These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

CSM Chairman Hotline - AMA (Ask Me Anything) non-NDA about EVE, the CSM & CCP

First post
Author
Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#1 - 2012-08-27 19:20:12 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Gargant
HI, I'm Seleene, former CCP Game Designer and current Chairman of CSM 7.

As stated in the title, I may have ~things~ to say if you ask some questions. Twitter: @Seleene_EVE

So, an intro for those that don't know, or think they know, me.

I've been playing EVE since May of 2003, long before there were things like capital ships, supercarriers, tech moons and a half-ass good tutorial. I started out mining Omber for weeks in a Punisher to earn the ISK for my first BPO (a Blackbird) and flew my ship uphill, in the snow, etc... We didn't have fancy things like 'alliances' or Tech 2 ships. Kestrels made great haulers until you managed to find someone building Bestowers and good luck finding one on the open market!

In April of 2004 I started a mercenary corporation, Body Count Inc. (BDCI), with an uninsured Scorpion battleship, a Crow interceptor and 30 million ISK to my name. There was no mechanic for mercs so we just made it up as we went along, eventually gathering up a few other like-minded folks and formed what became known as the Mercenary Coalition. I was the leader / executor / accountant / glue / whatever of the alliance and aged about a year for every month I did it. After about 3-4 years of rampaging around I closed the doors on MC.

From November 2006 - February 2010 I was a Game Designer at CCP. My dev name was CCP Abathur. Over the course of three years I touched on nearly every aspect of EVE game play in some form. My time at CCP is more detailed here. While I was at CCP, I watched the birth of the CSM experiment and worked with the elected players. As a player, I continued to believe in the potential of the CSM so I ran myself, getting elected to both CSM 6 and CSM 7, where I now serve as the Chairman.

Since my return to EVE I've taken the duties of CEO of my corp back over, my mercenary leanings eventually landing us in Pandemic Legion. So, contrary to popular belief, I've done a few other things than just be in the Legion for the past year and that is likely why the rest of the CSM voted me into the Chairman position.

I've started this thread because I prefer a more interactive approach than just straight blogging. Now that the CSM Summit Minutes are out, after doing a couple of 'Town Hall' meetings on EVE Radio, and with CCP getting ready to enter release planning for the Winter expansion, it's more important than ever to keep the Q & A going.

I will do my best to answer questions as they happen but may be AFK from time to time. If I don't know or can't talk about something and say that, please just let it be. Otherwise, ask away! :)

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#2 - 2012-08-28 06:31:48 UTC  |  Edited by: rodyas
So still no "money shot" during the winter expansion?

It seems CCP thinks not doing "jesus features" is a money shot, we are suppose to get excited for. Just seems a little bit boring though with that attitude.

Though to be fair, "what about Technetium, POSes, sovereignty?" those topics or activities aren't as old or boring as it seems, so hard to do dramatic changes to them.

I would almost fall for faster re-balancing or more modules really.

(Secretly mostly angry at my low SP, and how it keeps me from doing fun activities - (just throw that in the hi clone cost and hi implant cost bin though I suppose.)

(Also secretly angry at people that say low sp doesn't matter)

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Frying Doom
#3 - 2012-08-28 11:38:10 UTC
Thank you for using this forum even if your intro text was just a copy and paste.

So I suppose question 1 is: will the CSM actually be starting to use EvE forums more often rather than people having to hunt through third party sites to find out what you are saying?

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Groll McCabe
Squaddies
#4 - 2012-08-28 12:21:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Groll McCabe
Do you feel that CCP are putting adequate development resources into Eve, and if not can you confirm you and the CSM are requesting that CCP do so?

Following the Incarna debacle we the players were assured that CCP were prioritising flying in space and putting more development resources into that than ever before.

Well it doesn't feel like it. While Crucible and Inferno contained a lot of valuable tweaks, and some improvements to the UI, it certainly doesn't feel like they have put as much effort into Eve as they said they would.

The published minutes state that the crimewatch team hope to get that development area finished by winter 2012, but no guarantees. After crimewatch is finished that development team will move onto starbase redevelopment in 2013. And as a consequence of starbase redevelopment work, ring mining has been put on hold. It seems to me like there is really only one significant team working one Eve flying in space activities.

Any comments?
Rengerel en Distel
#5 - 2012-08-29 23:27:59 UTC
Any more iterations on:

Unified Inventory - Window states still don't save. They also don't save different states between station/space.

Tooltips - Icon should be removed, smaller, should have more details.

FW - many threads about possible changes to make FW better, is it even on their radar?

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#6 - 2012-08-30 18:40:20 UTC
rodyas wrote:
So still no "money shot" during the winter expansion?

It seems CCP thinks not doing "jesus features" is a money shot, we are suppose to get excited for. Just seems a little bit boring though with that attitude.

Though to be fair, "what about Technetium, POSes, sovereignty?" those topics or activities aren't as old or boring as it seems, so hard to do dramatic changes to them.

I would almost fall for faster re-balancing or more modules really.


There are some cool things coming for winter that will excite a lot of players and probably cause others to be 'meh. I think that CCP is going to have to be careful with how they handle messaging for the Winter expansion. On one hand, there is still a lot of iteration and fixing going on. In parallel to that are other things in the pipeline for next year that we won't see much of in the next few months. I can't speak on exactly what money shots are coming, but from what the CSM has seen, CCP has it's act together in terms of resource allocation for how EVE develops in the long term. Obviously there are some things many of us would like to see happen sooner rather than later, but I'd also like to see them done correctly and completely and not be half- assed as we've seen in the past.

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#7 - 2012-08-30 18:48:11 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Thank you for using this forum even if your intro text was just a copy and paste.


Why bother re-typing an entirely new intro to say the exact same information? v0v

Frying Doom wrote:
So I suppose question 1 is: will the CSM actually be starting to use EvE forums more often rather than people having to hunt through third party sites to find out what you are saying?


A couple things here:

Yes, I intend to. That's part of what this thread is. As to other CSM members, we shall see. Bear in mind that it's often much easier to some to update a blog or conduct an interview on a podcast. Most of the more vocal CSMs are all on Twitter as well and in between cat pics and such, there's a lot of random info floating about there as well.

The main 'problem' thus far has been the lack of a centralized update that everyone knows to look at in order to find info about where to go and what to read / listen to. That's something we are working on right now, both with CCP and internally.

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#8 - 2012-08-30 18:56:46 UTC
Groll McCabe wrote:
Do you feel that CCP are putting adequate development resources into Eve, and if not can you confirm you and the CSM are requesting that CCP do so?

Following the Incarna debacle we the players were assured that CCP were prioritising flying in space and putting more development resources into that than ever before.

Well it doesn't feel like it. While Crucible and Inferno contained a lot of valuable tweaks, and some improvements to the UI, it certainly doesn't feel like they have put as much effort into Eve as they said they would.


To answer your initial question, absolutely. There are well over a dozen dev teams working on EVE right now. I can only hazard a guess as to why "it doesn't feel like it" to you but the patch notes for Crucible and Inferno were fairly massive and there have been several 'point' releases in between the expansions in the past 10 months as well. While there has been no massive 'Jesus Feature', CCP has done exactly what we asked them to do - fix the stuff that was broken and get the game running smoothly. That was never going to happen overnight and that has been their recent focus.

That being said, there is quite a lot of development going on in parallel to 'fixing things' but we won't start seeing the fruits of that before next year, which is fine because it's better that CCP takes the time to do it right.

Groll McCabe wrote:
The published minutes state that the crimewatch team hope to get that development area finished by winter 2012, but no guarantees. After crimewatch is finished that development team will move onto starbase redevelopment in 2013.


While it is possible that some of the programmers or whatever working on Crimewatch may end up coding POS stuff later, those are two completely different teams atm.

Groll McCabe wrote:
And as a consequence of starbase redevelopment work, ring mining has been put on hold.


Ring mining was never going to come out by Winter.

Groll McCabe wrote:
It seems to me like there is really only one significant team working one Eve flying in space activities.


That's very far from true.

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#9 - 2012-08-30 18:58:20 UTC
Rengerel en Distel wrote:
Any more iterations on:

Unified Inventory - Window states still don't save. They also don't save different states between station/space.


Yep. The UI is under constant revision.

Rengerel en Distel wrote:
Tooltips - Icon should be removed, smaller, should have more details.


This is also being iterated on.

Rengerel en Distel wrote:
FW - many threads about possible changes to make FW better, is it even on their radar?


FW is pretty much a gigantic blob on the radar. Smile

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

Revolution Rising
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-08-31 00:02:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Revolution Rising
The very largest barriers to entry for lowsec and 0.0 for - non affiliated miners haven't been addressed.
(By non-affiliated I mean people who aren't part of a sov holding alliance, and thus don't have station access).

Spodzilla - The gigantic 3 day epic spodumain mining that must come with each and every grav site.
25% POS refinery waste - You only get 75% of the refining from your spodumain mining corp, what a waste.

You personally told me these would be seen to in this CSM.

Please explain.

If "nothing can be done" before winter on these two - from what I can see - text editing development cycles that could ostensibly take 1 day to fix, how do you reconcile Mittani getting his titan nerf hotfix 6 months ago ?

Or do you simply not have the same pull that Mittens did, despite your best efforts to buddy up and all be BFF with CCP?

.

Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#11 - 2012-08-31 01:35:21 UTC
Revolution Rising wrote:
The very largest barriers to entry for lowsec and 0.0 for - non affiliated miners haven't been addressed.
(By non-affiliated I mean people who aren't part of a sov holding alliance, and thus don't have station access).

Spodzilla - The gigantic 3 day epic spodumain mining that must come with each and every grav site.
25% POS refinery waste - You only get 75% of the refining from your spodumain mining corp, what a waste.

You personally told me these would be seen to in this CSM.

Please explain.


Explain what? That we are not even halfway through the term and that for most of June and July CCP was (and pretty much always has been) a tomb? Things just kicked back off a couple weeks ago and the ball is rolling. We just can't talk about stuff yet. v0v

Revolution Rising wrote:
If "nothing can be done" before winter on these two - from what I can see - text editing development cycles that could ostensibly take 1 day to fix, how do you reconcile Mittani getting his titan nerf hotfix 6 months ago ?

Or do you simply not have the same pull with CCP that Mittens did, despite your best efforts to buddy up and all be BFF?


Heh. You can bait all you wish with comments about 'pull', but Mittens was hardly alone in his desire or push for a supercap nerf. I'd also like to say, with just a bit of irony, that your argument is backwards. When you talk about 'text editing development', that actually would apply to the supercap nerf (things like gun tracking) and not to changing grav sites or of the other industry-related things that many people want to see happen.

As for being all "BFF", aside from the idiocy surrounding the Unified Inventory release (which the CSM gave the people responsible for no small amount of ****), we've seen little reason to rage at CCP over things that are not yet set in stone one way or the other. There are lots of things being tossed about with regard to what will or won't make it in for winter and that is still very much in the works.

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

Groll McCabe
Squaddies
#12 - 2012-08-31 01:46:21 UTC
Thanks for posting and allaying my concerns.

Thanks also for posting here in general, as this is the only way I have to know CSM members are doing their job. One CSM member I helped vote into office won’t be getting my vote for re-election do to apparent dereliction of duty.
Revolution Rising
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-08-31 02:17:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Revolution Rising
Noone is expecting anything to be done today, however the minutes have no mention of many issues you personally endorsed as needing change.

I'm wondering as to why ?

Is it so big a stretch that people who are elected to CSM should be asked why they haven't followed through on issues they personally endorsed ?

I also agree with Groll, it's good that the Winter expansion hasn't been set in stone - thus my need to bring these issues up - as they don't seem to have made it to the CSM meetings. I also have people I won't be helping re-elect next term, and no Seleene I am not saying you are one of them.

It would be good to just hear "We'll get right on that." or "We forgot, sorry, we'll get right on that." or any variation thereof.

Do consider next election period and the examples you set now can be brought up later as either a boon or a curse.

Thanks for putting this thread in to allow us to express any concerns.

.

Revolution Rising
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-08-31 02:38:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Revolution Rising
Seleene wrote:

Heh. You can bait all you wish with comments about 'pull', but Mittens was hardly alone in his desire or push for a supercap nerf. I'd also like to say, with just a bit of irony, that your argument is backwards. When you talk about 'text editing development', that actually would apply to the supercap nerf (things like gun tracking) and not to changing grav sites or of the other industry-related things that many people want to see happen.

As for being all "BFF", aside from the idiocy surrounding the Unified Inventory release (which the CSM gave the people responsible for no small amount of ****), we've seen little reason to rage at CCP over things that are not yet set in stone one way or the other. There are lots of things being tossed about with regard to what will or won't make it in for winter and that is still very much in the works.


Just on this, people have to wonder at the context of the CSM.

Does the CSM guide CCP on many issues or are you guided by CCP to comment on what they are going to do next ?

If the former, then one then has to wonder at the capacity of the CSM to just write down a bunch of notes when elected of issues they were elected on to bring to the fore and do it.

Surely this is basic stuff ?

It's not some "bait" it's a reasonable concern.

Do you not see changes to the industry side of the game not taking place for 10 years not at least as big a **** up as the unified inventory ?

.

Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#15 - 2012-08-31 02:50:38 UTC
Revolution Rising wrote:
Noone is expecting anything to be done today, however the minutes have no mention of many issues you personally endorsed as needing change. I'm wondering as to why ?


Probably because the minutes only cover what happened during the actual meetings. The (ultra)detailed three days of official meetings are in no way reflective of days and months and weeks of communication with CCP.

Revolution Rising wrote:
Is it so big a stretch that people who are elected to CSM should be asked why they haven't followed through on issues they personally endorsed ?


Not at all. However, it might be a stretch to ask those questions before the term is even half done, before the first whole expansion on our watch is out.

Revolution Rising wrote:
I also agree with Groll, it's good that the Winter expansion hasn't been set in stone - thus my need to bring these issues up - as they don't seem to have made it to the CSM meetings. I also have people I won't be helping re-elect next term, and no Seleene I am not saying you are one of them.

It would be good to just hear "We'll get right on that." or "We forgot, sorry, we'll get right on that." or any variation thereof.

Do consider next election period and the examples you set now can be brought up later as either a boon or a curse.


Just one thing here - any effort I put into the CSM has nothing at all to do with getting re-elected to the next one. I put the effort in because I can't seem to get away from this game and I want it to be better! If I tell you that I want to see something happen in the game or that I think something is stupid, rest assured that at some point during a year long CSM term that it comes up... a lot. Hats, bigger rocks, BPO 'books', whatever. I never shut up about this stuff. P

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#16 - 2012-08-31 03:04:17 UTC
Revolution Rising wrote:
Seleene wrote:

Heh. You can bait all you wish with comments about 'pull', but Mittens was hardly alone in his desire or push for a supercap nerf. I'd also like to say, with just a bit of irony, that your argument is backwards. When you talk about 'text editing development', that actually would apply to the supercap nerf (things like gun tracking) and not to changing grav sites or of the other industry-related things that many people want to see happen.

As for being all "BFF", aside from the idiocy surrounding the Unified Inventory release (which the CSM gave the people responsible for no small amount of ****), we've seen little reason to rage at CCP over things that are not yet set in stone one way or the other. There are lots of things being tossed about with regard to what will or won't make it in for winter and that is still very much in the works.


Just on this, people have to wonder at the context of the CSM.

Does the CSM guide CCP on many issues or are you guided by CCP to comment on what they are going to do next ?


I'm not going to say that the CSM "guides" CCP anymore than CCP can tell us what to say. It doesn't work like that. The CSM doesn't just get to go to CCP and point the finger and make them jump. We don't get to play shuffleboard with expansions or reassign whole dev teams to new projects or fire the guy you don't like because he crimped your style. I know a lot of players assume we have superpowers, but we don't. We currently can see to it that an idea gets put in CCP's hands, we can help them improve the projects they are already working on, and make *suggestions* as to what comes next.

What IS working and what CSM 7 is starting to see the benefits of is actually being part of the 'Stakeholder' process. This is something we are right in the middle of and that I'll be detailing as soon as things get a bit further along.

Revolution Rising wrote:
Surely this is basic stuff ? It's not some "bait" it's a reasonable concern.

Do you not see changes to the industry side of the game not taking place for 10 years not at least as big a **** up as the unified inventory ?


Yeah, your previous comment about Supercaps was pretty much 'bait'. This question is not, yet comparing it to the U.I. debacle is disingenuous because updating / improving one of the pillar mechanics of EVE gameplay is a bit larger of a project. In that sense, OFC it's a **** up. You don't need me to ~answer~ this question because you know exactly what I think about it. Repeating myself just for the sake of words on a screen doesn't make my desire for these changes any more real.

2004-2008: Mercenary Coalition Boss

2007-2010: CCP Game Designer | 2011-2013: CSM6 Delegate & CSM7 Chairman

2011-2015: Pandemic Legionnaire

2015- : Mercenary Coalition Boss

Follow Seleene on Twitter!

Revolution Rising
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2012-08-31 03:45:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Revolution Rising
Seleene wrote:
Revolution Rising wrote:
Surely this is basic stuff ? It's not some "bait" it's a reasonable concern.

Do you not see changes to the industry side of the game not taking place for 10 years not at least as big a **** up as the unified inventory ?


Yeah, your previous comment about Supercaps was pretty much 'bait'. This question is not, yet comparing it to the U.I. debacle is disingenuous because updating / improving one of the pillar mechanics of EVE gameplay is a bit larger of a project. In that sense, OFC it's a **** up. You don't need me to ~answer~ this question because you know exactly what I think about it. Repeating myself just for the sake of words on a screen doesn't make my desire for these changes any more real.


Totally disagree, I find the inventory problem a **** up sure. However, I equally find the mining profession as a whole having zero change to it for 10 years an equal **** up. The context of the game mechanics might be different, but the level of **** up is the same.

So back to the actual issues I was talking about - Spodumain, 75% refinery.

Can we expect to see this in minutes or some documented proposed changes to CCP before the winter expansion ?

I really find these 2 issues to be tiny changes that could have far reaching impact on the profession. Living out of a POS is far more likely for a miner who doesn't NEED capital ships, and a plethora of PVP ships at his reach. However, the 25% off the top makes it non-viable. The spodumain is just a ridiculous problem that you pay for with ihub upgrades or wait a million years in low-sec to find and then be disappointed by.

I cannot for the love of Bob (thanks Frying) understand how they are not a "no brainer" for CSM/CCP.

And yes I've considered a no tax refinery at a POS might be an issue with many, some interim solution should be worked out as I would assume they could rebuild the refinery altogether the following year for the POS rework.

Perhaps just give it a corporate ore hold and allow the corp to tax the miners that way in the interim - just a suggestion.

.

Frying Doom
#18 - 2012-08-31 05:20:45 UTC
Just saw this on twitter so at least they seem to be getting us closer to less suck in industry

"CCP Tardsauce ‏

TODO: Disable post-invent dialog box (success/fail [CLICK OK]) so can batch-deliver invent jobs w/ less tedium "

Awesome Smile

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Revolution Rising
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2012-08-31 07:13:04 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Just saw this on twitter so at least they seem to be getting us closer to less suck in industry

"CCP Tardsauce ‏

TODO: Disable post-invent dialog box (success/fail [CLICK OK]) so can batch-deliver invent jobs w/ less tedium "

Awesome Smile


Yeah I think batch install is just as important to allow scalability.

.

rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#20 - 2012-08-31 07:18:09 UTC
I should say thanks to Seleene for his reply and how nice it was, but just wanted to say

Once again Rev, with you not linking youtube videos from the early Adam Sandler acting career. You are ruining valuable communication time, and are not expressing yourself to the fullest.

If he is annoying you too much Seleene, just evemail him some spodumain for him to really dig into for a week or a few months.

I would like to ask more questions about the winter expansion, but I feel most of it would be NDA or what not. So I shall have to wait and see what comes up.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

123Next pageLast page