These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Leaving Eve after almost five years.

Author
ReptilesBlade
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-08-30 16:26:40 UTC  |  Edited by: ReptilesBlade
After having a lengthy discussion with my wife yesterday we have both come to the same conclusions. There are things I want to do with my life, write some books, get my own company running and actually making us a living, etc. and Eve has become a time sink that is preventing me from doing these things. All my life I have wanted to be my own businessman and run my own company. I even have my own LLC. I do nothing with it. This is unacceptable to me. I always wanted a company, now I have one and have nothing to do with it? This seems supremely stupid for some reason. I think I would rather use my own real corporation to accumulate real assets instead of a fake one to accumulate fake assets from this time forward.

For the record my wife is NOT forcing me to give up Eve, quite the opposite in fact. She does not care if I continue to play or even really how much. I am making this decision for myself.

This decision came last night. I had to move some large items and needed to make a long trip in my Orca. I left my home base and got to where the items were for pick-up after flying manually for almost an hour and a half. Once I docked I realized that I just spent an hour and a half to move fictional items from one place to another and I was only half done! I am not making isk, and I am not even having fun. I am working for no pay at a dead end job with no prospects to better myself. Make no mistake; this "game" is nothing more than a false job.

If I am going to work someone is going to be paying me, not the other way around.

Beyond the reasons above I am also sick of the player base. The vast majority of the players are just jerks or selfish petulant children. One just wants to bully everyone else and the other just wants to whine and cry and throw a tantrum until they get their way. You cannot be left alone to enjoy yourself, or the company of friends, without often being bothered by either type. I realize I need to have more respect for myself and not associate with either type on the Internet just like I would not associate with them in real life. Most of them also seem to be rather stupid, but that is unsurprising considering the vast epidemic of ignorance sweeping the world.

There is a nice majority of wonderful people however, many of whom I will miss, such as those in my own corporation and Akita T. You are the main thing that made this game worth playing. I wish all of you a long and prosperous life.

Eve was already on its second chance with me after Incarna. I left then for three months and the only reason I returned was because I felt Eve deserved a second chance after I heard about Crucible. I like to refer to it as what CCP should have been doing for the last two years. Even so the real-time skill training system with no way to accelerate or augment it by actually playing the game is just asinine. It is a pathetically blatant attempt to just get me to keep paying CCP for the privilege to ultimately do nothing. I have chosen to allow myself to be manipulated in this way for so long because until recently I was actually having fun doing so. There is no longer any such benefit for me so I am getting rid of it just like a bad credit card with no balance and way to many fees.

I have no intention of logging on more than perhaps once or twice just to chat with friends until my subscription runs out and will be giving out nothing to anyone. I spent all these years working to get what I have and for once I can take it with me so do not bother asking for my stuff.

To summarize I am leaving because:

1. I am tired of working a fake job for a fake company for fake pay when I could be working for my own company and making real money.

2. I want to do real world things and I no longer want a distraction from them. Write some books, further my long term goals, **** my hot wife into unconsciousness. Things like that.

3. I am sick of the jerks and the crybabies in no specific order. You know who you are. Again the good people will be missed (Akita T and my corp mates I am looking at you).

4. Real time skill training. I think I can do this myself in the real world without the "privilege" of paying someone else to do so.

5. Eve is not an escape, it is a prison designed to keep your inner potential restrained.

May you all have long lives and never get podded.

EDIT: The original real reason I made this post was to be able to answer my corp members and CCP when they asked why I was leaving. It is easier to answer those questions here and then just send them a link to the topic.

I am aware that Eve is a game that lets you make your own goals and do what you want, that is what initially attracted me to it and specifically my first career as a trader.

I never had an alt, only this one character for the sole point of this being an escape and a hobby, not a second job. It still somehow became that.

After almost five years I have done everything I have even remotely wanted to in Eve and excelled at all of it. It is like Matriarch Prime said; I have simply continued playing long after I was no longer getting any enjoyment from the game. I kept playing to try and recapture that lost fun but I never could.

Another issue was time management, but not in the way you think. I would often just log in to do a small thing, something that would not take more than 15 minutes at most. But that thing would lead to something else to do, and then again to something else. The next thing I know it is hours later and I am wondering what happened and where the time went. Hell, it might not even be to do anything at all but just talk with my alliance mates for a few minutes then we would get invaded or some other bit of drama came up and then once again by the time the dust settled I was wondering where the hours went to. This is how Eve was stealing my time, not directly but indirectly and insidiously.
Jim Era
#2 - 2012-08-30 16:28:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Jim Era
see ya

also, after reading random bits.

LOL at OP

your life really has sucked.

also, getting podded is fun.

You stressed so much trying to not get podded you imploded.

Watâ„¢

Charles Baker
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#3 - 2012-08-30 16:29:34 UTC
Obligatory can i have your stuff post.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#4 - 2012-08-30 16:30:07 UTC  |  Edited by: War Kitten
Can I have your stuff? I'll move it, don't worry.

EDIT: damn, beaten to the punch... that'll teach me to read all that drivel.

OP, couldn't you just have eve-mailed the people who cared? You can blame Eve for all your problems if you want, but I think you've discovered the real problem already. I'm not sure why you shared your personal discovery moment with the forums.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Hypercake Mix
#5 - 2012-08-30 16:30:21 UTC
Whatever floats your boat. GL.
Spurty
#6 - 2012-08-30 16:30:44 UTC
Podding = fast way back to my ship. All good here, but hey you took the blue pill!

Good luck

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Lyron-Baktos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-08-30 16:32:55 UTC
stuff?
Tub Chil
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-08-30 16:33:16 UTC
**** or gtfo

oh wait

can I have your stuff please
Lili Lu
#9 - 2012-08-30 16:38:04 UTC
You'll be back. You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.Lol

Oh as to real time training vs. in-game repetition training. In-game repetition is actually more asinine. And in your case it might have lead to hour and a half sessions of jumping the same gate back and forth or something.P
Jacob Straven
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-08-30 16:45:00 UTC
beaten to the stuff post, but not to this

Can I have your ISK??

\o/
Ekscalybur
Templar Services Inc.
#11 - 2012-08-30 16:45:37 UTC
War Kitten wrote:

OP, couldn't you just have eve-mailed the people who cared? You can blame Eve for all your problems if you want, but I think you've discovered the real problem already. I'm not sure why you shared your personal discovery moment with the forums.

In case the OP missed this post.......

nerf Veldspar!

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2012-08-30 16:51:52 UTC
Man, what a drama queen.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Jim Era
#13 - 2012-08-30 16:52:57 UTC
Hm, I just watched the episode of south park last night about the queer eye for the straight guy-crab people taking over the world and making men have feelings.

Oh this isn't a thread about random status updates?

Watâ„¢

Elvis Fett
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-08-30 16:53:57 UTC
I can understand, and empathize with you when you speak of how EVE can start to feel like a job. But I have to totally disagree with you when you bash on EVE's skill training system. EVE's skill training system is one of the many things that makes EVE so great, and can go a long way in making EVE not feel like a job. Not having to grind is huge, if I had to kill tons of NPCs to get my Medium AutoCannon to V I would not be playing EVE.

Goodluck with your business I hope you are successful. What type of business are you planning on running? One can be successful and still have free time to do what they like, such as EVE. Working 80-120+ hour weeks drains ones body,mind and soul. No amount of 'success' is worth that, especially when you have a lovely wife.

Maybe you just need to change up how you view EVE, quit seeing it as isk per hour, or kills per day, or whatever else it is you are so focused on that makes EVE feel like a job. Just focus on having fun, perhaps try something in EVE that is new to you (wormholes, pvp, FW, etc.). If you do decide you need a break and your business takes off, you can come back and purchase plex to sell for isk. Then you would not have to grind anything, and just focus on total fun. Although as a 5yr old player you probably have a ton of assets you can spend on fun.

Either way goodluck to you and fly safe.
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#15 - 2012-08-30 16:54:01 UTC
tl;dr
Wasting time? Same can be applied to reading loooong "I'm quitting" threads.
But really, to run a business, you need to figure out how to manage time, not go from one extreme to another, ditching stuff along the way. You are just doing the same thing you have done already, and will do it again, until you learn to manage your time. As you balance your time more efficiently, you would find EVE to be more fun than before when you could not manage your time. As well it would not be a time sink as you think of it now, as everyone needs some entertainment, and you will probably just replace this with something else, and probably wind up doing the same thing all over again. So no, no affirmation from me.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

sYnc Vir
Wolfsbrigade
Ghost Legion.
#16 - 2012-08-30 16:56:03 UTC
Your stuff, Send Contact, work hard and o of course...

... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9afU0wA6BVc

Don't ask about Italics, just tilt your head.

Gerald Taric
NEO DYNAMICS
#17 - 2012-08-30 16:57:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Gerald Taric
I wish you good luck for your future plans in your life.
Tenaj
TOOKURSTUFF
#18 - 2012-08-30 16:59:36 UTC
ReptilesBlade wrote:

Beyond the reasons above I am also sick of the player base. The vast majority of the players are just jerks or selfish petulant children.

You missed the other type......Self important nobs who think that everyne else should be treated to their opinions. So you're leaving.......nobody gives a ****.
Matriarch Prime
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2012-08-30 17:00:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Matriarch Prime
To be honest, you sound like you played for far to long after the enjoyment left. I see this a lot in MMO players. Its ok to find new interests and hobbies, and for your priorities to change over time. It is important that you realize that just like you actions in the game were completely driven by you own choices, so are your action in real life. EvE isn't the boogie man here. You just let your own priorities get out whack for too long, and the realization has made you bitter.

I hope that one day that you come to appreciate the enjoyment you got out of the game, the fun you had and the relationships that you formed, as a result of being a part of this community. Focus on those things and try not to be so hard on yourself. We all have our coulda/shoulda moments, but it rarely productive beyond helping guide our future decisions. It is important to also know why you "didn't" leave, and try to bring thay experience to your new endevours so you can express you passions and dreams onward to your goal.

Good luck to you, and I wish you best.

I like big guns. I can not lie. You other suckas can't deny. When I warp in, with an itty bity sig, with an arty in your face, you get sprung. You want to pull out your debuffs, 'cause you want to loot my stuff...deep, in a worm with nary, an escape but you can't stop staring. 'Cause, Oh crap!, Baby's got Point!

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2012-08-30 17:01:34 UTC
Tenaj wrote:
ReptilesBlade wrote:

Beyond the reasons above I am also sick of the player base. The vast majority of the players are just jerks or selfish petulant children.

You missed the other type......Self important nobs who think that everyne else should be treated to their opinions. So you're leaving.......nobody gives a ****.

You've probably been playing EVE too much if you've forgotten all of the above applies to people pretty much anywhere else as well.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

123Next pageLast page