These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE Fiction Contest - Extreme graphics card, EON subscriptions & 26 bil isk in prizes!

First post
Author
Kumq uat
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#61 - 2012-10-26 04:23:31 UTC
Evelyn Meiyi wrote:
J Kunjeh wrote:
Kumq uat wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Kumq uat wrote:
I was wondering if my story series would count. I wrote a series for Eve-Pirate awhile ago, fiction, set in the Eve Universe, but it was silly and definatly not canon. Would this be acceptable to enter?

Sorry, the entry needs to be a new work. It could be another story in your series, though.
By the way, if the new story is non-canon, there's a category for that.

Can't be bothered. I am working on my own science fiction series currently. Don't see why you can't accept a piece of work I did awhile ago.

It's pretty simple. If you win, why would they want to publish and already published piece in EON magazine? Look at it from their perspective...they don't want some other publication/websites sloppy seconds.

It's also much easier to tell if the story is truly an original; with the (relative) anonymity of the EVE Online in particular, and the Web in general, it would be far too easy to lift an already-published work from another website. If that work happened to win a prize, the entrant would have ripped off someone else's work for a prize that he hadn't earned.

Except that post is directly attributed to my character name. But whatever
Evelyn Meiyi
Corvidae Trading and Holding
#62 - 2012-10-26 06:28:17 UTC
Kumq uat wrote:

Except that post is directly attributed to my character name. But whatever

Precisely: the post is attributed to your character name. That doesn't stop someone from taking a story from elsewhere on the Web and posting it as their own work.

Case in point: Many high schools keep a very close eye on certqain commonly-used websites, because dishonest students will often lift poetry, essays or entire term papers wholesale from the Web and hand them in as assignments.

Besides, don't be lazy! Show us your best work, not your past work!

:)
Zev Corvinus
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#63 - 2012-10-26 08:13:35 UTC
Does anyone know what the policy is, on using profanity ? I know a few eve chronicles articles has the occasional swear. Though if its gonna be published in EON, i'm guessing that might be a no no.
Telegram Sam
Crom's Angels
#64 - 2012-10-26 15:08:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Hello, a rules change that may benefit some writers:

In the category for stories about players/in-game events, the word count for stories is now 600-5,000 words. This allows submission of shorter works. (A minimum of 600 words instead of 1,400). Works in this category won't be considered for publication in EON, so there's no reason for them to have fit the minimum word count guidelines.
Doddy
Excidium.
#65 - 2012-10-26 15:14:15 UTC
Zev Corvinus wrote:
Does anyone know what the policy is, on using profanity ? I know a few eve chronicles articles has the occasional swear. Though if its gonna be published in EON, i'm guessing that might be a no no.

Like people in new eden would use the same profanity anyway.
CCP Falcon
#66 - 2012-10-26 17:09:58 UTC
Zev Corvinus wrote:

In terms of profanity, it's been used in moderation in both official EVE Chronicles as well as in EON submissions and Live Events.

It's not an issue, so long as it's used in moderation and is not out of place.

Use of profanity can add a lot of depth to a character if it's used wisely and sparingly, and can also be used to convey a solid feeling of tension.

I don't think it's too much of an issue so long as it's sparingly used and meets the situation well.

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Zev Corvinus
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#67 - 2012-10-26 23:01:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Zev Corvinus
Ok sweet got it, so Tarantino style dialogue is out, no problems.
Epigene
Z3R0 Return Mining Inc.
Illusion of Solitude
#68 - 2012-10-28 23:47:39 UTC
I am looking forward to this, this is a great project.

I wonder if it would be acceptable to submit a new chapter in an ongoing series if - of course - that chapter is self-contained to a point where it can be read, understood and judged on its own merits?

Epi

Telegram Sam
Crom's Angels
#69 - 2012-10-28 23:51:40 UTC
Epigene wrote:
I am looking forward to this, this is a great project.

I wonder if it would be acceptable to submit a new chapter in an ongoing series if - of course - that chapter is self-contained to a point where it can be read, understood and judged on its own merits?

Epi

Sure, it can be part of a series, as long as it's a new work. And self-contained, as you said.
Arydanika
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#70 - 2012-10-29 01:08:46 UTC
Thank you to Telegram Sam for taking the time to visit Voices from the Void podcast and discuss the Pod and Plant Fiction contest. He was a great guest and Smurf and I really enjoyed having him on. It's great to see player created contests like this get so much support from CCP, the prize sponsors and the community at large. I'm looking forward to reading the entries and possibly submitting my own. BTW Jovians abducting 20th century humans is my topic. Totally called it.

Listen to the episode by following this link.

Good luck!

Runner of Voices from the Void podcast, Eve Online Pod Pack & DJ on eve-radio.com Sundays at 1800.  Organizer of the ATX Eve Online Meet. ♥

Mars Theran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#71 - 2012-10-29 06:43:04 UTC
Short story submitted Cool
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#72 - 2012-10-29 12:03:54 UTC
I've had a brief look at some of the stories submitted already. It's looking quite good. Can't wait to really dive into them.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

Nexus Day
Lustrevik Trade and Travel Bureau
#73 - 2012-10-29 16:17:09 UTC
Doddy wrote:
Zev Corvinus wrote:

Like people in new eden would use the same profanity anyway.

Actually they do and NPC's use it in game.
Saul Elsyn
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#74 - 2012-10-29 19:20:14 UTC
Must write again! Damn and to think my November novel project is SF but no EVE...
Hiram Alexander
State Reprisal
#75 - 2012-11-04 23:40:15 UTC
Still not stickied (sp?)...?
CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#76 - 2012-11-04 23:48:48 UTC
There is a sticky on the Fiction forum about this, which we considered to be the more appropriate place to sticky this sort of topic.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

CCP Falcon
#77 - 2012-11-04 23:55:43 UTC
CCP Eterne wrote:
I've had a brief look at some of the stories submitted already. It's looking quite good. Can't wait to really dive into them.

Have to echo this.... There's some pretty awesome stuff being submitted Cool

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#78 - 2012-11-06 21:20:06 UTC
Hey Sam, I noticed that my entry isn't listed here: http://podandplanetentries.blogspot.com/

You did receive it via in-game mail, right?
Telegram Sam
Crom's Angels
#79 - 2012-11-06 21:42:17 UTC
Meryl SinGarda wrote:
Hey Sam, I noticed that my entry isn't listed here: http://podandplanetentries.blogspot.com/

Sorry, I lost electricity for a few days and am behind on confirming and linking the entries. Thanks for checking in, Meryl. At the end of the contest, we'll ask everybody to check and make sure they see their entry on the entries page.
Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#80 - 2012-11-06 21:45:16 UTC
Telegram Sam wrote:
Meryl SinGarda wrote:

Sorry, I lost electricity for a few days and am behind on confirming and linking the entries. Thanks for checking in, Meryl. At the end of the contest, we'll ask everybody to check and make sure they see their entry on the entries page.

Okay, I hope all's well. I feel kind of bad asking now, heh. I assume you were affected by the storm, as was I.