These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Loot Log: Small Functionality Update Request

Author
Aidan Patrick
Aldebaran Foundation
#1 - 2011-10-02 06:08:40 UTC
So, as many people who perform group mining ops frequently know; splitting up ore profits at the end of the op can be... quite a hassle to say the least. Well; while speaking to a new contact of mine we were discussing a way to make the job of splitting everything up post-op evenly easier on the foreman.

We turned to the loot log. It lets us know how much ore was mined easily. However; I quickly identified a downfall... if for any reason a miner needs to pull the ore back into their hold from a jetcan or (ideally) an Orca... it creates an erroneous entry in the loot log, adding onto the tally for that miner. Obiously that is not good.

So here is my suggestion; in the loot log (and subsequently the exported file) instead of showing "looted" for every single item you change that word based on how the 'loot' was obtained.

Basically.....:
If it was mined
  • "Aidan Patrick mined 30,000 item(s) of Veldspar"

If it was salvaged
  • "Aidan Patrick salvaged 1 item(s) of Melted Capacitor"

If it was hacked
  • "Aidan Patrick hacked 3 item(s) of SomethingYouGetFromHacking"

If it was picked up from a can/cargo
  • "Aidan Patrick looted 22 item(s) of Exotic Dancers"

Then, in the exported log file you just add one more column: "Source" and list the single word that dictates how that loot was obtained, as mentioned above.

The Result?
It allows mining ops without tools to properly split loot and easily track who mined what and get those resources to the person who mined them. For those WITH external tools; they can export the log and import it into the tool for quick, easy parsing without having to fish through what entries are right and wrong.

Ideas and thoughts please. I'd like to see this simple change implimented!

It wont let me have an empty signature...

HARD STEEL
Caldari Capital Construction Company
#2 - 2011-10-02 17:33:50 UTC  |  Edited by: HARD STEEL
I +1 this, being able to export JUST mining transactions solves my issues here https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=122859#post122859

I want to be able to pull (or distinguish) the data of a mining op, fleet loot is the way to do it apparently!

ONLY THE HARD.  ONLY THE STRONG.

Aidan Patrick
Aldebaran Foundation
#3 - 2011-10-03 20:08:21 UTC
Thought I'd give this a bump. Would like to see some additional feedback on it :)

It wont let me have an empty signature...

Mirak Nijoba
Gamers Corner
#4 - 2011-10-03 20:19:56 UTC
I like this idea... for both of you guys.

I feel that all logs should have the ability to be sorted through and allow you to copy the contents.

If they had an API Export to this that would be awesome. xD

I think the way that they could do it is by having you manually Export the API information to the Eve Server and then next pickup time for the API it will transmit it and then when the program/web function that you have picks up the EVE API you'll get the raw data of the audit logs...
Aidan Patrick
Aldebaran Foundation
#5 - 2011-10-03 21:31:26 UTC
While API export functionality would be nice; I'd really just like to see the bare minimum of the extra column added to the data just so we can see the feature out sooner.

Additionally; on the front of exporting fleet loot logs via API, I'm not so sure how that would work since the can be easily reset, and dissapear from existence the second the fleet is disbanded. Something tells me that in order to enable this data for API export, they would have to make every loot log saved semi-permanently.

It wont let me have an empty signature...

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#6 - 2011-10-03 22:01:48 UTC
+1 This idea gets my full approval.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Fenris Nihilus
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2011-10-03 22:13:23 UTC
Wow, I posted about this a while ago and nobody gave a crap suddenly you have a similar post and everybody raves about it. "facepalm"

Anyway ya I found this to be a problem, I had a solution as well in my post and noticed some flaws in the behavior of logging.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=95122#post95122
Aidan Patrick
Aldebaran Foundation
#8 - 2011-10-03 23:39:11 UTC
Fenris Nihilus wrote:
Wow, I posted about this a while ago and nobody gave a crap suddenly you have a similar post and everybody raves about it. "facepalm"

Anyway ya I found this to be a problem, I had a solution as well in my post and noticed some flaws in the behavior of logging.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=95122#post95122


I popped over and took a gander at your thread. Kinda similar issues but still slightly different. Yours focuses more on resolving bugs with the loot log (which I whole-heartedly agree need to be resolved). Mine focuses more on the addition of show what act produced the entry in general.

I do agree though, and would like to see these things from your thread implimented:

  • No more self looting showing up in the loot log.
  • No more adding items to the same time stamp. (IE mine for 3 hours and it shows one huge number of the ore)
  • Naming where the item was obtained (As you said, orca hold, jetcan, wreck.. etc)

I'm still more focused on getting the column I proposed in my OP listed; but those ideas that you have in your thread would also be nice.

It wont let me have an empty signature...

Fenris Nihilus
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2011-10-04 00:16:32 UTC
If they would just fix the loot logging issue, you can properly export the log into an excel sheet and work with the data or even better upload it to miningbuddy and have it sort your ops progress for you. A feature that a friend of mine was working on until we discovered the highly inaccurate and utterly useless otherwise loot log.
Aidan Patrick
Aldebaran Foundation
#10 - 2011-10-04 00:24:57 UTC
Fenris Nihilus wrote:
If they would just fix the loot logging issue, you can properly export the log into an excel sheet and work with the data or even better upload it to miningbuddy and have it sort your ops progress for you. A feature that a friend of mine was working on until we discovered the highly inaccurate and utterly useless otherwise loot log.


Even with out the bug fixes you mentioned, adding the source field (IE mined, salvaged, hacked, etc) would fix this completely by itself. Especially for mining ops because there wouldn't be a way to generate false entries, because if it was mined it says "Mined".

It wont let me have an empty signature...

Fenris Nihilus
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2011-10-04 00:53:42 UTC
Aidan Patrick wrote:
Fenris Nihilus wrote:
If they would just fix the loot logging issue, you can properly export the log into an excel sheet and work with the data or even better upload it to miningbuddy and have it sort your ops progress for you. A feature that a friend of mine was working on until we discovered the highly inaccurate and utterly useless otherwise loot log.


Even with out the bug fixes you mentioned, adding the source field (IE mined, salvaged, hacked, etc) would fix this completely by itself. Especially for mining ops because there wouldn't be a way to generate false entries, because if it was mined it says "Mined".


Ya I don't understand why they can't just do it in the same format as Audit Logging. Simple.
Aidan Patrick
Aldebaran Foundation
#12 - 2011-10-05 00:32:51 UTC
Bump. I'd like to see some more feedback/likes on this relatively simple fix. This could make a lot of peoples lives easier. I don't just mean miners either. This change could make it easier to count mission loot and salvage for group ops too.

It wont let me have an empty signature...

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#13 - 2011-10-05 01:18:36 UTC
what more feedback can you ask for other than its awsome and needs to be implimented.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Aidan Patrick
Aldebaran Foundation
#14 - 2011-10-05 01:36:18 UTC
Nova Fox wrote:
what more feedback can you ask for other than its awsome and needs to be implimented.


Couldn't ask for anything better than that really lol.

I mean really; I guess what I'm looking for is enough noise to know CCP heard the idea. lol

It wont let me have an empty signature...

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#15 - 2011-10-05 01:40:22 UTC
well I would probably get a CSM member to take a look at this email one that has a pve platform and see what he thinks before you take it there.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Aidan Patrick
Aldebaran Foundation
#16 - 2011-10-06 13:20:24 UTC
Another bump to see if I can get some non-duplicate responses on it for any feedback on the idea before I push it to town hall. Feedback will be appreciated!

It wont let me have an empty signature...

HARD STEEL
Caldari Capital Construction Company
#17 - 2011-10-10 18:22:57 UTC
Mirak Nijoba wrote:
I like this idea... for both of you guys.

I feel that all logs should have the ability to be sorted through and allow you to copy the contents.

If they had an API Export to this that would be awesome. xD

I think the way that they could do it is by having you manually Export the API information to the Eve Server and then next pickup time for the API it will transmit it and then when the program/web function that you have picks up the EVE API you'll get the raw data of the audit logs...


This being in the web API would be good, but the client .exe should have a "API" as well seeing as there is a cache on the web API

Maybe having a client API they could let us hook into events to make our own helper tools..

ONLY THE HARD.  ONLY THE STRONG.