These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

NPC corps & POS

Author
Fey Ivory
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-06-12 11:33:24 UTC
My suggestion to designers is fairly simple, with the uppcomming changes to the POS system, allow us in NPC corps to have them, anchor them outside of highsec. as a paying player there is no viable game mechanic that make it more powerfull or unbalanced as long as its outside of highsec.

I guess several will just say yoin a regular corp, or make your own corp, i wish it was that simple, i am still in CAS, couse its basically run like a player corp, we are organiced, we make events, and i have my friends there, also i like helping new players into eve, hence leaving CAS is not a option, as leaving it, means no possibility of going back, id end up in a npc holding corp, and i like my friends

My main reason, several of us in CAS, been talking about it be very cool to establish our own wormhole, smuggle new promesing players down to it, to help them see and get a chanse to taste the sleepers and be able to earn some good isks... in CAS we have our organiced null roams thats open to new players, we have organiced mining operations, we have tournaments.

hopefully people outside of highsec or people shouting for NPC corp nerfs, can support this, well anyone, as we in CAS advocate all aspects of eve, and it open up abilities to show more things to our new player base, we might not be able to get all of us but some might boldly go where others dont ;P

flame away !
Low-lander
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-06-12 13:07:01 UTC
As a fellow longtime CAS-member I wholeheartedly support this.
Nyancat Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-06-12 13:12:26 UTC
Fey Ivory wrote:
My suggestion to designers is fairly simple, with the uppcomming changes to the POS system, allow us in NPC corps to have them, anchor them outside of highsec. as a paying player there is no viable game mechanic that make it more powerfull or unbalanced as long as its outside of highsec.

I guess several will just say yoin a regular corp, or make your own corp, i wish it was that simple, i am still in CAS, couse its basically run like a player corp, we are organiced, we make events, and i have my friends there, also i like helping new players into eve, hence leaving CAS is not a option, as leaving it, means no possibility of going back, id end up in a npc holding corp, and i like my friends

My main reason, several of us in CAS, been talking about it be very cool to establish our own wormhole, smuggle new promesing players down to it, to help them see and get a chanse to taste the sleepers and be able to earn some good isks... in CAS we have our organiced null roams thats open to new players, we have organiced mining operations, we have tournaments.

hopefully people outside of highsec or people shouting for NPC corp nerfs, can support this, well anyone, as we in CAS advocate all aspects of eve, and it open up abilities to show more things to our new player base, we might not be able to get all of us but some might boldly go where others dont ;P

flame away !


I SUPPORT THIS WITH ALL OF MY HEART AND SOUL

Ellendras Silver
CrashCat Corporation
#4 - 2013-06-12 13:36:06 UTC
i am not in CAS but i dont see any problems with their proposal. and its good for eve if (more) expierenced people help new players.

so +1 from me

[u]Carpe noctem[/u]

Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#5 - 2013-06-12 14:12:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Jint Hikaru
Even by claiming you are restricting this POS to non hiSec space, you are still getting the benefit of having a POS without the threat of a war-dec.

Yes someone could come into the WH and fight it, but I am sure you will still be active in hiSec too. And in this case, you would remain safe from wardecs. (you have to get fuel from somewhere... you will probably be sourcing and transporting that fuel from HiSec.... etc)

EDIT: I do think its pretty cool that you guys have managed to run an NPC corp like a regular corp, and are helping out new players.

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Govind
Parity Labs
#6 - 2013-06-12 15:13:29 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
Even by claiming you are restricting this POS to non hiSec space, you are still getting the benefit of having a POS without the threat of a war-dec.


This. Another thing to consider in an NPC corp is how would POS management roles be handled since nobody in an NPC corp has any authority to assign roles.

Another way to look at this would be, rather than allowing NPC corps to launch towers, to make it possible for corps to open up their POS to a higher degree of access by other individuals / corps. Under this model you would hire someone or make an alt corp to run the POS and then via some new mechanic the members of CAS would be able to utilize some / most of the POS facilities. Any POS features related to refueling, maintaining, or defending the POS would probably need to be restricted to the owning corp but things like hangers, maintenance bays, research labs, etc. would be able to be opened up for access by non-corp, non-alliance persons.

One way to implement this would be to add an interface to generate passwords that are associated with different levels of access. The POS owner would add a new access key in a similar way to the way we make our API keys by checking off the boxes to denote allowable actions. They would then assign a password and give this out to individuals. Naturally the access key could be revoked or changed.

There are certainly pros and cons of doing things this way and it probably even falls short of some of the objectives of CAS to anchor and maintain the POS by themselves but I think that approaching things in this way would appeal to a broader set of players since it would open doors to many types of business such as renting out POS services without requiring corp or alliance membership.
Ruze
Next Stage Initiative
#7 - 2013-06-12 16:52:50 UTC
The POS management/role system needs fixed anyhow, and should be taken out of corporate hands and put into the hands of the POS owner. Allow the roles to be set individually, from the POS menu.

As to the OP: As long as it can be destroyed, I don't necessarily disagree. I do argue that, if you've got that much organization and fun, starting a player corp is the proper step. This is all part of the larger dilema of how can player corps compete with the supreme defensive bonuses of NPC corps. It's not the players fault, it's CCP's, for allowing such a blatant exception to the game.

If you're driven to threaten others with harm or violence because of what they do in game, you can't separate fantasy from reality. That "griefer/thief" is probably more sane than you are. How screwed up is that?

Marsan
#8 - 2013-06-12 17:21:14 UTC
I think this a bad idea as it makes POSes in HS completely immune to war decs. (Not that I'm a fan of HS war decs...) What would make more sense is if you could be a member of a PC corp and anchor a POS for yourself, corp or alliance. That would allow people to have their own POSes, and not need to be granted any corp roles. Like wise you could anchor a POS for your alliance to stage up, refit, store ammo and cheap ships, and even use the POS guns.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

Fey Ivory
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-06-16 04:58:05 UTC
Marsan wrote:
I think this a bad idea as it makes POSes in HS completely immune to war decs. (Not that I'm a fan of HS war decs...) What would make more sense is if you could be a member of a PC corp and anchor a POS for yourself, corp or alliance. That would allow people to have their own POSes, and not need to be granted any corp roles. Like wise you could anchor a POS for your alliance to stage up, refit, store ammo and cheap ships, and even use the POS guns.


Marsan, my suggestion have nothing to do with NPC corps players being able to anchor a POS in high sec, since we cant be wardecced, that be just to "good", this suggestion is about letting us anchor and set up a POS >OUTSIDE< off highsec, as in low, null or wormspace, where a wardec wouldent be needed to destroy a POS

There is as i see it, no viable game mechanic that make that to unbalanced
Fey Ivory
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-06-16 05:02:17 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
Even by claiming you are restricting this POS to non hiSec space, you are still getting the benefit of having a POS without the threat of a war-dec.

Yes someone could come into the WH and fight it, but I am sure you will still be active in hiSec too. And in this case, you would remain safe from wardecs. (you have to get fuel from somewhere... you will probably be sourcing and transporting that fuel from HiSec.... etc)

EDIT: I do think its pretty cool that you guys have managed to run an NPC corp like a regular corp, and are helping out new players.


Its true, ourlogistic in highsec, couldent be wardecced, but on the other hand, as far as i know player run corps have alts in NPC corps running supplies for them, so Blink , its really not something that player owned corps isent already having
Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2013-06-16 11:42:03 UTC
Just form a corp with those people, it's actually how I got into my first player corp - bunch of people I met in RMS chat.

Maybe leave an alt in CAS to chat and get more people.

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Sai Renn
DNS Requiem
Warped Intentions
#12 - 2013-06-16 11:55:14 UTC
I wouldn't see an issue with it in low sec, with one exception.

If i cant war dec the target to take down a tower, then i shouldn't take a sec hit for attacking it.

Hell, if they added that, and made it legal to attack NPC corps towers, then i wouldn't care about them in high sec much either, although the issue there would be corp standing to anchor them
Psyllon Tarsonis
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-06-17 17:07:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Psyllon Tarsonis
I fully support the idea! The game can only become more interesting if NPC corps are allowed to have their own high sec POS-es.
This can help people learn how to build their own corps later and teach them how to develop those further. Currently, there is no way for new players to gain knowledge about this "dark side" of EVE and it is necessary to introduce some mechanism to make this aspect of the game available to new players.
Bakuhz
NED-Clan
Goonswarm Federation
#14 - 2013-06-18 21:47:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Bakuhz
simply no NPC corps cant be wardecced so you have your little godlike POS in HI-sec and it cant be touched.

what would happen we find offline towers of players who left the game or something like that and the dead towers pop up everywhere.
and nothing can be done to destroy them without getting concorded.

Drink a cup of concrete HTFU!!!

https://zkillboard.com/character/584042527/

Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#15 - 2013-06-18 22:09:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Alvatore DiMarco
Bakuhz wrote:
simply no NPC corps cant be wardecced so you have your little godlike POS in HI-sec and it cant be touched.

what would happen we find offline towers of players who left the game or something like that and the dead towers pop up everywhere.
and nothing can be done to destroy them without getting concorded.

Drink a cup of concrete HTFU!!!


OP specifically outlined a limitation against NPC Corp POS towers being anchored in highsec.

Drink a cup of reading comprehension. Until then, STFU.


@ People who say "Create a corp with these people": CAS Alumni as I am, I can safely say the nature of CAS is such that it's difficult to explain how CAS works. Creating a corp isn't the correct next step like it would be for those jerks from FNA. The very nature of the group is based on and wholly tied to the fact that it is a starter corp. They wouldn't have their unique identity that gives such a source of camaraderie, solidarity and pride, nor would the de-facto management be nearly as able to carry out their chosen mission of helping newbies to really understand and experience all the different facets of EVE.

@OP : Several longtime members of CAS have alt corps specifically for the purpose of anchoring POSes. While I concede that this sort of work-around may not be viable in a wormhole setting, has it been discussed?
Fey Ivory
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-06-18 22:41:52 UTC
Govind

We have talked about it, and its possible, to do the work around through a friendly "Cas alt corp", still it leaves alot of issues... and when your sealed of in a WH, you do want direct access if anything happened... but there is a change to posses comming, so we are hopefull

And as i mentioned, as long as its >outside of highsec< the pos would be very subject to getting destroyed, solets see what happens !, so there is really no viable reason to not allow us !

And your very right, CAS is CAS, i love CAS for what it is, and i like helping new players, we might not be able to help all, some simply dont want to, and we dont force people, but we are there if they so wish, and i just think it be a great addition to help them get a start and see more.