These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Guide for Odyssey New Hacking System

First post
Author
Rhasta Farai
The New Hope
#1 - 2013-06-05 17:43:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Rhasta Farai
PREPARATION
It's not necessary anymore to fit your hacking ship with any offensive or defensive modules, because there are no more rats in data or relic sites (Exception: w-space and Drone Regions).

Skills:
Archaeology (+10 Virus Coherence for each lvl of skill with Relic Analyzer)
Hacking (+10 Virus Coherence for each lvl of skill with Data Analyzer)

Ships:
T1 Magnate, Heron, Imicus, Probe (+5 Virus Strength with Data/Relic Analyzer)
T2 Buzzard etc (+10 VS with Data/Relic Analyzer)
T3 Tengu/Proteus/Loki/Legion with Emergent Locus Analyzer subsystem (+10 VS with Data/Relic Analyzer)

Modules:
Data Analyzer I (+40 VC and +20 VS) or Data Analyzer II (+60 VC and +30 VS)
Relic Analyzer I (+40 VC and +20 VS) or Relic Analyzer II (+60 VC and +30 VS)
Cargo Scanner I/II - so, you'll never miss anything tasty anymore inside the containers
Afterburner I/II or Microwarpdrive I/II - the distance between some containers can be more than 50km, max range that i experienced was 280km
Expanded Cargohold I/II - to make sure your cargo bay can hold everything
Inertia Stabilizers I/II or Nanofiber Internal Structure I/II - for better speed and agility

Rigs:
Small Emission Scope Sharpener I (+10 VC with Relic Analyzer)
Small Emission Scope Sharpener II (+20 VC with Relic Analyzer)
Small Memetic Algorithm Bank I (+10 VC with Data Analyzer)
Small Memetic Algorithm Bank II (+20 VC with Data Analyzer)

Implants:
Slot9 Poteque 'Prospector' Archaeology AC-905 (+5 VC for Relic Analyzer)
Slot9 Poteque 'Prospector' Hacking HC-905 (+5 VC for Data Analyzer)
Slot10 Poteque 'Prospector' Environmental Analysis EY-1005 (5 second increase to decay time of all scattered containers)

THE GAME
Once you attempt to hack a container you'll get something like this.
At the left bottom corner you can see two scales, the left one is your Virus Coherence (or in another words - your life) and the right one is Virus Strength (or your damage). So, the more VC/VS you get the more chances you have. In the bottom middle part there are three slots for Utility Elements, you can get them in the mini game itself. The rest of the window will be filled by nodes.

When you start a mini game you have your basis VC/VS and free Utility slots. When you click on the free nods at the middle of the screen there is a chance you'll discover Utility Element, Defensive System, System Core or nothing. The main goal of the game is to find and destroy the System Core. When you do this - You win!

The main rules are:
- the game is turn-based
- to win you have to locate and destroy a System Core
- once your Virus Coherence drops to zero, you lose
- for each container you have two attempts, after the second failure, the container will self-destruct

Defensive sub-systems:
Anti-virus - this sub-system has low 'health', but hits you hard in reply, so be carefull
Firewall - usual defensive sub-system
Virus Suppressor - this sub-system will lower your Virus Strength once it has appeared, its better to deal with it using offensive utility elements
Restoration Node - this defensive sub-system has to be 'killed' ASAP, because it repairs all defensive subsystems that are already active
System Core - once you find it, 'kill' it and you win!
Data Cache - Once you click this again, this will spawn a defensive subsystem or a utility element

Utility sub-systems:
Self Repair - when you use this tool, the next 3 turns you will gain additional VС
Polymorphic Shield - this utility is awesome: when you attack you don't get any damage in reply for the number of turns that shown in the top of the icon
Secondary Vector - this offensive utility will hit your target for you, you can even destroy some defensive sub-systems with it without any loss
Kernel Rot - decrease coherence of a target for 50%, so it's better to use it on tough targets before you attack them with something else

TACTICS
For better understanding of the game mechanics you have to practise as in any other game, but here is a couple of advices that work well:
- do not 'attack' Firewalls or Anti-Viruses while you still have other nodes to explore
- leave Data Cache nodes for the end-game, because they more often spawn defensive sub-systems than an Utility elements
- don't waste Utilities, use them wisely
- assess your chances prior to any attacking a defensive sub-system

LOOT
When you win a mini game, the container will open and a lot of tiny containers will spawn and float off in different directions. There are 5 types of them:
- Data Container (data sheets, blueprints, skill books)
- Parts Container (datacores, decryptors, electronic parts, salvage)
- Materials Container (carbon, production materials, salvage)
- Equipment Container (hydrogen batteries)
- Scraps Container (scrap materials)

When you click once on any container it will be tractored directly to your ship and you'll receive its contents. When you double-click on the can you will approach the selected container. Those tiny containers live only for about 20-30 seconds, so you have to decide very quickly what containers you want to get.

So to maximize loot that you'll get you should to do the following:
- scan the container using a cargo scanner and check the results before actually opening a container
- determine which tiny containers you have to loot first
- open it and quickly grab your primary targets

For example, if you see on your Cargo Scanning results that container has a couple of BPC's and some datacores - try to catch the Data and Parts cans first to get all valuable loot. Here is an example of nice looting.
Zor'katar
Matari Recreation
#2 - 2013-06-05 18:13:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Zor'katar
Correction 1: You no longer need a Salvager for exploration.

Correction 2 (maybe): I think it's a Cargo Scanner you need to check the contents, rather than Survey Scanner? Haven't actually used one yet, but that's what I've been reading.
Veruca d'Artan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2013-06-05 20:27:45 UTC
Yes it is the cargo scanner; works like a charm (in eventually destroying your mood when you see a good thing in the can and fail to get it - it was in another minican...)
Bridgette d'Iberville
Better Killing Through Chemistry
#4 - 2013-06-05 20:31:51 UTC
This is probably totally RNG, but I have found that I have a lot of luck if I follow the perimeter of the hacking table. I've solved several high-sec tables without hitting one defensive platform.

"I considered a career in griefing, but then realized that I would never achieve the level of tear generation that CCP manages to do each and every expansion."

Leftnut Omega
AntiCorporation Corp Inc
#5 - 2013-06-05 20:45:31 UTC
Thank you, thank you, thank you! How come CCP couldn't put this simple information out? I do have a couple questions:
1. What type of loot container will have Datacores in it?
2. Do you have to be in the same corp as the character that hacked the can to keep from getting a suspect flag when picking up The loot?
Johan Toralen
IIIJIIIITIIII
#6 - 2013-06-06 01:18:54 UTC
Leftnut Omega wrote:

2. Do you have to be in the same corp as the character that hacked the can to keep from getting a suspect flag when picking up The loot?

Being in the same fleet is enough.
Bridgette d'Iberville
Better Killing Through Chemistry
#7 - 2013-06-06 02:07:38 UTC
I just tried scooping someone's spew cans after they succeeded while not being affiliated with them. Didn't work with safety on, FYI

"I considered a career in griefing, but then realized that I would never achieve the level of tear generation that CCP manages to do each and every expansion."

Jonas Staal
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2013-06-06 11:30:30 UTC
Veruca d'Artan wrote:
Yes it is the cargo scanner; works like a charm (in eventually destroying your mood when you see a good thing in the can and fail to get it - it was in another minican...)

When I cargo scan the cans, I often only see 2 or 3 items. Does that mean the rest is "crap"?
imbaRabbit
Super Villains
Northern Coalition.
#9 - 2013-06-06 12:33:17 UTC  |  Edited by: imbaRabbit
Jonas Staal wrote:
Veruca d'Artan wrote:

When I cargo scan the cans, I often only see 2 or 3 items. Does that mean the rest is "crap"?

I'm wondering about this as well?

Today, I've tried out few "mini-games" and I've seen few 'Occult Process' and one 'Occult Augmentation' in 'Data site'. Those fall under the category of 'Decryptors', right?

But I did not get 'Occult Process' items even though I've collected all(and I mean all) 'Parts' and 'Data' containers. I ignored the rest.

So, is there a chance to get the items which you've scanned or what?
Leftnut Omega
AntiCorporation Corp Inc
#10 - 2013-06-06 15:49:36 UTC
imbaRabbit wrote:
Jonas Staal wrote:
Veruca d'Artan wrote:

I'm wondering about this as well?

Today, I've tried out few "mini-games" and I've seen few 'Occult Process' and one 'Occult Augmentation' in 'Data site'. Those fall under the category of 'Decryptors', right?

But I did not get 'Occult Process' items even though I've collected all(and I mean all) 'Parts' and 'Data' containers. I ignored the rest.

So, is there a chance to get the items which you've scanned or what?

I believe decryptors and datacores spawn in parts and material containers, maybe even equipment containers but not data containers. I cargo scanned a container today that showed nothing on the scanner. I hacked it anyway and stuff came out. Don't cargo/ship scanners have a percentage chance for success?
Gasper
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-06-06 16:13:12 UTC
So modules for ships now let me know if I am missing anything

Is there any reason to use the new modules that increase pinpoint, etc etc. I have not had any problems finding sites even in low sec/0.0 and wormholes?

There are 2 different rigs that give you attack power for hacking. Is one of these rigs for relic and one for data? Looks like they are for both, but why are there 2 different kinds?

Anything else other then ship type/skills/and rigs that increase hacking stats for attack power and defense?

What low slots would be good on a covert ops frig?
Rhasta Farai
The New Hope
#12 - 2013-06-06 16:36:56 UTC
If everithing will be ok - tomorrow i will add some information to the Guide, and thanks for all advices, guyz!
Seraph Castillon
Andromeda Corp
#13 - 2013-06-06 17:01:32 UTC
How do you have time to cargo scan when you barely have time to wheel in a hand full of containers?!
Ryan Orto
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#14 - 2013-06-06 17:10:58 UTC
Seraph Castillon wrote:
How do you have time to cargo scan when you barely have time to wheel in a hand full of containers?!

You cargo scan at the beginning to see what is inside so you can pick and choose the cans during the spew phase
Philalexandros
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2013-06-06 18:08:26 UTC
Seraph Castillon wrote:

Scan it before you start the hack.
Rhasta Farai
The New Hope
#16 - 2013-06-10 10:04:47 UTC
I've updated guide, added some new info and corrected mistakes. Unfortunately 6K symbols is not enought, so i cut some text.

Here's the last paragraph that does not fit
Quote:
But, sometimes no matter how fast you are, there can be too much containers to catch or you can be just unlucky, thats why you have to find a corpmate or a friend to run this sites together.

And the last thing that i have to say - never surrender, even when the whole field a covered with Defensive subsystems. Two days ago i was on site and scanning result showed Domination Control Tower BPC, difficulty of container was 4, first attempt showed a huge amount of defensive subsystems, like Virus Suppressors and Restoration Nodes, i started fight them and failed. On the second attempt i've decided not to fight with Defence-Subsystems, but to explore as much nods as i can. When the whole field was covered with Defensive-Subsystem i discovered a SystemCore and easily killed it with some utilities.

Thats all for now, good luck with hacking!
Deepcage
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-06-10 12:58:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Deepcage
nice guide, spelling/grammar could use some work though.
Guttripper
State War Academy
Caldari State
#18 - 2013-06-10 14:00:38 UTC
Deepcage wrote:

If I read the language included in the one picture correctly, then he speaks better English than most of us would of his language of Russian... Blink
Rhasta Farai
The New Hope
#19 - 2013-06-10 14:51:19 UTC
Deepcage wrote:
PM me please with all spelling/grammar mistakes you've found, and i will edit the guide)

Guttripper wrote:
If I read the language included in the one picture correctly, then he speaks better English than most of us would of his language of Russian... Blink
Yes, you are right, i'm russian-spoken pilot ^^ Still learning my English skill to 4 =)
Al Anders
Star Revival
#20 - 2013-06-10 20:34:25 UTC
quick fix; T1 ships have +5 to VS per level
T2: +10 VS
123Next pageLast page