These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Fast Character Switching "XP Stylee"

First post
Author
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#1 - 2013-05-07 21:50:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
Anyone else tired of retyping your password when you just want to switch to another character on the same account that you've already logged into? I am and so

My idea is this:

1) Enable a "Switch Character" function from the ESC menu with a button next to Log Off | Quit Game etc.
2) Clicking this button takes you, via a confirmation prompt that can be can be disabled for future use like most of the others, to:
3) Character selection screen. The same screen as if you had just entered your password and logged in.

Just like in Windows XP with it's "Fast User Switching" ability this would remove the need to enter the password required again. This uses up minutes of game time when you could really need that character with the HIC to be shifting his butt from the Safespot you left him at or you've just got an EVEHQ notification none of your Chars are training anything, not even Veldspar Repro!

Flame me, hate me, love me, I want it all but if you do please add a reason and I'll respond where I can. I've thought this through as a general idea but not the specifics so let the burning commence Twisted

Max.

EDIT: For clarity and due to the persistent launcher I have edited the parts that are no longer relevant by scoring them through.
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#2 - 2013-05-07 21:51:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
UPDATED: Of course if you did use FCS you would still be subject to the "FCS screen me baby!" or the "30 seconds to be sure I'm safe then please FCS screen me" as with the current "Log off" "Log off Safely" buttons.

All other timers etc STILL apply like not cloaking and warping you off if you have an aggression timer for PVP etc. = Abuse free.

So, perhaps two buttons are required:
(*) Safe Switch = Wait the 30 seconds same as a Safe Log-off and then switches to the Character Selection Screen
(*) Switch = No wait period just goes straight to the Character Selection Screen. For those that REALLY just need to switch out.

EDIT:

We'd need the Logoff and Logoff Safely Buttons back for this OFC Roll since they've been removed.
Jack Ogeko
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-05-07 21:54:01 UTC
friendly bump
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#4 - 2013-05-07 22:08:23 UTC
Good idea +1 bump.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#5 - 2013-05-07 23:17:46 UTC
A character switch option has been asked for YEARS and is almost always warmly received by the community.

I think there are technical problems on CCP's side.
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#6 - 2013-05-07 23:23:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
ShahFluffers wrote:
A character switch option has been asked for YEARS and is almost always warmly received by the community.

I appreciate the comment but I'm hoping with them stepping into the world of SSO (Single Sign On) that this might get on their radar. I've spoken to an individual that has said "...[SSO] it may be more feasible. I'll definitely remind people."

Let's hope it comes through this time eh. If nothing else I've gotten 3 comments without a flame so far so at least I'm not fail posting.

EDIT: Gravimetric and other flavours are available Big smile
Omnathious Deninard
Ministry of Silly Walks.
Parasitic Legion.
#7 - 2013-05-07 23:43:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Omnathious Deninard
*RAGE, THE POWER PROJECTION* ( I think, maybe, possibly, in an alternate existence)
I like the idea.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

BlakPhoenix
Load Up Blast Everything
DARKNESS.
#8 - 2013-05-08 04:59:17 UTC
YES PLEASE!
Caitlyn Tufy
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-05-08 05:15:19 UTC
I am Caitlyn Tufy and this is my favorite idea on the EVE Forums.

Cool
Zan Shiro
Alternative Enterprises
#10 - 2013-05-08 05:51:46 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

my guess its the only way to be sure char A's sql connection and processes are broken to do char B clean.

SQL server has gotten better over the years, but it sometimes needs that swift kick in the ass to keep it inline. Especially on a DB structure patched together over years with rotating devs. Our company like this. Some devs in the past were good, others not so good. And sometimes when the code monkeys don't see an expected change right away we have mild to wild means to make it change (our devs code, we net admins do the grunt server side crap).

Log off log in would be mild, you want mild. The admins want mild too.
Azrael Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#11 - 2013-05-08 05:54:16 UTC
yes please

After centuries of debating and justifying... Break Cloaks tm

TheSkeptic
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-05-08 06:41:16 UTC
Pretty sure if you watch the fanfest presentations this is something CCP said they already want to do and are planning to implement. But they need to finish CREST first and get it to a point they're happy with it before rolling it into the eve client.

The whole SSO and switch character thing was actually demo'd with the DUST companion app on the PS Vita.

Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-05-08 07:02:04 UTC
Yes, This is one of the long needed features in the not so soon(TM) list.....

I tried to sugest something like it... but being more complex my sugestion... you know....

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=212491&find=unread

Take a look please...
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#14 - 2013-05-08 12:51:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
Jureth22
Perkone
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-05-08 20:28:58 UTC
+++.also double/triple clienting from the same account would be nice.
Aelita Proserpine
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#16 - 2013-05-08 20:56:17 UTC
+1 from me. This is long overdue!

As for the comment above I have to disagree. Alts are alts for reason. Want more than one Char on the go at one time then sub another account. Sorry.
General Guardian
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-05-08 22:24:20 UTC
I was just thinking this a couple days ago. Switching to another character (market alts) back and forth gets tedious after a couple times, and I have a really long password
Namselas Eht
Greg MonFuego Biotech LLC
#18 - 2013-05-09 12:42:37 UTC
Alx Warlord wrote:
Yes, This is one of the long needed features in the not so soon(TM) list.....

Take a look please...

It's not long overdue it used to exist, they took it out because people exploited it. Sh*t I'm old.
Roime
Shiva Furnace
#19 - 2013-05-09 13:08:45 UTC
Using alts should be harder, not easier.

De'Veldrin
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2013-05-09 13:13:00 UTC
Yes, please.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

123Next pageLast page