These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

New player - I don't know what I want to do!

Author
Corrvan Astartes
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-11-12 02:45:48 UTC
Hi guys, I've just started playing, chose Caldari because I was looking at a few ships, and theirs looked the coolest to me. (Yeah, I'm that shallow!) however, while missiles and long range are cool, in most games I tend to play a "tank" or something, because I love to get in their faces and smack them about while laughing as they try and kill me and can't. Of course, that won't really translate too well here, but I'm really not sure what I want to do in this game.

Now that I've started playing, I've heard/read/seen in the market that Gallente ships seem to be good at close range (thorax?), and drones sound pretty cool (look ma I'm a battlestar pew pew!), however they don't look as cool as Caldari ships imo! But, does close range really work in this game? People seem obsessed with extending the range on everything as far as they can.

Was looking at carriers as a final goal (as stated above, I can think of nothing cooler than being a battlestar in a game), but then interceptors and stealth bombers sound awesome as well.
In fact, everything in this game sounds damned awesome, and every time I look at something new I confuse myself about what I want to do more.

Obviously, combat focus is for me. I played a bounty hunter in SWG, catching the bad guys was awesome, and I noticed that bounty hunting is coming in this soon..?
Any advice would be fantastic, I was even looking at minmatar ships after I saw that "hurricane" ship, and those artillery guns sound damn sweet.

Thanks guys.
Theangryhobo
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2012-11-12 03:02:23 UTC
If you love close range, you should get into bumping miners. Closest range possible.

www.minerbumping.com for details.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-11-12 03:09:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Surfin's PlunderBunny
Minmatar is the face slapping race of ships

Also the most skill intensive, I mean we have armor tanked ships, shield tanked ships, speed tanked ships, no tanked ships....

Turrets, missiles, drones, tetanus...

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Galaxy Pig
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#4 - 2012-11-12 03:12:51 UTC
Yup, I agree. Highsec Law Officer is a fine profession, easy to get into and more lucrative than any other starter profession. And best of all it's emergent! No Dev programmed the New Order.
If you're looking for some training and advice in PVP, look up Red vs Blue and EVE University. :)

Highsec is owned by players now. Systems 0.5-1.0 are New Order Territory. All miners and other residents of Highsec must obey The Code. Mining without a permit is dangerous and harmful to the EVE community. See www.MinerBumping.com

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-11-12 03:19:07 UTC
Galaxy Pig wrote:
Yup, I agree. Highsec Law Officer is a fine profession, easy to get into and more lucrative than any other starter profession. And best of all it's emergent! No Dev programmed the New Order.
If you're looking for some training and advice in PVP, look up Red vs Blue and EVE University. :)

Eve Uni is the only useful one

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Corrvan Astartes
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-11-12 03:32:58 UTC
Yeah, I already have eve uni bookmarked, how to do things in game is fine, it's more, I've confused myself with a wealth of awesome options and can't choose one.
Those miner bumper guys do sound hilariously fun though! - But not sure if I should be getting into PVP yet? or is eve pretty much start -> pvp?
Galaxy Pig
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#7 - 2012-11-12 03:38:15 UTC
Yea, I hear both EVE Uni and RvB are very noob friendly.

Highsec is owned by players now. Systems 0.5-1.0 are New Order Territory. All miners and other residents of Highsec must obey The Code. Mining without a permit is dangerous and harmful to the EVE community. See www.MinerBumping.com

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-11-12 03:54:50 UTC
Galaxy Pig wrote:

RvB is fun but it won't teach anything about PvP. Half the fun of PvP is the inevitable mismatch of forces and RvB effectively kills that part

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#9 - 2012-11-12 04:14:10 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
Galaxy Pig wrote:

RvB is fun but it won't teach anything about PvP. Half the fun of PvP is the inevitable mismatch of forces and RvB effectively kills that part

Yeah, and E-uni's giant dryly-organized blobs with no real personal thought required really teach so much more.

RvB and E-Uni have their good points, but they've also got pitfalls. Personally I'd recommend smaller corps which are not explicitly made for newbies, but are newbie-friendly (which means they have regular operations, but have vets who don't mind showing newbies the ropes).

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-11-12 04:16:57 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Galaxy Pig wrote:

Yeah, and E-uni's giant dryly-organized blobs with no real personal thought required really teach so much more.

RvB and E-Uni have their good points, but they've also got pitfalls. Personally I'd recommend smaller corps which are not explicitly made for newbies, but are newbie-friendly (which means they have regular operations, but have vets who don't mind showing newbies the ropes).

Blobs teach you Eve... Eve is now blobs.

Get on board or I'll have sexual liaisons with your eye sockets

Esruc 'Sadim
Lazaretto
#11 - 2012-11-12 05:01:47 UTC
Do one of these things

Gallente ships do both in your face brawling with blasters and long range sniping with railguns.

Tank, damage, "magic", healing all happens on the same ship in Eve. Some ships do some of it better than others and although they each have their role some are loosely defined and flexible. Btw, eveuni is not just a wiki its an actual corp that hold regular classes on everything in the game. They may not be the kind of solo/small pirate/predatorial kind of pvper's that most folks like but they teach other stuff too and help out with free skill books and ships. They also are a recruitment center for a lot of alliances. That said, I also suggest finding a small-medium size corp with guys in your time zone. It is much more fun.

Welcome to Eve. Fly reckless

Insert something witty and clever here

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#12 - 2012-11-12 05:41:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
If you like drones and Caldari ships, you might want to look at the Rattlesnake battleship for PvE. It is from the Gurista pirates, so It is part Caldari and part Gallente.

Similarly there is a Gurista cruiser version called the Gila, which oddly enough can carry the exact same drone payload as it's bigger sibling the Rattlesnake.

This path would also get you into Gallente ships, and as Caldari and Gallente also use hybrid turrets, the turret skills are doubly useful. The primary difference would be that Gallente armor tank, but that really doesn't take very long to train.

Gallente are primarily known for their close range face-melting blaster damage, which is largely the exact opposite of Caldari nuke-it-from-orbit long range paradigm.
Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#13 - 2012-11-12 06:08:00 UTC
Corrvan Astartes wrote:
Hi guys, I've just started playing, chose Caldari because I was looking at a few ships, and theirs looked the coolest to me. (Yeah, I'm that shallow!)

The only thing EVE Online is about is having fun. If you have more fun flying around in a cool-looking ship, then do fly around in a cool-looking ship.

As for Caldari close-combat ships, you could try looking into either Blaster-based ships (I think some Caldari hulls get a bonus to both railgüns and blasters, but I don't know a lot about güns), or you could look into the short-range type of missile systems: Rockets, Heavy Assault Missiles (HAM) and Torpedoes. Either way, you should shield tank, but that's not too difficult.
Tao Dolcino
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-11-12 06:51:54 UTC
About your taste for more "melee" playstyle, i see two solutions :
1) You can use the Caldari ships which are made for that (the ones which have bonuses to hybrid turrets or short range missiles such as rockets...)
2) You cross-train to another race. It's really not a problem.
Yuna Talie-Kuo
Laborantem Societatis
#15 - 2012-11-12 08:42:37 UTC
Salpad wrote:
Corrvan Astartes wrote:
Hi guys, I've just started playing, chose Caldari because I was looking at a few ships, and theirs looked the coolest to me. (Yeah, I'm that shallow!)

The only thing EVE Online is about is having fun. If you have more fun flying around in a cool-looking ship, then do fly around in a cool-looking ship.

As for Caldari close-combat ships, you could try looking into either Blaster-based ships (I think some Caldari hulls get a bonus to both railgüns and blasters, but I don't know a lot about güns), or you could look into the short-range type of missile systems: Rockets, Heavy Assault Missiles (HAM) and Torpedoes. Either way, you should shield tank, but that's not too difficult.

Just note: Coolest looking, doesn't always means useful. Keep that in mind.

For Caldari, their specialty is mostly super long range, as most pilots prefer railguns. Gallente is the more 'In your face' version of Caldari, since they prefer blasters.

If you want cool looking, look at a couple pirate faction ships, or navy issue ships, such as the Bhaalgorn (Blood Raiders Faction) or Rattlesnake (Guristas Faction).

Sure, Caldari gets bonuses to hybrid turrets. But in essence, they can't handle the close up damage (and mind you, the in you face damage from Minmatar and Gallente, hurt like a *****! You're looking at 3x the normal damage in blasters than railguns. Passive shield tanks can't withstand it.

YTK

I don't always do shit. But when I do, it's usually worth doing.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#16 - 2012-11-12 10:05:56 UTC
Corrvan Astartes wrote:
Hi guys, I've just started playing, chose Caldari because I was looking at a few ships, and theirs looked the coolest to me. (Yeah, I'm that shallow!) however, while missiles and long range are cool, in most games I tend to play a "tank" or something, because I love to get in their faces and smack them about while laughing as they try and kill me and can't. Of course, that won't really translate too well here, but I'm really not sure what I want to do in this game.

Now that I've started playing, I've heard/read/seen in the market that Gallente ships seem to be good at close range (thorax?), and drones sound pretty cool (look ma I'm a battlestar pew pew!), however they don't look as cool as Caldari ships imo! But, does close range really work in this game? People seem obsessed with extending the range on everything as far as they can.

Was looking at carriers as a final goal (as stated above, I can think of nothing cooler than being a battlestar in a game), but then interceptors and stealth bombers sound awesome as well.
In fact, everything in this game sounds damned awesome, and every time I look at something new I confuse myself about what I want to do more.

Obviously, combat focus is for me. I played a bounty hunter in SWG, catching the bad guys was awesome, and I noticed that bounty hunting is coming in this soon..?
Any advice would be fantastic, I was even looking at minmatar ships after I saw that "hurricane" ship, and those artillery guns sound damn sweet.

Thanks guys.

From what you're saying, I'd point you towards Amarr ships.

They're definitely tanky and have excellent damage projection.

Amarr are a very compatible dual-spec with Caldari IMO, and this will be even truer after Dec 4th. Training both races will give you access to just about every role in the game except extended range tackle. The Archon and Chimera are also generally reckoned to be the best armour and shield carrier repsectively.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#17 - 2012-11-12 10:16:32 UTC
Corrvan Astartes wrote:

Thanks guys.

As to OP:

First of all, if you really like the get up close and melt your face off type of gameplay, I really doubt you will like the carrier part of the game as they are essentially more a support type of ship over a fully offensive type of ship.

But on the close range face melting, each line of weapons has a short vs long range weapon system:

Hybrids:
Long range = Railguns, mostly part of the Caldari gun ship line.
Short range = Blasters, mostly part of the Gallente gun ship line.

Projectiles:
Long range = artillery, mostly Minmatar rust buckets.
Short range = autocannons, again mostly minmatar

Lasers:
Long range = beam lasers, mostly Amarr that uses them
Short range = pulse lasers, again Amarr ships here

Missiles:
**Each size of missiles has a close vs long range type**
Long range = light missiles, heavy missiles, cruise missiles (almost primairly used on Caldari missile boat line)
Short range = rockets, heavy assault missiles, torpedoes (almost primairly used on Caldari missile boats).

Only wanted to add, these are all the global ideas. Nothing will restrict you from fitting projectile guns on an Amarr ship. The only limitation is the amount of high-slots and the hardpoint system of the hull you are trying to fit.

As for responses:

Training corporation:

Yes EVE-Uni is a good training corporation for 95% of what EVE has to offer but in my opinion PvP is not really among that. Cause during a war you will be very limited on what you are allowed to do, when to do that and where to do it. The PvP roams they do are mainly just in the light of let's try to blob 4 man fleets with over 50 man and then see if we can win.

RvB, they are great for the casual PvP needs. You can use them if you just want to undock, do some fighting, dock back up and log off. They are however NOT a specific training corporation, they are open to anybody but don't provide any organized training.

I would mostly agree with Petrus, get into a new player friendly corporation that has the patience and ability to teach new players. They aren't as massive which means that there is more 1-on-1 contact between the new player and it's mentor and they are usually also a bit less heavy on paperwork etc.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Keno Skir
#18 - 2012-11-12 13:07:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Keno Skir
Minmatar is the face slapping race of ships

Also the most skill intensive, I mean we have armor tanked ships, shield tanked ships, speed tanked ships, no tanked ships....

Turrets, missiles, drones, tetanus...

Disagree "slightly" here. I started Minmatar and switched to Amarr later down the line. I found Amarr to be the most skill intensive due to the cap consumption of lasers. I had to be a lot cleverer with my fits flying Amarr than i did as Winmatar.

Personal oppinion but i also find Amarr more fun to fly.
Archdaimon
Merchants of the Golden Goose
#19 - 2012-11-12 16:22:53 UTC
Best advice is to find a corporation that is newb friendly but has vets showing the do's and don't's

Recruitment forum is one way.

Wormholes have the best accoustics. It's known. - Sing it for me -

Corrvan Astartes
State War Academy
Caldari State
#20 - 2012-11-13 01:36:41 UTC
Thanks for all the responses guys, I've already started training gallenete frigate, and will look for a noob friendly corp when I have time to play again. Not much time ATM due uni exams. Thanks =)
12Next page