These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

What happened to Ombey's 2D Maps?

First post
Author
Mik Nostrebor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-05-17 04:58:48 UTC
I have recently come back to Eve and so I am trying to get up to date info on stuff. One thing I found really useful was the 2d maps PDF file that Ombey maintained. I went to the site at www.ombeve.co.uk and saw that the maps had not been updated since 2010!! Now these maps where so useful because

1. I could print them out and they made sense and

2. because I could look at them at work without having a program installed.

Is there anything like that out there now?
Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#2 - 2013-05-17 05:07:38 UTC
DotLan might not as printer-friendly but is much more dynamic and can be viewed via the in-game browser.

Mik Nostrebor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-05-17 05:51:37 UTC
Pesky LaRue wrote:
DotLan might not as printer-friendly but is much more dynamic and can be viewed via the in-game browser.




Actually it is very good. Thanks!
Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#4 - 2013-05-17 06:00:15 UTC
Mik Nostrebor wrote:
Pesky LaRue wrote:
DotLan might not as printer-friendly but is much more dynamic and can be viewed via the in-game browser.




Actually it is very good. Thanks!


...my work here is done...
Ix Method
Doomheim
#5 - 2013-05-17 11:40:44 UTC
Dotlan really are quite hard to read, at least I find so.

IIRC the guy behind those lovely 2d maps quit during the Incarna thing, shame really, wish they'd at least been opened up for someone else to continue the work.

Travelling at the speed of love.

local009
Meteor Industrial Complex
Hardly Competent
#6 - 2013-05-17 11:45:27 UTC  |  Edited by: local009
DotLan also does have a print out version. Well versions....
Major 'Revolver' Ocelot
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-05-17 11:48:56 UTC
This has inspired me to make something...
Fleur Kendall
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-05-17 11:53:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Fleur Kendall
Mik Nostrebor wrote:
I have recently come back to Eve and so I am trying to get up to date info on stuff. One thing I found really useful was the 2d maps PDF file that Ombey maintained. I went to the site at www.ombeve.co.uk and saw that the maps had not been updated since 2010!! Now these maps where so useful because

1. I could print them out and they made sense and

2. because I could look at them at work without having a program installed.

Is there anything like that out there now?


Ombey basically retired from game post incarna, and while there was some interest his work was not continued. As you see he still hosts the pages, but they are out of date.

Dotlan is what I still use, though i will always miss his universe map with regional links, dotlan just doesn't work as neatly.

Had the privilege of meeting Ombey in 2009 FF, and many of my old alliance helped him keep station info and whatnot up to date, EON 2d map booklet is a nice investment if its still available?

This thread discusses the status of the EON stragegic maps
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3036368
Othran
Route One
#9 - 2013-05-17 12:05:41 UTC
I asked Ombey about updates to his maps in late 2009, he told me he used dotlan rather than his own maps Big smile Was a bit of a change getting used to dotlan but worth it.
Fleur Kendall
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-05-17 12:08:11 UTC
Othran wrote:
I asked Ombey about updates to his maps in late 2009, he told me he used dotlan rather than his own maps Big smile Was a bit of a change getting used to dotlan but worth it.


Indeed dotlan is awesome, Wollari always deserves a thank you for his continued work on that front.
Ambassador Spock
Doomheim
#11 - 2013-05-17 15:51:42 UTC
I'm not sure how much will come out of this, but you may be interested to know I'm currently working on an interactive map of New Eden using a pretty hefty mapping program called ArcGIS. When finished, you'll be able to dynamically display all the basic info found on Dotlan, as well as view/change/test routes fairly simply.

The 2D version is progressing rather quickly, though I will need some assistance from CCP (in the form of x,y,z system coordinates) to do the 3D version. I'll make some screenshots and upload them when I have a chance.

 --  - Ambassador Spock

"Vulcans never bluff."

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#12 - 2013-05-17 15:59:25 UTC
Ambassador Spock wrote:
I'm currently working on an interactive map of New Eden using a pretty hefty mapping program called ArcGIS.


Now that's some squirrel hunting with a Howitzer.

Will be very interested to see the final results.


There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Haulie Berry
#13 - 2013-05-17 16:02:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Haulie Berry
Also, GARPA Topographical Survey is pretty nice.
Ambassador Spock
Doomheim
#14 - 2013-05-17 16:03:24 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
Ambassador Spock wrote:
I'm currently working on an interactive map of New Eden using a pretty hefty mapping program called ArcGIS.


Now that's some squirrel hunting with a Howitzer.

Will be very interested to see the final results.




The 2D version will look cool, but won't be much more useful than Dotlan. What I'm aiming for is a full 3D interactive map using ArcScene, but trying to manually assign x,y,z coords for the systems is not something I'd want to have to do. I assume CCP has them sitting around somewhere, and if they're willing to share them, I could do some pretty cool things with them. (Cool if you are, like me, a cartographer by profession)

 --  - Ambassador Spock

"Vulcans never bluff."

Haulie Berry
#15 - 2013-05-17 16:06:08 UTC
Ambassador Spock wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Ambassador Spock wrote:
I'm currently working on an interactive map of New Eden using a pretty hefty mapping program called ArcGIS.


Now that's some squirrel hunting with a Howitzer.

Will be very interested to see the final results.




The 2D version will look cool, but won't be much more useful than Dotlan. What I'm aiming for is a full 3D interactive map using ArcScene, but trying to manually assign x,y,z coords for the systems is not something I'd want to have to do. I assume CCP has them sitting around somewhere, and if they're willing to share them, I could do some pretty cool things with them. (Cool if you are, like me, a cartographer by profession)


I would expect that there's a way that information could be extracted from the game's data files
Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-05-17 16:08:32 UTC
Ambassador Spock wrote:
trying to manually assign x,y,z coords for the systems is not something I'd want to have to do. I assume CCP has them sitting around somewhere, and if they're willing to share them

The data dump has all that, I don't have a link handy, though.

Personally I've been wanting to use the dump to get a contiguous low-sec only map, with the lowest-sec routes through high-sec and the shortest null-sec routes to connect it all. Shame no one's done that (that I know of at least).

CCP has no sense of humour.

Ambassador Spock
Doomheim
#17 - 2013-05-17 16:12:47 UTC
Some Rando wrote:

The data dump has all that, I don't have a link handy, though.


I've never used the data dump (don't even know how to, sadly...). If you happen to find a link, send it my way!

 --  - Ambassador Spock

"Vulcans never bluff."

Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-05-17 16:14:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Some Rando
Ambassador Spock wrote:
I've never used the data dump (don't even know how to, sadly...). If you happen to find a link, send it my way!

It's a SQL dump. You can find a version here:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3001737#post3001737

E: Nevermind, those are a chopped DB dump, missing the systems.

Here's what you want: http://wiki.eve-id.net/CCP_Static_Data_Export

CCP has no sense of humour.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#19 - 2013-05-17 17:32:26 UTC
…and if you don't know enough SQL, here is a list of all lowsec systems, their regions and co-ordinates, and here is a list of all jumps away from lowsec systems (hopefully filtered so that lowsec-to-lowsec jumps are only listed once).
Ambassador Spock
Doomheim
#20 - 2013-05-17 19:25:33 UTC
Tippia wrote:
…and if you don't know enough SQL, here is a list of all lowsec systems, their regions and co-ordinates, and here is a list of all jumps away from lowsec systems (hopefully filtered so that lowsec-to-lowsec jumps are only listed once).


Thanks Tippia, that is indeed exactly what I'd need. (I can script a bit, and I use SQL in my mapping programs, but I am not familiar enough with SQL programs to get at the information I'd need). If you can get me the same list for high & null I'd throw some isk your way. Big smile

 --  - Ambassador Spock

"Vulcans never bluff."

12Next page