These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

How to speed up skills or use them right away?

Author
Hera Li
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-07-11 01:17:35 UTC
On my adventure through EVE I have found that I cannot do anything I want to do becuase skill training takes way too long. I can either jetcan mine for the 2 next month or quest for the next 2 months. Both, I find incredibly boring. PVP was completely pointless because I kept losing frigates and destroyers to much, much bigger ships. It literally took me a month to get a skythe, equip it for mining, and use it. Only to find that it was a crappy ship to mine in, better than my destroyer, but only took 1min to fill the cargo hold. The next jump from that was more than 3 weeks out, and only had a 4min cargo-hold. I unsubbed when I saw that. How do I use skills when I get them rather than put them on layway? I want to PLAY this game the way everybody else gets to, not wait several months for it to get fun.
Tia Unger
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-07-11 01:35:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Tia Unger
I dont pvp much on my mains but I do on my alt that i just made oh.. 3 weeks ago. Gave him a full week of training and put this one on hold.

Took him out to .3 and lost my first frig (I was ratting, not set for pvp) next two pvp encounters .. one against a frig one a cruiser I won. Yes with a 3 week old character and all T1 equip in a Punisher. Point being you CAN pvp and even other things like low sec ratting with a new character

Now to be fair. the Frig almost wasted me and i think I only won because he was also being attacked by a couple rats (hey i dont fight fare.. not like i was going to wait for him to finish) but still just the same it can be done. Don't fret too much about skills they are needed and they help but you are viable with a new character too

EDIT:

On one thing i forgot. do try to focus on one goal at first it helps a lot to get you on the path. Me, i like to spread skills all over and get in to a bit of everything but if you want to get going faster focus on one thing..

If for example you want to run missions, decide what ship you want to use and shoot for the related skills dont branch out till later.
Aeryn Banks
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-07-11 01:38:51 UTC
Good day!

Simple answer to your post:- Train Cybernetics I, then plug in +2 / +3 implants. They will speed up skill training a bit.

Long answer:-

What is it that you actually want to do in EVE? Missioning? Then start with L1, do them in a T1 frigate until you get enough ISK and standing then buy a cruiser and start with L2 (all the while training your skills), and so on. Mining? Mine with a mining frigate/cruiser while you train for mining barges and eventually exhumers. PvP? You can PvP with minimal training in weapons, warp disruptors and support skills, all while training additional support skill/level.

Basically there's a low entry barrier into any aspect of this game, skill training only help to make yourself better at what you want to do.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#4 - 2012-07-11 01:54:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Hera Li wrote:
On my adventure through EVE I have found that I cannot do anything I want to do becuase skill training takes way too long. I can either jetcan mine for the 2 next month or quest for the next 2 months. Both, I find incredibly boring.

Then don't mine. Mining isn't an especially good way to earn ISK. Leave mining for those that enjoy it.

Hera Li wrote:
PVP was completely pointless because I kept losing frigates and destroyers to much, much bigger ships.

Then don't engage larger ships. One benefit of smaller ships against larger ships is that it is easier to run away.

Hera Li wrote:
It literally took me a month to get a skythe, equip it for mining, and use it. Only to find that it was a crappy ship to mine in, better than my destroyer, but only took 1min to fill the cargo hold. The next jump from that was more than 3 weeks out, and only had a 4min cargo-hold. I unsubbed when I saw that.

You give-up too easily. I doubt you will enjoy EVE.

Hera Li wrote:
How do I use skills when I get them rather than put them on layway? I want to PLAY this game the way everybody else gets to, not wait several months for it to get fun.

Start with doing stuff you enjoy (and finding out what you enjoy).

Next, stop worrying about skills so much. Train stuff that helps you have more fun NOW and not in X number of months. Slow down and enjoy the ride; you don't need a bigger ship to have fun.

Most importantly join a corp, as even a rookie ship roam in lowsec is tons of fun when you are doing it with friends. EVE is about interacting with other people, and you will be incredibly bored in short order if you don't.
Sugar Kyle
Middle Ground
#5 - 2012-07-11 02:07:38 UTC
Eve is very much what you make of it. You can play it at any time. Skills help and they make you more effective at some things but they don't limit you from playing. But, the game does call for some creativity and open minded thought. Because the game is open the lack of hand holding can cause a new player to flounder at first.

Sometimes people just do things like fly around to fly around and play in their ships because its fun. If you equate fun with skill points you will probably be miserable.

Eve is also a slow game with long plans. Very little is right now.

Member of CSM9 and CSM10.

Hera Li
Doomheim
#6 - 2012-07-11 02:15:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Hera Li
The problem with my PVP experience( which is all that I really want, questing is annoying and not what it should be) is that I have yet to run into people my level that are out to kill me. Its either a frigate noob I feel guilty killing, or a freakin tech II hurricane with all the fixings that I cant touch if I wanted to. Or worse, a small group of people protecting their miners, tho no miners in sight. I am extremely tired of waiting for skills. ISK is not the problem, I have found several trade routes, mine, resold ships I cant fly, and even had corp members donating to my cause. I have skill books I cant even start on for another month...i dont want to wait several months to fly a ship that is a standard for my corp, or longer since I have to train for other stuff like market, industry, and mining, and all things involving combat. On top of all of that, I have 2 other characters that cant train skills, making their progress impossible and their very existence an insult.
Ive been playing for a month and am tired of waiting to PLAY the way everybody else gets to.
Aeryn Banks
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-07-11 02:44:05 UTC
Hera Li wrote:
Ive been playing for a month and am tired of waiting to PLAY the way everybody else gets to.

Bolded the issue there Cool

Stop waiting to play the way EVERYBODY ELSE gets to.

Start playing the way YOU want to.
Zoe Athame
Don't Lose Your Way
#8 - 2012-07-11 03:26:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Zoe Athame
Redditors podjump into nullsec (if they join dreddit) or losec (if they join fweddit) on their first day.

The problem with new players and pvp is not lack of skillpoints, but lack of allies. It is so so so important to not just buy 30 rifters and lose them all but to buy them with 30 of your best friends and lose them together. DO NOT try to solo pvp right out of the box.

Join a group and enhance their fighting potential rather than waiting months for skillpoints to enhance your own.

(Because even when you have a navy megathron and officer mods, you're still going to get owned by a frigate gang ^^)
Oraac Ensor
#9 - 2012-07-11 07:31:29 UTC
Hera Li wrote:

You ARE playing like everyone else.

How do you think the rest of us got started?
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#10 - 2012-07-11 07:32:17 UTC
Hera Li wrote:
The problem with my PVP experience( which is all that I really want, questing is annoying and not what it should be) is that I have yet to run into people my level that are out to kill me.

Everyone in the game is your level. There's a lot of rock-paper-scissors, yes, but welcome to every MMO/shooter ever published. If you're waiting for someone with your exact ship using your exact fit to come along, you'll need to start organizing tournaments instead of going free-range, the whole _point_ of ranging for a fight is to run into a variety of ships and players.

Eve is player-driven, if you want a setup equivalent to dueling or instanced competition you'll have to set it up yourself with your friends. There are only rules if you form your own group and institute your own that they all agree to abide by, otherwise its a sandbox game.

Which you should have realized from the basic description on the box/Steam/whatever before you even installed the game, by the way, it's explicitly written in there. Y'know, if you're wondering why we're talking to you in small words as if you were an exceptionally stupid five-year-old.
Atreus Kadeyooh
Doomheim
#11 - 2012-07-11 07:39:20 UTC
Hera Li wrote:
The problem with my PVP experience( which is all that I really want, questing is annoying and not what it should be) is that I have yet to run into people my level that are out to kill me. Its either a frigate noob I feel guilty killing, or a freakin tech II hurricane with all the fixings that I cant touch if I wanted to. Or worse, a small group of people protecting their miners, tho no miners in sight. I am extremely tired of waiting for skills. ISK is not the problem, I have found several trade routes, mine, resold ships I cant fly, and even had corp members donating to my cause. I have skill books I cant even start on for another month...i dont want to wait several months to fly a ship that is a standard for my corp, or longer since I have to train for other stuff like market, industry, and mining, and all things involving combat. On top of all of that, I have 2 other characters that cant train skills, making their progress impossible and their very existence an insult.

EVE character bazaar: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=277
Pick up a ready-made PvP char at around 10-30mil SP.
Sell PLEX until you get the required ISK.
Close the deal.
Win.

Earning the real cash for the PLEXes will take you what, a day or two of work? I can earn those few EUR for a PLEX in roughly 15 minutes. Compared to waiting a year or so for ingame skills.

If you dont enjoy non-PvP aspects of EVE, get ready to buy PLEX often. PvP is very expensive and you will need to fund your habit somehow.

I very much doubt you will enjoy this game though - its about patience, spreadsheets, taking on challenges and being carried by a group of vets in your early months. You might want to look at GW2 instead.

J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-07-11 07:51:11 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Atreus Kadeyooh wrote:
Hera Li wrote:

EVE character bazaar: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=277
Pick up a ready-made PvP char at around 10-30mil SP.
Sell PLEX until you get the required ISK.
Close the deal.
Win.

Earning the real cash for the PLEXes will take you what, a day or two of work? I can earn those few EUR for a PLEX in roughly 15 minutes. Compared to waiting a year or so for ingame skills.

If you dont enjoy non-PvP aspects of EVE, get ready to buy PLEX often. PvP is very expensive and you will need to fund your habit somehow.

I very much doubt you will enjoy this game though - its about patience, spreadsheets, taking on challenges and being carried by a group of vets in your early months. You might want to look at GW2 instead.

I highly disagree doing that. You will end up with a character that can fly big ships, yet you don't know HOW to fly them. All it will end up with is loosing big ships instead of frigates.

As for OP, all those multi-million SP character started like you did.

And you are completely wrong:

1 week = you can be a hero tackler for a fleet
2 weeks = you can be a starting frigate PvP pilot
Beyond that it's slowly increasing in size

The MOST IMPORTANT thing in EVE is:

EVE is a MMO, get into a group to play with them. Solo PvP when your just starting is really hard (near impossible). Get into a corporation to help / guide you and you will have way more fun.

You are forgetting some important stuff though:

1.) Bigger =/= better. I can fly up to battleship sized stuff, yet the most fun fights are the smaller hulls. In battleship fleets you either win or loose cause you brought more friends / have way higher DPS / have way higher tank, in frigate actual skills (not SP but skills how to fly and how to engage) matter more.

2.) Pick your fights. Even frigates can win battles, you only need to know which battles to pick and which to run from.

3.) Play EVE the way YOU want, not how everybody else does. It's your money, not theirs. Also EVE doesn't have a clear end-game / best ship, so you just CAN'T compare your ships / skills to others.

4.) You won't catch up with older toons in raw SP, but by specializing you can become as good in ships. No matter if you have 5mil SP or 500mil SP, if you have your racial frigate skill trained to V you are as good as others. More SP usually only means more options to choose from.

5.) Play EVE the way you have FUN. If you don't like mining, don't mine. If you don't like running missions, don't run mission. *Mining and missions usually are only a way to get ISK to be able to PvP*

You think EVE is about instant and straight out of the box actions. Well it isn't, EVE is about patience, planning and longer term plans. If you already are finding skilling etc taking long, wait till you come to the point where 1 skills takes more then a month to train.

From the looks of it, EVE isn't your game. EVE has a small and selective type of player that sticks around, if your one of them, I don't know. You have to find out yourself.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Cyprus Black
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#13 - 2012-07-11 09:00:28 UTC
Welcome to the main problem with the New Player Experience.

It wasn't always this bad. Back on the day newbies started with 800,000 skillpoints and could do all sorts of things on day one. Then some "brilliant" CCP dev thought it would be better for new players if that starting SP was slashed by 93%. That's one hell of a nerf to new players. Ever since then, EvEs growth has been stunted and suffering.

Why did they nerf new player SP? Their reasoning was that it gave new players more freedom to decide how their character develops. Aparently with this freedom CCP imbued to new players, they used it to cancel their subscription, much like you have.

It's a very common complaint, one that has gone largely ignored by both CCP devs and the CSM.

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#14 - 2012-07-11 10:18:10 UTC
Cyprus Black wrote:
Welcome to the main problem with the New Player Experience.

It wasn't always this bad. Back on the day newbies started with 800,000 skillpoints and could do all sorts of things on day one. Then some "brilliant" CCP dev thought it would be better for new players if that starting SP was slashed by 93%. That's one hell of a nerf to new players. Ever since then, EvEs growth has been stunted and suffering.

Why did they nerf new player SP? Their reasoning was that it gave new players more freedom to decide how their character develops. Aparently with this freedom CCP imbued to new players, they used it to cancel their subscription, much like you have.

It's a very common complaint, one that has gone largely ignored by both CCP devs and the CSM.

You forget one of the major things with EVE.

Anything that benefits a New Player, benefits a veteran more.

More starting SP is nice for a new player, but it will also make it more easy (and common) for veterans to make another alt.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Marc Callan
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#15 - 2012-07-11 11:13:59 UTC
There are some long-standing corporations whose basic mission is to shepherd people through their early days. There's EVE University, http://www.eveuniversity.org, which runs classes in combat, industry, and support techniques, and provides services like loan-outs of mining ships, a ship replacement program, and so forth.

Then there's Red vs. Blue, http://www.rvbeve.com, http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Red_Vs_Blue_(RvB), which constitutes two corporations, Blue Republic and Red Federation, which are constantly at war, and go out in frigates and cruisers, roaming and brawling basically for the fun of it. I had some corpmates who ran with RVB for a while and had a blast.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

Tiberious Thessalonia
True Slave Foundations
Monyusaiya Industry Trade Group
#16 - 2012-07-11 14:08:41 UTC
Echoing the advice above: Find a corporation that does the sort of thing you want to do and join it. Playing this game solo is really not intended. The game only really opens up in what you can do when you have friends to do it with.

Make sure you aren't joining a corp that is just going to exploit you. If their only selling point is "hang out and have fun" they probably aren't going to accomplish anything.

It sounds like you want to PvP. RvB is an awesome way to get some experience doing that. Alternately, you could join any one of a multitude of small low-sec to null-sec PvP corporations that exist.
Lyric Lahnder
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-07-11 18:55:55 UTC
If you want to plunk cash down then you can buy a Cerebral Accelerator which will speed your training as well.

Noir. and Noir Academy are recruiting apply at www.noirmercs.com I Noir Academy: 60 days old must be able to fly at least one tech II frigate. I Noir. Recruits: 4:1 k/d ratio and can fly tech II cruisers.

Jim Roebuck
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-07-12 04:48:11 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Hera Li wrote:
On my adventure through EVE I have found that I cannot do anything I want to do becuase skill training takes way too long. I can either jetcan mine for the 2 next month or quest for the next 2 months. Both, I find incredibly boring.

Then don't mine. Mining isn't an especially good way to earn ISK. Leave mining for those that enjoy it.

Hera Li wrote:
PVP was completely pointless because I kept losing frigates and destroyers to much, much bigger ships.

Then don't engage larger ships. One benefit of smaller ships against larger ships is that it is easier to run away.

Hera Li wrote:
It literally took me a month to get a skythe, equip it for mining, and use it. Only to find that it was a crappy ship to mine in, better than my destroyer, but only took 1min to fill the cargo hold. The next jump from that was more than 3 weeks out, and only had a 4min cargo-hold. I unsubbed when I saw that.

You give-up too easily. I doubt you will enjoy EVE.

Hera Li wrote:
How do I use skills when I get them rather than put them on layway? I want to PLAY this game the way everybody else gets to, not wait several months for it to get fun.

Start with doing stuff you enjoy (and finding out what you enjoy).

Next, stop worrying about skills so much. Train stuff that helps you have more fun NOW and not in X number of months. Slow down and enjoy the ride; you don't need a bigger ship to have fun.

Most importantly join a corp, as even a rookie ship roam in lowsec is tons of fun when you are doing it with friends. EVE is about interacting with other people, and you will be incredibly bored in short order if you don't.

Wow, you sound like a major **** in the back of my mind.

When Bon Scott died and he appeared before St. Peter at the gates of Heaven, St. Peter looked at his record and told him he couldn't get in. Just then, God screams at Peter, "Let him in, Karen Carpenter is driving me nuts. I want to hear some music with balls. We'll haggle over the paperwork later." At least I hope that's what happened.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#19 - 2012-07-12 05:40:22 UTC
Jim Roebuck wrote:
Wow, you sound like a major **** in the back of my mind.

Regulars on the forums know that I will go to great lengths to help people enjoy EVE as much as I do, and I tried to show that in my post.

I have no tolerance for people that place blame everywhere else and not upon themselves. "The world is wrong not me! Fix the world!" In EVE, you won't get far or last long with that attitude. Proof is the OP's rant and admitted quitting.

Yet despite that I answered all the questions and offered sound advice, some of it echoed by others afterwards, showing that at least I'm not intentionally trying to be a troll.

I apologize for the apparent tone. A very raw nerve was struck.
Fidelium Mortis
Minor Major Miners LLC
#20 - 2012-07-12 15:32:49 UTC
Early on before I started to PvP a lot I started a low-SP ninja looting alt for fun that got some nice solo fights from mission runners and high sec ratters. This lets you find people with ships that are the same size, or slightly larger, and often with similar or just slightly higher SP totals.

There's a lot that you can do with a character that only has a day or two worth of training. The key is looking for a ship/tactic and focusing your training - at least in the short term.

Also it's now fairly common to find solo fights in the faction warfare complexes found in most low-sec systems, although you might need to go pirate in order to kick things off. Basically look for faction warfare complex beacons in local that are labeled with the prefix "minor", which only allow destroyers and T1 frigates in.

ICRS - Intergalactic Certified Rocket Surgeon

12Next page