These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

I'm sorry, what are you trying to say?

First post
Author
Aphoxema G
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2012-04-30 16:02:34 UTC
Saw this in the latest patch note...

"Fix for a crash issue involving T3 cruisers on an operating system we don't really support"

I think about this and I'm confused, because this says a number of things that are all kind of crap, really, regardless of whatever operating system that supposedly is (good code shouldn't care what OS you're on).

"Well, we don't really support this operating system, but here you go anyways, kids."
"Even though we don't support this operating system, we're wasting time supporting it."
"Get a real operating system, but for now, this'll help you with your self-inflicted struggle."
"We care what operating system you use."
"We don't care what operating system you use, but we'll care to mention it if we have to go through any trouble for it."

Is there really a good way to interpret saying "we don't really support"? Honestly?
Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-04-30 16:04:33 UTC
Have you tried dislodging the pole wedged up your arse?
Aphoxema G
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-04-30 16:06:10 UTC
Aruken Marr wrote:

It's thoroughly stuck, you'll just have to deal with it.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#4 - 2012-04-30 16:08:31 UTC
How about

"Fix for a crash issue involving T3 cruisers on an operating system we don't really support because it could in the future be a problem for everyone after some other change".

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-04-30 16:09:06 UTC
Aphoxema G wrote:
Aruken Marr wrote:

Not really my problem though, is it?
Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#6 - 2012-04-30 16:09:09 UTC
As a developer myself, I read that statement as "Here's a cookie". If a company says "Not supported" but you still whine and ***** anyway, and then the developers decide to fix it, you should just be thankful and STFU.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

Halete
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-04-30 16:09:10 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
How about

"Fix for a crash issue involving T3 cruisers on an operating system we don't really support because it could in the future be a problem for everyone after some other change".

Now if that were the case, why couldn't they just say that?

"To know the true path, but yet, to never follow it. That is possibly the gravest sin" - The Scriptures, Book of Missions 13:21

Aphoxema G
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2012-04-30 16:16:49 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
How about

There we go.

Aruken Marr wrote:

You just made it your problem. Take the comeback or slag off.

Karl Hobb wrote:
As a developer myself, I read that statement as "Here's a cookie". If a company says "Not supported" but you still whine and ***** anyway, and then the developers decide to fix it, you should just be thankful and STFU.

• I am not effected by this problem. (to my knowledge)
  • I did not benefit in this fix. (to my knowledge)
  • Someone is clearly begrudging here when they shouldn't be (it's your job or it isn't).
  • They're the ones bitching by phrasing it like that/
  • I love cookies.
  • As a developer, you need to get off your high-horse and stop thinking that makes you special somehow in this argument.
  • It's still a **** way to put "Here's the support we provided for you as requested."
  • You're defending them committing bad PR. Very developer-minded of you.
  • I'm a developer too.
Zukes Bla'hati
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2012-04-30 16:18:40 UTC
Aruken Marr wrote:
Aphoxema G wrote:
Aruken Marr wrote:

If it's not your problem, why waste your time posting?
Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-04-30 16:19:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Aruken Marr
Aphoxema G wrote:

Aruken Marr wrote:

Did I just hit a culture gap because I'm not entirely sure where providing advice lays any burden on me?

Zukes Bla'hati wrote:

You're missing the point. The problem is backseat developers telling people how to do their jobs and write up their patch notes. Take the statement for what it is. Don't get all uppity and bend the statement into something offensive i.e. take the pole from up your ass.
Aphoxema G
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2012-04-30 16:20:41 UTC
Aruken Marr wrote:
Did I just hit a culture gap because I'm not entirely sure where providing advice lays any burden on me?

That wasn't advice, that was "Ha ha look at how clever I am. Everyone cheer me for being so amazing. God, I'm so amazing, for slapping down that jackass trying to make a statement on a dev's PR tact."
Par'Gellen
#12 - 2012-04-30 16:23:35 UTC
Anyone know which OS they are talking about?

"I hate OS's... There are like, to many of them..."

"To err is human", but it shouldn't be the company motto...

Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-04-30 16:25:13 UTC
Aphoxema G wrote:
Aruken Marr wrote:

That wasn't advice, that was "Ha ha look at how clever I am. Everyone cheer me for being so amazing. God, I'm so amazing, for slapping down that jackass trying to make a statement on a dev's PR tact."

I'm the jackass?

Nobody likes a pedant. Don't make mountains out of molehills. I can imagine the inane nit-picking people like you throw at devs is a right pain. Guys must have patience of saints.
Aphoxema G
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2012-04-30 16:26:08 UTC
Par'Gellen wrote:
Anyone know which OS they are talking about?

"I hate OS's... There are like, to many of them..."

My guess is a Linux dist, talking **** about OS X is like poking a nest full of hipster honey bees who don't lose their stingers because that's too mainstream.
Delencia Lakat
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2012-04-30 16:26:37 UTC
Aphoxema G wrote:
(good code shouldn't care what OS you're on)

You must be new to computers.

Something something compiler implementations, something something processor architectures, something something WHY DUN MY POSIX WERK.
Zukes Bla'hati
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2012-04-30 16:26:51 UTC
Aruken Marr wrote:
Aphoxema G wrote:

Aruken Marr wrote:

Zukes Bla'hati wrote:

You're missing the point. The problem is backseat developers telling people how to do their jobs and write up their patch notes. Take the statement for what it is. Don't get all uppity and bend the statement into something offensive i.e. take the pole from up your ass.

Uppity? How am I getting uppity? This is your assumption, good sir.

I'm merely trying to suggest that your time might be spent better elsewhere.

After all, this isn't your problem.
Aphoxema G
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2012-04-30 16:27:03 UTC
Aruken Marr wrote:
I'm the jackass?

Nobody likes a pedant. Don't make mountains out of molehills. I can imagine the inane nit-picking people like you throw at devs is a right pain. Guys must have patience of saints.

No, you tit, I was quoting you so I was putting words in your mouth, so I was calling me the jackass through you.
Haulie Berry
#18 - 2012-04-30 16:27:33 UTC
I guess if you desperately need to ***** about something, this works as well as anything else.
Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2012-04-30 16:28:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Aruken Marr
Aphoxema G wrote:
Aruken Marr wrote:
I'm the jackass?

No, you tit, I was quoting you so I was putting words in your mouth, so I was calling me the jackass through you.

Aw **** you're right. I guess that makes everything said invalid. Ta ta

Zukes Bla'hati wrote:

Uppity? How am I getting uppity? This is your assumption, good sir.

I'm merely trying to suggest that your time might be spent better elsewhere.

After all, this isn't your problem.

Ah sorry, was referring to the OP about getting uppity over the statement in the patchnotes. Should've clarified.
Aphoxema G
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2012-04-30 16:28:37 UTC
Delencia Lakat wrote:
Aphoxema G wrote:
(good code shouldn't care what OS you're on)

You must be new to computers.

Something something compiler implementations, something something processor architectures, something something WHY DUN MY POSIX WERK.

When your code is intended to be portable, like to OS X, then it shouldn't care.
12Next page