These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Steve Ronuken (who?) for CSM 8: Throwing my hat in the ring!

First post
Author
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#1 - 2013-03-14 11:45:43 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Dolan
Edit:
More wordy posts will go here:
http://www.fuzzwork.co.uk/category/csm8/


It's a nice hat. Please don't trample it too badly.

Who is this upstart, what does he stand for, and who is that giving him a rectal examination?

As can be seen from this character's employment history, I'm coming up on my 18 month anniversary of finding this immense time sink called Eve Online. And there are times I know I've still barely scratched the surface. As you can see from the details in my Sig, I have delusions of being able to code useful applications for people. And I have the poor self control, to have multiple accounts. So my PvP is, at least in part, firewalled off onto one of them. (Hence the dearth of kills on this account)


As for what I stand for, that's fairly simple. I stand for those things that will make my life easier/more comfortable/more fun. In rising order of importance. I'm far from unique, so what makes my game experience better, will likely improve many other people's too. If you're looking for nitty gritty details, I'll go into some here, but for other examples, have a look through my posting history and blog. I'll try to at least touch on all the major points here, and if you want things more fleshed out, either give me a yell and I'll exercise my logorrhea or have a dig through what I've written already.

The 'little' guy
I don't make the mistake of thinking that my play style is the only one. Or the best one. It's merely the one that suits me best. What is that playstyle you ask? It's a fairly casual one, based out of high sec with occasional forays into faction warfare. As such, I don't think that 'singleton' players should get frozen out of activities. I'm not talking about things like Incursions, or big fleet battles. I'm talking about things like manufacturing. You shouldn't /need/ to go to nullsec to be competitive, as some people have, perhaps inadvertently, suggested with their recommendations to Fix Nullsec Industry. I'm not saying that you should be able to make the same overall profit in highsec. That's just insane. But you shouldn't be able to be frozen out of the market entirely, or left begging for scraps.

The Manufacturer/Corporation Roles
There are a bunch of people out there who would love to be in corporations with other players. But who have taken to heart the 'trust nobody' paranoia that Eve engenders. So they stay in their own one or two man corps, alone or with people that they can actually hit in person, doing their manufacturing, locked away from some of the larger social aspects by the, umm, inflexibility of the corporate role system; knowing if they let the wrong person in, they could see all the corporate jobs cancelled, and all the materials stolen. Sure, corporate spying is a fine tradition, but the total inability to grant access only to their own corporate jobs is somewhat limiting, when it comes to manufacturing trust.

Aside from that aspect, my RSI is acting up, how about yours? The S&I interface needs work. And manufacturing in POS needs some loving. Nothing particularly major or game changing (the manufacturing game. not EVE), but a reduction in clicks and moving stuff around.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#2 - 2013-03-14 11:45:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Steve Ronuken
Ganking/bumping
Bumping seems a trifle unbalanced, mostly from small ships not pancaking on big ones. Bumping a titan, with anything but a titan, for example. Other than that, go for it Smile Every ship ganked is a profit for someone. Sometimes that someone is me. It shouldn't be easy but if you're foolish enough to not fit a tank of any kind at all, you deserve to lose the ship. No, a small shield booster doesn't count. Damage controls are wonderful. Learn to love them.


Nullsec
Disclaimer: I'm not in Nullsec. So everything I say on the matter should be taken a few cubic meters of salt. I'll quite happily pontificate on it, as long as that disclaimer is understood.

Nullsec needs work. Structure grinds are no-one's most favorite thing in the world ever. Large blobs too. I've laid out some thoughts on restructuring Sov warfare in my blog, but the short version is: lots of small, medium and large targets, each of which can have a negative impact on the Sov of the system/region they're in. Want to go and steal some moon-goo? Sure. You won't be able to take the harvester offline without some serious effort, but you will be able to steal some. Always getting Hot Dropped getting you down? Have some targets which are more limited in size, where you can hide from enemy carriers, but have to face their frigate wings. And you can't just warp away, having to fight to the exit of a plex.

The ideas have evolved a little since the last blog, but rest assure, I'm not suggesting button orbiting, or NPC blapping being part of Sov warfare. Just some variety. Stuff for small gangs to do, as well as larger fleets.

Then there's Nullsec industry. I feel for you guys. You go to the trouble ot grinding sov, and it's still better to do it in highsec. That needs to change. At the very least, you should have parity. There's been a big thread on nullsec industry lately, with a bunch of posts in it by yours truly. They lay out my suggestions. (Add some restrictions to highsec stations, make some of the POS logistics easier, improve outposts, add additional methods for storing stuff securely in null.)

Third party stuff
*stands up* My name's Steve, and I'm a third party developer.

CCP does a great job working with third party devs. But there are rough edges that need worked on; Clarification on market data. Kill reports which can be requested by multiple endpoints in quick succession. An update to the IGB. A few more IGB functions. CREST, even if it's just the OAUTH2 bit, without any data access (Though I'd still want to get my hands on the whole thing. Pardon the drool.) Some more data in the SDE.

Do I expect to be anyone's first candidate? Nope. And I shouldn't be. There's a very strong selection of candidates. But second or third? That'd be nice. Please excuse me, my medication is here.

Dust
Last minute addition!
I play Dust 514 as well. I'm hilariously bad at it.(Give me the hilarious, please. I need it to retain some sense of dignity) So I'm very interested to see how it works out, and how they're planning on integrating it with EVE. And I really don't want to see it break either game. I'm active in the Dust community, and I don't think I've alienated anyone, so that's a contact point.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#3 - 2013-03-14 11:46:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Steve Ronuken
If you want to chat, I'm on irc.coldfront.net, in #eve-radio, #eve-dev and #dust514, as Fuzzysteve. I'm on twitter as the same.


Reserved for defending myself from vile imprecations.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Candy Oshea
Techfree Investment Group
#4 - 2013-03-14 12:08:01 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:

The Manufacturer/Corporation Roles
There are a bunch of people out there who would love to be in corporations with other players. But who have taken to heart the 'trust nobody' paranoia that Eve engenders. So they stay in their own one or two man corps, alone or with people that they can actually hit in person, doing their manufacturing, locked away from some of the larger social aspects by the, umm, inflexibility of the corporate role system; knowing if they let the wrong person in, they could see all the corporate jobs cancelled, and all the materials stolen. Sure, corporate spying is a fine tradition, but the total inability to grant access only to their own corporate jobs is somewhat limiting, when it comes to manufacturing trust.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ please fix!

iCandy  - I have accidently swallowed some Scrabble tiles, my next shit could spell disaster!

Wescro2
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#5 - 2013-03-14 12:13:20 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Do I expect to be anyone's first candidate? Nope. And I shouldn't be.


Not with that attitude!

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#6 - 2013-03-14 12:33:02 UTC
Wescro2 wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Do I expect to be anyone's first candidate? Nope. And I shouldn't be.


Not with that attitude!




Your first pick should be the one your Alliance masters tell you!

I kid, I kid. Big smile

More seriously, I'm just being realistic. Very few people know me from Adam.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#7 - 2013-03-14 14:07:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Steve Ronuken
To fill in some details, as I was asked:


Non-consensual PvP is a core part of EVE. It should never be removed. You should always be able to violence someone else's boat.

There should be consequences for doing so, but it should always be /possible/.

And if you get together with a few of your closest friends, no ship should be safe. The price of the ship should not be considered a balancing factor.

Yes, ganking a freighter with 20+ odd catalysts should be possible. Economic, perhaps not (due to having to split the loot 20+ ways) but possible.


Someone decides that flying a freighter with 20 Billion isk in it is a good idea? Go show them the error of their ways, with my blessing.


As for wardecs:

They need work. But that's not to say 'They should be removed'. or 'They should be consensual'. What they need is something to incentivize the other side to actually try and fight. A war-dec where one side (Aggressor or Defender) stays docked all the time is /no/ fun for anyone. Ditto with a war where one side remains logged off. Which is what you'd get if there was a mechanic to 'force' a fight (and one side wanted to not fight).

I don't have a working solution for that. I've seen some suggestions with the payment being used for a bounty, or something, which makes it a little more possible, but it seems a bit off. And other suggestions reintroduce dec-shielding, which is to be avoided. So, I'm thinking about it, but no suggestions yet.




Duels:

I have no problem with duels. Up to and including fleet vs fleet vs fleet fights. Just so long as they're not made inviolate. As long as someone can interfere with the regular penalties, that's just fine and dandy. Yes, you can't do the old 'can flip then have my corpmates jump him' trick. But it's not a huge loss.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Kainotomiu Ronuken
koahisquad
#8 - 2013-03-14 19:16:36 UTC
How can you expect anyone to vote for you when you put so little thought into the identity that you were creating in EVE that you choose a default surname for your character?
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#9 - 2013-03-14 19:22:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Steve Ronuken
Kainotomiu Ronuken wrote:
How can you expect anyone to vote for you when you put so little thought into the identity that you were creating in EVE that you choose a default surname for your character?


Because I don't RP? I'm not saying RP is bad, but I don't have a separate identity in game from out of game. Also, I wasn't sure if, when I created my first character, Eve was going to hold my attention. It did. I'm still here. And it's not like I can change my name.



As an aside, at least I'm not a number? Blink

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Alphax45
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-03-14 19:30:08 UTC
I like the honest and "little guy" approach here. You have one of my votes good sir!
Bethan Le Troix
Krusual Investigation Agency
#11 - 2013-03-15 16:49:37 UTC
Candy Oshea wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:

The Manufacturer/Corporation Roles
There are a bunch of people out there who would love to be in corporations with other players. But who have taken to heart the 'trust nobody' paranoia that Eve engenders. So they stay in their own one or two man corps, alone or with people that they can actually hit in person, doing their manufacturing, locked away from some of the larger social aspects by the, umm, inflexibility of the corporate role system; knowing if they let the wrong person in, they could see all the corporate jobs cancelled, and all the materials stolen. Sure, corporate spying is a fine tradition, but the total inability to grant access only to their own corporate jobs is somewhat limiting, when it comes to manufacturing trust.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ please fix!


The corporation roles & permissions in conjunction with their use to run POSes should be top of the list for the next job to be completed. I agree with you wholeheartedly and the votes for my two main accounts are yours Steve.

I did place votes last year on the CSM and please excuse my ignorance but where do I go to place my votes? Big smile

The news section at log in seems pretty sparse nowadays and there has been little written there about the CSM voting process this year. Unless I missed it.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#12 - 2013-03-15 16:56:02 UTC
Bethan Le Troix wrote:
Candy Oshea wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:

The Manufacturer/Corporation Roles
There are a bunch of people out there who would love to be in corporations with other players. But who have taken to heart the 'trust nobody' paranoia that Eve engenders. So they stay in their own one or two man corps, alone or with people that they can actually hit in person, doing their manufacturing, locked away from some of the larger social aspects by the, umm, inflexibility of the corporate role system; knowing if they let the wrong person in, they could see all the corporate jobs cancelled, and all the materials stolen. Sure, corporate spying is a fine tradition, but the total inability to grant access only to their own corporate jobs is somewhat limiting, when it comes to manufacturing trust.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ please fix!


The corporation roles & permissions in conjunction with their use to run POSes should be top of the list for the next job to be completed. I agree with you wholeheartedly and the votes for my two main accounts are yours Steve.

I did place votes last year on the CSM and please excuse my ignorance but where do I go to place my votes? Big smile

The news section at log in seems pretty sparse nowadays and there has been little written there about the CSM voting process this year. Unless I missed it.



I'd expect a dev blog to come out some time around the 22nd of march, when they announce everyone who's going to stand, for the preelection stage (200 votes needed, or you don't go onto the main list)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#13 - 2013-03-15 22:42:41 UTC
Some unsolicited but well-meaning advice from the peanut gallery:

-Humility will get you nowhere in the world of politics. Let this thread drop to page 20 and post new candidacy announcement thread. Make no mention of humility or lack of qualifications.
-Brand yourself. Create a brief statement of what you stand for, what you want to achieve, etc. That's your brand. Use it as your headline, tagline, post subject line.
-Try to avoid paragraphs that are any longer than three sentences long. Assume that your reader is lazy, hyperactive, ADD, and allergic to tl;dr. Get the idea across as briefly and succinctly as possible.
-Impact over reason. The EVE body of voters might want a little reasonableness. But in the end, its more of a popularity contest. Sort of like running for high school class president. Not what you say, but how you present yourself. Thus, impact over reason.
-Use cheesey bullet points, like these. Help the guy reading while eating his lunch at work easily spot the ideas.

OK, again, just some unsolicited comments. I like what you said, but think the presentation needs a little more grittiness for this crowd. Smile
Nathan Jameson
Grumpy Bastards
No Response
#14 - 2013-03-16 11:34:17 UTC
Above poster is spot on the money. Sometimes it's sad how much thinking you have to do for the voters.

http://www.wormholes.info

Candy Oshea
Techfree Investment Group
#15 - 2013-03-19 00:31:44 UTC
FIX POS, YES IM MAD

iCandy  - I have accidently swallowed some Scrabble tiles, my next shit could spell disaster!

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#16 - 2013-03-19 05:18:30 UTC
Candy Oshea wrote:
FIX POS, YES IM MAD



What constitutes fixed for you?

Something like:

The person anchoring the POS gets to decide who can access what on it, including putting stuff offline and anchoring it. Rather than it just being 'You have the role to put in a job, so you can also cancel jobs corporation wide'

Or are you also looking for a unified hangar? (which I'd love. Even if it was reduced numbers of hangars) And the ability to anchor it 'anywhere'

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Apricot Baby
caldariprimeponyclub
#17 - 2013-03-21 05:45:11 UTC
Thank you Steve for the donation to the New Player CSM Participation Program, I am sure they will appreciate it! Big smile

Unreleased Ships (Images) - www.imgur.com/a/uablN Unreleased Ships (Videos) - www.youtube.com/user/TanithAmberdemon Eve Celshader Project - www.imgur.com/a/5mn44

Zloco Crendraven
BALKAN EXPRESS
Shadow Cartel
#18 - 2013-03-21 13:37:59 UTC
Not bad but no mention for lowsec!

BALEX, bringing piracy on a whole new level.

SmarncaV2
Snuff Box
Snuffed Out
#19 - 2013-03-21 15:06:48 UTC
tl:dr
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#20 - 2013-03-21 19:14:25 UTC
Zloco Crendraven wrote:
Not bad but no mention for lowsec!



Funny you should mention that...

http://www.fuzzwork.co.uk/2013/03/21/lowsec-csm8-trail/

I've it posted to your failheap thread too, but it's waiting for moderation.

Short version:

Lowsec isn't my main focus. But I am still concerned about the relative balances between high, Low and Null.

Sure, lowsec has FW, but that's far from all the lowsec systems. There needs to be something to draw day trippers in. And there needs to be a difference from NPC null beyond gate guns and sec hits. So keeping out super caps. (Except in very specific conditions)

And some form of ownership would be nice.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

12Next page