These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Podded for the first time

First post
Author
David Toviyah
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-06-21 14:24:08 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Dosnix
I - not even a mere month in EVE - just got *snip* podkilled for the first time by two *snip* player in low sec. I was traveling in an Imicus, minding my own business and merely jumping from one system to another when I was suddenly warp scrambled. I got into Local and plead for mercy but they attacked me anyway. I had no valuables on me, posed no threat and yet they murdered me.

Now, most of you will think “So what? Welcome to EVE.” and I would agree if not for the fact that I am ... or at least was roleplaying as a capsuleer who, similarly to Amarr royalty, refuses to use cloning technology. The financial loss and the subtracted skillpoints (I hadn’t upgraded my clone for aforementioned RPing reasons) are not what bothers me - they are minimal anyway. It is this devastating loss of purpose for this character. Right now I am considering destroying him and leaving EVE altogether because, fuck, this right here is a major joykill for me. Why are there malicious people like that?



tl;dr I need some serious cheering up lest I lose all my enjoyment of EVE :(

Post edited due to bad word usage
Fixed it for you

ISD Dosnix
Savage Angel
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-06-21 14:26:29 UTC
If you want to play hardcore mode then biomass the character and make another. Isn't that the whole point of what you are trying to do?
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#3 - 2012-06-21 14:29:43 UTC
If you're going to RP someone who refuses clone tech, more power to you. If you don't want to lose SP as a consequence, I advise staying out of lo-sec, and even more I advise learning how to get your pod out. In Empire, the *nearly* failsafe method is to start spamming warp before your ship explodes; your pod will instawarp and you'll get away 99% of the time. It sounds like you were well aware that you were risking SP loss, and you must have clicked through the lo-sec warning, so I'm not sure what your problem is here? You made a gamble and it din't pay off?

More to the point the guys that killed you were roleplaying pirates; their thing is being merciless robbers who blow other ships up for the loot. Why should they believe you have no valuables? Why don't you respect their RP?


Anyway, don't quit. Dedicate your EVE career to a merciless and vindictive revenge (that's what a proper Amarr Lord would do). We'd be delighted to give you advice in this respect.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Mara Tessidar
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-06-21 14:30:35 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Spitfire
Please refrain from personal attacks. Spitfire
Mara Tessidar
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-06-21 14:31:19 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Dosnix
*snip*
stop personal attacks please
ISD Dosnix
Morganta
The Greater Goon
Clockwork Pineapple
#6 - 2012-06-21 14:31:40 UTC
David Toviyah wrote:
I - not even a mere month in EVE - just got motherfucking podkilled for the first time by two assholes in low sec. I was traveling in an Imicus, minding my own business and merely jumping from one system to another when I was suddenly warp scrambled. I got into Local and plead for mercy but they attacked me anyway. I had no valuables on me, posed no threat and yet they murdered me.

Now, most of you will think “So what? Welcome to EVE.” and I would agree if not for the fact that I am ... or at least was roleplaying as a capsuleer who, similarly to Amarr royalty, refuses to use cloning technology. The financial loss and the subtracted skillpoints (I hadn’t upgraded my clone for aforementioned RPing reasons) are not what bothers me - they are minimal anyway. It is this devastating loss of purpose for this character. Right now I am considering destroying him and leaving EVE altogether because, fuck, this right here is a major joykill for me. Why are there malicious people like that?



tl;dr I need some serious cheering up lest I lose all my enjoyment of EVE :(


refusing to use the tools available on the basis of RP is your own decision, and not a very good one
low sec is a ganker's playground, its best to avoid it as most people shoot first and look if it was worth the effort later

nobody is going to look to see how old you are before popping you
it happens to everyone, just stay in high until you can defend yourself.

learn to lose stuff, otherwise you'll never be able to deal with eve
Doddy
Excidium.
#7 - 2012-06-21 14:35:14 UTC
Savage Angel wrote:
If you want to play hardcore mode then biomass the character and make another. Isn't that the whole point of what you are trying to do?


This, i mean whats the point of your rp otherwise.
David Toviyah
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-06-21 14:40:22 UTC  |  Edited by: David Toviyah
Malcanis wrote:
It sounds like you were well aware that you were risking SP loss, and you must have clicked through the lo-sec warning, so I'm not sure what your problem is here? You made a gamble and it din't pay off?

What warning? Also, what gamble?

Malcanis wrote:
More to the point the guys that killed you were roleplaying pirates; their thing is being merciless robbers who blow other ships up for the loot. Why should they believe you have no valuables? Why don't you respect their RP?

Why should they believe that I have no valuables? Maybe because I’m new, flying a ship with virtually no cargo hold? Or maybe they could have scanned it since I was obviously unarmed. If they were RPing at all then not as pirates but as psychopaths. Why would I respect that? Would you respect someone who “roleplayed” as something equally wretched? How about a pedophile capsuleer? Should one respect that?

Anyway, I might get in touch with you regarding that revenge thing. It’s just that I have all but lost my will to continue playing right now.
David Toviyah
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-06-21 14:43:10 UTC  |  Edited by: David Toviyah
Savage Angel wrote:
If you want to play hardcore mode then biomass the character and make another. Isn't that the whole point of what you are trying to do?

I guess but I don’t know how to find the power to go on. I mean doing so would not only require me to start from scratch which is annoying enough, no, I would also lose essentially all contacts et cetera. As such, I was hoping that I would receive some consolation here with people encouraging me and giving me ideas on how to continue. Alas, it seems that all I can expect here is scorn and ridicule Cry
Danfen Fenix
#10 - 2012-06-21 14:47:30 UTC
I would have sympathy but...I got pod killed on my 3rd day after trying to go and rat in low-sec with my catalyst.

I used it as a learning experience.


I mean, you could always roleplay it as your character, in his final moments, suddenly realised how beneficial clone technology is? P
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#11 - 2012-06-21 14:47:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
David Toviyah wrote:
What warning? Also, what gamble?
The warning you get when you jump into lowsec.
The game you took by flying without an updated clone. Hell, the gamble you took by going into lowsec.

Quote:
Why should they believe that I have no valuables? Maybe because I’m new, flying a ship with virtually no cargo hold?
Neither has been shown to consistently coincide with not having any valuables.

Quote:
Or maybe they could have scanned it since I was obviously unarmed.
What if they had no space for any of that? How would they know that you were unarmed.

Quote:
If they were RPing at all then not as pirates but as psychopaths. Why would I respect that?
For the same reason you demand that your RPing shold be respected.

Also, Jade, take your meds or go have yourself checked out so you can get some. Your paranoia is showing.
Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#12 - 2012-06-21 14:47:49 UTC
But... If you're roleplaying a character not wanting to use a specific technology for IC reason then you should also roleplay IC consequences and risks. Roleplay means also dealing with consequences and a non predeterminated event flaws. Consequences are just what give sense to your roleplay.

Aulx-Gao Ekanon
#13 - 2012-06-21 14:52:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Aulx-Gao Ekanon
David Toviyah wrote:
Savage Angel wrote:
If you want to play hardcore mode then biomass the character and make another. Isn't that the whole point of what you are trying to do?

I guess but I don’t know how to find the power to go on. I mean doing so would not only require me to start from scratch which is annoying enough, no, I would also lose essentially all contacts et cetera. As such, I was hoping that I would receive some consolation here with people encouraging me and giving me ideas on how to continue. Alas, it seems that all I can expect here is scorn and ridicule Cry


If your're doing the RP thing then why not make the new character a family member or someone hired to investigate the disappearance of the first character? You could go through his Rolodex and ask his contacts for information regarding his last known whereabouts, favorite restaurants and slave marts, etc.

EDIT: Thank you ISD Dosnix for returning my post from the bit bin.

_Naughty by nature, wicked by choice. _

Savage Angel
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-06-21 14:53:58 UTC
David Toviyah wrote:
Savage Angel wrote:
If you want to play hardcore mode then biomass the character and make another. Isn't that the whole point of what you are trying to do?

I guess but I don’t know how to find the power to go on. I mean doing so would not only require me to start from scratch which is annoying enough, no, I would also lose essentially all contacts et cetera. As such, I was hoping that I would receive some consolation here with people encouraging me and giving me ideas on how to continue. Alas, it seems that all I can expect here is scorn and ridicule Cry


When you make choices that are diametrically opposed to the game you signed up for, you will likely not get much sympathy. Diablo 1 & 2 (haven't played 3) have a hardmode as well, where if you die you stay dead. It is fun to play that way, but only if you are willing to accept the consequences. If not, change your outlook or change games.

Since you say you will not use clone tech, then the only option is to biomass, as the character is dead without a clone.
Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#15 - 2012-06-21 14:56:13 UTC
David Toviyah wrote:
. If they were RPing at all then not as pirates but as psychopaths. Why would I respect that? Would you respect someone who “roleplayed” as something equally wretched? How about a pedophile capsuleer? Should one respect that?


Perhaps the killers were Rp'ing you as a self entitled annoying cruel, sadistic and tyrannical ruler, but also incompetent, naive, fairly stupid, cowardly, prone to rash outbursts of violence and perhaps even insane. They felt they were doing New Eden a service taking you down as you unwisely traveled alone without guard.
David Toviyah
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-06-21 14:57:10 UTC  |  Edited by: David Toviyah
Tippia wrote:
For the same reason you demand that your RPing shold be respected.
Where did I do that?

Tokclik wrote:
OP is pro poster
Nope.

Sin Pew wrote:
If it were so, you wouldn't be a capsuler at all.
Hint: you are a clone already.
Is that so? According to official lore or fan fiction?

Aulx-Gao Ekanon wrote:
If your're doing the RP thing then why not make the new character a family member or someone hired to investigate the disappearance of the first character? You could go through his Rolodex and ask his contacts for information regarding his last known whereabouts, favorite restaurants and slave marts, etc.
Hrm, thanks, I will think about it.

Doddy wrote:
If he was actually roleplaying, he would be dead not posting Blink
The forum is not part of the EVE universe :T
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#17 - 2012-06-21 14:58:52 UTC
David Toviyah wrote:
Savage Angel wrote:
If you want to play hardcore mode then biomass the character and make another. Isn't that the whole point of what you are trying to do?

I guess but I don’t know how to find the power to go on. I mean doing so would not only require me to start from scratch which is annoying enough, no, I would also lose essentially all contacts et cetera. As such, I was hoping that I would receive some consolation here with people encouraging me and giving me ideas on how to continue. Alas, it seems that all I can expect here is scorn and ridicule Cry


Well I did try to be encouraging, but the point is you cant expect all the other players to be aware of your RP, nor can you expect them to modify their game to suit you.

Really, your problem is an RP problem and we can't solve that for you. What do you want us to say?

RP a reason for your character to go on, or even create a new character. As such, merely losing a ship is a pretty trivial reason to quit.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

David Toviyah
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2012-06-21 15:02:43 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
What do you want us to say?
Something that helps me cope with this. The “You already are a clone” one for example. This might prove to be a solution to my problem should it turn out to be true.

Malcanis wrote:
As such, merely losing a ship is a pretty trivial reason to quit.
Yes and as you (should) know that is not the reason.

Oh and please, people, stop implying that I am a troll. I am not. I picked up EVE a mere month ago and have never played it before. Can I somehow prove to you that this story is legit?
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#19 - 2012-06-21 15:08:57 UTC
David Toviyah wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
It sounds like you were well aware that you were risking SP loss, and you must have clicked through the lo-sec warning, so I'm not sure what your problem is here? You made a gamble and it din't pay off?

What warning? Also, what gamble?


By default, you start with all warnings enabled, including the warning pop up that you have to click through to jump into lo-sec. Either you ignored it or you'd disabled it.

David Toviyah wrote:

Malcanis wrote:
More to the point the guys that killed you were roleplaying pirates; their thing is being merciless robbers who blow other ships up for the loot. Why should they believe you have no valuables? Why don't you respect their RP?

Why should they believe that I have no valuables? Maybe because I’m new, flying a ship with virtually no cargo hold? Or maybe they could have scanned it since I was obviously unarmed. If they were RPing at all then not as pirates but as psychopaths. Why would I respect that? Would you respect someone who “roleplayed” as something equally wretched? How about a pedophile capsuleer? Should one respect that?


People use alts in small or cheap ships to transport valuables all the time. It's hilariously common - ask about the guy who moved 74 PLEX in an unfitted Kestrel (T1 frigate). I say this from personal knowedge, as I did some pirating for a time. Let me tell you a bit about how it works:

You only have a second or two at best to catch any ship that jumps through. There is simply no time to check bios or read employment histories. Additionally, other, larger groups may appear at any time, so there's simply no point wanting time faffing about with scanners (let alone wasting a valuable mid-slot better spent on tanking mods or sensor boosters).

The simplest, safest and most efficient way to see what loot you have is to blow your ship up as quickly as possible and quickly loot the wreck. Equally, the best way to remove you from the area and prevent you scaring the other fish away is to pod you if at all possible. I might add that I was appalled by the number of podkills we got in just a couple of months.

David Toviyah wrote:

Anyway, I might get in touch with you regarding that revenge thing. It’s just that I have all but lost my will to continue playing right now.


You'll find this forum tends to be very helpful towards people who want to take responsibility for their own game, but very unsympathetic to quitters. I and all the other "psychopaths" will be more thn happy to give you as much advice as you can deal with once you've calmed down and decided to get even, not mad Blink

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

David Toviyah
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-06-21 15:12:46 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
You'll find this forum tends to be very helpful towards people who want to take responsibility for their own game, but very unsympathetic to quitters.

Is that not exactly what I am doing? Were I a quitter I would not have started this thread and asked for advice.
123Next pageLast page