These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE Fiction Contest - Extreme graphics card, EON subscriptions & 26 bil isk in prizes!

First post
Author
CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#121 - 2012-12-03 16:17:25 UTC
Let me just say that, with 101 stories to read, I now hate you all.

Nah, just kidding. But holy crap, that's a lot to read.

Quote:
As far as determining an overall winner, how far does adhering to Eve Lore and Cannon go?

As far as my personal judging goes, if it's in the 8000 Suns category, I dock points if it violates EVE lore or canon.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

Arrs Grazznic
Poena Executive Solutions
#122 - 2012-12-03 16:38:10 UTC
CCP Eterne wrote:
Let me just say that, with 101 stories to read, I now hate you all.

I wish you all the best -- it'll be a thankless task trying to pick winners as no matter which you choose someone will disagree and be unhappy!

Telegram Sam
Crom's Angels
#123 - 2012-12-03 18:28:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
John Frek wrote:
From the stories that I've had the privilege of reading, they all have something worth mentioning.

I have a question about the judging though:

As far as determining an overall winner, how far does adhering to Eve Lore and Cannon go?

I've read some entries that merely toss the name of an NPC into their story and call it good so that they can be considered for the grand prize, then I've seen others that take a significant event of EVE's Lore and Cannon history and bring it alive with their submission. While still good stories, it's evident that some of the them don't have any real connection to any of the rich content we have in such abundance.

Thank you for everyone involved, the amount of fiction received should give anyone a good run for their money. I wish everyone the best of luck.

The rules for the 8,000 Suns category follow Zapatero's guidelines for EON submissions. Basically, the story should fit into the New Eden world, as laid out by the canon. The rules don't say that points will be added for expert use of the canon.

But, that said... If incorporating content from the lore makes the story "better" (more interesting, intriguing, thought provoking, etc.), then that will naturally count in the judging. In other words, a story might be based on a theme or event from the lore. That theme or event is already very interesting. By taking advantage of that already-interesting content and building on it, the story might end up with more richness and impact than it would have otherwise. So though points aren't specifically added for incorporating the lore, taking advantage of the lore could make the story a stronger entry. Or not-- it depends on the story.

Personally the judging criteria I'll be using is whether an entry is a "good story, with good ideas, told well." (Not necessarily told with perfect English grammar, but told well).
Telegram Sam
Crom's Angels
#124 - 2012-12-06 15:53:23 UTC
Enjoying some good reads! A pretty big variety of stuff, and all kinds of approaches to telling a tale in 5000 words or less.
Marcus Talonius
Project Valhalla.
The Initiative.
#125 - 2012-12-09 03:28:45 UTC
Telegram Sam wrote:
John Frek wrote:
From the stories that I've had the privilege of reading, they all have something worth mentioning.

I've read some entries that merely toss the name of an NPC into their story and call it good so that they can be considered for the grand prize, then I've seen others that take a significant event of EVE's Lore and Cannon history and bring it alive with their submission. While still good stories, it's evident that some of the them don't have any real connection to any of the rich content we have in such abundance.

Thank you for everyone involved, the amount of fiction received should give anyone a good run for their money. I wish everyone the best of luck.

The rules for the 8,000 Suns category follow Zapatero's guidelines for EON submissions. Basically, the story should fit into the New Eden world, as laid out by the canon. The rules don't say that points will be added for expert use of the canon.

But, that said... If incorporating content from the lore makes the story "better" (more interesting, intriguing, thought provoking, etc.), then that will naturally count in the judging. In other words, a story might be based on a theme or event from the lore. That theme or event is already very interesting. By taking advantage of that already-interesting content and building on it, the story might end up with more richness and impact than it would have otherwise. So though points aren't specifically added for incorporating the lore, taking advantage of the lore could make the story a stronger entry. Or not-- it depends on the story.

Personally the judging criteria I'll be using is whether an entry is a "good story, with good ideas, told well." (Not necessarily told with perfect English grammar, but told well).

I think i see what he is getting at. Your givin away a graphix card and other prizes for adhering to the eve cannon because it is more so difficult to writer for, but some of these entries look like they are wrote for a "day in the life" then changing their in game characters name to an NPCs name so that they could be in the running for that "harder" prize. But hey, if that's all it takes to make your story within the eve lore, go for it I say :)
Eugen Tenpenny
Tenpenny Inc
#126 - 2012-12-15 10:43:08 UTC
Hi guys, any news on when the results will be announced?
Telegram Sam
Crom's Angels
#127 - 2012-12-16 21:38:57 UTC
We're aiming for having everything wrapped up before by the Christmas break. That's assuming that no no unexpected time demands come up for any of the judges.
John Frek
Perkone
Caldari State
#128 - 2012-12-16 21:45:47 UTC
I'd be lying if I said I didn't check this page on a daily basis for updates! Lol

Telegram Sam
Crom's Angels
#129 - 2012-12-16 21:51:24 UTC
John Frek wrote:
I'd be lying if I said I didn't check this page on a daily basis for updates! Lol

Big smile We're going as fast as we can! Just be glad we're all managing to read an average of 3-4 stories per day, and not just one. If one per day, results would be announced in mid-March. Smile
Telegram Sam
Crom's Angels
#130 - 2012-12-16 22:58:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Marcus Talonius wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
John Frek wrote:

I think i see what he is getting at. Your givin away a graphix card and other prizes for adhering to the eve cannon because it is more so difficult to writer for, but some of these entries look like they are wrote for a "day in the life" then changing their in game characters name to an NPCs name so that they could be in the running for that "harder" prize. But hey, if that's all it takes to make your story within the eve lore, go for it I say :)

In the end, I suppose it's kind of a PVP-like decision: How will your story with minimal lore content fare in battle against all the others in the lore-based category? That may or may not take advantage of good ideas from the canon? Or should you play it more conservatively, and enter your story in the A Day in the Life category? To win, your story has to be the best in the category, however that's achieved.

But again, just to clarify to everyone: The rules of the 8,000 Suns category didn't say that a story has to be lore-intensive to win. They just follow Zapatero's guidelines for EON submissions-- fit into the New Eden world, no egregious violations of the lore, no mentioning player entities. It's more of a "thou shalt not" rule than a "thou shalt" rule.
John Frek
Perkone
Caldari State
#131 - 2012-12-24 09:47:45 UTC
Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!
Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#132 - 2012-12-24 14:11:15 UTC
John Frek wrote:
Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!

Agreed!

Merry Christmas!

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Telegram Sam
Crom's Angels
#133 - 2012-12-24 17:43:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Update on judging:
Santa's helpers are still busy making their list. After that, they'll have to check it twice. We don't have an estimate on when they'll be done. Unfortunately this group of elves doesn't have time dilation powers , so no way to make the day longer and squeeze in more tasks. Smile As always, check back here for updates.

In the meantime-- Merry Christmas all!
Telegram Sam
Crom's Angels
#134 - 2012-12-26 22:10:06 UTC
Quick check in to say that the judgifier processor is still in operation and working on a solution. So far, its estimate for when results will be announced is still '42'. Nothing more definitive than that yet, but just an update to let you know we didn't disappear or pass out for the holidays.
Nyancat Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#135 - 2012-12-27 01:31:35 UTC
26 BILLION ISK? Hundreds of dollars worth of electronic goodness? I wish I could write worth a damn :/
John Frek
Perkone
Caldari State
#136 - 2012-12-27 03:09:15 UTC
Telegram Sam wrote:
So far, its estimate for when results will be announced is still '42'.

You've just answered every question in the known universe sir. Thank you for that.
Telegram Sam
Crom's Angels
#137 - 2012-12-30 00:32:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
While you're waiting for judging results, maybe you'd like to check out your colleagues' work in the Reading Bank. All kinds of stuff there, by writers who were at it long before this contest was even a twinkle in the EVE fiction community's eye. Series with continuity of characters and events, from episode to episode. Longer works and free-er works, made minus any restrictions whatsoever. Check out the ideas and leave some honest comments for your colleagues. Even if you hold their feet to the fire, they'll appreciate that somebody read and dialogued with them.

And if you have something to add to the Reading Bank, just let me know and I'll link it.
Telegram Sam
Crom's Angels
#138 - 2013-01-03 19:21:39 UTC
Check this out: Pod and Planet Fiction Contest Winners Announced
It's done-- Happy New Year!
Galaxy Pig
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#139 - 2013-01-08 04:53:03 UTC
Good show everyone! Congrats to all the winners, some quality sci-fi. :)

Highsec is owned by players now. Systems 0.5-1.0 are New Order Territory. All miners and other residents of Highsec must obey The Code. Mining without a permit is dangerous and harmful to the EVE community. See www.MinerBumping.com