These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Ship names like Taranis/Kitsune/Harbinger, etc

First post
Author
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#1 - 2011-09-30 09:38:01 UTC
First, plural form of the Taranis (is it Tarani or Taranis') please.

Second, is the Kitsune pronounced as though the second syllable sounds like "soon" or is the "e" not silent?

Also, anyone's take on the good old Harbinger and how it would be properly pronounced as well (does the "g" sound like the one in "messenger" or like the "g" in "guardian")?

These are just a few of several ship names that get pronounced one way or the other. How do you prononce/spell the plural form of them?

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

CCP Spitfire
C C P
C C P Alliance
#2 - 2011-09-30 13:02:37 UTC
Sobaan Tali wrote:
First, plural form of the Taranis (is it Tarani or Taranis') please.

Second, is the Kitsune pronounced as though the second syllable sounds like "soon" or is the "e" not silent?

Also, anyone's take on the good old Harbinger and how it would be properly pronounced as well (does the "g" sound like the one in "messenger" or like the "g" in "guardian")?

These are just a few of several ship names that get pronounced one way or the other. How do you prononce/spell the plural form of them?



Here is an article about Kitsune on the Wikipedia (and how it is pronounced in real life at least). I would imagine "Harbinger" is pronounced like "messenger".

Good question about Taranis, I am not sure myself. Smile "Taranii"?

CCP Spitfire | Marketing & Sales Team @ccp_spitfire

CCP Jasonitas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#3 - 2011-09-30 20:28:55 UTC
Don't know much about pronunciations, but I can give you general rules for plurals!

The plural for Taranis would be Taranises. Why? Because it follows standard English rules and makes things so much easier that way.

(Taranis is originally the name of a Celtic god, and might be Romanized, but that's splitting hairs. Also, it's being applied to a spaceship as a voodoo magic spaceship name, so it's not going to kill anyone if we break a grammatical rule in reference to it.)

At least, that's how I'd edit it internally. If I'd been drinking, I'd accept Taranopode, Taranii, Taraniseseses, or Taranes. But I haven't been drinking (yet).
Horatius Caul
Kitzless
#4 - 2011-09-30 20:51:01 UTC
CCP Jasonitas wrote:
Don't know much about pronunciations, but I can give you general rules for plurals!

The plural for Taranis would be Taranises. Why? Because it follows standard English rules and makes things so much easier that way.

(Taranis is originally the name of a Celtic god, and might be Romanized, but that's splitting hairs. Also, it's being applied to a spaceship as a voodoo magic spaceship name, so it's not going to kill anyone if we break a grammatical rule in reference to it.)

At least, that's how I'd edit it internally. If I'd been drinking, I'd accept Taranopode, Taranii, Taraniseseses, or Taranes. But I haven't been drinking (yet).

Do we have any poetic plurals for specific ship hulls? Blink
Unit XS365BT
Unit Commune
#5 - 2011-10-13 20:32:10 UTC
Taranis.

I actually agree with Jasonidas here..

to refute the idea that it should be Taranii, if i remember correctly, most words in latin that were pluralised with the use of 'ii' ended with 'ius' .. i.e Gladius -> Gladii, Julius -> Julii.

that said, i could be totally wrong. just my 2p.

Unit XS365BT. Designated Communications Officer. Unit Commune.

Cassina Lemour
Staner Industries
#6 - 2011-10-14 00:04:00 UTC


Taranis is the male god of thunder in Celtic Mythology. In Celtic you have grammar for one, dual (two particularly for paired things) and many (3 or more) for word plurality. The dual form of masculine nouns is in fact identical to the singular.

Vallek Arkonnis
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2011-10-14 20:14:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Vallek Arkonnis
CCP Spitfire wrote:
I would imagine "Harbinger" is pronounced like "messenger".


You are correct: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/harbinger

Interesting the OP would use messenger as an example, it's pretty close to harbinger's meaning.
Nuala Reece
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2011-10-15 22:00:13 UTC
CCP Spitfire wrote:

Here is an article about Kitsune on the Wikipedia (and how it is pronounced in real life at least).


Yep. Kitsune is a Japanese word of three letters: Ki (kee), Tsu (tsoo), and Ne (neh) - each letter/syllable is given equal emphasis in the pronunciation. The more usual western (mis)pronunciation, though, would be something more like kit-soo-ni. Kit-soon is just wrong ;)
CCP Spitfire
C C P
C C P Alliance
#9 - 2011-10-16 11:06:48 UTC
Cassina Lemour wrote:


Taranis is the male god of thunder in Celtic Mythology. In Celtic you have grammar for one, dual (two particularly for paired things) and many (3 or more) for word plurality. The dual form of masculine nouns is in fact identical to the singular.



Thank you, it's very interesting. I didn't know that. Smile

CCP Spitfire | Marketing & Sales Team @ccp_spitfire

Cassina Lemour
Staner Industries
#10 - 2011-10-16 14:34:34 UTC
CCP Spitfire wrote:
Cassina Lemour wrote:


Taranis is the male god of thunder in Celtic Mythology. In Celtic you have grammar for one, dual (two particularly for paired things) and many (3 or more) for word plurality. The dual form of masculine nouns is in fact identical to the singular.



Thank you, it's very interesting. I didn't know that. Smile


I have been pondering about the plural (3 or more), which can change for some masculine words. However the name Taranis is derived from Toranos "thunder" and that remains the same for one thunder strike or all thunder strikes, so I think Taranis should be the same for all pluralities as well.

ariana ailith
Dukalin
#11 - 2011-10-18 11:07:48 UTC
But how can any civilization that went through a wormhole and advanced into the future a few thousand years, then lost contact and with it all forms of civilization even know names from their "old earth" ?

Isn't it in the storyline that all 4 cultures originate from the same earth and they all went back to the stoneage to the point where they even had to re-invent everything they once had?

No way that through such a cycle of knowledge and time old stuff like earth gods and such are preserved.

The amarr don't even acknowledge any gods but their own.
Chanina
ASGARD HEAVY INDUSTRIES
#12 - 2011-10-18 11:34:28 UTC
Cassina Lemour wrote:
CCP Spitfire wrote:
Cassina Lemour wrote:


Taranis is the male god of thunder in Celtic Mythology. In Celtic you have grammar for one, dual (two particularly for paired things) and many (3 or more) for word plurality. The dual form of masculine nouns is in fact identical to the singular.



Thank you, it's very interesting. I didn't know that. Smile


I have been pondering about the plural (3 or more), which can change for some masculine words. However the name Taranis is derived from Toranos "thunder" and that remains the same for one thunder strike or all thunder strikes, so I think Taranis should be the same for all pluralities as well.



It is all interesting information no doubt but ...

since eve is placed some thousand years ahead of celtic culture i guess we don't need to much gramatical correctness. Only take a look on how Internet language has developed in about an decade. don't even want to imagine centuries Blink

TL;DR: same opinion like ariana
Kiev Duran
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2011-10-27 21:44:30 UTC
ariana ailith wrote:
But how can any civilization that went through a wormhole and advanced into the future a few thousand years, then lost contact and with it all forms of civilization even know names from their "old earth" ?

Isn't it in the storyline that all 4 cultures originate from the same earth and they all went back to the stoneage to the point where they even had to re-invent everything they once had?

No way that through such a cycle of knowledge and time old stuff like earth gods and such are preserved.

The amarr don't even acknowledge any gods but their own.



It's been established that ship names are translated into the closest English equivalent from whatever the original name would have been. For instance, while it is highly unlikely that the Gallenteans would know who Ares was, it can be assumed that at some point in their past at least one proto-Gallente civilization worshiped a god of war depicted as bringing destruction to his foes and thirsting for battle. Likewise, there aren't likely to be any crows, hawks, falcons, or condors as we know them on either Caldari Prime or New Caldari, but birds that are either similar in nature or symbolism to those listed are almost certain to exist.
Little Delicious
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2011-10-29 10:26:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Little Delicious
I think treating the word Taranis like moose is the most euphonious solution. One Taranis, two Taranis, three Taranis.
Taijha Assari
StarDancer Excavations
#15 - 2011-10-30 21:03:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Taijha Assari
I would like to point out that not everything plural in english ends in es. Certain things end in i for plural. Hippopotami for example. I think Taranisi works better... also its cooler because it makes it sound like a dinosaur name. :D

Also theres different pronunciations of Kitsune based on region. Tokyo dialect (what most people learn) omits the u in words that have it alot. So it would be Kits'neh But I believe the non-omitting pronunciation would be kih-tsoo-neh. Remember there is no stress in Japanese, so all syllables are pronounced the same all the time.

And finally, harbinger is pronounced either way, it depends on whether or not you say tomayto or tomahto. I've always said harbing-ger... but then I also still spell certain words with the u (like harbour) because thats how I was taught when I was little. lol
ariana ailith
Dukalin
#16 - 2011-11-08 14:38:48 UTC
Kiev Duran wrote:
ariana ailith wrote:
But how can any civilization that went through a wormhole and advanced into the future a few thousand years, then lost contact and with it all forms of civilization even know names from their "old earth" ?

Isn't it in the storyline that all 4 cultures originate from the same earth and they all went back to the stoneage to the point where they even had to re-invent everything they once had?

No way that through such a cycle of knowledge and time old stuff like earth gods and such are preserved.

The amarr don't even acknowledge any gods but their own.



It's been established that ship names are translated into the closest English equivalent from whatever the original name would have been. For instance, while it is highly unlikely that the Gallenteans would know who Ares was, it can be assumed that at some point in their past at least one proto-Gallente civilization worshiped a god of war depicted as bringing destruction to his foes and thirsting for battle. Likewise, there aren't likely to be any crows, hawks, falcons, or condors as we know them on either Caldari Prime or New Caldari, but birds that are either similar in nature or symbolism to those listed are almost certain to exist.


Thats a big assumption and therefor not very strong.
Even if there are animals resembling crows and such like it's unlikely the new eden folks would name them all the same as we did on earth by coincidence...
Le'Mon Tichim
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2011-11-08 18:12:55 UTC
ariana ailith wrote:

The amarr don't even acknowledge any gods but their own.



You mean much like how modern day Christianity passes off any other culture's god's as myths? I'm a firm believer that the Amarrian religion is just a hyper-evolved form of any single-god religion we have today.

Can you hear them? They are calling to us. It is beautiful. http://thegreattichim.wordpress.com/

Borza Slavak
Mirkur Draug'Tyr
Ushra'Khan
#18 - 2011-11-09 11:58:42 UTC
Little Delicious wrote:
I think treating the word Taranis like moose is the most euphonious solution. One Taranis, two Taranis, three Taranis.


No, Goose rather than Moose.

Taranis, Taraneese.