine for me in quiet areas of Gallente and Amarr space; haven't really done much in Caldari space because of the population.

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac