These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Visual pain, new target death animation

Author
Xeraphi
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-06-04 19:04:37 UTC
Anyone else finding the new way that targets blink in and out on death hurting their eyes to the point that it's reduced enjoyment of the game by about 99%?

I just did an incursion, had to have my eyes closed through more than half of it and logged out of the game when it was done.

This is blinking like broken fluorescent lighting all it needs is that annoying buzz as a sound effect.

Not everything needs an animation. Targets used to just drop out of lock when they were killed, this blinking is not just unnecessary but painful. I feel like my eyes are being stabbed repeatedly.

Not epileptic but do get light-sensitive migraines easily.

How do I turn this off? Couldn't find it in options and can't play the game like this at all.

New target lock death animation problem #1 ^ eye strain and pain Temporary workaround found to one of these.

Ydnari
Estrale Frontiers
#2 - 2013-06-04 19:30:48 UTC
Going to agree with this one; a lot of the new visual effects are really quite nice, but this one is just horrible - your description of it being like a broken fluorescent light is spot on.

If it needs an animation then a fadeout with maybe a bit of upwards or sideways movement and/or zooming out would work, but this is just flickering nastiness.

--

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#3 - 2013-06-05 10:20:48 UTC
Apparently there are two different way of disappearing locked targets now.

The flickering is when a target is destroyed.
The normal way is when you lose lock for other reasons.

While the flicker is a bit of a hassle, to me it seems less of a problem than a wobbling and moving around target icon.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Xeraphi
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-06-06 04:54:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Xeraphi
Rivr Luzade wrote:
Apparently there are two different way of disappearing locked targets now.

The flickering is when a target is destroyed.
The normal way is when you lose lock for other reasons.

While the flicker is a bit of a hassle, to me it seems less of a problem than a wobbling and moving around target icon.

I literally can't play the game anymore because of this "flicker" is there ANY way to turn it off? No response to my petition yet, gues they're waiting for me to not renew next month or something.

I can't do any combat. No more incursions, missions, no pew. No way to get a plex next month because I can't look at the screen during the game. I have 500 mil left and no way to get more.

New target lock death animation problem #1 ^ eye strain and pain Temporary workaround found to one of these.

Cekle Skyscales
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-06-06 05:13:44 UTC
It may be the incursion graphics overlay interfering with the UI in some way. Do you get the same problem blowing ships up out of incursion space?

Also, do you play with full brightness on your monitor in the dark?
Xeraphi
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-06-06 20:22:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Xeraphi
Cekle Skyscales wrote:
It may be the incursion graphics overlay interfering with the UI in some way. Do you get the same problem blowing ships up out of incursion space?

Also, do you play with full brightness on your monitor in the dark?

Yes it's the same new animation outside of incursion space. When any target dies it flickers on and off before disappearing instead of just disappearing.

In incursions, it just happens on multiple targets frequently for 20 minutes straight. The animation itself hurts and I have to close my eyes to avoid the pain. In incursions, I just have to keep my eyes closed through the whole thing, which is a little counterproductive. I found myself outside of logi range because I couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to realize the anchor had moved and I'd lost my orbit. In missions, I have to close my eyes whenever a rat gets low on health, which would be bad if someone chose to gank at that point. In missions I can control the rate of the rats dying but still have to close my eyes when they die because it hurts.

I play with 50% brightness and contrast in a room with indoor lighting. It's the way it flickers, as I haven't had any problem with any of the other lights/animations in the game. (When on my miner I do position to not stare directly into a blue sun of course.)

I need to know how to turn this off completely because I can't play the game with my eyes closed.

Ydnari wrote:
Going to agree with this one; a lot of the new visual effects are really quite nice, but this one is just horrible - your description of it being like a broken fluorescent light is spot on.

If it needs an animation then a fadeout with maybe a bit of upwards or sideways movement and/or zooming out would work, but this is just flickering nastiness.

It doesn't need an animation. The described purpose of it was to announce the target's death so you're not left wondering if you got the target or if they warped off in structure, which could easily just be done in the combat log. A simple fade might work, but a text announcement would be even easier. Like the announcement for warp scrambles and stuff. It doesn't have to be a broken fluorescent light at all.

Xeraphi
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-06-08 01:49:30 UTC
Still no response to the petition. 3 weeks left on a game I can't play anymore.

Xeraphi
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-06-10 11:59:14 UTC
Response is to make a thread in the suggestions forum. Hopefully I can keep playing EVE! Please fix soon!