These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Improving the Inventory UI - What matters the most?

First post First post
Author
CCP Arrow
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2012-09-18 14:45:00 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Eterne
Team Game of Drones will be working on various improvements to the Inventory UI (User Interface) for our winter release.

We are currently working on fixes and defects related to the Inventory but are also prioritizing a list of improvements to the usability and functionality of the Inventory as a whole.

We shared a list of items with the CSM about 4 weeks ago and now have gone through their feedback and have a list of things which I wanted to share with you.

We will be revisiting the list in the coming weeks so it might change over time or the prioritization shift, but we still feel it is important to share the plan so that we can get valuable input from players:

Inventory Usability Iteration

• All Inventory windows are unique and always persist their shape, size & position between sessions
  • All Inventory windows persist their pinned state for each session
  • Users can access various Inventory locations directly from the Neocom by default
  • Users can move any tab from the Index Tree of the Inventory to use as a shortcut from the Neocom
  • Users can see which inventories are inaccessible in the Neocom (Station inventories while in space)
  • Users can use a filter input field for the Index Tree to find tabs quicker
  • All Inventory windows remember the open/close state of each tab within their window
  • When moving items inside the Index Tree, the focus never goes away from the inventory the items are being moved from, it only expands sub-tree tabs if hovered over parent tabs for a certain amount of time
  • When moving items inside the Index Tree, the tree will scroll up or down if the mouse is moved to the upper or lower edges of the Index Tree tab
  • Resizing the Inventory window will behave like other windows instead of scaling all tabs proportionally

We also have more tasks lined up for adding value to the Inventory as a feature. It is currently prioritized lower than the usability improvements, but let us know your thoughts on them:

Inventory Feature Iteration

• Corporation hangar has a root, letting the user browse through divisions like a regular inventory
  • Player Owned Structures (POS) have a root so that I can browse through it like a regular inventory with folders
  • Users can see which POS and wrecks are in range and can be interacted with
  • Users see a restrictions Icon in the Index Tree for the corporate hangars and containers they don't have access to
  • Users can group ships in Ship hangar into ship class tabs so that managing a big Ship inventory is easier
  • Navigating the Index Tree can be done with the keyboard (Up & Down arrows to move up and down, Left & Right arrows to collapse and expand tabs and ENTER to select an inventory)
  • Renaming divisions can be done by Right-clicking the Division directly in the Inventory
  • Corporation owners can choose from a list of predefined icons for their Divisions, so they don't all look the same
  • Corporation owners can enable/disable fleet access to bays through the Index Tree
  • Users can create keyboard shortcuts for all bays/divisions
  • The Quick Actions Menu will be added to the bottom of the Inventory window and will have a range of useful options for quicker access or for tasks that have not been available before. Actions like 'Empty' and 'Sell All'.

That is all for now, I will try to answer all comments and questions as best as I can.

CCP Arrow   |   Director of User Experience   |   EVE Online   |   @CCP_Arrow

Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-09-18 14:50:55 UTC
I endorse this product and/or service.

Private Citizen • CSM in recovery

Hannott Thanos
Notorious Legion
SCRUBS.
#3 - 2012-09-18 14:51:27 UTC
Yay, Uupgrayyeds :)

while (CurrentSelectedTarget.Status == ShipStatus.Alive) {

_myShip.FireAllGuns(CurrentSelectedTarget);

}

Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#4 - 2012-09-18 14:53:07 UTC
Ground floor. Cool

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#5 - 2012-09-18 14:53:12 UTC
CCP Arrow wrote:

• When moving items inside the Index Tree, the focus never goes away from the inventory the items are being moved from, it only expands sub-tree tabs if hovered over parent tabs for a certain amount of time
  • When moving items inside the Index Tree, the tree will scroll up or down if the mouse is moved to the upper or lower edges of the Index Tree tab
  • The Quick Actions Menu will be added to the bottom of the Inventory window and will have a range of useful options for quicker access or for tasks that have not been available before. Actions like 'Empty' and 'Sell All'.

• I love these three.

I'd still love to see a "favorites" system, where I can have a small number of nodes in the tree pinned to the top of the tree. See the video I sent you... :)

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Grideris
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #6 - 2012-09-18 14:53:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Grideris
    Some of these changes make me happy. Especially the change to stay in the inventory you're currently in rather than the one you're moving the items to.

EDIT: What are the chances of making it that when you drag a mixed group of items/ships from a cargohold/container to your hanger, it will dump each item into it's proper area instead of only moving those items that fit in that space? (E.g. drag a ship and a bunch of modules to the item hanger, dumps the modules in the item hanger and the ship in the ship hanger. Current behaviour moves only the modules).

http://www.dust514.org - the unofficial forum for everything DUST 514 http://www.dust514base.com -** the** blog site with everything else DUST 514 you need

Hosedna
    FumbleFamily Corp
    #7 - 2012-09-18 14:54:57 UTC
    Quote:
    Corporation owners can choose from a list of predefined icons for their Divisions, so they don't all look the same

Great idea !
    Archdaimon
    Merchants of the Golden Goose
    #8 - 2012-09-18 14:57:55 UTC
    Looks great!

Wormholes have the best accoustics. It's known. - Sing it for me -

Jack bubu
    north eastern swat
    Pandemic Legion
    #9 - 2012-09-18 15:00:03 UTC
    Users can access various Inventory locations directly from the Neocom by default

if this includes a extra button for ship hangar im happy!

also in before "rollback inventory" whine
    Muscaat
    EVE Markets
    #10 - 2012-09-18 15:07:57 UTC
    CCP Arrow wrote:

• When moving items inside the Index Tree, the tree will scroll up or down if the mouse is moved to the upper or lower edges of the Index Tree tab.

• This fills me with user-interface-enhanced joy Smile
    CCP RubberBAND
    CCP Engineering Corp
    CCP Engineering Alliance
    #11 - 2012-09-18 15:08:12 UTC
    Jack bubu wrote:
    Users can access various Inventory locations directly from the Neocom by default

if this includes a extra button for ship hangar im happy!

also in before "rollback inventory" whine

That is the idea. That you would be able to pin specific Inventory locations to the Neocom, so they act like buttons that open up that Inventory location directly. E.g. a Ship hangar button on the Neocom would open up your Ship hangar.

Feel free to poke me on: Twitter

Kelduum Revaan
    The Ebon Hawk
    The Ebon Hawk.
    #12 - 2012-09-18 15:09:48 UTC
    CCP Arrow wrote:
    Renaming divisions can be done by Right-clicking the Division directly in the Inventory

100 ISK for the first person to tell me exactly where this currently is. I suspect most people simply don't know or cant find it.
    Alx Warlord
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #13 - 2012-09-18 15:13:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Alx Warlord
    Really good : )

dont forget that you guys have to remake the POS system,Blink, that will need allot of work on UI.

---edit---

- Strip miners could show the actual amount of ore that it have mined in the cycle as you hover the mouse over it.

- Asteroid Scaners could show the Volume of Ore in the asteroids along with the number of units in it.

- Asteroid Scaners could show the amount of time needed with 1 strip miner to mine it to depletion.
    Logix42
    Taxation Damnation
    #14 - 2012-09-18 15:14:46 UTC
    Please check out the "Item Management" category of our WDATT list. Might be something there to give you ideas.
    Google Document: bit.ly/wdatt
    Main Forum Post: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=98941

You've already got a bunch or what we have listed which makes me excited!!

Go beyond the edge of space... Explore

Bagehi
    Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion
    #15 - 2012-09-18 15:14:54 UTC
    Hurrah for UI fixes!
    Bagehi
    Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion
    #16 - 2012-09-18 15:16:28 UTC
    Kelduum Revaan wrote:
    CCP Arrow wrote:
    Renaming divisions can be done by Right-clicking the Division directly in the Inventory

100 ISK for the first person to tell me exactly where this currently is. I suspect most people simply don't know or cant find it.

I think they're talking about the divisions on the left side of the inventory window.
    Grideris
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #17 - 2012-09-18 15:16:31 UTC
    Kelduum Revaan wrote:
    CCP Arrow wrote:

Renaming divisions themselves? Pretty sure it's under Corp window -> Home tab -> Details tab -> Divisions button at the bottom. You can rename the 7 divisions from there. (Pretty sure you need director privileges to do this)

http://www.dust514.org - the unofficial forum for everything DUST 514 http://www.dust514base.com -** the** blog site with everything else DUST 514 you need

Daneel Trevize
    Give my 11percent back
    #18 - 2012-09-18 15:20:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Daneel Trevize
    CCP Arrow wrote:
    Inventory Usability Iteration
    • Resizing the Inventory window will behave like other windows instead of scaling all tabs proportionally
    Please keep these on the priority list, they're exaclty the issues I face with trying to adapt to the new style reusable single inventory window, in space combat or in station.

The shifting index area size ruins maintaining a constant clear view of your selected container with minimal wasted space & wrap-around/scrolling. I can't find a usable size to view my cargo in space with the index hidden (for maximum space view/manual piloting clicking area), and also be able to quickly expand it and keep a clear view of my cargo/subcontainers while frantically moving e.g. cap boosters & keeping an eye on other items stock levels without awkward scrollbars & imperfect sizing w.r.t. grid view.

Having to move the index scroll bar before being able to select the items I wish to move from a located container to a previous one (I'm thinking splitting mixed cargo/main station storage into designated named cans, or just moving freshly bought ammo into the current ship's cargo) is either really annoying or forces me to fill my screen with a larger inventory window just to see the index.

Taking a second to ensure I'm over the right container to drop some subset of items into and having focus move from the source seems pointless when you've already got every named can accessible via the index, no need to view in them and no desire to have to relocate the source container before moving another subset elsewhere.
    Vi'ach
    #19 - 2012-09-18 15:21:15 UTC
    CCP Arrow wrote:

• All Inventory windows are unique and always persist their shape, size & position between sessions
    • All Inventory windows persist their pinned state for each session

These will make me happy, I'm tired of resizing the "left tree" window!

One thing I have noticed too, when at a POS and viewing any of the POS mod's storage in the tree, if you roll up the window and warp away you (obviously) go out of range the window then unrolls to just show your ships cargo bay and can be very annoying. Just keep it rolled up please :)
    Vyktor Abyss
    The Abyss Corporation
    #20 - 2012-09-18 15:26:53 UTC
    Quite an annoying example of the new interface is the two lines required at the bottom of a minimum sized cargobay...

The lines 'number of items' then the summed value create a 2 line height box of colourful border that actually obscures the names of any modules etc in the cargobay itself - only leaving a cut of the item picture.

I'll attach a paintshop pic if needed to explain further.

This really minor thing is a damn nuisance though and needs sorting out quick.

123Next pageLast page