These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

re: v3 skins

Author
elena portrena
LOL dec
#1 - 2012-06-15 09:59:55 UTC
alot of the new skins are very nice. kudos to the ccp artists.

Some ships however have way too dark a paint job, making all the details getting lost in a big smudge of black coloring and shadow effects.

e.g: paladin
new look : https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoo-aKB4Zjddx4hv7d8J5dhduUNKckCGQI2lSu5ejrJ0Buh5GCng
old look : https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTr3EP5yUrk5idsmIFH6YbIpqzH16csYYOc2xuCLt0X9neyaz4Y

its probably way too late for ccp to change that by now, will probably have to wait for the next iteration of ship skins (10 years later? if theres still eve by then). but yeah i just need to voice this out coz i am big sucker for visuals.
Saile Litestrider
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-06-15 12:18:10 UTC
I'm also very disappointed, not with the quality of the skins, but the overall art direction. They seem to have gone out of their way to remove a lot of the distinctive and unique ships in the game.

The T2 amarr ships particularly disappoint me. We went from a brilliant red-and-gold scheme on the Carthum ships and a sleek, cool black with blue lights on the Khanid ships to some kind of dull brown-and-burgundy mess (look at the Paladin or Pilgrim in game, that's not red), and a muted, matte black and GREY on the Khanids. Of course, I think virtually every race's ships have taken a step backwards in the visual department. Way too dark, way to muddy, way too matte. Oh, and enough with the space camo.

It's just a real shame that looking at the old pictures, it seems like what could be a graphical upgrade for the game.
Daeva Teresa
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2012-06-15 12:27:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Daeva Teresa
1) Ships looks much brighter in game than in prewiev window or in station.
2) Someone from art department posted in one of the V3 threads, that they are goying to brighten up the ships in next V3 release (may be inferno 1.1 or winter expansion)

CCP really please dont use Upgraded, Limited, Experimental and Prototype in item names. It sounds like the item is actually worse than basic meta 1 item. Use Calibrated, Enhanced, Optimized and Upgraded. Its really easy to understand that the item is better than meta 1 and its also in alphabetic order.

Saile Litestrider
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-06-15 12:34:55 UTC
Daeva Teresa wrote:
2) Someone from art department posted in one of the V3 threads, that they are goying to brighten up the ships in next V3 release (may be inferno 1.1 or winter expansion)

Brilliant, glad to hear about it.

But I disagree about the brightness. While this has generally been true in the past, I find that most of the new skins reflect so little light that there's little to no difference in various space settings. In fact, I think they look better in stills, because you can imagine them if space did brighten them and make them more visible.
elena portrena
LOL dec
#5 - 2012-06-15 16:48:18 UTC
Daeva Teresa wrote:

glad to hear that as well... <3
Barbelo Valentinian
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#6 - 2012-06-15 18:59:46 UTC
Saile Litestrider wrote:
I'm also very disappointed, not with the quality of the skins, but the overall art direction. They seem to have gone out of their way to remove a lot of the distinctive and unique ships in the game.

The T2 amarr ships particularly disappoint me. We went from a brilliant red-and-gold scheme on the Carthum ships and a sleek, cool black with blue lights on the Khanid ships to some kind of dull brown-and-burgundy mess (look at the Paladin or Pilgrim in game, that's not red), and a muted, matte black and GREY on the Khanids. Of course, I think virtually every race's ships have taken a step backwards in the visual department. Way too dark, way to muddy, way too matte. Oh, and enough with the space camo.

It's just a real shame that looking at the old pictures, it seems like what could be a graphical upgrade for the game.

Agree 100%.

The difference in those pics is between "I'm Amarr, I'm from a bombastic religious theocracy that covers its ships in gold because we are so full of ourselves and our manifest destiny", and "ooh, i'm a scary-looking black Marauder nyeer nyeer".

One pertains to the lore, the other pertains to appeasing adolescents.