These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Star Citizen VS EVE Online

First post First post
Author
Craig Bennett2th
Bennett Corp
#1 - 2013-07-07 07:20:27 UTC
I made a video on a few things that dif EVE Online from Star Citizen. These are mostly my thoughts on this since I can't find anything on Star Citizen. But, show off some of the things I can find.
http://youtu.be/l9XXn92nlxg

For those of you who doesn't know. This link will take you to Star Citizen (SC).
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

It will be released in 2015.

Hell is around every turn. It's your choice to go in it or not. Please check out the Rookies in EVE video playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLioOFeHwQV5yNk2vpz8wX9hihLVQEIKLt

mechtech
Ice Liberation Army
#2 - 2013-07-07 07:42:29 UTC
-> out of pod discussion

And prepare your flamesuit.
Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#3 - 2013-07-07 07:55:09 UTC
Why would anyone that enjoys playing Sandbox Mmo-Rpg's be interested in a Arcade Sci-Fi Multiplayer Game.....

You should be posting this on www.classicgamesarcade.com, this game will definitely bring competition to Wing Commander.

The Tears Must Flow

Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#4 - 2013-07-07 07:59:11 UTC
Eve is dying contract me all your assets.

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Craig Bennett2th
Bennett Corp
#5 - 2013-07-07 08:09:49 UTC
Vaju Enki wrote:
Why would anyone that enjoys playing Sandbox Mmo-Rpg's be interested in a Arcade Sci-Fi Multiplayer Game.....

You should be posting this on www.classicgamesarcade.com, this game will definitely bring competition to Wing Commander.

It's not an arcade shooter. It's actually a copy of EVE, but better in some areas. And worst in others.

The few things it has that EVE doesn't is physics, an ability to take out ships parts (engines, nav system, etc.). You can board and shoot everyone on another ship (or you can be shot if they are ready for you). And so on.

But there is a few things it doesn't have that EVE has. I am not going to get into this because the game is coming out in 2015. This means those things can be added.

Hell is around every turn. It's your choice to go in it or not. Please check out the Rookies in EVE video playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLioOFeHwQV5yNk2vpz8wX9hihLVQEIKLt

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-07-07 08:23:25 UTC
Craig Bennett2th wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:

It's not an arcade shooter. It's actually a copy of EVE, but better in some areas. And worst in others.

The few things it has that EVE doesn't is physics, an ability to take out ships parts (engines, nav system, etc.). You can board and shoot everyone on another ship (or you can be shot if they are ready for you). And so on.

But there is a few things it doesn't have that EVE has. I am not going to get into this because the game is coming out in 2015. This means those things can be added.

There is also a PvP toggle, so it doesn't actually compare to EVE at all. It will essentially be a single player game.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#7 - 2013-07-07 08:23:51 UTC
Craig Bennett2th wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:

I don't see how it's a copy of EVE in any meaningful sense. It's a twitch shooter, it's not even a proper MMO, it has multiple servers, private servers, instancing based on location, skill level, alignment and player versus player (PvP) preference and it also includes offline gameplay. It has some similarities with EVE, but at it's core it's a very different type of a game.
Prince Kobol
#8 - 2013-07-07 08:26:43 UTC
SC is not a copy of Eve, it is not even trying to be a clone of Eve.

SC is more along the lines of Freelancer.

The only point where SC and Eve are the same game is that they both have space ships :)

Will SC hurt Eve subs.. maybe, possibly.

All those HS carebears will most likely look at SC and give it a go. Whether they stick with it remains to be seen.

Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2013-07-07 08:28:42 UTC
Craig Bennett2th wrote:
Vaju Enki wrote:

Incorrect... it is not a copy of eve. Multilayer areas will be instanced. There is not true open server play like EVE.

I am one of the original backers of SC and I will certainly enjoy it for what it will bring. A cockpit space sim made by Chris Roberts with some multilpayer aspects, when I am not playing EVE.

Now next time when you spew nonsense learn the difference between the games.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Hessian Arcturus
Doomheim
#10 - 2013-07-07 08:32:59 UTC
You just don't like anything EvE related do you...? Everythings a threat to EvE, you don't like the EvE character creation yada yada yada. Why do you bother playing still?

It's human nature to want to explore. To find your line and go beyond it. The only limit, is the one you set yourself.

Craig Bennett2th
Bennett Corp
#11 - 2013-07-07 08:33:06 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:

There is also a PvP toggle, so it doesn't actually compare to EVE at all. It will essentially be a single player game.

I've seen that, and I am wondering how they are going to play that in the MMO. But I am still saying it's a MMO because they said it was. That and they have a lot of time to make it into one.

Anyways, the reason why I made this video is there has been a lot of people out there trying to figure out what is the real difference between the 2 games.
Like at first glance it looks like EVE Online with walking in station/ship. And that's all most people will see.

I am trying to point out that there is more to it than that (mostly because the info is slowly coming out).

Craig Bennett2th
Bennett Corp
#12 - 2013-07-07 08:38:21 UTC
Hessian Arcturus wrote:
You just don't like anything EvE related do you...? Everythings a threat to EvE, you don't like the EvE character creation yada yada yada. Why do you bother playing still?

When you search EVE vs Star Citizen you will find a lot of people ask if it's a threat. I am just pointing out that that's a stupid question.

Anyways, I like EVE. But like almost everyone. I don't like some of the things in EVE. So I won't be brown nosing it any time soon, and I could leave if they do a 180 on what I like.

Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#13 - 2013-07-07 08:47:11 UTC
Craig Bennett2th wrote:
Hessian Arcturus wrote:

When you search EVE vs Star Citizen you will find a lot of people ask if it's a threat. I am just pointing out that that's a stupid question.

Anyways, I like EVE. But like almost everyone. I don't like some of the things in EVE. So I won't be brown nosing it any time soon, and I could leave if they do a 180 on what I like.

The people that ask EVE vs Star Citizen question are the some that ask the Chess vs Sonic the hedgehog question.

The Tears Must Flow

ISD Gallifreyan
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#14 - 2013-07-07 08:57:35 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Gallifreyan
This thread has been moved to Out Of Pod Experience, as this is the place for discussion of non eve related topics.

Forum Rules
19. All posts must be related to EVE Online.
Posts regarding other companies and products or services are prohibited and any content of this nature will be removed. Posts regarding other games are however permitted on the Out of Pod Experience forum for the purposes of discussion only.

ISD Gallifreyan

Lt. Commander

Community Communication Liaisons (CCL)

Interstellar Services Department

Alpheias
The Khaleph
#15 - 2013-07-07 09:17:53 UTC
Why does some peculiar individuals continue to imply that Star Citizen will compete with EVE when Star Citizen is, at best, two years from being a finished product?

Here is the hard facts about Star Citizen:

It may be good, or not. But it is not EVE.
It bears closer resemble to the *lancer games and the X games. But again, not EVE.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2013-07-07 09:45:26 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:

Last time I checked, PvE isn't a solo game in MMOs. Ask any raider.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#17 - 2013-07-07 10:10:26 UTC
Alpheias wrote:
Why does some peculiar individuals continue to imply that Star Citizen will compete with EVE when Star Citizen is, at best, two years from being a finished product?

Here is the hard facts about Star Citizen:

It may be good, or not. But it is not EVE.
It bears closer resemble to the *lancer games and the X games. But again, not EVE.

The question is: Who is playing EVE?

People who enjoyed single player games like EVE and so play an online game like those?

People who enjoyed certain single player games of which there is no online equivalent and so they play EVE as second best?

SC targets the crowd who played a genre of which the only remnant is the X series. It doesn't aims at EVE because EVE carved its own niche, as there are no offline games like EVE, nor never were. NPC AI would never awox you...

But then, some of EVE's niche is shared with people who would rather play X3 online than EVE... and SC is right what they asked for.

Will SC harm EVE? Probably. Fatally? Don't think so. Will SC rock? Maybe.

EVE is on its own, and albeit its future isn't specially exciting (you can read here my prognoses) it is independent of what the industry can or will do. There's no EVE-killer on the works nor any plan to make it, but certainly beyond a certain point, CCP could just favor a rising star (WoD?) over a venerable but stagnating old favorite.
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2013-07-07 12:02:32 UTC
To be realistic and truthful, the problem with EvE is it's too unconventional in gaming itself. It's why it's niche, not so much about it's game play or mechanics. #1 thing that's different is the movement controls, no WASD (or even Asian style of point and click). That's the norm in PC gaming, and even a diehard EvE fan will admit to that.

Unconventional = non mainstream. Not mainstream it won't be popular.

Star Citizen can appeal to the mainstream because it'll have PC norm controls and the features players are used too, no matter what genre they play.

And it's about time, because what players want is a sci-fi game that's not Star Wars nor Star Trek and have to live by their canon. More free to set it's own course, and players can customize their toon as they prefer it.

I'm iffy about it because of it's game play, and what I play MMOs for (Tradeskilling), for that SC is pretty tame. But for the casual wanting to spend 2hrs a night on a space themed game, it'll do.

That's the problem for EvE, as that player EvE needs to grow will be split. Folks can see what all these newer MMOs have done with WoW, it slowly bleeds players. The main base of players are consoles now, and any PC game that attracts other PC gamers is going to have an affect on the other PC game, as there's fewer PC gamers. So yes, EvE's numbers can/will reflect it every time a vet leaves and another new player doesn't fill that slot (especially if this player base believes they're so expendable and scare them away).

If SC becomes popular and draws EvE players to it, or who otherwise had no choice but to play EvE, EvE will start to resemble DUST as it is now.

Can't buck convention if you want a game to last. EvE lasted as there wasn't any direct competition. MMOs are being competed against directly now, no matter what genre. That's what's different today than in 2008 (when the first wave of MMO "killers" came out after the 2004 generation). Either innovate or be similar or there's not much holding power to invest in, as MMOs are long games and players don't want to invest in games that feel or behave so differently.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#19 - 2013-07-07 12:47:43 UTC
Lol? Compared to Eve.

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-07-07 17:41:50 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
To be realistic and truthful, the problem with EvE is it's too unconventional in gaming itself. It's why it's niche, not so much about it's game play or mechanics. #1 thing that's different is the movement controls, no WASD (or even Asian style of point and click). That's the norm in PC gaming, and even a diehard EvE fan will admit to that.

Unconventional = non mainstream. Not mainstream it won't be popular.

Star Citizen can appeal to the mainstream because it'll have PC norm controls and the features players are used too, no matter what genre they play.

And it's about time, because what players want is a sci-fi game that's not Star Wars nor Star Trek and have to live by their canon. More free to set it's own course, and players can customize their toon as they prefer it.

I'm iffy about it because of it's game play, and what I play MMOs for (Tradeskilling), for that SC is pretty tame. But for the casual wanting to spend 2hrs a night on a space themed game, it'll do.

That's the problem for EvE, as that player EvE needs to grow will be split. Folks can see what all these newer MMOs have done with WoW, it slowly bleeds players. The main base of players are consoles now, and any PC game that attracts other PC gamers is going to have an affect on the other PC game, as there's fewer PC gamers. So yes, EvE's numbers can/will reflect it every time a vet leaves and another new player doesn't fill that slot (especially if this player base believes they're so expendable and scare them away).

If SC becomes popular and draws EvE players to it, or who otherwise had no choice but to play EvE, EvE will start to resemble DUST as it is now.

Can't buck convention if you want a game to last. EvE lasted as there wasn't any direct competition. MMOs are being competed against directly now, no matter what genre. That's what's different today than in 2008 (when the first wave of MMO "killers" came out after the 2004 generation). Either innovate or be similar or there's not much holding power to invest in, as MMOs are long games and players don't want to invest in games that feel or behave so differently.

it's still too many "what if?"s for a game that is still way beyond the horizon.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

123Next page