These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Making PI A Tablet App

Author
Chaotica Donma
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-10-01 20:43:25 UTC
It seems like one way to possibly help with the PI boredom is to make it available as a tablet (or phone perhaps) app. This would make it so you could interact with a minor part of Eve on the go, perhaps when you'd otherwise have nothing better to do.

Sure, it doesn't make PI any more glamorous, but at least you could do it while stuck waiting in line for something, or on the train, etc.

Catch me Thursdays and Saturdays at Midnight GMT on Split Infinity Radio

Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#2 - 2013-10-02 06:03:22 UTC
No. Let's not make this game harder for those which don't poses such tools.
You would have to compete by the way, that's why it would be harder.

Other reasons are CCP wasting resources on your tablet so you can play your minigames while at work and raising a whole new dimension of issues being technical and security alike, not to mention the unnecessary lag caused by the software differences.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#3 - 2013-10-02 06:42:36 UTC
Battlefield 4 much?
Lukas Rox
Aideron Technologies
#4 - 2013-10-02 06:56:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Lukas Rox
Arya Regnar wrote:
No. Let's not make this game harder for those which don't poses such tools.
You would have to compete by the way, that's why it would be harder.

Other reasons are CCP wasting resources on your tablet so you can play your minigames while at work and raising a whole new dimension of issues being technical and security alike, not to mention the unnecessary lag caused by the software differences.

Sorry to say that, but with CREST in the making, expansion of EVE to other devices is pretty much inevitable. "Lite" client or official CCP app for tablets is just matter of time. Whether or not it will be PI client is for CCP to decide though.

+1 from me, as I am rarely close to my gaming PC but have a tablet with me most of the time

Proud developer of LMeve: Industry Contribution and Mass Production Tracker: https://github.com/roxlukas/lmeve | Blogging about EVE on http://pozniak.pl/wp/

Caldari 5
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. S.A.S
Affirmative.
#5 - 2013-10-02 07:08:22 UTC
Sounds like a good idea, however only approved provided that it has the same limitations as though you were doing the PI from a Station(and the system that your character is currently in for the range factors)
TehCloud
Guardians of the Dodixie
#6 - 2013-10-02 07:30:32 UTC
I actually can't be arsed to ever do PI while at my PC, I rather try to shoot stuff.
If I could do PI while on the train via smartphone or a laptop/tablet app I might actually start doing that.

So this idea gets a +1 from me.

Just never make mining possible via apps and tablets :D

My Condor costs less than that module!

Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#7 - 2013-10-02 07:35:38 UTC
I could +1 this. Put the garbage PI interface on a tablet and let people do it there or in-game, as they choose. You'll still have to go backhaul your goods from POCO, you just get more options to cycle your extractors. Honestly, things like this could stand to be added to the EVE Gate web interface, as well.
Chaotica Donma
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2013-10-02 15:08:47 UTC
Caldari 5 wrote:
Sounds like a good idea, however only approved provided that it has the same limitations as though you were doing the PI from a Station(and the system that your character is currently in for the range factors)

Honestly my thought was that the tablet app was as close to a copy of the in-game system as is feasible with a tablet, and it used the last location of your character as a basis for what planets you could manage.

Chaotica Donma
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2013-10-02 15:16:54 UTC
Domanique Altares wrote:
I could +1 this. Put the garbage PI interface on a tablet and let people do it there or in-game, as they choose. You'll still have to go backhaul your goods from POCO, you just get more options to cycle your extractors. Honestly, things like this could stand to be added to the EVE Gate web interface, as well.

Putting it into EveGate is an even better idea. It removes the necessity for customization dependent on OS/device and is potentially a lot simpler.

Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#10 - 2013-10-02 15:55:57 UTC
I would like to see upgraded PI first but idea is sound.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

None ofthe Above
#11 - 2013-10-02 16:47:25 UTC
I like the idea.

I would definitely use.

Ideally could be either a standalone game not connected to an eve pilot, or run your eve-pilot's PI.

I think there is potential to go bigger to more of a game in itself.

Themes of Planetary Colonization or Civ style development. Elements of Simcity or politics could be interesting as well.

Potential connections to EVE and DUST are obvious.

And yes upgraded PI would be nice.

The only end-game content in EVE Online is the crap that makes you rage quit.