These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Earth?

Author
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#1 - 2013-03-15 23:06:17 UTC
Well, heres a big one with regards to the fiction only CCP can answer, and its a specific part of the knowlege of Earth I'm curious to know.

Does CCP know what happened to Earth and the Terrans? Not asking to be told, I don't like spoilers if they are part of the overarching plot I hope is there.... But I just need to know, is there a sealed vault with an envelope sealed with the blood of TomB containg what happened to Earth, that the knowlege exists in a plot Bible somewhere that is never to be revealed fully.

I suppose ultimately this is like a worshiper asking a priest if God exists... but still.

tl;dr

Anyone at CCP know what happened to Earth, no need for spoilers.

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Julian Darklight
Fanged Revenant
Dead Heaven Syndicate
#2 - 2013-03-15 23:54:44 UTC
If you watch the old trailer it leaves little doubt that Earth is dead, and has long been so.
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#3 - 2013-03-16 00:19:21 UTC
Julian Darklight wrote:
If you watch the old trailer it leaves little doubt that Earth is dead, and has long been so.

It said a world outgrown that could not by itself sustain humanity, I don't interpret that as a Serenity style evacuation but as a spreading out of the existing population to the stars.

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Marcion Cravik
Phoibe Enterprises
#4 - 2013-03-16 00:20:07 UTC
Julian Darklight wrote:

No no, you mixed that up. Our side of the Eve Gate died when it collapsed. Earth had that huge corporate space empire that could afford a couple of multi-century wars.
Sepherim
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2013-03-16 02:18:39 UTC
Indeed. Earth is probably active and well on its own, expanding as it can.

Sepherim Catillah Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris Liuteneant Ex-Imperial Navy Imperator Commander

Lendwill
FREE BURRITO LTD.
Rote Works
#6 - 2013-03-16 05:25:27 UTC
It could also be that time is not uniform on either side of the gate with no time passing on the Earth side. That would mean they don't notice the gate closing and would still be over-crowded and eager to expand. So what happens when one day the gate finally opens again on our side...
Keitunen Eto
Seituoda Corporation
#7 - 2013-03-16 07:59:57 UTC
Ive always wondered this..... Would like to know

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Seriphyn Inhonores
Elusenian Cooperative
#8 - 2013-03-16 12:15:51 UTC
Many times, writers don't even have an answer to the unanswered questions in their own creations. It sustains the element of mystery and intrigue.

I suspect the same with CCP and Earth.
Eija-Riitta Veitonen
Ixian Machines
#9 - 2013-03-16 12:45:48 UTC
Nearly 16 thousand years have passed since the collapse of the EVE gate, for what we know terrans on the other side may have killed off each other long time ago. We do know, that they ran short on space to expand prior to discovery of the EVE wormhole, and that lack of space spurred armed conflicts in between factions. Although it would be awesome to get some more information on what happened on the other side. At least unofficially.
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#10 - 2013-03-16 13:55:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Kirjava
Eija-Riitta Veitonen wrote:
. Although it would be awesome to get some more information on what happened on the other side. At least unofficially.

It would be awesome to know, its part of the allure, the mystery. All I'm hoping for is that CCP have a note of what the intend to happen on the Earth side regardless of if it ever comes into the plot.

X series eventualy brought Earth back into the plot, though I always liked the idea that one of my colonies in wormhole space was planted on an abandoned Earth.....

Tykari
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-03-16 17:39:46 UTC
Eija-Riitta Veitonen wrote:
Nearly 16 thousand years have passed since the collapse of the EVE gate, for what we know terrans on the other side may have killed off each other long time ago. We do know, that they ran short on space to expand prior to discovery of the EVE wormhole, and that lack of space spurred armed conflicts in between factions. Although it would be awesome to get some more information on what happened on the other side. At least unofficially.

It depends really, the limits of Stargate technology is what caused the expansion to stop. The EVE wormhole allowed to bridge a huge gap of space where conventional gates could be used again to set up and expand an entire network.

The thing is, with some of the Ancient races out there in EVE we get hints that some of them developed better technology during the Dark Ages that did away with some of those issues. In those 16.000 years there is a very good chance that Earth and the Terrans would have created and improved on space travel technology to do away with those limits as well. Keeping in mind the large volume of systems they already colonised before EVE, it seems a little difficult to imagine they would have been able to wipe out each and every world before they came up with new tech, especially considering how wars tend to accelerate technological developments.

In this dark void we are like brilliant stars, holding within us both the creative and destructive power to bring a new dawn upon worlds or plunge them into eternal darkness.

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-03-16 23:14:23 UTC
In EVE lore, all the average person living in New Eden is that Earth/Terra is where humanity came from and it's on the otherside of the EVE gate. Apart from that, not much else is known. For the most part, anything regarding Earth can be seen as a myth.

We don't know what happened to Earth and the Humans on the other side of the wormhole. There many fan theories, a lot of them regarding sleepers like the Sleepers were responsible for destroying humanity or even better PLOT TWIST: THE SLEEPERS ARE HUMANS

Occasionally, ancient Terran technology is discovered and exploited by someone.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#13 - 2013-03-19 02:50:05 UTC
You should start your search in the Goner Temple.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

KingMazz ONE
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-03-19 11:40:25 UTC
BLAME GOONSWARM THEY DID IT. ITS A SCAM.

IT MAKE"S MY WINKY GO DING !!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#15 - 2013-03-19 12:17:46 UTC
Beginning to suspecting there's a general blanket ban from ISD and the Devs going anywhere near Earth related threads incase they somehow let something slip by accident. Well played CCP, but that answers my bloody question in the first place as to if there was anything written down to know Twisted

Sepherim
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2013-03-19 13:01:59 UTC
Kirjava wrote:
Beginning to suspecting there's a general blanket ban from ISD and the Devs going anywhere near Earth related threads incase they somehow let something slip by accident. Well played CCP, but that answers my bloody question in the first place as to if there was anything written down to know Twisted

I don't see how silence can answer any question. They could have been silent because they don't know, or because the answer hasn't been made and they were told not to say anything about it non existing, or whatever.

In the end, as much as we'd like to know, truth is that it doesn't matter at all unless, as has been explained, they can come back into EVE one way or another. And, if they do, then we'll know what happened.

Sepherim Catillah Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris Liuteneant Ex-Imperial Navy Imperator Commander

Sonkut
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2013-03-19 13:07:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Sonkut
You can't really assume just because you have had an answer that there necessarily IS an answer. With something as big as eve where you can write stories involving sleepers, corps, empires, pirates, space zombies, plagues, rogue ai, wormholes, anything pretty much you can imagine that could happen in what is a small galaxy….. do you really think they have gotten so far as figuring out what happened in the past 16 thousand years on the other side of the gate?

I always like the idea that wormholes take you to old earth systems, but I would have thought they would have been stripped clean of resources. There is the other thought that sleepers are the method used to colonise systems the earth forces are interested in, a method of expansion before the primary force arrives? Like placing a flag pole on the moon only sent by what has developed from a megacorp after 16000 years.

The other thought is that they suffered the same fate as the Jove.
Rall Mekin
End-of-Line
#18 - 2013-03-20 20:32:14 UTC
Its 16K years of history. Do you really want to try to figure out 16K years of drama and build a game like EVE? All they'd have would be footnotes.

In 16k years at the rate our technology is progressing, unless we hit a bottleneck, EVE-type technology would likely be a footnote. I don't think the Four Empires would want to encounter Terra if they weren't friendly.
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#19 - 2013-03-21 01:29:49 UTC
Rall Mekin wrote:
Its 16K years of history. Do you really want to try to figure out 16K years of drama and build a game like EVE? All they'd have would be footnotes.

Exactly.
That is exactly what I am asking, do those notes exist or not.

Dreygun
Alexylva Paradox
#20 - 2013-03-23 09:46:00 UTC
if i had to guess i would say that earth is being saved for a far off expansion in which the eve gate reopens and the super advanced terrans invade to reclaim the lost "colonies" they would be way more advanced than us so they would constitute end game PVE.
123Next page