These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

New Player Protection

First post
Author
Kathleen Nolan
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-08-09 16:34:34 UTC
ok so, I'm new to this but posting with my main. I have nothing to hide.

I trialed this game a few weeks ago, and saw a thread in these same hallowed forums by a dude named TankCEO, who I did not know.

the guy promised mad ISK- he would send hundreds of millions of ISK if you abandoned your current trial and restarted n one created by him. the idea is that if he refers you andyou turn the referral into a paid sub, CCP give him rewards. far greater than those passed on to me, but that's no biggie. it's just Business, and that's ok. but TankCEO offered one more thing (not just lots of golds, but 'my secret to making billions ingame), and yesterday he divulged this secret to me:

Quote:
Get rich first, then go play in pvp. Always good to have more than 1 account/character.

this is hardly revolutionary thinking now is it? this seems fairly generic 5yr-old economics. 'keep income generation a priority and then combat later'. I learnt this playing Command & Conquer in 1996! Plus, the secret was sold as 'how to get rich', yet the first three words of his email gloss over that
Braxus Deninard
Hard Knocks Inc.
Hard Knocks Citizens
#2 - 2012-08-09 16:42:08 UTC
Are you really surprised? This is EvE, lying and scamming is part of the game.
Singulis Pacifica
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-08-09 16:43:36 UTC
It's not new information, no. However, one can make a decent income doing Factional Warfare. I've heard people being able to generate around a billion per day. With that being said though, these players are experienced and have lots of ISK to back them. New players should focus on PvE first to understand the feeling of the game and then broaden their horizon with the PvP content.

The cheapest form of PvP is Red vs. Blue as the major brawls only involve frigates and cruisers, which are cheap to purchase and fit.

Cameron Zero
Sebiestor Tribe
#4 - 2012-08-09 17:08:19 UTC
Singulis Pacifica wrote:
The cheapest form of PvP is Red vs. Blue as the major brawls only involve frigates and cruisers, which are cheap to purchase and fit.

It might be "cheaper" than other kinds of PVP, but it's still not cheap by any stretch of the imagination (depending on your definition, of course). As a new player, you can probably expect to spend/lose 10m ISK a day (or more), and that's just T1M0 fitted frigates. :)

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. …"

Velarra
#5 - 2012-08-09 17:21:34 UTC
Singulis Pacifica wrote:
New players should focus on PvE first to understand the feeling of the game and then broaden their horizon with the PvP content.

Unfortunately the PVE content at best only flirts with being vaguely similar to PVP. At worst, it teaches unfortunate fitting techniques that while fine for PVE turn ships into both loot balloons as well as unable to effectively PVP. They're two separate worlds and when ever they interact directly, someone typically loses a ship.
Kathleen Nolan
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-08-09 18:12:19 UTC
I think my point is more that I found this TankCEO clown in a gm-created thred. ccp encourage scamming new people?
Toaulk Rokbyter
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-08-09 18:12:38 UTC
Kathleen,

Anyone promising you rewards for subbing under their invite is scamming you. They will gladly take the full reward and block you so they dont' have to listen to you again.

As for the "get rich first, then go play in pvp", that can be true... however, it isn't always. If you enjoy PVP, a lot of times 0.0 is how you find your riches without first raking your eyes out studying the market or shooting rocks....

Want to get rich in Eve? Figure out what you enjoy doing it, and become REALLY good at it.
Cameron Zero
Sebiestor Tribe
#8 - 2012-08-09 18:30:54 UTC
Kathleen Nolan wrote:
I think my point is more that I found this TankCEO clown in a gm-created thred. ccp encourage scamming new people?

There are people who would say, "Yes" and there are people who would say, "No."

Sadly, CCP can't really control what Player X does/does not do when they make "deals" like this. Best you can do is learn from it and move on.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. …"

Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#9 - 2012-08-09 18:34:12 UTC
Quote:
As a new player, you can probably expect to spend/lose 10m ISK a day (or more), and that's just T1M0 fitted frigates. :)

After insurance I can't imagine a T1 meta-0 frigate costing more than 500k. It's hard to lose 20 ships in a day.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#10 - 2012-08-09 18:59:37 UTC
Kathleen Nolan wrote:

"Encourage" isn't perhaps the word, but CCP regard in-game scamming as player interaction, any issues from which it's up to players to resolve. The only major exception is character trade scams, which are not tolreated.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Cameron Zero
Sebiestor Tribe
#11 - 2012-08-09 19:54:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Cameron Zero
Kahega Amielden wrote:
Quote:
As a new player, you can probably expect to spend/lose 10m ISK a day (or more), and that's just T1M0 fitted frigates. :)

After insurance I can't imagine a T1 meta-0 frigate costing more than 500k. It's hard to lose 20 ships in a day.

Stupid forums ate my response.

I said, "After you've been in awhile, you can qualify for free frigate hulls which means that with insurance, they're practically free."

Oraac Ensor
#12 - 2012-08-09 20:05:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Oraac Ensor
Toaulk Rokbyter wrote:
Anyone promising you rewards for subbing under their invite is scamming you. They will gladly take the full reward and block you so they dont' have to listen to you again.

Wrong.

Offers of that sort are only allowed in the Buddy invites and rewards from other players thread, where scamming is absolutely forbidden.

Amongst the rules for that thread are the following:

Quote:
- Offers to send a 21-day Buddy Program trial invite are allowed only in this forum thread. All other threads will be considered advertising and locked.

- Absolutely no discussions of the offers made by other players are allowed.

- Any forms of scamming are prohibited and will be dealt with by EVE Online customer support. These are transactions which affect new subscriptions and scamming may result in action being taken on your account.

Edit: I suspect that my second quote probably also applies to the forums in general.
Kathleen Nolan
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-08-09 21:37:24 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Kathleen Nolan wrote:

"Encourage" isn't perhaps the word, but CCP regard in-game scamming as player interaction, any issues from which it's up to players to resolve. The only major exception is character trade scams, which are not tolreated.

but this offer was found in a forum thread created by a CCP staff member
Fairren
HellrisCorp
#14 - 2012-08-09 21:59:19 UTC
Kathleen Nolan wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Kathleen Nolan wrote:

Unless it was the Buddy Invite thread that is stickied here, he isn't supposed to do that.
J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#15 - 2012-08-09 22:08:19 UTC
Kathleen Nolan wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Kathleen Nolan wrote:

1.) That CCP member made a sticky post to collect all the buddy invite offers. Before that everybody and their mom was spamming this forum part with their offer in seperate threads, which made it this forum a total mess.

All CCP did was combine and moderate all those seperate threads into 1 sticky. All offers etc are all player made offers and CCP has nothing to do with it.

2.) Scamming using the buddy invite isn't allowed. If you were scammed or you believe you were, petition it (using the F12 menu in game) and let CCP take a look at it. It will resolve any problems and if it was a non-allowed form of scamming the person who invited you will be punished.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Keno Skir
#16 - 2012-08-10 01:48:23 UTC
Toaulk Rokbyter wrote:
Anyone promising you rewards for subbing under their invite is scamming you.

Don't talk such generalised rubbish, there is no basis of fact in that comment.

Many will help out, it is even considered a real crime by CCP when someone is scammed by the buddy trial system. It has nothing to do with being on the right forum, it's in the buddy trial agreement info and the EvE eula.

Problem here is that TankCEO offers something in-tangible as reward. If it was money you either did or did not recieve it, this is shown easily in wallet logs. If it was a reward plex, same thing he either did or did not follow on his word and this is easy to prove one way or another. Tank however offers some intangible answer as reward, and that's something that cannot be disproven. He may not have told you in as detailed a way as you had hoped or expected (as you rightly should), but on paper he technically did provide you with "info on how to become rich" even if it was actually a total rip-off.

If you would like to discuss some options open to you and want an actual conversation instead of a brush off mail, contact me in game any time you see me online. I'm not the master but i do play EvE a lot like most here :D
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#17 - 2012-08-10 02:46:20 UTC
buying and selling secrets is an interesting business. and I have to say when it comes to video games there tend to be very few actual secrets, as people love posting everything they know all over the internet.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Radius Prime
Tax Evading Ass.
#18 - 2012-08-10 15:02:59 UTC
You been scammed. Happens, don't let it get to you and take it a learning experience. Do not trust anyone of the bat in EVE. Not even your corp or CEO. Do not be gullible. If someone seems too nice or something is too good to be true it probably is. Approach people with care as you would in real life. Also check who you are dealing with. Few older player mean well when dealing with green players. Sticking with socially similar players (character age , questions) is always a good idea at first. If a young account seems all knowing he is probably an alt so be cautious with trust again.

If you want to learn from corp without trust issues and with people who actually have your best interest at heart or just to make some in game friends of your pilot age, experience , try eve university.

Good luck and fly safe o/

Reopen the EVE gate so we can invade Serenity. Goons can go first.

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#19 - 2012-08-10 18:43:00 UTC
Kahega Amielden wrote:
It's hard to lose 20 ships in a day.

Is that a challenge?

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Jim Era
#20 - 2012-08-10 19:07:04 UTC
You don't need to PVE to start out, lots of players that do that end up bored and quit. Go **** **** up immediately!

Wat™

12Next page