These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How do you know what damage type you are being attacked with?

First post
Author
Linus Ohmiras
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-11-11 17:00:28 UTC
Missiles especially, no clue there.
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#2 - 2012-11-11 17:41:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Little Dragon Khamez
incoming missile damage will be stated in your tactical display as (name of missile, damage readout). E.g Scourge missile hits you for x damage.

Scourge apply kinetic damage, Inferno apply Thermal Damage, Nova Explosive Damage and Mjolnir do em damage

In pvp however it's usually too late to worry about incoming damage types as you wont have time to adjust for them

the best thing you can do is study your enemy find out what he is using and adjust for it prior to the actual combat.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Keno Skir
#3 - 2012-11-11 18:15:31 UTC
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
In pvp however it's usually too late to worry about incoming damage types as you wont have time to adjust for them

Don't agree with this. Incoming damage is one of the first things i check when entering combat. Shutting off a hardener for a damage type you aren't recieving can save you a lot of cap in the long run.

OP :

Missiles do any of the 4 damage types so you're gonna have to learn the names.

Hybrid turrets do kinetic and therm

Lasers do EM and therm

Minmatar do explosive, kinetic and EM with a little bit of therm thrown in there
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#4 - 2012-11-11 19:30:29 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD LackOfFaith
Linus Ohmiras wrote:
How do you know what damage type you are being attacked with?
Missiles especially, no clue there.

For missiles, it will show "[Missile] hits you for [x] damage", where the "Missile" part will contain one of the following words indicating damage types:

• Mjolnir - EM
  • Inferno - Thermal
  • Scourge - Kinetic
  • Nova - Explosive

A good rule of thumb, though, is that if it's a Caldari ship, it will usually be kinetic. If it's not, it will most likely not be kinetic (because kinetic missiles are sort of expensive, and well-resisted against).
You can also tell by the color of the effect (blue sparks=EM, orange flames=Thermal, gray/blue shockwaves=Kinetic, yellow explosions/shrapnel/smoke=Explosive)

For lasers, assume some split between EM and Thermal damage. You can guess at the split from the color of the lasers:

• White: 60% EM, 40% thermal (multifrequency crystal)
  • Colored: Less and less thermal based on where on the crystal spectrum it is. That is: Xray (green), Gamma (blue), Ultraviolet (purple), standard (yellow), Infrared (orange), Microwave (different yellow), Radio (red). Apologies if the colors aren't 100% accurate, I'm slightly colorblind.
  • Purple pulse lasers: This is Scorch, which has about the range of Standard, but almost the damage of Multifrequency. 85% EM, 15% Thermal.
  • Other T2 lasers have similar damage splits to the color of their own T1.

For hybrids (blasters/rails), it's a split between Thermal and Kinetic depending on the range of the ammo used, with longer range ammo doing slightly more kinetic than thermal, while shorter range ammo does slightly more thermal than kinetic. The split hovers around 60/40 to 40/60.

For projectiles (autos/arty):

• Short range ammo will deal either mostly EM, mostly Thermal, or mostly Explosive, with some residual minimal damage of other types.
  • Mid range ammo will deal either mostly Kinetic, or mostly Explosive.
  • Long range ammo will deal either mostly EM, mostly Kinetic, or mostly Explosive.
  • Caveat: if someone is kiting you with autocannons at abnormally high ranges, it is definitely mostly Explosive (Barrage ammo).
  • It is safest to assume that your enemy chose the right ammo to hit you in your weak spot. Also, note that 90% of the time, projectile weapons will be loaded with short range ammo (unless they have Barrage).

Drones only deal one damage type at a time, and depends on their race. Drone ships are not limited in drone choice, so watch out for all types:

• EM (Amarr): Acolyte, Infiltrator, Praetor. (these are actually fairly uncommon)
  • Thermal (Gallente): Hobgoblin, Hammerhead, Ogre.
  • Kinetic (Caldari): Hornet, Vespa, Wasp. (note that if these have an "EC-" suffix, they are jamming drones, not damage drones)
  • Explosive (Minmatar): Warrior, Valkyrie, Berserker.

For smartbombs or bombs, you can tell by the colors (as described with missiles).

Is there a weapon type I missed?

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Galaxy Pig
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#5 - 2012-11-11 19:36:54 UTC
Damage types :) there ya go bud.

Highsec is owned by players now. Systems 0.5-1.0 are New Order Territory. All miners and other residents of Highsec must obey The Code. Mining without a permit is dangerous and harmful to the EVE community. See www.MinerBumping.com

ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#6 - 2012-11-11 19:39:27 UTC
Galaxy Pig wrote:
Damage types :) there ya go bud.

Right, or use that for PvE. Useful resource.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#7 - 2012-11-11 19:47:23 UTC
Keno Skir wrote:
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:

Don't agree with this. Incoming damage is one of the first things i check when entering combat. Shutting off a hardener for a damage type you aren't recieving can save you a lot of cap in the long run.

OP :

Missiles do any of the 4 damage types so you're gonna have to learn the names.

Hybrid turrets do kinetic and therm

Lasers do EM and therm

Minmatar do explosive, kinetic and EM with a little bit of therm thrown in there

When I posted that one I was specifically thinking of new players pvp in a frig or other weak ship which is typical of new players. The OP suggested that the poster was new. I should have made that plain in my reply. Anyhow my experience of pvp when new is that you will not have time to worry about incoming damage types or playing with hardeners, you may be able to do this in a cruiser or a bc as the increased buffer they have and superior resists will give you more time to think. It's just my opinion and if others do it differently then that's fair enough.

Eve is a wonderful game that allows you the flexibility to formulate your own way of doing things. If other people give you advice that works then go for it, if not keep trying until you work out what's best for you.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Keno Skir
#8 - 2012-11-12 13:04:55 UTC
Then how did you ever work out if someone was shooting yoru resist hole?
Solomar Espersei
Quality Assurance
Brotherhood of Spacers
#9 - 2012-11-13 01:55:45 UTC
Not sure if overlooked this in the posts above, but it's not a bad idea to have your log open at all times and nested with one of your other panels (I have mine nested with People and Places, Assets, and Cargo). That way, you can see what sorts weapons have been hitting you if for some reason the Combat Notice is simply flashing too quickly for you to see.

Quality Assurance Recruiting intrepid explorers and BlOps/Cov Ops combat enthusiasts