These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Technology Lab

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

EveLiveWallpaper for Android plus AddOn package on Google Play

Author
Andares Sol
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-05-17 14:58:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Andares Sol
EveLiveWallpaper is an Android LiveWallpaper showing a slowly rotating spaceship model in the background of your Homescreen.

The main application gives you 5 backgrounds and 6 spaceships (Prophecy, Nighthawk, Vexor, Rupture, Nightmare, Opux) to choose from.
The AddOn package adds another 5 backgrounds and 8 spaceships (Abaddon, Scorpion, Manticore, Thorax, Nemesis, Minmatar Shuttle, Procurer, Pirate Frigate #3)

Screenshots, a detailed description and the latest release notes can be found on Google Play!

Links:

Blink ISK donation are welcome! Blink
Andares Sol
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-05-19 09:09:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Andares Sol
--- Original Post #1 2012.05.17 14:58 (Moved down to cleanup the thread) ---

Hi Capsuleers!

Some might have noticed, but i spent the 25$ to put EveLiveWallpaper on [Google Play] after receiving a fantastic amount of 0 ISK in donations Pirate. Well at least i can put Android Developer on my CV now Blink and don't have any "morale obligations" to work on coding stuff when the weather is fine outside and there are other things to do as well. You know how it is - spare time is rare.

Alas as the previous [Forum] posting got "locked indefinitely" i thought i start a new one for a bit of feedback.

I am currently working on loading background and model data from the SD-Card, which is handy if i just "quickly" want to check how bad a different ship looks with my simple rendering. Problem is that i use my own proprietary file format as reading-in *.obj files took ages (~1min to load a model). So i added a new export format to the old TriExporter. Not sure how and if i can make that available to anybody. And of course you need tons of protective code in case somebody yanks out the SD-Card at some random time.

I definitely suck at editing textures with GIMP, so giving the more arty people the possibility to do their own thing is maybe a better idea than just adding more ships and blowing up the application.

Regarding the frequent "more ships" request:
This is a bit limited by the current rendering code. Basically only "solid" ships with no transparency and a single diffuse texture work at the moment as i render all surfaces in one go. First I have to add support for multiple surfaces so that i can render the first surface as "Hull" with Alpha Channel for Model lights, the second as "Exhaust", the third as "Hull 2" with Alpha Channel as real transparency.... What?. Doing that requires then an equivalent of a "*.red" file to tell the Renderer which surface should be rendered how. And while we are at it, taking the color information out of the "*.red" file would also be a good idea. So a bit of an epic task unfortunately. A "blinky lights" rendering would also be cool, but alas you need the locator coordinates out of the "*.red" file then.

The background is also a bit cheap, but on a mobile phone maybe good enough. Just took one side of any cube-map and overlayed the starmap. Resized to 512x512 and that's it. Using a real cubemap would allow environment mapping so that the selected background is reflected on the model. But that would mean 6 textures for the background, the application gets much bigger and also the CPU load much higher. A procedural generated background would avoid storing any background images, but how good would they look? In case you are interested have a look at this [article] i found while looking around.

Ok enough background information for today.

Bests,
Andares Sol

--- Original Post #2 2012.05.19 09:09 ---

FYI:
Working on an AddOn Package now for "more Ships".
I need testers though, just throwing it on the Market and upsetting everybody who downloaded it with potential bugs is no good.
After all i had the first version in "private use" for about half a year before i dared to release it :D.
A Russian language localization would also be great, but i would need somebody reliable to do the translation, not just once but also for potential followup versions. Ho hum....

Bests,
Andares Sol <-Time to catch some sun and put some Tomatoes in the garden.
Andares Sol
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-05-26 07:50:45 UTC
No comments? Everybody completely happy with the App? Great Blink
Or are my postings too confusing / technical / intimidating for an answer?

Loading models from SD-Card works well and the AddOn Project seems to work as well. I just had no time to torture test it for any combinations of weirdness that can happen. For example:
- Removal of SD Card / AddOn package while model from SD Card / AddOn is used
- Startup sequence where EveLiveWallpaper starts before SD Card is mounted
- Stopping of Wallpaper with either SD Card / AddOn package model selected, then removing SD Card / AddOn package and starting the Wallpaper again.
- Update / Downgrade of SDCard content / AddOn package while model from SDCard / AddOn is used

Ehm there are awful lot of combinations where things can go wrong Shocked. My approach so far is: When the content is gone, show the "Pod" and a default background instead.

An application update at the current point of time will show no visible changes at all, despite a hole lot of code having been rewritten and being added behind the scenes. Therefore i try to get the diffuse texture painted properly.
See here: Red File Questions
Mind you not writing a single line of code and just exporting a model and editing the textures with GIMP can easily take hours of time. Makes you realize the dimensions and tons of people in CCP involved in making this game tick...

Bests,
Andares Sol
Koda Myr'koff
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-05-27 05:15:10 UTC
Tested on Galaxy Nexus running 4.0.4-

The renders look great even without all the bits & bobs (thrusters etc). The ships all spin very smoothly. It makes the UI scrolling very laggy however, due to poor optimization in ICS (nearly all live wallpapers do this, even the ones that ship with the phone). Can't say whether or not the performance hit would still be there when/if live wallpapers are fixed.

Tested on HTC Sensation running 2.3.4-

Works well, but I don't think the renders looked quite as sharp (screen isn't as good) and it caused zero UI lag. Only other real difference I noticed was that the background doesn't shift when scrolling home screens, whereas on the Galaxy Nexus it does (and I suspect this is where the poor (Android) live wallpaper optimization comes in as only the UI and the background image go choppy when scrolling, the ship still spins silky smooth).

If I could suggest a few things I'd like to see (aside from what you've already mentioned, eg- lighting)-

-Have an option for the "floaty cam" effect that EVE has, where your ship doesn't stay perfectly centered. If you don't know what I mean just zoom in on a stationary ship in EVE and watch the ship's position (and background) float around gently. It helps give the impression that the ship is actually in space.
-Combined with the above, have a "flight" option that makes the background slowly move so that it appears as if the ship is flying. Some form of thruster effect would be needed though, even if it's basic.
-Combined with the above again, have the flying ship occasionally change vector at random.

Great work!
Andares Sol
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-05-27 19:11:10 UTC
Just a short update, fought all day with GIMP... Color perception is so subjective Twisted. It looks different on the Laptop, on the Desktop, on the Galaxy S, different in broad daylight and at night. And dear old CCP has many many many different ways of using the paintmaps as well. Guess there is a new mechanism invented with every major update Pirate.

Alas, i think i managed to shoehorn a paintmap on all models.
So the Ferox, will be a Nighthawk now...
Is it recognizeable? Shocked
EveLiveWallpaper - Nighthawk Test

Bests,
Andares <- Epic sparetime waster :D
Nemo Astrai
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-05-27 21:01:08 UTC
Running on a Samsung galaxy nexus ICS 4.0.4. it looks great. no ui lag/performance issues present on this or any of my live wallpapers.
Julii Hakaari
Hakaari Inc.
#7 - 2012-05-28 15:55:46 UTC
Top-notch work! This does deserve more recognition.

"Completely un-phased? You think I'm totally lacking in any phasing? The idea that I'm anything less than half-phased I actually find offensive. It greatly phases me."

Andares Sol
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-05-30 22:17:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Andares Sol
Ok, as i will be busy rebuilding my crappy bicycle the next few days, i threw my current coding state as EveLiveWallpaper v1.1.0 on [Google Play] in the foolish hope that it's not a complete desaster Pirate.

If you feel daring you can try to use / create your own backgrounds now:
Create a folder called EveLiveWallpaper with a subfolder called backgr on your SD-Card (or wherever /mnt/sdcard points to). Put a 512x512 pixel PNG file in there. You should be able to select it in the setting menu of the LiveWallpaper under Backgrounds now. Not sure if i put enough error checking in to make it crash-safe.

Bests,
Andares Sol

P.S.: The donation count is still zero btw. I also take Orcas, Faction Ships e.t.c. i am not fussy LolPBlink
Christine Peeveepeeski
Low Sec Concepts
#9 - 2012-06-21 13:40:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Christine Peeveepeeski
I now have a spinning ruppie on my galaxy note. Thank you.

Actually, got a quick request.

Could you add a slider to control ship spin speed, I'd prefer mine slower :)
Andares Sol
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-06-23 22:19:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Andares Sol
Just uploaded the EveLiveWallpaper [AddOn package] to Google Play.
Five more backgrounds and ships for the greedy masses...

I wanted to show a one-time-popup with help information and the CCP hf. copyright, but the infamous "com.android.vending.INSTALL_REFERRER" seems to get only triggered once the application starts. And as an AddOn package contains just data and no application, this is a bit of a catch. I might need to have to add a "useless" launcher icon in the end... Ugh

Bests,
Andares Sol
Browneyed McGee
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-06-23 22:56:16 UTC
I just saw you put the App on the market. Unfortunately my phone is in the incorrect region. Is that intentional?
Andares Sol
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-06-24 12:24:11 UTC
@McGee: Just try again... The market updates a bit slow. I had it earlier just enabled for Germany for testing, but it takes a few hours for the market to pickup the latest settings.

Bests,
Andares Sol
Browneyed McGee
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2012-06-24 18:37:25 UTC
tyvm sir!
Andares Sol
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-07-28 08:22:35 UTC
Hi there!

I have been busy optimizing the painting of the diffuse textures using the PaintMasks in Gimp. I guess i reached the end of that technique now. So unless i drop OpenGL ES 1.1 support and start using the real material values out of the Black / Converted Json file together with an additional PaintMask texture, i guess this is as good as it gets.

I changed the code to make use of the different surfaces, so can render the "Exhaust" now with blueish color and the rest with the GlowColor. Also single transparency and decals are supported now.

Here are two pictures of the Minmatar Shuttle. I know the Sails are not reflective enough and i still lack environment mapping, but i thing it's recognizeable. What do you think?

[Minmatar Shuttle 1]
[Minmatar Shuttle 2]

You don't wanna know how many hours of sparetime it took to even look like that :-P.

Have to get the code in a state now where in can release an update. Not many people seem to be able to use or find the AddOn package though... Maybe i should swap a few ships between AddOn and Main App. ?!

Bests,
Andares Sol
Americe Zane
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-07-29 10:57:36 UTC
Just installed on my Droid 2 (I know it's old). Works well, a good way to ship spin when away from home.

Only feedback I can give (besides ships requests) is ability to zoom out just a bit more for bigger ships.

Well done, will bring much enjoyment.
Andares Sol
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-08-15 19:43:41 UTC
Ok thanks to the public holiday in Bavaria i managed to upload a new versions for EveLiveWallpaper and the AddOn package to Google play. Big smile

If you have trouble with the automatic update, try temporarily disabling and restarting the LiveWallpaper. Controlling the rotation speed was a last minute change, not sure if i missed an initialisation when updating from an elder version. Ugh

Bests,
Tobias

P.S.: In theory you could do your own models now. With Triexporter v0.5.0.0 released and the Black2Json converter it is possible. If somebody is masochistic enough to give it a try, message me. Pirate

Andares Sol
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2012-09-01 12:26:28 UTC
Just uploaded EveLiveWallpaper v1.3.0 with a small bugfix. No new features.

Bests,
Andares Sol
Burnin Buttsauce
Burnin Bandits
#18 - 2012-11-13 20:38:34 UTC
Love the app Cant wait for ships and more backgrounds donation is on the way
Cave Lord
Workers' Compensation
Sukyoko-Moussa Ltd.
#19 - 2012-11-22 01:44:45 UTC
I would absolutely *love* to see some of the wormhole content added in:
- Talocan ships & Stations
- Sleeper ships & Stations

Ships:
The Talocan ships are under the old graphics model, so it should be fairly easy to get them in.

Stations:
I will admit though, Stations could be a bit tricky, but very cool nonetheless. The image below was compiled from several individual models manually placed into position
An example might be having this rotate: http://s66.beta.photobucket.com/user/Fishscene/media/eveenigmaagent0/WHJ155739/20110123181858.jpg.html?sort=3&o=7

Actually, if you wrote up a tutorial or your workflow for others (like me) to follow, we could probably help out quite a bit in processing stuff and then turning it over to you to be included in the app. Especially if the workflow could be adapted to use FOSS programs such as Gimp/Blender/etc...

There's a serious "cool" factor you've made with this program - I'd like to help out in some way.

-Cave
Andares Sol
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-11-25 19:12:00 UTC
Hi everybody!

Sorry for disappearing so long. I started a bit of an epic home-improvement / renovation here. Shuffling stuff around between rooms, painting, laying carpet, putting laminate floor in.
I still sit in the middle of a construction site. *sigh* It really takes long when you only work on the weekend.

Ok back to the topic:

@Burnin: Thanks for the generous donation; Very much appreciated.

@Cave Lord: As a matter of fact i have a workflow document.. Written mainly for myself, as i usually forget everything if i leave things for 6month and then come back. Send me a message with an e-mail address and i can send you the document and give it a try. The functionality to load ships from SD-Card is also there, so you can try your luck. But man i tell you it's painful work and takes ages :)

Bests,
Andares Sol
12Next page