These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

"Game dev harassment eroding industry"

Author
Ilia Tresnor
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-08-18 19:27:19 UTC
I didn't see this article about game devs being harassed and threatened with death anywhere on the forums, so I'll just put the link down over here and see what happens. Found on ars technica.

Someone needs to explain to these nutjobs they won't get internet access in prison. Maybe that will calm them down, as a few are no doubt headed there.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#2 - 2013-08-18 19:53:08 UTC
This whole issue is tied up in the constant Trolling, postings of r-p- pictures, and everything hideous that these jokers can think to do.

By pushing to these extremes, these idiots are going to FORCE laws that restrict online behaviors horrendously making once easy things rather complicated.

Then they will blame the governments for taking their rights away.

Utterly infantile behavior run rampant. It demands that all of its needs be met, and that only its needs be met, and screw everyone else. Seriously, just like infants. No difference. They even eat on their parent's dime down in the basement. Literally spoon-fed almost.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3 - 2013-08-18 20:09:27 UTC
That's an interesting read... this piece really caught my eye, though:

Quote:
It's important to listen to fans about what's important to them, but it's equally important to listen to people who are not currently gamers about why they aren't playing. Hardcore gamers want a product that is made specifically for them and is actively unfriendly to anyone new. They will beg and bully to get this product and then praise and wax nostalgic over any game that lives up to their standards even if the company that made it went bankrupt. They don't care about keeping companies in business or artists employed. Their only job as fans is to say what pleases them, and it would be foolish to expect them to think beyond that. But to cater to those desires without thinking about how to bring new audiences in and make them comfortable will ultimately result in a stagnant and money-losing industry

CCP should hire that person. Bear

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#4 - 2013-08-18 20:11:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Destination SkillQueue
Well they always have the option to make flawless games, which manage to fulfill everyones expectations, so no one has any reason to complain.

More seriously speaking I agree on it being part of game developers having trouble adjusting to being public figures. It's what every entertainer or public figure has to go through and a lot of them don't initially realize it's a two way street both in good and bad. The interaction probably gets tiring to a socially active and skilled individual, but is crushing to the ones who previously just had dealings with their own familiar and supportive groups. When these people get to deal with a sea of people who don't know them and don't feel any need to hold back and protect their feelings, it'll get exhaustive even in the best of cases and ugly in normal ones.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:

Quote:
It's important to listen to fans about what's important to them, but it's equally important to listen to people who are not currently gamers about why they aren't playing. Hardcore gamers want a product that is made specifically for them and is actively unfriendly to anyone new. They will beg and bully to get this product and then praise and wax nostalgic over any game that lives up to their standards even if the company that made it went bankrupt. They don't care about keeping companies in business or artists employed. Their only job as fans is to say what pleases them, and it would be foolish to expect them to think beyond that. But to cater to those desires without thinking about how to bring new audiences in and make them comfortable will ultimately result in a stagnant and money-losing industry

It's just common sense and something they're already quite well aware of. CCP also hasn't shown any signs of listening solely to that part of the playerbase, so I'm not sure why you're even highlighting it.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#5 - 2013-08-18 20:12:33 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
This whole issue is tied up in the constant Trolling, postings of r-p- pictures, and everything hideous that these jokers can think to do.

By pushing to these extremes, these idiots are going to FORCE laws that restrict online behaviors horrendously making once easy things rather complicated.

Utterly infantile behavior run rampant. It demands that all of its needs be met, and that only its needs be met, and screw everyone else. Seriously, just like infants. No difference. They even eat on their parent's dime down in the basement. Literally spoon-fed almost.

But then, we play and pay a game that celebrates exactly that attitude.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#6 - 2013-08-18 20:22:08 UTC
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Well they always have the option to make flawless games, which manage to fulfill everyones expectations, so no one has any reason to complain.

More seriously speaking I agree on it being part of game developers having trouble adjusting to being public figures. It's what every entertainer or public figure has to go through and a lot of them don't initially realize it's a two way street both in good and bad. The interaction probably gets tiring to a socially active and skilled individual, but is crushing to the ones who previously just had dealings with their own familiar and supportive groups. When these people get to deal with a sea of people who don't know them and don't feel any need to hold back and protect their feelings, it'll get exhaustive even in the best of cases and ugly in normal ones.

But then, game developers are creator types. They need to be mentally overreactive and sensitive to do their work well. And that is incompatible, in variable degree, with having the appropiate mindset to bounce off abuse.

Can you imagine Picasso painting if he had to suffer a continuous inflow of abusive idiocy and was asked to incorporate "customer feedback" to his work?

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#7 - 2013-08-18 20:54:13 UTC

Quote:

This reminds me of Trekkers in general until about 1998.

Paramount ignored them.

Game developers should ignore these dweebs.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#8 - 2013-08-18 20:56:25 UTC

I half-way agree.

But that is player generated content and behavior.

It is not deliberately built in. As is, EVE is rather benign tbh.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#9 - 2013-08-18 20:58:06 UTC

Can you imagine Picasso painting if he had to suffer a continuous inflow of abusive idiocy and was asked to incorporate "customer feedback" to his work?

This is the current situation in Hollywood atm, and we see the results in the unprecedented financial tanking of almost every single blockbuster this summer.

But that a whole other thread............

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#10 - 2013-08-18 21:12:01 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

This is the current situation in Hollywood atm, and we see the results in the unprecedented financial tanking of almost every single blockbuster this summer.

Spend big to earn big is killing all creative industry.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#11 - 2013-08-18 21:22:50 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

Spend big to earn big is killing all creative industry.

The amount of money spent is not the issue.

It's the new young filmmakers who understand the technical aspects of film, but don't know or understand the language of cinema.

This collides with the studio executives who are all now accountants and venture capitalists who know nothing of cinema, never had a film history class, and don't care.

They just want to safely repeat formula and not pay for original ideas, as their only goal is to maximize that bottom line for the stockholders, which is the 3rd party invited into this conglomeration of dunces.

It's a sad situation and one can see the parallels in the current gaming industry.

Q 5
999 HOLDINGS LLC
#12 - 2013-08-18 21:58:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Q 5
its like everything that once it becomes big and popular then they start to restrict everything and it ticks people off.

if they get to that point where there threatening people's lives why don't they get off their backside and build their own game

And for CCP devs if you feel like that remember your song HTFU well there you go, there's a reason why they turn on you is when you turned on them....yeah everybody HTFU.

Bottom line, that's a bunch of monkeys for you.
Whitehound
#13 - 2013-08-18 22:42:11 UTC
It is indeed an interesting read, but I do not find it unexpected. When you fill a kid's head with axes, guns, blood and corpses then you have to be quite the optimist to believe that everybody else will fix it by filling the kid's head with all the right things.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#14 - 2013-08-19 17:29:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

::sigh:: Every time I see something like that, my "Time to Quit EVE" button starts flashing again. The tears-gathering culture is so pathetic. And a little disturbing too, if you think about the psychology of it. These guys aren't 12-year-olds going after ants with magnifying glasses. Their average age is 28 years old. Sheesh.

Worse, a 14-year-old in my former corp, very nice kid before, has recently gotten into the tears-collecting thing. Sad It happened as soon as he "graduated" from missions and incursions and joined a PVP corp. I guess he could have learned to be a jerk elsewhere... but he did learn it in EVE.
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#15 - 2013-08-19 17:38:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
[Errps, accidental double post, nothing to see here]Oops
voetius
Grundrisse
#16 - 2013-08-19 19:17:29 UTC

While I agree there are plenty of emo nutjobs around the Ars Technica article seemed more of an opinion piece with a few links to posts / articles that supported his thesis.

Not much or any hard evidence.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#17 - 2013-08-19 19:22:01 UTC
voetius wrote:

While I agree there are plenty of emo nutjobs around the Ars Technica article seemed more of an opinion piece with a few links to posts / articles that supported his thesis.

Not much or any hard evidence.

Read any Forum........anywhere.

What do you want, 100 references from Oxford ?

This issue was brought up to me by IT friends in the bay Area back in 1997 ! It is not new. It is worse. And getting worse.

Troll elsewhere besides OOPE please.

Besides, why would someone 'fake' this story and to what personal gain ?

You, sir, are part of the problem tbh.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#18 - 2013-08-19 20:04:07 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

::sigh:: Every time I see something like that, my "Time to Quit EVE" button starts flashing again. The tears-gathering culture is so pathetic. And a little disturbing too, if you think about the psychology of it. These guys aren't 12-year-olds going after ants with magnifying glasses. Their average age is 28 years old. Sheesh.

Worse, a 14-year-old in my former corp, very nice kid before, has recently gotten into the tears-collecting thing. Sad It happened as soon as he "graduated" from missions and incursions and joined a PVP corp. I guess he could have learned to be a jerk elsewhere... but he did learn it in EVE.

Yes, it's so much positive: "Look, I inflicted suffer on someone who feels it and can't beat it, I'm SO SUPERIOR!!" Roll

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#19 - 2013-08-19 21:49:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
Ben Kuchera weighed on in this issue a while ago.

The article embeds a video from an interview with Dave Chappelle, which, apart from being sobering and insightful, also implictly likens game developers to movie, TV, and rock stars. The latter have either grown thick skins quickly, or drowned in one or another kind of depressant, or become recluses, or simply quit (or, in the case of Martin Lawrence, cracked).

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#20 - 2013-08-20 01:48:35 UTC
Jack Womack ‏ @jwomack 3h

"The culture of our world, right now, is crafted by little boys who only recall being stood up"

Retweeted by William Gibson

123Next page