These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Guidelines and advice for setting ransoms

First post
Author
Cattegirn
Imperial Guardians
Tactical Narcotics Team
#1 - 2011-09-20 16:52:32 UTC
I'd like to hear the thoughts from experienced pirates (be that low or null sec) on how to evaluate what to ask for in ransom from a trapped player.

I've been ransomed myself a few times and always found the prices asked to be excessive. I believe that in those cases, the pirate is simply betting on eventually catching someone with some expensive implants.

But I wonder whether enough people travel in risky space with expensive implants to make this the right way to price ransoms. Anyone with a fair sample size might be able to fill me in there. I'm also concerned that the players who have expensive implants in null are going to be so rich they'll just replace the implants sooner than trust a ransom to be honored.

How essential is having a ship scanner and cargo scanner when setting up traps?

Just some stuff I'm curious about, thanks.
CCP Zymurgist
C C P
C C P Alliance
#2 - 2011-09-20 18:55:14 UTC
I'm not an "experienced" pirate by any means but I have flown with enough to know some good rules of thumb about ransoms. The golden rule is to honor the ransom! You don't have to, but it makes it hard on people trying to make a living in low sec. Anyhow... It really breaks down into two main categories.

1. Ransoming a ship?
  2. Ransoming a pod?

If you are ransoming a ship, try to base it about the base value of the hull. Yes that Brutix you just kited might have T2 blasters, a faction MWD, and maybe even officer tank mods, but you aren't garunteed it in the loot drop. Plus if the fit is that expensive, more reason for the sucker, er pilot, to pay up. The exceptions to this is haulers and T3. Bump up the ransom a little, and if you have a cargo scanner and they are filled with goodies, really stick it to them!

If you are ransoming a pod, base it off the age of the player. An older player will likely have more specialized implants they want to save.

Personally I haven't collected any ransoms... But my Brutix is still alive Shocked

Zymurgist Community Representative CCP NA, EVE Online Contact Us at http://support.eveonline.com/pages/petitions/createpetition.aspx

Alyssa Yotosala
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#3 - 2011-09-20 22:25:55 UTC
Expecting a Pirate to act in an honorable fashion is the height of foolishness.

Forking over that large ransom with no guarantee of being let go, is practically giving money away in addition to getting blown up.

*You* may honor your ransom demands, but you have no control over what other pirates do.

The best course of action is to never pay ransoms and accept the loss ( because its the victims fault for getting caught )

Paying, and then getting blown up and podded once the payment is made just makes lulz and the resulting tears more valuable to the pirate.
Kitty McKitty
In Praise Of Shadows
#4 - 2011-09-20 23:24:10 UTC
Never pay a high sec ransom since the theory with high sec gankers is that a target will only ever get caught once so you might as well milk them for what you can.

In low sec it is entirely different and you are more likely to be pod ransomed if anything but it's far far more likely that you can expect any ransom to be honoured as it is simply better for business. The exception is if you are caught by (most likely gate camping) smacktalking idiots in which case its mostly obvious they will dishonour. Any other circumstance it's worth paying the ransom if it is reasonable.

On the flip side:

As for how much you should be charging as a ransom? Age plays a big part, then you can also look up killboard stats for the player to see how he fits typically, other than that it's common sense. Carebears are less reasonably expected to pay a ransom but conversely could have the most valuable implants. Regular PVPers when caught will likely pay a moderate ransom but unless you know they have fancy implants theres a good chance they dont and you should price with their convenience in mind only.

If I get my pod caught (I've spent a year on a really laggy connection but still have to pew pew on occasion and shizzle happens) I would offer up about 20 to 40 m isk for my pod as it's usuallly not worth more and it's a nice amount to receive as ransom. Just don't be paying out to complete a-holes.

Haviing your portrait painted here helps INTAKI Disabled Children ♥

Miney Prospector
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2011-09-20 23:35:14 UTC
I got intercepted in a very nicely fit faction cruiser while taking a short cut through low sec. I paid the ransom, the request of which matched the going price of ship, because of the +5's I had plugged in. The guys who caught me were pros, and not just a few guys who got lucky. There was no chance of escaping in my pod. They might have gone ahead and blown the ship and me up if I paid, but I knew for a fact they would if I didn't. If I had crap implants in I would have let them blow it up and spent the cost of the ship to just buy a new ship. The main thing is if you get caught is to keep a level head and not just react out of anger. Once you're in the situation getting emotional about it isn't productive. As far as requesting ransoms, I'd say go for a little under the price of the hull because like I said, if I had been in a different clone I would not have paid the ransom for just the ship as I could just as easily spend the 'ransom' not paid on buying a new ship. Also keep in mind that some ships are just for fun or a novelty and paying a large amount to keep it intact may not be that desirable for the hostage since the ship isn't actually crucial for anything.
Herbstleyd
Stern des Westens
The Hivemind Federation Alliance
#6 - 2011-09-21 04:25:09 UTC
Miney Prospector wrote:
[...] very nicely fit faction cruiser [...] the +5's I had plugged in [...]

No crime for you, just punishment. I'm still trying to figure out what happened in my boxers just now. Please drop by any time!

Barbie D0ll
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2011-09-21 04:48:58 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Phantom
*snip* broken forums keep eating my posts

here is the primary ransom procedure
ransom ship
receive ransom
blow them up anyways
Destructor1792
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2011-09-21 07:58:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Destructor1792
During my Pirating days many moons ago the ransom process was fairly straight forward and took a few things into account:

Type of Ship victim was flying
Fitted Mods
Age of Victim
Sec Status of Victim
Time of day (i.e. just got up / bad day at the office, ect)

Alot of the time, you only have a very short window in which to ransom your Victim so sometimes a random figure is pulled out of the hat. anywhere from 10-30secs for said Victim to pay up or *BOOM* (depending on location in space)

If they pay, then they are let on their merry way. Sometimes with a few pointers on how to stay safe.

One thing any reputable pirate corp or pirate will never do is ransom a victim, take the money & then kill them anyway!! You end up getting known as untrustworthy which leads to less ransoms ( as ppl get to hear you shoot anyway) so kills off one type of income. This can also lead to further issues down the line if you move out of pirating (reputation has a habit of sticking!)

Not fired a shot in anger since 2011.... Trigger finger is starting to get somewhat itchy.......

seany1212
M Y S T
#9 - 2011-09-21 08:42:59 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Phantom
Barbie D0ll wrote:
*snip* broken forums keep eating my posts

here is the primary ransom procedure
ransom ship
receive ransom
blow them up anyways

Probably best that it does from the shiptoasting.

Its been a topic probably since the beginning of eve in terms of honouring ransoms, if you live in an area of low sec then you´ll lose out on income if your ransoming and then still popping the locals, this´ll just lead to others refusing to pay. Lowsec provides small amount of isk in comparison to the other parts of eve space so why reduce an isk source? Twisted
Lady Go Diveher
Doomheim
#10 - 2011-09-21 08:58:55 UTC
Plenty of pirates DO honour ransoms - but you can count the ones who do on the fingers of one hand. If you don't know your lowsec corps, it is somewhat risky, but many will state their intentions in their corp bio.
BuzzyBeagle
Centers for Intergalactic Mercantile Acquisition
#11 - 2011-09-21 10:52:52 UTC
what is this "honoring ransom" thing you speak of???
Lady Go Diveher
Doomheim
#12 - 2011-09-21 11:06:37 UTC
BuzzyBeagle wrote:

It's called honoUring.

Not that you know anything about either spelling Roll
Tallianna Avenkarde
Pyre of Gods
#13 - 2011-09-21 11:12:58 UTC
A full set of +3's is what 60m? set ransom fr 40-50 for someone that is expecting to pew, as they may have a few cheapish hardwirings.. carebears I'd ransom 60-80 to take into the fact that they have +4's. never assume people have +5's it just makes them laugh at you when you ask for 200m.

And a sudden plunge in the sullen swell. Ten fathoms deep on the road to hell.

Traffic Warden
Suddenly Ninjas
Tear Extraction And Reclamation Service
#14 - 2011-09-21 12:59:54 UTC
Lady Go Diveher wrote:
BuzzyBeagle wrote:

It's called honoUring.Roll

Not if you're American.

Just saying.
Zoe Alarhun
The Proactive Reappropriation Corporation
#15 - 2011-09-21 13:44:04 UTC
I normally ask for a ransom amount based on ship hull + age of character.
If they are very new ransom them for a song or joke.

Older characters will get charged more. Infact I may ask for your ship.

I always honor ransoms because word gets around and next time someone might be more willing to pay you. Also I've converted carebears to low sec pvpr's just by showing we arn't huge a-holes. yeah we will blow up your ship. But we won't smack talk you first and make fun of you. We will be polite as long as you are. We will joke and have fun, and if you are a uber noob then we might even give you some isk + tips and send you on your way.

Aqriue
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2011-09-21 19:20:58 UTC
Don't fly what you cannot afford to replace.

Rule 1 of EVE fight club. I wouldn't pay a ransom period, being that EVE is what it is I don't know you or your intentions, nor do I have enough time to look up each and every basement dwelling pirate I might encounter nor do you have to honor ransoms, because even if I "gifted" you isk then got podded why take a double loss? Heck, to bad there isn't 3 second self destructs + instant pod destruction along with it or automatic logoffski in 3 seconds just to stick it to Captain RP Badass of the Galactic Highsea..."If you don't let me go, I will self destruct....No you wo...BANG!...$%^@ damn ******* ruining my game." Only in Bizzaro EVE would that be happening What?
Cherry Nobyl
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2011-09-21 19:53:49 UTC
I've always appreciated the more esoteric ransoms.

One friend was ransomed out of a haiku describing being ransomed, another had to track down a batch of exotic dancers and deliver via contract.

Be creative, it helps the publicity of it all. The game is more than the isk in a wallet. Blink
GeneralMartok
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#18 - 2011-09-21 22:19:15 UTC
confirming the guys in rancer honor all ransomsPirate
Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#19 - 2011-09-22 08:34:12 UTC
Traffic Warden wrote:
Lady Go Diveher wrote:
BuzzyBeagle wrote:

It's called honoUring.Roll

Not if you're American.

Just saying.

Yeah, but outside of Amurrikka, in that mythical place known as the rest of the world, a lot of us speak English, not American.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

foksieloy
Rockets ponies and rainbows
#20 - 2011-09-22 09:43:07 UTC
I think a good rule of thumb is to ask for a ransom that wouldn't hurt the target much even if you decide to blow him up. They get accepted.

Another system I seen used to good practice is the Taurean Eltanin system (:)) in which he asks the target to suggest a fair amount, no bargaining, if it is too low you are dead, you get one offer.

Very quick, and makes the target decide what he considers fair.

Disclaimer: I do not actually play this game, I just forum warrior.

123Next pageLast page