These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EWA replacement?

Author
Kethas Protagonist
Protagonist Ventures
#1 - 2011-10-31 07:14:13 UTC
I currently use EVEWalletAware to store and visualize market transaction history, calculate the profitability of individual market segments/industrial niches, etc. It's a great program and has helped many people over its however-many-years history, but in September the developer, Hel O'Ween, announced he was going to end development (post #417), for reasons related to no longer enjoying the game, losing faith in CCP, the specter of a dev fee for third-party programs, that sort of thing.

I don't want to touch the topics of whether dropping EWA development was the right thing to do, whether skepticism of CCP is justified, etc. etc. I'd prefer the thread focus on a very simple question: now that the current/last version of EWA is a dead man walking, what replacement(s), if any, are there? My businesses could continue quite merrily without an EWA-like program, but it'd become nigh-impossible to calculate and confirm prior profitability, instead of simply making forward estimates from current market prices.

The one candidate I'm aware of is EMMA (most recent thread on the old forums, Google Code site), but it's my understanding that a) it requires a license and b) it's no longer being actively developed (exploratory thread on the new forums). I've also never used it, so I don't know if it provides the same functionality as EWA, but that's another issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thank you.
Chevalleis
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2011-10-31 08:27:49 UTC
There's EVE Tycoon - not sure if it does all the thing that EWA does, but it's a great program. It's also free (to my understandment).
Vynxar
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2011-11-01 22:42:11 UTC
Eve Mentat is pretty good . i really liked Ewa but Eve mentat does the job. Eve Nexus is interesting too.
Smarcus Smokus
Donkey Punch Pioneers
Sticky Green Acres
#4 - 2011-11-23 13:54:41 UTC
I too am dreading the day when a CCP patch breaks EWA. I've not yet found a decent replacement, there are several applications that do similar marketing thingies, but all of them seem to miss a few options from EWA.

Item details windows is so helpful for us speculators. :)
Nomad I
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-11-23 15:04:47 UTC
For industrialists is EVE Mentat an awesome replacement, because

• You can mark some transactions and you get the avg price'
  • You can blend out transactions
  • You get the profit for a period immediatly
Smarcus Smokus
Donkey Punch Pioneers
Sticky Green Acres
#6 - 2011-11-23 22:41:15 UTC
Nomad I wrote:
For industrialists is EVE Mentat an awesome replacement, because

• You can mark some transactions and you get the avg price'
  • You can blend out transactions
  • You get the profit for a period immediatly

I also use EveMentat, and it's great at many things. One thing it does lack is the ability to pull any sort of useful data about a single item.

This also ties into my biggest issue with EveMentat; the lack of any way to export data.
Hel O'Ween
Men On A Mission
#7 - 2011-11-25 10:39:33 UTC
Just to let you know: I intent to update EWA's database if and when CCP publishes the Static Database Dump (SDD) for Crucible (or any other SDD published later on).

I will most likely not be able to announce it any longer (account expires in a few days), so just use EWA's update check to see if there's an DB update and to install the update, once I published it.

EVEWalletAware - an offline wallet manager.

Kethas Protagonist
Protagonist Ventures
#8 - 2011-11-26 21:58:56 UTC
Thanks for keeping us informed, Hel, will do. Sorry to see you go.

If you'd like to have a way to communicate EWA changes on the forums after your subscription expires, read my ingame mail.
Smarcus Smokus
Donkey Punch Pioneers
Sticky Green Acres
#9 - 2011-11-28 14:53:35 UTC
Hel O'Ween wrote:
Just to let you know: I intent to update EWA's database if and when CCP publishes the Static Database Dump (SDD) for Crucible (or any other SDD published later on).

I will most likely not be able to announce it any longer (account expires in a few days), so just use EWA's update check to see if there's an DB update and to install the update, once I published it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to do updates like this. EWA is my favorite marketing program, I don't know what I'd do without it!
Hel O'Ween
Men On A Mission
#10 - 2011-12-01 14:42:32 UTC
OK, account still works. Smile

Just to let you know: I've just uploaded the DB update for the Crucible expansion. Use EWA's update function to download this DB update.

Esan Vartesa
Samarkand Financial
#11 - 2011-12-01 17:55:24 UTC
Hel O'Ween wrote:

Just to let you know: I've just uploaded the DB update for the Crucible expansion. Use EWA's update function to download this DB update.

Thank you very, very much Hel.

Still taking out of game donations?
Hel O'Ween
Men On A Mission
#12 - 2011-12-02 20:42:31 UTC
Esan Vartesa wrote:
Hel O'Ween wrote:

Thank you very, very much Hel.

Still taking out of game donations?

Not sure what you mean by that. I've never accepted anything but ISK as donations. If you feel to donate some - much appretiated, as I might return someday.

Smarcus Smokus
Donkey Punch Pioneers
Sticky Green Acres
#13 - 2012-01-10 15:28:15 UTC
Still using EWA and loving it! Just thought I'd bump with a little more support. Big smile
Rasz Lin
#14 - 2012-01-11 03:22:23 UTC
I wish old evetrader would still work :((( loved those simple invested/sold/profit graphs