These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
2 Pages12Next page

Halaima Miner Bumping - REPORT #4 - Shareholder Vote! KINO wins!

Author
CODE.
#1 - 2012-08-04 19:11:37 UTC  |  Edited by: James 315
It's voting time again, and I have some serious news to report. The New Order of Highsec has no choice but to launch a Forever War against the forces of chaos and misery. Get yourself some coffee and/or crackers and we'll chat about that stuff, and then vote on how to initiate our next expansion.

OVERVIEW

I am a professional bumper and the Father of the New Order. I was elected Supreme Protector of Halaima and Kamio, two highsec ice mining systems near Jita. I require miners to follow the New Halaima Code of Conduct, which--among other things--calls for a 10 million isk mining fee to be paid each year. If miners fail to pay, they risk being bumped out of range and losing their ability to mine. Now that the pleasantries are out of the way, have some links.

Previous threads:
I have taken command of the Halaima ice field: An exciting business opportunity!
Halaima Miner Bumping IPO -- Round 1
Halaima Miner Bumping IPO -- Round 2
Halaima Miner Bumping -- SHAREHOLDER REPORT #1 -- 230,000.00 % profit margin!
Halaima Miner Bumping SHAREHOLDER REPORT #2 UNANIMOUS! We're going to Kamio!
Halaima Miner Bumping IPO -- Round 3
Halaima Miner Bumping - SHAREHOLDER REPORT #3 - The Dawn of a New Kamio

Artwork by Sun Win:
HOPE
MERCY

EXPENDITURE AND PROFIT REPORT

Revenues:
366,100,000 in mining permits
88,000,000 in loot of fallen enemies
1,080,000,000 in miscellaneous donations*

Expenses:
126,000 for secure containers

Profit:

Profit Margin:
1,217,439.68 %

MINER BUMPING ECONOMIC POWER INDEX

The MBEPI is calculated by adding the profit plus all sales of stock thus far. This provides you an idea of the total resources upon which our enterprise can currently draw.

Stock Sales:

Miner Bumping Economic Power Index

KAMIO BREAKS

Last time, I wrote extensively of the resistance we met from the Kamio miners. When I arrived in that system, they were confident of victory. They would organize the miners, refuse to pay for mining permits, starve the New Order of isk, and send their Supreme Protector packing. Kamio miners styled themselves a cut above their Halaima cousins who had paid; Kamio would succeed where its neighbors failed.

At first, they presented themselves as a stone wall. During the period covered by Shareholder Report #3, none of the Kamio miners would pay a single isk. They used the New Halaima Code of Conduct as toilet paper.

But as I always say, the bumping business is a marathon, not a sprint. To my friends in nullsec, I want to explain that everything is inverted where the New Order is concerned. In a nullsec war, you blitzkrieg. You show up with a ton of ships, swat away the enemy fleet, bring in the supercaps, grind the structures, and take sovereignty. The faster you conquer stations, the better--your enemies lose strength and cohesion, and they can't do what it takes to reclaim sovereignty.

In the New Order of Highsec, everything is a matter of time and pressure. It's a slow, erosive process. Day by day, week by week, month by month, year by year. A spectacular show of force on Tuesday doesn't matter to a miner who shows up in the ice field for the first time on Wednesday. If the system is unpersuaded by your bumping session today, the answer is more bumping tomorrow. And the next day, and the next... In time, you break through.

In the period covered by this Shareholder Report, the miners of Kamio began to break down--no different than Halaima. I collected 95 million in mining fees, much of which came from miners who earlier had insisted they would "never" pay. There is no "never" in the New Order. In the fullness of time, everyone will join us.

* * * (Proceed to section 2.) * * *
CODE.
#2 - 2012-08-04 19:12:58 UTC
AGENTS OF THE NEW ORDER

In addition to the breakthrough in mining fees, this period also saw a welcome increase in the number of supporters of our great vision. I'm not speaking in terms of isk--stock was not for sale during this time. But there was definitely a spike in EVEmails, local shout-outs, and private convos in which players contacted me to pledge their support. By the end of the period it was only with heroic effort that I could simultaneously juggle the convos, answer EVEmails, bump miners and share my philosophy with said miners in local.

Some supporters saw fit to make the pilgrimage to New Order territory and lend a hand. From what I have seen and heard, the local miners have failed to show hospitality toward these guests. I was told that Lady BlahBlah, whom I mentioned in the previous Shareholder Report, has continued to bump miners in Halaima and Kamio and demand isk. As always, miners accuse everyone who doesn't hate me of being my alt: A highsec miner's capacity for self-deception is limitless. One miner told me that he called Lady BlahBlah "James 315 in drag," and Lady bumped him for the insult.

I also received requests for ship and fitting advice from aspiring bumpers. Take, for example, Greenmachine Sale. His alt's bio says it all: "Greenmachine is the name and doubling isk is my game." Clearly, this man is a model citizen of highsec. Tiring of the isk-doubling business, he came to Halaima to experience the blessings of the New Order. He didn't have the skills to pilot a stabber. But under my watchful eye, he cut his teeth using a blackbird to push some miners out of mining range.

Before long, he had the zeal of the newly-converted.

Later, he graduated to flying a bumping stabber and reported he was getting a lot of blowback from the miners in Halaima, many of whom accused him of being my alt. By now, it must be said that an accusation that you are an alt of the Supreme Protector--it's a supreme compliment. Other miners had the wisdom to discern a disturbing trend could be afoot in New Order territory, and I received the following EVEmail:

Mo' bumpers, mo' problems.

I have also sought to build relationships with those in the suicide ganker community. Having been alienated by the miners they spar with, many gankers find the idea of a change in the status quo attractive. One such ganker, Neltharak Idrissil, paid a visit to Halaima. Since gankers have many potential targets, it only makes sense to prioritize by striking those who refuse to follow the New Halaima Code of Conduct. The miners were warned. But a trio of mackinaws and an orca piloted by an obstinate miner refused and spoke ill of their Supreme Protector.

One of the mackinaws came under attack.

The mackinaw managed to survive the gank attempt. Shaken, the miner and her alts docked up and vowed to find another place to mine. She chose poorly. I was already bumping other miners in Kamio when she arrived at her new home. Having repeatedly vowed in the past never to pay, she relented and purchased permission to mine. Word spread: The bumping and ganking communities are united.

* * * (Proceed to section 3.) * * *
CODE.
#3 - 2012-08-04 19:13:46 UTC
STAB IN THE BACK ATTACK

During the period covered by this Report, I am pleased to say that not a single player attempted to destroy my Invincible Stabber. There were a few that gave me the ol' "carebear stare" by locking without firing, but no one tried to strike me. Perhaps they are learning.

Yet I must interrupt the so-far triumphant Report to relate a very disturbing incident, one that has implications for our future. I have received word--and have, so far as I can, investigated to confirm its veracity--that the New Order was recently the target of an outrageous, cowardly attack. Due to the bizarre nature of the incident in question, I beg your pardon as I do my best to relate the details.

The attack took place while I was offline being awesome somewhere else. I only learned of it thanks to the diligent effort of R0me0 Charl1e, who witnessed it, intervened, and traded EVEmails back and forth with me as we tried to figure out exactly what took place. R0me0 is a shareholder in the miner bumping business and has always given me accurate information, so I knew I had to take his report seriously. Here is what happened:

R0me0 was in Kamio when he saw someone say in local that he was going to destroy some cans. R0me0's instinct was correct: The attacker was referring to the seven small secure containers that I had anchored 150km from the ice field to announce my ownership of the system. According to R0me0, five members of the "Deathpitt Pants" corporation were involved in this attack, and he was able to provide me with their names: arn plunder, Jean-Luke Picard, Katherine Bruder, sarah mason, and Valda Galene.

R0me0 saw some of these assailants in destroyers smartbombing the containers. Concord did not respond for some reason, so R0me0 flew over toward them, forcing them to stop smartbombing--if they hit R0me0's ship, Concord would definitely respond. Thwarted, one of the other destroyers shot at R0me0 and got Concorded for his trouble. After continuing to block the smartbombing destroyer for about ten minutes, another member of the gang showed up in an osprey and smartbombed a can further down the line. R0me0 flew between the destroyer and the osprey, forcing them both to stop. Then an extraordinary thing occurred.

The fifth member of the gang, sarah mason, warped to the cans in a vindicator--a faction variant of the megathron-class battleship, worth approximately 1 billion isk. R0me0 raced toward the vindicator as it fired its own smartbombs. R0me0 got in range of the bombs, triggering a Concord response that doomed the vindicator.

When I first read this report, nothing about it made sense. First of all, I knew from experience that smartbombs do not damage containers and wrecks. Second, my understanding has always been--and I believe it is conventional wisdom--that if you do smartbomb a non-war target container/wreck in highsec, it will nevertheless trigger Concord. (During my orca hunt, I always positioned myself just out of range of neutral containers so I could smartbomb the miners' pods.) Third, why would anyone put a smartbomb on a destroyer? And most importantly, why would someone risk suiciding a vindicator to attack some 9,000 isk cans?

I asked R0me0 to confirm that the smartbombs had damaged the containers and had not triggered Concord--possibly there was some kind of exploit in use. He could confirm Concord had not been triggered by the attackers' use of smartbombs against the cans, but could not say whether the cans had been damaged. He also remembered seeing some Concord wrecks of destroyers, so possibly the attackers had originally attempted to shoot the containers.

Upon further investigation, we discovered that in fact Concord is not triggered by smartbombing neutral cans. But nor are the cans damaged by the bombs in any way. I then went to Kamio to see if there was any evidence of the attack.

Three of the containers had slight damage, and a fourth had significant damage.

Unlike giant secure containers, which are essentially indestructible in highsec, smalls have 50,000 structure hitpoints. As best as I can tell, the attackers originally used a destroyer or two to shoot the most damaged container. After Concord was called, they then tried shooting the other three containers with damage, but were quickly blocked by Concord, so only a sliver was inflicted.

Then, perhaps because smartbombs could theoretically hit multiple cans, and because smartbombs can be used while Concord jams you, one of them fit a small smartbomb to a ship and tried dealing with the containers that way. Upon finding a lack of Concord response, he invited his corpmates to join in. It's possible that because the containers already had a little damage, and because he was using a small smartbomb, he may not have realized he was failing to do damage. R0me0's efforts to block them may have heightened their resolve to carry forward with the mad plot. Then came the vindicator with the large smartbombs, assuming he was safe from Concord.

* * * (Proceed to section 4.) * * *

CODE.
#4 - 2012-08-04 19:14:17 UTC
ANGER TURNS TO RESOLVE

In all my years in EVE, I have never heard of such a craven, twisted, unnatural act as this. We can only speculate what could drive someone to commit such a heinous, senseless crime. At the end of the day, we may have to accept that there is no explanation.

Compounding the anger and helplessness of the situation is the fact that those containers were anchored there for the benefit of the miners, to provide them with warnings and information about the new regime. Trying to pop those cans is like bombing a hospital. It's sheer, unadulterated lunacy. And they did it under the cover of night, when I wasn't there to protect the cans or try to reason with the attackers.

I know what you're all thinking. This attack is Pearl Harbor, 9/11, the sinking of the Maine and the Lusitania, the Ems and Zimmerman telegrams, and the Reichstag fire all rolled into one. It demands a response.

There will be a response.

But it will be a measured one. Rather than lashing out in anger, as we may be tempted, we will carry out a response aimed at solving the underlying problem. Clearly, the problem is that outside the New Order's two systems, we see a highsec in total chaos. Destructive influences like Deathpitt Pants come in from beyond our borders and wreak havoc. Violations of the Code anywhere in highsec pose a threat to our own territory. As a matter of self-defense, we must therefore pacify and bring order to the rest of highsec. Happily, civilizing highsec will also benefit everyone else, because they will be liberated from their preexisting, counterproductive worldviews.

Using the emergency powers granted me as Father of the New Order and Saviour of Highsec, I hereby declare a Forever War against all highsec and announce my intention to, in the long-term, annex all highsec systems into the New Order.

Now it's time to vote on where we begin.

SHAREHOLDER VOTE ON THE PLAN

I currently estimate that the process of conquering highsec will take approximately eight years. As Sun Tzu said, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. We will need to expand the territory of the New Order one ice mining system at a time. Please refer to this modified Dotlan map to aid you in discussion and voting for the plan:

Possible routes of expansion.

Uotila, Niarja, Sirseshin, and Kino are the four ice field systems nearest Halaima. Unlike some regions, there are few highsec ice mining systems in The Citadel. The New Order already claims two of these; the last one is Uotila. By coincidence, the other three ice mining systems nearby happen to be gateways into neighboring regions: Niarja (Domain), Sirseshin (The Forge), and Kino (Lonetrek).

To facilitate useful discussion, I will provide some background information about each of the four potential target systems. (As a side note, all of the non-ice systems along the route will also be annexed into the New Order, though obviously mining is less concentrated there.) The four systems are examined in alphabetical order:

Kino (Lonetrek)

Of the four, Kino is the farthest from the New Order's current territory: It is 4 jumps from Halaima and 5 from Kamio. According to my reconnaissance, it is also the most populated of the four, with probably as many ice miners as Kamio had when I arrived. Kino is also one of the few systems in highsec with two ice fields (most have exactly one). I do not anticipate a problem with miners trying to evade me by warping from one ice field to another, since they already have the ability to warp from one end of an ice field to another.

Niarja (Domain)

Arguably, Niarja is the closest to our current territory: 3 jumps from Halaima and only 2 from Kamio. Located in the Domain region, it would act as our gateway to Amarr empire space. It is only three jumps from the Amarr system, one of the biggest trade hubs in EVE. Sound good? Not so fast. From what I can tell, almost no ice mining occurs in Niarja: There is no station located there.

Sirseshin (The Forge)

Sirseshin is located 3 jumps from Kamio and 4 from Halaima. It is reasonably well-populated, though it's not home to as many ice miners as Kino. The Forge region is home to a large number of other ice mining systems, but not right next to Sirseshin.

Uotila (The Citadel)

The last of The Citadel's ice mining systems, Uotila is located 3 jumps from Halaima and 4 from Kamio. Its ice mining population is roughly equivalent to Sirseshin's. Uotila is a 0.6 security system, which may embolden gankers (the rest, aside from Niarja, are 0.7). The Supreme Protector is not worried, however.

* * * (Proceed to section 5.) * * *

CODE.
#5 - 2012-08-04 19:14:42 UTC  |  Edited by: James 315
VOTING PROCESS

Here's how this is going to work. The current shareholders will vote to determine which two ice mining systems will be brought under New Order jurisdiction next. Each shareholder will name a "primary" target and a "secondary" target. If you hold 10 shares, for example, the primary you named will get 10 points, the secondary 5 points. At the end of the voting period, I will tally the points. The system with the most points will be liberated first, and the second system will be liberated second. This vote will authorize me to act as Supreme Protector of the two target systems and all systems along the route from Halaima/Kamio to the target systems. However, the secondary target and the systems on its route may not be officially annexed for some time.

The voting period will last 48 hours from the time of this posting, but you should not feel the need to vote immediately. You may wish to engage in some discussion in this thread about the strategic merits of going for one system or another first. I will also allow you to change your vote during the period in case the discussion causes you to change your mind; votes will only be tallied after the 48 hours are up.

You may vote with a reply in this thread, or you can send me an EVEmail. As always, those who do not own shares will not be able to vote, but are free to offer their thoughts in the thread. Again, for reference, here's the modified Dotlan map.

PLEASE SELECT A PRIMARY TARGET AND A SECONDARY TARGET:

- Kino
- Niarja
- Sirseshin
- Uotila

If you do not wish to vote, you may ABSTAIN.

Voting Period

This measure will be open for voting until August 6 at 19:30 EVE time.

Current Shareholders (2,830 total shares)

Theangryhobo -- 727 shares
R0me0 Charl1e -- 510 shares
Revnan Gregwell -- 200 shares
Tash Avrat -- 200 shares
Caelis Boirelle -- 100 shares
Jori McKie -- 100 shares
Rykker Bow -- 100 shares
Shiule Hanaya -- 100 shares*
terzslave -- 100 shares
Umaga -- 100 shares
Viivi Brisvalis -- 100 shares
Mortimer Montague -- 50 shares
Paul Casey -- 50 shares
Tabane Shinonono -- 50 shares
Zelous Mandible -- 50 shares
Qaren Otsolen -- 30 shares
Jocindus -- 25 shares
Campl3r Athonille -- 20 shares
CorInaXeraL -- 20 shares
Drago Wolfbane Skorvalk -- 20 shares
Nathan Omega -- 20 shares
Private Pineapple -- 19 shares
Mungug -- 15 shares
Tecear -- 15 shares
Bubbles Vuld -- 10 shares
Charles Baker -- 10 shares
Haulter -- 10 shares
Havoc Zealot -- 10 shares
Kailean -- 10 shares
Max Wager -- 10 shares
missus rockhunter -- 10 shares
Sun Win -- 10 shares
BadAssMcKill -- 5 shares
Darth Gustav -- 5 shares
Malick Andedare -- 5 shares
Richard Sole -- 5 shares
Collin Dow -- 2 shares
Angelis666 -- 1 share
EnslaverOfMinmatar -- 1 share
Gargamel en Cedoulain -- 1 share
Kael Attrell -- 1 share
Kuehnelt -- 1 share
Marcion Cravik -- 1 share
Matries -- 1 share

* This investor has an order for additional shares, but they will not be purchased until stock is open for sale again.

VOTE RESULTS

Kino: 1,605 points
Uotila: 1,324 points
Niarja: 200 points
Sirseshin: 5 points
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-08-04 19:34:17 UTC
Primary: Uotila
Secondary: Kino

I feel that systems completely within the forge should be pacified prior to systems leading into the rest of highsec.

The Glorious Revolution is a great (awful) corp, and you should (not) join today, comrade!

Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-08-04 19:39:43 UTC
Primary: Kino
Secondary: Sirseshin
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2012-08-04 19:46:36 UTC
Primary: Kino
Secondary: Uotila

#9 - 2012-08-04 19:53:30 UTC
#10 - 2012-08-04 20:04:09 UTC
Primary - Kino
Secondary - Uotila
#11 - 2012-08-04 21:25:28 UTC
Primary: Niarja
#12 - 2012-08-04 22:42:05 UTC
Primary: Uotila

Also I will release this screenshot of the attack against the containers in Kamio. This helped me to tell James of the attack in detail. Sadly it doesn't show the smart-bombing of the containers, but it gives you an sense of what was going on.
#13 - 2012-08-05 00:10:10 UTC
Primary - Kino
Secondary - Uotila
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-08-05 00:31:57 UTC
Primary: Niarja
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-08-05 03:39:39 UTC
Primary : Uotila
Secondary : Kino

Silver Dragonz