These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Alts: The New Decshield

Author
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-03-25 18:33:01 UTC
Tanya Powers wrote:
I really hope this will be good for war but also make those risk averse high sec pirate pubbies life horrible.
Versus the risk-averse industrialists?

What are you talking about? Pirates are going to find the sweet spot of cost/size and start wardeccing the hell out of those corps. Mid-sized corps thus get screwed over under these new rules.

Large corps get protected with cost. Mid-sized corps get pillaged, they're the new juicy target. Small corps probably see little change in how often they get decced.
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2012-03-26 00:37:36 UTC
Aethlyn wrote:
When I first heard of costs being based on corp size I essentially expected them to compare attacker/defender. I'm rather sure they're going to extend on this.

Hopefully. I heard it was brought up in the roundtable later on in the day.

It is worrying that CCP felt that just basing on the size of the target was perfectly fine and it took the players to say "umm ... what the hell?"

Tinfoil hat for a moment ... but it's like the edict from Hilmar's office was "Redesign wardecs. Make sure it doesn't support consensual PvP, but at the same time, do something to help shield E-Uni." Basing cost on the size of the target was obvious. I feel they may stick with that. On the other hand, there are no highsec corps that even come close to the Uni's size ... so even basing on differential gives the Uni some financial shielding.
Ocih
Space Mermaids
#23 - 2012-03-26 01:08:06 UTC
Trial farming seems like the new win sauce then.
Im Super Gay
Investtan Inc.
The Republic.
#24 - 2012-03-26 01:23:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Im Super Gay
How about instead of basing the war fee on member size, make it an option for corps to pay a monthly fee to increase the cost of war Dec that scales to how much the corp wants to pay per month. Think of it as a form of insurance: you can choose to buy better insurance at a higher premium, or you could stick to the basic insurance with a low premium.

I was thinking that a 2-5x ratio would be appropriate between the weekly war Dec fee increase to the monthly premium. For example, if your corp pays 100 mil a month premium to concord and the ratio is 3, the weekly war Dec fee would be 20 mil + 3*100 mil = 320 mil.
Adunh Slavy
#25 - 2012-03-26 01:27:59 UTC
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Adunh Slavy wrote:
Once a war starts, no one can join the corp.
Abusable. Would result in actual griefing.

To be clear, no one can join the corp that started the war, any one can join the defender. This way the agressor is less able to manipulate their number downwards to fight smaller corps. With the addition of the suspect flag, hopefully being given to neut RR, this would be helpful.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#26 - 2012-03-26 01:28:37 UTC

This'll promote bringing lots of small corps under an alliance banner.

That can be good and bad. Basically, all corps are better off being in a loosely organized alliance now than all alone in a ton of little groups.

This promotes people coming under one flag to make wars expensive, which means more communication amongst alliance members, meaning that more groups will have the incentive to draw ambitions thinking to themselves ::

"Well ****, I've got 500 members, we can actually go do something other than sit in high sec on our asses."

Although this makes high sec griefers less happy, it promotes them doing something productive through the system, meaning that they can't run from war decs so easily, they are forced to consolidate under single banners, and then from there that means that it's easier to convince small groups to join your alliance, meaning that you can take them and do something more productive than the sum of the parts would initially entail.

This means that some high sec alliances might actually grow the balls to get out of high sec. Not likely, but maybe a few will actually try and stand up to the 3vilness.

Also means that some high sec alliances might become the biggest alliances in EVE, rather than null sec ones, again going back to the usage of mega alliances to go out into null sec to strike it rich.

Where I am.

Asuri Kinnes
Perkone
Caldari State
#27 - 2012-03-26 01:32:33 UTC
Tanya Powers wrote:
Who needs to to wardec Null sec alliances? Lol

Go there, target and kill. That easy right?

You want a fake wardec to kill a freighter? -you pay a few bills or you just get the manpower and gank.

I'm looking forward to see all these new features in game, I really hope this will be good for war but also make those risk averse high sec pirate pubbies life horrible.

Not everyone who wants the war-dec system reviewed resides in hi-sec, or even war-dec's people that often. As PS pointed out, mid-size corps would be *SCRWD* hard with this change, as they would become the best target on an isk/target basis. Large alliances / corps would probably get a pass, because of the expense (although in many cases I suspect that even they would get wardec'd, just because).

Needs to be a cap on the scaling, both up and down (a floor and a ceiling as it were).

Bob is the god of Wormholes.

That's all you need to know.

W1rlW1nd
WirlWind
#28 - 2012-03-26 01:39:43 UTC
Is there any value to an inverse calculation?

So a small corp dec'ing a large one gets a discount, to encourage smaller fleets to move out and chip away at giant organizations that have the advantage of numbers?

A large corp dec'ing a small corp pays extra, as a penalty of using op numerical advantage against weaker, probably younger players.

A same sized corp dec'ing a same sized corp, regular cost, to encourage even fights?

Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2012-03-26 02:48:41 UTC
this is a stupid post
why should they be capped again? wars will still be for griefing in highsec, as long as its no trial accounts or expired accounts then it won't matter

lets say you made 400 alts for your corp
well thats a lot of $$$ or a lot of plex so you earn the bit of a dec shield.

also isk is cheap these days, and this will be a great isk sink.

the big nullsec alliances don't need to be war decced.
anyone in lowsec doesn't really need to be wardecced

the only people you HAVE to wardec are highsec corps and alliances and if you want to wardec my 1000 man alliance you should have to pay for it, as long as they are all paying members of the game then we deserve the benefits.
It's about time that highsec griefer corps have to actually pay to wardec, instead of the "might as well be free" 2-50mil wardec cost.
Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2012-03-26 03:06:52 UTC
Herping yourDerp wrote:
lets say you made 400 alts for your corp
well thats a lot of $$$ or a lot of plex so you earn the bit of a dec shield.

Sounds like you're a proponent of Pay2Win. Where's your post on the benefits of GoldAmmo? I'd like to give it a read, see your take on the real money to get advantages argument.
Adriel Malakai
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#31 - 2012-03-26 04:26:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Adriel Malakai
Adunh Slavy wrote:
Poetic Stanziel wrote:
Adunh Slavy wrote:
Once a war starts, no one can join the corp.
Abusable. Would result in actual griefing.

To be clear, no one can join the corp that started the war, any one can join the defender. This way the agressor is less able to manipulate their number downwards to fight smaller corps. With the addition of the suspect flag, hopefully being given to neut RR, this would be helpful.

While this helps plug the hole of corp hoppers and people exploiting the mechanic to get cheap decs, you force many of the merc/dec corps to have a fixed schedule with their decs. Many of us are constantly at war, meaning that we could never recruit, or make "black-out" dates where we cannot provide our services.

Personally, I'm not sure why the dec fee needs to scale in relation to membership in the first place, on top of increasing per dec. But, if CCP is adamant about it, it makes more sense to have a reverse sliding scale with a cap to encourage people to go after medium to large targets, rather than small. Considering that larger entities are more likely able to defend themselves, this should help prevent small groups from being squashed out before they get started.
Adunh Slavy
#32 - 2012-03-26 04:43:24 UTC
Good points, and while I was attempting to find a way to mitigate the issue you brought up, I discovered a very good way to get around the entire cost issue anyway, the merc contracts.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Poetic Stanziel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2012-03-26 05:38:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Poetic Stanziel
Adriel Malakai wrote:
Personally, I'm not sure why the dec fee needs to scale in relation to membership in the first place.

Because:

1. EVE University is large. Very large.

2. The University doesn't wardec corps/alliances. They get wardecced.

3. Basing the fee off the target's membership provides a financial shield to the University.

4. CCP persists with the idea that player retention has been best achieved through EVE University.

Small corps? Mid-sized corps? The only corp that needs protecting in highsec is EVE University.

You can call all of that a tinfoil hat statement if you want. But E-Uni has been screaming for wardec changes for years because it affects their mission statement. Hilmar has agreed with them. It's not surprising that when you break down the new wardec mechanics, the one highsec alliance it benefits completely is EVE University.

I doubt you'll see Kelduum Revaan (new CSM member and CEO of EVE University) complaining very much about the new wardec mechanics. Hans might, but his plate is full with faction warfare. Hopefully Alekseyev has some time for the issue. No one else on the CSM is going to give a ****.
Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2012-03-26 05:43:31 UTC
the bigger the alliance is, the more it costs to wardec it?

that's dumb as hell, it should be the other way around - the bigger an alliance is, the more they should be able to fight off some weakass empire scrub griefer gang

lol sorry billy, Eve-Uni has too many members but can't be bothered to fight back - your 10 man newbie corp is going to be the most cost-effective target for the pvp bottomfeeders of EVE.
Ris Dnalor
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#35 - 2012-03-27 01:41:18 UTC
Yea, somehow I see eve players figuring a way to make this become a problem, although CCP did say that they would find a fix for such things... this one could be hard.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118961

EvE = Everybody Vs. Everybody

• Qolde
Previous page12