These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Technology Lab

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Wanted] Apha testers for Overview generator/creator

Author
suid0
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#1 - 2012-06-14 11:35:48 UTC
Had this as a side project for some MVC 3 work but decided to port the basic functionality over to php in order to put it up on the net.

First up... Disclaimer:

This should be considered an alpha. Use at your own risk.
I take no responsibility for any losses to your current overview settings in game or ships lost based on unexpected overview results. Site/Generator may go down or be replaced with updated versions at any time.

Advice if you are keen to test this.

• Make backups of your current overviews!!! Cannot stress this enough, especially your global settings.
  • Test it using an alt, don't use it on your main and go PVP then diaf because a group wasn't visible.

The basic functionality should be working. But there are probably bugs.

Colours in the Ships display settings should probably work using basic html tags.
So far the output looks like it should be valid, but I'm yet to physically test it myself (probably tonight)
(This is also on a todo list to automate using a colour picker)

Usage:
You can generate xml for Global Settings and/or a overview Profile.

Profile name input is obviously the name of the overview profile.

To generate check the types you want, profile options are the left colum, global are right.
You must check which to generate - top checkboxes for Global/Profile or both and click generate.
The input beside the button is for a name for the xml file.

Both the 'Columns' and 'Ships display' sections should be reorder-able via drag/drop and the output xml should dump them in the correct order.

Finally linky:
http://www.suid0.org/overview/

Legit feedback/advice/requests welcome

the entire enemy support fleet is dead except for one interdictor a titan could easily finish off with drones  - Commander Ted

suid0
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2012-06-14 11:36:06 UTC
reserved

the entire enemy support fleet is dead except for one interdictor a titan could easily finish off with drones  - Commander Ted

Myrkala
Royal Robot Ponies
#3 - 2012-06-17 03:25:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Myrkala
Great work suid0!

I will test it, I was actually looking for information about the overview XML groups and states to write a java-application using JavaFX 2.0 (so that it could be run as a web application as well).

Your UI looks a lot like what I had in mind too.

It would be awesome if you could add options to select colors for the bracket text/ship labels, there were a few generators out there that could do it, but I am not sure if the method may have been changed.

I figured out a few things by reading all over the place, but since the eve forums don't allow less/greater than signs I will just have to point you to this pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/bhD68Te2

Basically I think you need to use the XML encodings of the signs to make it work for the client.

See this thread for a discussion and ideas: http://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=49396

I wish CCP would move all of their overview related settings into the XML file, like background colors, blinking, background color precedence ect. I think those settings maybe buried somewhere in the cache right now. Straight

Not sure what the devs think about customizing the overview like this so much but I think it can be made far more user friendly to actually make overview settings if it was done...
suid0
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#4 - 2012-06-19 08:18:24 UTC  |  Edited by: suid0
Thanks for the reply and the links..

So far I've been working off a single old exported xml I found lying about in my overview dir which is very similar to the section in your pastebin

I do intend to add colour/bold/font size selectors. Just trying to determine what is and isn't valid.

So far it seems that even though the default symbol to surround the alliance ticker is greater than and less than signs, if you use colours or html tags you can no longer use those symbols. Have attempted a couple of different encodings to get around it with no joy.

Would be keen to hear from anyone who has colours working with <>'s and possible a sample of the xml generated.

Myrkala
Royal Robot Ponies
#5 - 2012-06-20 04:09:35 UTC
suid0 wrote:
Thanks for the reply and the links..

So far it seems that even though the default symbol to surround the alliance ticker is greater than and less than signs, if you use colours or html tags you can no longer use those symbols. Have attempted a couple of different encodings to get around it with no joy.

Would be keen to hear from anyone who has colours working with <>'s and possible a sample of the xml generated.

I've heard that this is simply a bug, at least its mentioned as one in the Eve University video that covers the topic of customizing the overview. It has something to do with the corp ticker also being shown. Try exporting a default setting and looking at its XML, and fiddling with the "Hide Corp Ticker If Player is In Alliance" option.

A "solution" could be to use other Unicode symbols (since the client should support them) that look a lot like less/greater than symbols instead, people wont notice the difference if its similar enough. I myself am not really too fussed about not being able to have exactly those symbols around the alliance name...

For example try these and see how/if they work with the EVE font:

˂˃ ( U+02C2 and U+02C3 "Modifed Letter Left/Right Arrowhead)

‹› ( U+2039 and U+203A Single Right/Left-Pointing Quotation Mark)

◄► (U+25C4 and U+25BA Black Left/Right Pointing Pointer)

«» ( U+00AB and U+00BB Right/Left-Pointing Double Angle Quotation Mark)