These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Mission Help: Exploration - Data Site Scanning

Author
Phei Hsui
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-08-05 23:20:08 UTC
Hello,

I have started the Exploration missions, am currently stuck on the third one. I've been given a probe launcher with 8 probes. I've been asked to locate a Data Site. After a short while I figured out how to make the probes go out and scan, but they are not picking up any signatures of Data Sites... unless they aren't called Data Sites but something else? I'm just a bit lost.

Thanks!
Phei Hsui
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-08-05 23:24:44 UTC
I ended up finding one. I warped around to different asteroid belts in the system to give myself different areas to scan from.
Trig Saorr
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#3 - 2013-08-06 12:28:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Trig Saorr
You can see sites in your scanner the moment you jump into the system. But theres no way to determine which one is data site, combat site, relic or wh until you actually start your probing. I prefer to do it this way:

I release my probes, in probe scanner I click on map (align your ship somewhere and cloak of course) and immediately click on Launch Pinpoint Formation. You need 8 probes for this formation. After that you adjust their size so that they cover the entire system and scan. I reveals a few % on site (or sites), you just pick the one with higher % value, position the pivot of your formation directly to site, lower the range to half and scan again. This way you can continue till your probe scanner reveals the site type or till you have 100% and thus the ability to warp in.

Btw best for probing would be to use covert ops class ship.

EDIT: you dont need to move your ship anywhere for probing, doesnt matter where in the system you are...
Ned Taggart
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2013-08-06 13:56:13 UTC
When you launch your probes, hit F10 and it will take you to map view. From here, select Solar System view and you will see each probes coverage area. On this map you can scroll in and out to control camera zoom, Right click to rotate and Left click to slide map.

You probes have several configurations. Wide radius and narrow spread and even in those configurations, you can narrow them down.

To determine what kind of site it is, you have to pinpoint the sites with your probes. You have to have a scan at like 60% (I think) to be able to tell what kind of site it is, Combat, Relic, Data, Ore or Wormhole.

The process I use is like this. Scan with wide spread and see what sites are available. this usually results in a list of red sites scanned at around 5-10%. Once I have this list, I click on one of the red results in the scanner window. This highlights it in the solar system view as a red sphere, or circle. I switch to the narrow spread and move the center of the spread to the red sphere and scan again, making sure my spread is slightly larger than the indicator. I keep doing this and it refines each time. I zoom in adjust and re-scan until I get 100%. you will know this because you will see 3 arrows on the right side of the green line allowing you to warp to the location

Once I get 100%, I right click the green line and bookmark it, then reset everything and scan down the next site and bookmark it. This allows me to bookmark every site in the system and then leave to switch ships to do what I need to do at each site. If you leave a system without bookmarking them, you have to rescan.

Also, I do this from a system safe, usually while cloaked.