These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[SUGGESTION] Small revamp of the text window in mails

Author
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#1 - 2013-11-08 14:12:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
It's only two small suggestions, but which can have a considerable impact on a better and faster readability of the text and recognition of separate elements of a written text.

The suggestion concentrates on the link-feature of the text editor. It currently is a cumbersome feature that slows workflow and writing mails down instead of accelerating it. It also causes problems in form or unnecessary effort and broken links.

A TL:DR is at the end of the post.

Firstly, check the linked picture: Main Mail Window

You notice the green square enclosing the small and dim letters URL. Yes, they exist and they are an actual button. Not many people seem to know that, because I constantly receive mails with URLs in the text that is not a link but only plain text. I have to copy the text link into a browser to actually view the intended link. While some are now going to say "Lazy bum", I can only return that this is not about lazy or not; this is about an important functionality that is not used as much as it should be. Especially in today's world with so many information floating around us, it is of particular importance to be able to read information at a glance and get to further information without unnecessary steps delaying the process.

Therefore, I suggest to not only give the URL-letters more space between the other two buttons, but also to brighten this particular button up and make it capital letters so that people recognize it as an actual button and the purpose of it.

Again, first of a picture to demonstrate the current situation: Mail Linker

This is, in combination with the hidden nature of the trigger button itself, probably the second biggest reason why not many people use the function to create actual links instead of plain text.

As you can see in the green box, there is an "http://" indicating that the desired URL goes into the text field next to it. What it does not indicate, however, is that it automatically adds a "http://" in front of the inserted text. This was in the early days of the game and the internet itself probably a necessary functionality (for reasons that I don't know, but it doesn't matter in any case). However, today this function causes broken links in most cases if the linking person doesn't pay attention and removes the "http://" from the copypasted URL. On the one hand, broken links delay the gathering of information even further. On the other hand, broken links cause confusion and unnecessarily high effort to fix the link and provide people with corrected URLs, let alone more server calculation time (even if it's minor amounts) to distribute yet another mail. It also costs people time to refer to correct mails and links in case someone wants to read up later on an old mail.

Therefore, I suggest to first of rename this field to "URL:". This way, people know unambiguously that the text field to its side is for the URL of a website. Secondly, remove the functionality that adds the "http://" to the inserted text. Browser not only do that automatically these days if they are fed with a mere "www.example.com", it also removes this main source of broken links in mails and other texts ingame. It also improves the experience and workflow with the link window in general, as it eliminates unnecessary steps to adjust copied URLs.

TL:DR:

1. Make the button to open the Linker better accessible and better visible.
2. Rename the URL text field title to URL: and remove the function that automatically adds "http://" to links.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#2 - 2013-11-11 09:18:21 UTC
A forcefully applied kick back to the attention area #1.

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#3 - 2013-11-16 16:20:28 UTC
Even monologues are better and easier to grasp with easier link creation. Smile

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#4 - 2013-11-21 08:59:43 UTC
Now that Rubicon is live, it's time to consider new improvements and content for the next point release. This should be one of them.Idea

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#5 - 2013-11-25 16:05:21 UTC
And another bump for the revamp, because even monologues and mails to alts look better with good links.Attention

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#6 - 2013-12-01 13:28:49 UTC
And back to get some more input.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#7 - 2013-12-06 13:36:18 UTC
No more input needed; it's after all a simple tweak to improve the UI a little bit further. So, just more attention and a dev comment that this is done in the next patch is missing in the topic.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#8 - 2013-12-10 15:11:22 UTC
Still missing feedback.

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#9 - 2013-12-20 18:13:58 UTC
Another thing that jumped to my mind today was the ability to link URLs from the right click menu. Currently you only have the choice between chars, systems, corp, items, station. You cannot even link an alliance. This should be changed and expanded to

Character, System, Station, Corporation, Alliance, Item

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#10 - 2013-12-28 10:55:50 UTC
Back to the explosive attention sphere.

Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#11 - 2013-12-28 11:42:07 UTC