These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Low sec ratting in a Thrasher

Author
Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-11-19 15:20:09 UTC
I've spent a few months ratting in low sec in my Thrasher and find it effective and fun. Are Thrashers (and destroyers in general) used for low sec ratting, or should I move up to a cruiser? I checked some fits on EFT and while cruisers have higher DPS on paper, they suffer in other areas like longer locking times, slower speeds, poorer tracking, higher fitting costs etc. Or should I train up for stealth bombers, although I understand that their torpedoes can't hit frigate-sized rats?
Batelle
Filthy Peasants
#2 - 2013-11-19 15:46:01 UTC
you can assume a cruiser's DPS output will be better unless you're flying terribly. speed, tracking, lock times are pretty irrelevant. A cruiser's slightly slower align time and warp speed won't be a big difference when going belt to belt either. What is relevant is that the destroyer is far more disposable and more agile.

Unless you're newish or poor, losing a cruiser here and there isn't a big deal. One option is to move it into lowsec and just leave it there, than way you're not jumping your ship repeatedly across a more-often camped lowsec-hisec gate.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

JAF Anders
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-11-20 17:40:35 UTC
Autocannons and a buffer shield tank will get you places. In all honesty, you could very easily get away with using a PvP fit and bring different ammo types to reload as you watch d-scan.

The pursuit of excellence and stabbed plexing alts.