These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Red/Blue overlay with NVIDIA 320 drivers on the 600/700 series GPUs

First post
Author
CCP Vertex
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2013-05-31 11:24:54 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Vertex
Hi all,

We have been working with NVIDIA on a fix to address a known visual issue (pictured here) on the NVIDIA 600/700 series GPUs. Initial testing of the fix looks promising but is still ongoing; users can expect the fix to be included in the upcoming NVIDIA driver update.

Workaround instructions:

• Open the EVE client Esc menu
  • Go to the Display & Graphics tab
  • Set the Shader Quality option to Medium

We will post an update when we have a confirmed release date from NVIDIA, we encourage you to post a reply in this thread if you experience any additional issues after the driver fix is released.

**CCP Vertex  |  Senior Development Manager ** | @CCP_Vertex

Zeb DaMadMan2
Duckling System
Duckling Union
#2 - 2013-05-31 16:29:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Zeb DaMadMan2
GTX 670 FTW - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

Either turn the shader down to medium, or revert to driver version 314. - http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-314.22-whql-driver.html
^^ I didn't see any noticeable performance hit between the v314, and v320.

Also noticed on the current latest driver - 320.18 which causes the high shader problem, if you get under stress (I.E. lots of effects) it will periodically fail to render a critical background texture, causing the background to turn completely white for 5-20 seconds.

Would have picture, but already reverted. :(

Either way, thank you CCP for stepping in and trying to help us GTX users.

"As soon as we stop asking about the launcher design, CCP will assume we already love it.

We won't." - Eve Community

Zu One
The Sweaty Warts
#3 - 2013-05-31 20:15:28 UTC
yup, i had had this issue with the beta and latest whql versions of the driver

i was quite surprised when the issue made it into the whql release as this problem was reported on the forum here a few weeks ago and was replicated by a ccp dude.

anyway look forward to it
Zeb DaMadMan2
Duckling System
Duckling Union
#4 - 2013-05-31 20:20:39 UTC
Same ^^, it seems Nvidia is going downhill with there drivers these past few months. :(

"As soon as we stop asking about the launcher design, CCP will assume we already love it.

We won't." - Eve Community

Mintoko
Taedium In Perpetuam
#5 - 2013-05-31 21:28:04 UTC
I updated my drivers yesterday, loaded Eve and thought, "Oooh..pretty...wait. they didn't update anything... WTF!"

I assumed the problem was the GeForce Experience that they rolled out. I tried it while in beta and it screwed up video settings for multiple games.

Every other release seems to give me problems.
Barkaial Starfinder
Interstellar Expeditionary Group
Einstein-Rosen Brigade
#6 - 2013-05-31 21:34:42 UTC
Same problem here.
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#7 - 2013-05-31 23:20:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
Mintoko wrote:
I updated my drivers yesterday, loaded Eve and thought, "Oooh..pretty...wait. they didn't update anything... WTF!"

I assumed the problem was the GeForce Experience that they rolled out. I tried it while in beta and it screwed up video settings for multiple games.

Is GeForce Experience actually working for EVE now? I wish NVIDIA would do something for EVE players experience as they optimise for WoW, World of Tanks and bunch of F2P games and they're always marketed as "Partners" to CCP for events.

EDIT:
I've just RMA'd my ASUS GeForce ENGTX560Ti as I could only use the NVIDIA 267.87 Driver. Every time I updated it just with the Driver and PhysX it would lag and cause unstable performance along with faint horizontal lines most noticeable when viewing the colour black (which happens to be the favourite colour in EVE)...oh the joys. Might have to look at being less loyal in my next graphics cards choice.
Verite Rendition
F.R.E.E. Explorer
#8 - 2013-05-31 23:22:18 UTC
Mintoko wrote:

Nah, it has nothing to do with GeForce Experience. This is a bug in the driver itself. GFE is its own program (and it doesn't do anything unless you specifically tell it to).
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-05-31 23:29:43 UTC
using dual GTX 680s I had this problem which got fixed with the shader set to medium, however, I get a weird problem when in some site (radar hacking or the guristas 3/10 GGG) when looking towards the sun the clouds or space debris in these sites suddenly "blooms" into a bright white glare and I have to turn the camera the other way to fix it.
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Durzel
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#10 - 2013-06-01 04:14:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Durzel
Did Nvidia turn around and say "why are you guys still on DirectX 9?"

As much as I like Eve I honestly can't see fixing a DX9 game quirk being a high priority for Nvidia, and am not expecting them to produce a hotfix for it. Their normal driver schedule would mean we wouldn't see a WHQL driver that might fix the problem for weeks or even months.

EVE has no SLI profile, again likely because it's old, which means the game runs fairly poorly and unoptimised on modern cards. It doesn't even use my second card at all, even when the first is being shredded by clouds and other particle effects. When I had an ATI card I had numerous artifacts that either appeared during the game or when I went back to desktop (remember the palette shift bug?)

Every FanFest the art team show us fantastic renders that will never see the light of day because the client is stuck in the dark ages. WoW manages to have both a DX9 and DX11 client, as well as a 32bit and 64bit one, using the same shards, so it's technically achievable.

I appreciate EVE needs to support multi boxers and aged laptops etc, but it can do that whilst still innovating for people that don't have 10 year old computers too.
Mylin Liu
TSOE Po1ice
TSOE Consortium
#11 - 2013-06-01 09:32:03 UTC
Durzel wrote:
Did Nvidia turn around and say "why are you guys still on DirectX 9?"

As much as I like Eve I honestly can't see fixing a DX9 game quirk being a high priority for Nvidia, and am not expecting them to produce a hotfix for it. Their normal driver schedule would mean we wouldn't see a WHQL driver that might fix the problem for weeks or even months.

EVE has no SLI profile, again likely because it's old, which means the game runs fairly poorly and unoptimised on modern cards. It doesn't even use my second card at all, even when the first is being shredded by clouds and other particle effects. When I had an ATI card I had numerous artifacts that either appeared during the game or when I went back to desktop (remember the palette shift bug?)

Every FanFest the art team show us fantastic renders that will never see the light of day because the client is stuck in the dark ages. WoW manages to have both a DX9 and DX11 client, as well as a 32bit and 64bit one, using the same shards, so it's technically achievable.

I appreciate EVE needs to support multi boxers and aged laptops etc, but it can do that whilst still innovating for people that don't have 10 year old computers too.

Well there was a presentation of Eve running on DirectX 11 at fanfest, and it looked awesome, especially with the tessellation and PhysX roidlets bouncing off the ships.

Are we going to get the new DirectX11 Engine anytime soon?
Tlat Ij
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2013-06-01 13:49:06 UTC
Zeb DaMadMan2 wrote:
Also noticed on the current latest driver - 320.18 which causes the high shader problem, if you get under stress (I.E. lots of effects) it will periodically fail to render a critical background texture, causing the background to turn completely white for 5-20 seconds.

I have been getting the background going white during missions on drivers 314.07 on a GTX 460 for a few weeks now. The weird thing I noticed is that when it happens the screen only goes white when I am looking in certain directions, i.e. if I turn the camera the background renders but when I turn it back it goes white again. If i turn the camera so the background renders for ~30 seconds then the white doesn't come back, but if I leave it where its white then it takes a few minutes. I didn't file a bugreport because I don't know how to reproduce it and it seems to happen randomly. It hasn't happened for a few days but last week I was getting it every few minutes during a mission.
Slumber
Cellular Vigour
#13 - 2013-06-01 13:52:32 UTC
I found this red problem happened with the new BETA driver only - I put the last driver back in and the game runs normal again . Looking forward to a fix with the newest driver.

AHARM Recruiter

Rikimaru Ichikawa
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2013-06-01 23:00:16 UTC
Yeah I just reverted to the previous driver with my SLi set up, so glad it wasn't just me. Thought my cards were dying. Any chance of SLi enhancement/support in the future?

Also the hyperlink in the launcher post re divert doesn't work. You have to delete the following in front of (shellexec:)https:...
Chira'Relael
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2013-06-02 01:40:49 UTC
i know this is intended to be a post-hotfix thread but i thought i would share two photos ( though many more times it has happened) of my typical experiences with this issue:

first is a partial white-out

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2498/20130220233507a.jpg

second is a full white-out

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5905/20130223074616a.jpg

both times is last from 10-30seconds. while not entirely encumbering it doesnt happen at consisent times or intervals. the camera rotation DOES fix it for a moment, it returns when the camera is again pointed in that direction if during the 10-30seconds.
Frelix
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-06-02 12:08:39 UTC
Figures,

I just installed a new GTX 660 yesterday, old 650TI crapped out. Logged in today, and, my pretty space ain't so pretty anymore.

Off to adjust the shader settings. Twisted
SlickReed
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-06-02 14:06:27 UTC
I have this problem when I downloaded the lastest driver with my desktop GTX660TI SLI running windows 7 but on my laptop 670M with windows 8 I didn't have any problems.
Elijah Hewlett
Black Rise Ballistics
#18 - 2013-06-04 20:49:56 UTC
I have been having the game freeze/crash around stargates.

Windows 7
NVIDIA GT 540M

Prior to the Odyssey update, I had no issues, and could run multiple clients at high graphics.

(Sorry if this is the wrong thread. NVIDIA graphics issues seemed more relevant than complaints about missing skills)
Pothakos
HIgh Sec Care Bears
Brothers of Tangra
#19 - 2013-06-05 00:30:52 UTC
I have been having graphical issue occur, primarily when moving a client from one screen to another.

Windows 7 64 bit
NVIDIA GTX 470

Prior to the Odyssey update, I had no issues, and could run multiple clients at high graphics.

http://s23.postimg.org/3k4ohnoju/glitch2.jpg
Niko72
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#20 - 2013-06-05 00:50:47 UTC
Got this red/blue happening as well.

Win 7 64bit
Asus 670 DCII TOP
i7 3820
123Next pageLast page