These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What item to counter jamming?

First post
Author
Lord Rixus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-11-11 03:05:46 UTC
Im doing level 3 missions in my drake and keep getting jammed... so annoying! What item should I take to counter this?
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#2 - 2012-11-11 03:35:00 UTC
There are two types of modules you can use to increase your ship's sensor strength: ECCM (mid slot, active modules) and Sensor Backup Arrays (low slot, passive modules). ECCM does a better job, but it also consumes capacitor.

Neither of these will give you 100% immunity to jams, though. You may want to read up on how electronic warfare works (or another guide; the internet is your friend). Understanding ECM is vital to PvE against Guristas/Caldari, and to PvP.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-11-11 04:00:43 UTC
According to the Clear Skies series, sensor boosters break all jams Straight

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Lord Rixus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-11-11 06:16:27 UTC
So which version do I fit? Do I match my ships sensor type?
ISD LackOfFaith
#5 - 2012-11-11 06:16:59 UTC
Lord Rixus wrote:

Correct. In the case of Caldari, I believe it's Gravimetric.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Utsen Dari
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-11-11 16:30:29 UTC
You can also bring drones set on aggressive, or load F.O.F. missiles, both of which can continue to attack hostiles on their own while you are jammed. They may attack the *wrong* hostiles though, triggering more waves of enemies; the drone / FOF AI is not very smart.
Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#7 - 2012-11-12 00:53:10 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
Lord Rixus wrote:

Correct. In the case of Caldari, I believe it's Gravimetric.

It is.

CCP hasn't been forthcoming about whether sensor strength actually affects the ECM jam chance of rats (only the ECM jam chance in PVP), but some years ago a player did a lot of testing and determined that fitting ECCM or Sensor Backup Array did reduce the occurence of ECM jamming.

CCP has also recently talked about adding a skill for each sensor type, to increase sensor strength by 5% per level. That's still in the planning stage, but I've wished for that for many, many years, and as soon as those skillz come out, I'll train the Gravimetric one to at least four.
ISD LackOfFaith
#8 - 2012-11-12 01:17:24 UTC
Salpad wrote:

CCP hasn't been forthcoming about whether sensor strength actually affects the ECM jam chance of rats (only the ECM jam chance in PVP), but some years ago a player did a lot of testing and determined that fitting ECCM or Sensor Backup Array did reduce the occurence of ECM jamming.

I can confirm this. I have used ECCM against the Serpentis rats in the Angel Epic Arc. I can also confirm that the wrong type of ECCM doesn't work (Radar did nothing for my Claw).

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Kanta Kansene
Agentes in rebus
#9 - 2012-11-12 02:14:34 UTC
The things I did in my drake to counter those nasty level 3 rats (State Tendai, right?) were to load auto targeting missiles and close in on the offending rat. If I remember correctly, the auto targetting missiles will go for whatever the closest rat is, although those Tendai rats have a decent regen, and if you haven't got many points in auto targeting missiles, you'll be there a while. What I ended up doing in my drake instead of swapping to auto targeters, since that took forever, was just wait it out. Since ECM works on a probability, there will eventually be a time when both rats fail to jam you. Usually took me between 4 and 8 cycles to get time to lock and pop off a few heavies before getting jammed again.

Once you get one of them down, the other one will go down a little quicker, since you've cut the number of jamming attempts in half. Your drake has enough tank to just regen all the incoming dps from the rest of the room (or at least mine did, I'm not talking any expensive mods, just t2 and decent skills).
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#10 - 2012-11-12 08:18:56 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
There are two types of modules you can use to increase your ship's sensor strength: ECCM (mid slot, active modules) and Sensor Backup Arrays (low slot, passive modules). ECCM does a better job, but it also consumes capacitor.

You can also use the reliable "Bring A Friend" method, and have the friend use Remote ECCM on you (and you do the same for your friend), have your friend fly a boosting ship (Battlecruiser, Command Ship, T3 with Warfare subsystem), or use the appropriate implants.

Methods of increasing sensor strength are being discussed in this thread over here.