These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Actual PvP tutorial mission?

Author
Zappity
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#1 - 2013-04-17 00:43:04 UTC
I haven't done the tutorial missions since I started about a year ago. Are there any tutorial PvP missions? Something like a mission that sends you to a Rookie ship plex in the learner systems to fight another actual capsuleer rather than NPC. The reward would be a PVP-fit T1 Rifter (or if you want something useful an Incursus Big smile).

If not, why not?

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

DataRunner Attor
Doomheim
#2 - 2013-04-17 01:11:40 UTC
Zappity wrote:
I haven't done the tutorial missions since I started about a year ago. Are there any tutorial PvP missions? Something like a mission that sends you to a Rookie ship plex in the learner systems to fight another actual capsuleer rather than NPC. The reward would be a PVP-fit T1 Rifter (or if you want something useful an Incursus Big smile).

If not, why not?

it cause PVP and the tutorial missions are unpredictable, CCP can't predict that a player will accept this mission, and in turn actually fly there to get blown up/destroy something. NPCs are much more reliable, as they will be there, they will do what the code will tell them, short of a glitch or a bug in the code.

“Point out to me a person who has been harmed by an AFK cloaker and I will point out a person who has no business playing this game.”

Zappity
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#3 - 2013-04-17 02:36:05 UTC
Can't be that hard. Kills and losses are recorded so give them, say, two days to get a kill, that's all. Make the mission reward enticing enough and there will be plenty of opportunities.

Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2013-04-17 02:45:56 UTC
Don't you diss the mighty rust-buckety legend of the newbies! Generations of pilots craved for more after spilling their first blood in the mighty rifter! P

It actually wouldn't be so hard to code a pseudo-player rat. Make it dumb - it locks up the player, moves into his optimal, points him and starts orbiting while firing. In the meantime make its damage/tank similar to an actual pvp-fitted boat of this sort (a typical thing like a Merlin, Rifter, Incursus, Punisher...).

Finally, as a reward - make it have something shiney inside the player can sell/fit to his ship (for newbie standards anyway, not a 120m ISK point or something) and eject a pod. Then have Aura scream at the player "GET THE POD GET THE POD!" as he's likely to hear from his friends when in a fleet Blink

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Zappity
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#5 - 2013-04-17 02:50:56 UTC
Yeah, I'm really crying on the inside about the Rifter at the moment but couldn't resist!

There's something very different about fighting another player. Has to be PvP.

Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2013-04-17 03:12:25 UTC
To this date it might be the ship I lost the most of. In glorious ways. Like to a Scimitar.

Yes, fighting actual players is special - and showing the newbies that pvp is omnipresent in the game is a good thing. The issue is, actual pvp will be quickly exploited by more experienced players who love to be jerks. Like me!

Hell, I recall my friend stealing someone's noobship once by canflipping and demanding he ejects. I doubt his soberity at that point - he traded it to me later, I had an Ibis back before you could buy noobships.

So, said player creates an alt, runs the mission, starts fighting, warps his buddy in a frig logi. And wastes the poor other chap with him having no chance. Or just is a better player and outmaneuvers his opponent - making an introduction into pvp a tad confusing. (blapped before I could reach him? Sorcery! He was repaired? Shenanigans!)

While yes, it's actually a realistic portrayal - being outnumbered, outlogi'd, sniped or finding yourself in someone's trap is a staple of pvp, it may be quite discouraging.

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Zappity
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#7 - 2013-04-17 04:15:24 UTC
Sure. There are lots of reasons it could be difficult to implement. Regarding your specific (and certainly realistic) scenario, maybe they could make a new plex limited to Rookie ships that only spawns in newbie systems. And the GMs already treat these systems differently so it wouldn't be too unusual for there to be some control of these first interactions.

And if the tutorial makes it clear that they get another noobship for free when they dock again who will care?

I was actually going to suggest a broader range of missions in the OP. How about:

1. Go into lowsec. That's all.
2. Get podded. Would probably be combined with #1 anyway.
3. Suicide gank!

Well at least the first two...

The point I am trying to make is that one of the major aspects of the game isn't even touched by the tutorials. It took me about six months to venture into lowsec (a different character) and nearly a year to start PvP. I would have been much less reluctant to explore these other sides of the game if they had been covered in a tutorial.

There could be a whole series of completely optional PvP tutorials alongside mining, missioning, distribution etc. They could 'graduate' to PvP corps instead of mission agents. Maybe that would be the last mission.

sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-04-17 04:16:17 UTC
You want rookie kms?Lol
Zappity
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#9 - 2013-04-17 04:20:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Zappity
sabre906 wrote:
You want rookie kms?Lol

Absolutely. My killboard is overflowing with them. Damn noobies... Big smile

Keeper O'Secrets
The Collllective
#10 - 2013-04-17 04:51:09 UTC
the one downside i see to using rookies on rookies for pvp training, is the fact its another rookie.... training implies they learn from the process and can progress, however they could either go against something that will sit still... or completely pwn them and scare them off pvp even more...

i agree that npc is the only way to go tutorial wise, however, an npc behaving like a player, would be better [infact all npc ai needs upgrading to sleeper level imo...]...

perhaps the mission, could be an accel gate that only allows rookie ships to enter, and they are pitted against rats that can match the rookie ships damage output, rep amount, ect.

few further missions maby with increased difficulty but allowing slightly better ships - maby ones rewarded for completing the previous ones...

another thing that i would like to see implimented, which falls in line with being usefull for this sort of "pvp training" could be a rookie system, accessable from an accel gate only allowing rookie ships (dont know if ccp can limit stargate jump size or if thats universal.... accel gate would get past that *possible* issue), it takes you into a system, and you fight with other ships, you have 0 stations, no return stargates. this i think, would prevent too many people sending in like 500m isk noobships [which i KNOW some would do just cos...], then, in this 0.0 system, you fight with whoever appears... it would also teach podding... and, if you dont get podded, the exit strategy if your stranded somewhere... this is mainly off the top of my head, but think worth considering as an option for the op :)

would be happy to bounce any more ideas... :)
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#11 - 2013-04-17 05:23:59 UTC
People would recycle alts to farm newbies in the PVP tutorials.
Zappity
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#12 - 2013-04-17 05:45:49 UTC
Kahega Amielden wrote:
People would recycle alts to farm newbies in the PVP tutorials.

So what? The objective would be to give them a PvP experience which they can build on. As a noob you win some but lose more anyway. The rookie systems are pretty busy and I think you would have a good chance of getting other new players fairly often.

Zappity
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#13 - 2013-04-19 21:19:25 UTC
Similar end point but different proposal described in a new article at themittani.com:

http://themittani.com/features/fixing-eves-mission-system