These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Is it worth using T2 missiles or not?

Author
Ole' McDolan
Vastly Intellectual Tall Tax Union
#1 - 2013-11-17 17:41:56 UTC
Hey guys, im currently doing lv4 missions in high sec with my raven. The loadout is this:
http://eve.battleclinic.com/loadout/66362-Raven-PVE-Fit-Odyssey.html
Except that I use 1 Drone damage amplifier II instead of one Ballistic control system II.

Is it worth using T2 missiles in my Cruise missile launcher II or is it simply not worth it?
My goal is obviously to earn some fair amount of ISK.

Thanks.
Donbe Scurred
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-11-17 17:50:43 UTC
Not this again, ask Paul Othichoda.

Or ask yourself the question, is more damage better than less damage?Roll
Ole' McDolan
#3 - 2013-11-17 18:04:40 UTC
Yeah well of course that is a no brainer, however since the T2 missiles are more expensive, on could question the profitability of using them vs the time they save.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#4 - 2013-11-17 20:25:10 UTC
Donbe Scurred wrote:

Or ask yourself the question, is more damage better than less damage?Roll

It's obviously not.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Janna Sway
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2013-11-17 20:43:01 UTC
Donbe Scurred wrote:

I laughed at this comment so much! Big smile
IIshira
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-11-17 21:00:34 UTC
Ole' McDolan wrote:
Hey guys, im currently doing lv4 missions in high sec with my raven. The loadout is this:
Except that I use 1 Drone damage amplifier II instead of one Ballistic control system II.

Is it worth using T2 missiles in my Cruise missile launcher II or is it simply not worth it?
My goal is obviously to earn some fair amount of ISK.

Thanks.

The cost of T2 missiles is more than made up by the extra ISK you'll make. Just don't buy them from the closest station. Shop around.
IIshira
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-11-17 21:03:32 UTC
Ole' McDolan wrote:
Except that I use 1 Drone damage amplifier II instead of one Ballistic control system.

Why? You're taking away from your main DPS...
Ole' McDolan
#8 - 2013-11-17 21:25:22 UTC
IIshira wrote:
Ole' McDolan wrote:
Except that I use 1 Drone damage amplifier II instead of one Ballistic control system.

Is the 4th BCS worth it even with diminishing returns over 5 drones if I have drone interfacing at 5 + the drone damage amplifier?
Assuming I know how to keep drones busy and not just kite everything at max range?
Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2013-11-17 22:17:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Caleidascope
Ole' McDolan wrote:
IIshira wrote:
Ole' McDolan wrote:

Is the 4th BCS worth it even with diminishing returns over 5 drones if I have drone interfacing at 5 + the drone damage amplifier?
Assuming I know how to keep drones busy and not just kite everything at max range?

Depends.

I run raven with 222km targeting range, 221km cruise missile range.

My drones have 60km range.

I kill rats when they are 60-200km from me. Which means that my drones are mostly useless. I use my drones (t2 hobs) to kill rat frig swarms that I ignore because I am killing really juicy bs rats. I can have 8-12 rat frigs shooting at me and my shield goes down very slowly, so the rat frigs are not really important enemies, they can wait for a while, or I set my t2 hobs on them and I just keep killing bs, bc and cruiser rats.

I tried fitting drone omni mod in mid and dda in low. I was not impressed with what they did for me.

My current low are 4 bcs and a dc.
To me buffing the drone damage on my raven is not worth the slots/trouble.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

IIshira
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-11-17 22:38:57 UTC
Ole' McDolan wrote:
IIshira wrote:
Ole' McDolan wrote:

If you're keeping drones out you're probably getting more out of the DDA than the 4th BCS. I'm just not a big fan of light drones after the aggro changes so I kill everything with missiles. Of course I keep a flight lights just in case.
Ole' McDolan
#11 - 2013-11-17 22:49:24 UTC
Quote:
Depends.

I kill rats when they are 60-200km from me. Which means that my drones are mostly useless. I use my drones (t2 hobs) to kill rat frig swarms that I ignore because I am killing really juicy bs rats. I can have 8-12 rat frigs shooting at me and my shield goes down very slowly, so the rat frigs are not really important enemies, they can wait for a while, or I set my t2 hobs on them and I just keep killing bs, bc and cruiser rats.

I tried fitting drone omni mod in mid and dda in low. I was not impressed with what they did for me.

I can currently target only up to about 95 km with long range targeting 5 and no targeting range mods.. how do you get such a large targeting range with raven?
Anyway yeah, rats damage is not a problem, however some rats web/scram/jam and that gets annoying. And it is usually the frigs that do this, so I get rid of them with drones while I keep hitting the larger targets.

Quote:
If you're keeping drones out you're probably getting more out of the DDA than the 4th BCS. I'm just not a big fan of light drones after the aggro changes so I kill everything with missiles. Of course I keep a flight lights just in case.

Yeah, I noticed that very few ships target my hobs during lv4 missions, so I actually get to keep them out most of the time and there is usually plenty of frigs and similar to keep them occupied. Also when there are just the bigger ships left, i take out the hammerheads and let them pound away.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#12 - 2013-11-17 23:07:11 UTC
t1 missiles 599 dps, ~200 isk per unit.
t2 fury missiles 839 dps ~800 isk per unit

with a raven and a 6.34s rate of fire, and a crazy assumption of no reloads or breaks in shooting because I'm lazy, you would fire ~3400 missiles an hour. that results in about a 2mil per hour difference in ammo costs.

so does the extra dps increase your mission completion times by a sufficient margin to offset that cost? an extra 240 dps should give a nice bonus to completion times, and probably will offset that cost. Plus the faster you kill npcs the less reloads you need, and the more time you spend warping around, docking, and whatnot. All that brings the cost spread down even more.

all numbers +/- a bit depending on pimpage factor, skills, and implants.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Ole' McDolan
#13 - 2013-11-17 23:08:49 UTC
Yeah, i guess i ll start using the T2's then, you have a monocle after all.
Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2013-11-17 23:11:46 UTC
Ole' McDolan wrote:
Quote:
Depends.

I can currently target only up to about 95 km with long range targeting 5 and no targeting range mods.. how do you get such a large targeting range with raven?

Two sensor boosters with targeting range scripts.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

CMD Ishikawa
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2013-11-18 02:58:40 UTC
T2 missiles are totally worth it... you should have figured the reasons by now.

Ole' McDolan wrote:
Yeah, i guess i ll start using the T2's then, you have a monocle after all.

lol
stoicfaux
#16 - 2013-11-18 03:03:51 UTC
Back when I was keeping spreadsheets, ammo (faction/T2) for missions was running about 2-3% of mission income. So even though T2 scourge Fury ammo cost 4.5 times more then T1 scourge ammo, the 40% damage boost that Fury provides means you'll kill things faster which should more than cover the increased ammo cost. (Disclaimer: that was way back when, so if the markets have changed radically, then YMMV.)

Assuming of course, that you can actually apply the increased Fury DPS. Personally, I would drop the SBA for another TP.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Ole' McDolan
#17 - 2013-11-18 12:40:30 UTC
I tried this on NPC, and my fury missiles do the same damage as the precision ones.. how come? How do I make them do more damage?
Ole' McDolan
#18 - 2013-11-18 13:12:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Ole' McDolan
Anyway what about using 3 sentries and using omnidirectional links instead of two painters?
Or is the dps better if I use 2 painters rather than 3 sentries with omnilinks?
Thanks
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#19 - 2013-11-18 15:42:54 UTC
furies are primarialy for large targets. The bs and bc are pretty easy to hit well, and I hit the cruisers well enough I don't usually bother changing. that covers nearly all the npcs I shoot (let drones kill frigs, unless there is nothing else to shoot)

guided missile precision and target navigation prediction are the two damage application skills get them up if they aren't
or try some implants for those two skills. 3% implants are pretty cheap
also you can try fitting another painter, or training skills for target painters.

and I wouldn't bother with sentries on a standard raven, drone bandwidth got dropped to 50 so you could only use 2 sentries. not really worth doing now. and I'd much rather have another painter than an Omni.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Ole' McDolan
#20 - 2013-11-18 17:14:05 UTC
When did that drop to 50 happen? My EFT is still showing 75. It must have been very recently, no?
12Next page