These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Forum "Agree" button

Author
Abigail Sagan
Skeleton Liberation Front
#1 - 2012-11-21 12:27:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Abigail Sagan
I would prefer to have an Agree button instead of (or preferably: in addition to) the Like button here in the Forums. The reason for this is, that even though I may agree with the text of the post in question, I might not like it. For example poster may write: "CCP failed with Incarna Expansion because of ...". Reader may agree about the matter without actually liking it. I hate to "like" posts like that - it may give totally wrong picture about the situation.

Option: There could also be Disagree button. Disagree doesn't have the same negative connotations like Dislike would have if it existed. If Disagree button is also added, then Likes, Agrees and Disagrees all should have different counter.

Edit: Fixed "Dislike" counter to "Disagree" counter.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-11-21 12:53:17 UTC
Liked.

Because no other alternative Smile
MailDeadDrop
Archon Industries
#3 - 2012-11-21 16:34:07 UTC
Abigail Sagan wrote:
Option: There could also be Disagree button. Disagree doesn't have the same negative connotations like Dislike would have if it existed. If Disagree button is also added, then Likes, Agrees and Dislikes all should have different counter

I'd like to believe you meant "Likes, Agrees, and Disagrees all should have different counters."

Did you review CCP's position on the reasons for not including a Dislike button before posting this idea?

MDD
Luc Chastot
#4 - 2012-11-21 16:44:54 UTC
I like the idea, and also agree.

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Abigail Sagan
Skeleton Liberation Front
#5 - 2012-11-22 07:48:43 UTC
MailDeadDrop wrote:
Abigail Sagan wrote:
Option: There could also be Disagree button. Disagree doesn't have the same negative connotations like Dislike would have if it existed. If Disagree button is also added, then Likes, Agrees and Dislikes all should have different counter

I'd like to believe you meant "Likes, Agrees, and Disagrees all should have different counters."

Did you review CCP's position on the reasons for not including a Dislike button before posting this idea?

MDD


Yes, I made mistake there. I ment "Disagree" just like you said. I haven't read about CCP's view about Dislike button, but I believe that I know why Dislike button should not be added. Agree, Disagree and Like buttons would be acceptable imo though.

PS: I will fix the text in the OP: Dislike => Disagree counter.
Commander Ted
Syndicate Enterprise
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#6 - 2012-11-22 09:40:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Commander Ted
I always thought if a good post gets a thumbs down by people who are biased, it inclines people to also dislike it like lemmings.
"I am not totally educated on what this guy is talking about in his post, however it has two dislikes which makes me inclined to disagree with him." Such binary rating systems can mislead people. Also if you get quite a few dislikes it may discourage you from further posting instead of defending your idea and convincing others.

Really just creates a circle jerk of people who are saying what is most popular so they have the best like to dislike ratio.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=174097 Separate all 4 empires in eve with lowsec.

Hitego Luna
POCKET-ACES
#7 - 2012-11-22 11:37:33 UTC
In the past, complex rating systems on youtube and other sites have been transformed into simple ratings systems (star rating has become like and dislike on youtube).

Indeed, the semantic difference between like and agree may be important to some people. However, a lot of EVE's player base can see the rating system for what it is,and not take your rating as like=love.

"Like" just has become the jargon for approval or the equivalent of a mathematical +1 in a scoring system. I actually prefer the missing "dislike" button. While perpetually gaming the like button via alts is possible, adding a dislike button will not even cancel out a fraudulent number of positive ratings unless fraudulent methods of providing negative ratings is also used.
Abigail Sagan
Skeleton Liberation Front
#8 - 2012-11-22 11:47:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Abigail Sagan
I am not sure if I understood you correctly Commander Ted. You however seem to be speaking about "Dislike" option, when the suggestion above does not promote having "Dislike" button - personally I am opposed to "Dislike" button. The main proposal above is to have "Agree" button in addition to the "Like" button. "Disagree" button is optional and it would (imo) be less prone to suffer to lemming-"Dislike"-mania you describe. I agree with you that some people would spam "Dislike" button even for fun or in situation when they are not sure what the post is talking about.

Now, as an additional suggestion, maybe there could also be counters for "Times agreed by" and (optional) "Times disagreed by" for the times he has given "Agree" or "Disagree" verdict to a post. These would be counted for each person separately and could be shown under "Likes received" in the left side under the Avatar icon. That/those counters would be in addition to "Times agreed with" and (optional) "Times disagreed with" counters. All these counters however are just a "nice features" unlike the "Agree" button which I think would be important feature to have here in the forums.

Edit: Added "it" to one sentence to clarify it.
Abigail Sagan
Skeleton Liberation Front
#9 - 2012-11-22 15:03:22 UTC
Hitego Luna wrote:
In the past, complex rating systems on youtube and other sites have been transformed into simple ratings systems (star rating has become like and dislike on youtube).

Indeed, the semantic difference between like and agree may be important to some people. However, a lot of EVE's player base can see the rating system for what it is,and not take your rating as like=love.

"Like" just has become the jargon for approval or the equivalent of a mathematical +1 in a scoring system. I actually prefer the missing "dislike" button. While perpetually gaming the like button via alts is possible, adding a dislike button will not even cancel out a fraudulent number of positive ratings unless fraudulent methods of providing negative ratings is also used.


If it is like you say, CCP could do the change even more easily. They just would need to change the Like word to Agree in two places and it would be done. However, some people do you the "Like" button for things they "Like", not "Agree with" and those people might not Agree with the post. Thus I think it would be more informative (and also better) if you could have both Likes and Agrees for posts.

And again I point out that this thread is not about adding a "Dislike" button but adding an "Agree" button to our Forums.