These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The bottom line

Author
Firnas
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2011-10-20 20:51:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Firnas
The bottom line is this.

Companies fire 20% of staff because of budget concerns, not to refocus.

Companies fire community reps when they are trying to disconnect the consumers from the product. It means they won't be permitting interaction to change their path in the future.

and here is the big kicker.

Community Forum guys left around here are locking any and all threads that critique the PR put forth by CEO and co, and sending us to one thread, which can be contained. The truth is that our opinion on this matter is best understood and seen by many threads on it, forcing us into one thread allows the situation to be contained and hidden.

I know that my entire alliance dissolved with the NeX and Incarna rollout. I know that I myself liquidated assets and now pay my six accounts with the 37 billion I have left. When that runs out, don't expect me to resub with money.

The locking of any thread of dissent is all I need to know. Going forward, CCP has no intention of changing their plan to make us happy, they just plan to smash any form of complaint or protest so we can't organize to express our displeasure any more.

A post script.

We told you months ago we were not happy when you came up with your 18 month concept. It is a space game. Work on space.

Hilmar, your mea culpa isn't much of one. You come across unapologetic. You'll never get real money from me ever again. Enjoy being a footnote in mmo history, mate.

*edit* Also, if we are firing people, lets fire Zulu for his first post after the NeX dustup, you know, the one where he called all of us children, chest beat about how awesome Eve is and how stupid we are not to see the vision, and yelled at us.

Let's not fire people like Fallout who actually tried to get us answers from behind the lines.
Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#2 - 2011-10-20 21:23:00 UTC
rabble rabble rabble.

(helium phase of eve career. just posting on my main)
I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
Hershman
Vanquished Sentinals
#3 - 2011-10-20 21:25:16 UTC
Firnas wrote:
The bottom line is this.

Companies fire community reps when they are trying to disconnect the consumers from the product. It means they won't be permitting interaction to change their path in the future.

Community Forum guys left around here are locking any and all threads that critique the PR put forth by CEO and co, and sending us to one thread, which can be contained. The truth is that our opinion on this matter is best understood and seen by many threads on it, forcing us into one thread allows the situation to be contained and hidden.

I know that my entire alliance dissolved with the NeX and Incarna rollout. I know that I myself liquidated assets and now pay my six accounts with the 37 billion I have left. When that runs out, don't expect me to resub with money.

The locking of any thread of dissent is all I need to know. Going forward, CCP has no intention of changing their plan to make us happy, they just plan to smash any form of complaint or protest so we can't organize to express our displeasure any more.

A post script.

We told you months ago we were not happy when you came up with your 18 month concept. It is a space game. Work on space.

Hilmar, your mea culpa isn't much of one. You come across unapologetic. You'll never get real money from me ever again. Enjoy being a footnote in mmo history, mate.

*edit* Also, if we are firing people, lets fire Zulu for his first post after the NeX dustup, you know, the one where he called all of us children, chest beat about how awesome Eve is and how stupid we are not to see the vision, and yelled at us.

Let's not fire people like Fallout who actually tried to get us answers from behind the lines.

Can i haz ur stuff?

I play EVE every day! Follow me at http://www.twitch.tv/matthershman

Obsidian Hawk
RONA Midgard Academy
RONA Directorate
#4 - 2011-10-20 21:32:34 UTC
Another alt with no balls to post on their main posting a ton of hot air that they wont follow through with

Why Can't I have a picture signature.

Also please support graphical immersion, bring back the art that brought people to EvE online originaly.

Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#5 - 2011-10-20 22:13:00 UTC
Firnas wrote:

No, it allows whoever's being assigned to watch the forums to see everyone's opinion without having to wade through thousands of individual posts that all say the exact same things.

This is not a conspiracy, and world isn't out to get you.

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Cire XIII
Filthy Peasants
Intergalactic Space Hobos
#6 - 2011-10-20 22:18:14 UTC
Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2011-10-20 23:27:58 UTC
Firnas wrote:
The bottom line is this.

A post script.

Get out.

No really.

Get out.

Malcanis - Without drone assign, the slowcat doctrine will wither and die.

Firnas
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2011-10-22 15:53:54 UTC
Firnas wrote:

I know that my entire alliance dissolved.

Lol @ calling me an alt.
Rico Minali
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2011-10-22 15:58:39 UTC
Another thread saying teh exact same thing.

Listen, CCP will run THEIR business how they want to. If you want to run a business, go and so so, this isnt your game, it is CCPs game, so many people seem to forget that.

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2011-10-22 17:01:55 UTC
There's plenty of threads like this, no need to make another one.

Yeah, the reason for placing them all into one thread is it's easier to read and it gives room for other topics besides these hate threads to appear on the front page.

Yes the 20% cutback is due to financial problems, CCP already admitted to it. When a company does a lay off, anyone who rocked the boat and didn't kiss the big boss butt is getting the axx too. This happens all the time in real life, why would you expect anything different here. Most of us didn't like hearing the names of who got cut but we're not quitting, this is not the time for that. Just be glad that CCP is trying to keep this game going for us to play.

Bottom line, if I was a GM or DEV, I'd be online 23/7 locking threads like this as well. The one thing we need to do is mellow out and see what CCP does with the winter expansion.

Or are you trying to get more players to quit so that CCP goes bankrupt and Eve goes off-line forever? Since you hate everything so much, why don't you do us all a favor and just quit now.
URDEAD2ME
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#11 - 2011-10-22 18:28:51 UTC
Firnas wrote:
The bottom line is this.

A post script.

yet there profit margins that was released was higher than the year before ........ same as the year before that .....
Florestan Bronstein
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2011-10-22 19:01:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Florestan Bronstein
URDEAD2ME wrote:

yet there profit margins that was released was higher than the year before ........ same as the year before that .....

liquidity can be a problem even when profit is fine.

you have to remember that this profit is due to capitalized R&D - i.e. CCP assumes that ~55% of their salary expenses are converted into assets (IP, code, art, ...).

How much this R&D is really worth or will bring in once it is used as part of a product is something no accountant can realistically assess (he just follows the rules set forth by accounting standards which specify what percentage of your R&D-related salaries you can capitalize into assets).

A programmer who is paid 60k/year and spends most of his time procrastinating will still have created 48k worth of assets according to CCP's accounting sheets, regardless of the quality & quantity of his output.
(around 80% of R&D expenses have been capitalized in 2010)

Then there are other issues like CCP not having to pay income taxes in 2010 (in contrast to 2009), instead getting a sizable repayment from the tax authorities which made up for about 1/4 of their profit iirc.

In any case they are burning cash while turning a profit (as cash is converted into assets via salaries).

When cash threatens to run out while the date at which you can try to get a return on these assets (next expansion, DUST release, WoD release) is still quite some time away you have a problem.

Of course you can show your accounting profit to your investors and ask them to give you more money but even if the profit looks nice on paper it is no guarantee of success and further cash injections result in higher stakes / higher risk exposure for them. If they turn you down, you have no choice but to down-size your oh so profitable business.