These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Skill Unlocks: Dumbing Down EVE For a New Golden Age?

First post
Author
Suddenly Forums ForumKings
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-08-03 23:58:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Suddenly Forums ForumKings
http://community.eveonline.com/updates/patchnotes.asp

Quote:

Skill Unlocks
See what modules and ships are unlocked by various skills.

http://content.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/63110/1/Skill_unlocks.png

I don't see this as being new player friendly, I see it as treating new players like morons who can't do any research. Was showing info on a module you wanted to use to see what skills you needed too complicated?

EDIT: Also we appear to be dumbing down corp management

Quote:

Skills

Ethnic Relations skill changed into Diplomatic Relations and theold effect is replaced by a new one that decreases cost to hire allies in war.

Pankas Carter
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-08-04 00:02:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Pankas Carter
I fail to see how this will matter to anyone who doesn't want to use it.

EDIT for you EDIT:
Yea, because it totally make sense to make corporation management racist by default. I'm glad that's going away.

Adama: Starbuck, what do you hear? Starbuck: Nothing but the rain. Adama: Then grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#3 - 2012-08-04 00:02:27 UTC
No the problem is they don't know what module the skill effects in the first place.

This is like the skill explorer that EVEMon has and is a very welcome feature for both new and old players alike.

The Drake is a Lie

Vel'drinn
Sanguine Vipers
#4 - 2012-08-04 00:04:43 UTC
The average player doesn't look up info on a website to get info on features. The game should provide all that information for you.

There's a big difference between accessibility and dumbing things down. In this case, a new player might ask themselves, "What is the advantage to raising this particular skill?" This sort of feature answers the question just fine.
Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#5 - 2012-08-04 00:06:11 UTC
Pankas Carter wrote:
I fail to see how this will matter to anyone who doesn't want to use it.

EDIT for you EDIT:
Yea, because it totally make sense to make corporation management racist by default. I'm glad that's going away.

You know there's always some bitter cynical raging frustrated angry vet to tell a few wise words how changes are bad for the game, dumb it down, wow friendly yadayada...

brb

Skogen Gump
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-08-04 00:10:02 UTC
If you look around, one of the most common complaints about getting started in EVE is the complexity and mystery of the Skill tree; I see it as no bad thing to make it a wee bit more accessible.

Hell, I've been on this toon since 2004 and I still get lost in it.

Don't worry - I can't see this change being the driver that releases the hordes of Wow like players into our midst, watering down our beautiful game.
Scatim Helicon
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2012-08-04 00:10:29 UTC
'I had to crawl over broken glass and minefields in a blizzard to learn how Eve worked, all new and future players should be similarly punished and discouraged from playing'

OP is dumb. Don't be dumb, OP.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Natasha Mendel
Doomheim
#8 - 2012-08-04 00:15:30 UTC
Quote:
Ethnic Relations skill changed into Diplomatic Relations and theold effect is replaced by a new one that decreases cost to hire allies in war.

This is a good thing. I've never understood why corp CEOs are inherently racist.

Denidil
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-08-04 00:15:48 UTC
Yes, because putting essential information about the game into the in game UI is dumbing down eve. just like when they started having 0.0 show truesec.

Give me all your stuff OP.

Tedium and difficulty are not the same thing, if you don't realize this then STFU about game design.

Doomheim
#10 - 2012-08-04 00:16:59 UTC
Denidil wrote:
Yes, because putting essential information about the game into the in game UI is dumbing down eve. just like when they started having 0.0 show truesec.

I've played since 2007.

That info is not essential.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2012-08-04 00:17:00 UTC
Never go full ****** OP.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Doomheim
#12 - 2012-08-04 00:18:39 UTC
Natasha Mendel wrote:
Quote:

This is a good thing. I've never understood why corp CEOs are inherently racist.

Read the old lore and chronicles from the beginning of EVE. Empires don't exactly trust each other.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#13 - 2012-08-04 00:19:40 UTC
Any improvements to the minefield of the skill tree is welcome.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#14 - 2012-08-04 00:19:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Roll Sizzle Beef
Suddenly Forums ForumKings wrote:

Read the old lore and chronicles from the beginning of EVE. Empires don't exactly trust each other.

We are the lore now. We are our own empires.
Frying Doom
#15 - 2012-08-04 00:22:49 UTC
Natasha Mendel wrote:
Quote:

No they don't but players are hardly Empires. The skill just forced CEO's to be racist, until they trained not to be.

Hell you can have that skill at 5 and still say "Nope sorry no Minmatar slaves are joining this corp."
Not really a lot of point in it, It should be more of a CEO's choice not a skill book.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#16 - 2012-08-04 00:24:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Denidil wrote:

I've played since 2007.

That info is not essential.

To you it may not be essential, after 5 years I should damn well hope you know your way around the skill tree, for people with zero or little experience of Eve I would say it's going to be a great help.

CCP are in business to make money, the more people that play Eve the more money they make.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Eternus8lux8lucis
Primus Inc.
LEGIO ASTARTES ARCANUM
#17 - 2012-08-04 00:26:34 UTC
6 of one half a dozen of the other.

I liked the complexity and the stumbling fumbling around in the dark aspect. Sure it meant missing out on a lot of the top end in the beginning so sure its dumbing it down in that sense.

On the other hand someone that isnt going to do the research outside wont do it inside either so putting that information anywhere wont help the vast majority nor will they still understand WHY they need to train a certain skill either for a module or another skill tree until they get the knowledge. That knowledge will only come in time or theyll just be robots and mimic whatever "programming" theyve had from friends, peers or corporate/alliance leadership in terms of what to do and when to do it.

So imo doesnt matter much in the long run.

Besides OP if they dumb the game down and get the WoW kiddies in here itll mean WAY more targets... way more STUPID targets. Remember only the strong survive.Twisted

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Rek Seven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2012-08-04 00:30:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
what a stupid post. This makes the game more accessible not dumbed down.

Having to use Google and a wiki to learn how to play a game is not gameplay. It's immersion breaking and a lazy development practice.
Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#19 - 2012-08-04 00:31:15 UTC
I don't get why people object to these kinds of changes. It doesn't dumb the game down a single bit unless you think that EVEMon is a crutch.

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Adalynne Rohks
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-08-04 00:31:38 UTC
http://community.eveonline.com/updates/patchnotes.asp

Quote:

Skill Unlocks
See what modules and ships are unlocked by various skills.

http://content.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/63110/1/Skill_unlocks.png

I don't see this as being new player friendly, I see it as treating new players like morons who can't do any research. Was showing info on a module you wanted to use to see what skills you needed too complicated?

EDIT: Also we appear to be dumbing down corp management

Quote:

Skills

Have you made a single post in the last 2 weeks, where you haven't been crying about something?
123Next pageLast page