These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Do we want the new graphics upgrade?

First post
Author
MotherMoon
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#141 - 2012-03-25 02:08:43 UTC
DO IT CCP and I'll buy 10 years of subs right no on the spot. Get that **** out in 6 months, throw 10 guys at it.

You can do it, it's just math! DO IT DO IT DO IT

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1206/scimi.jpg

Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#142 - 2012-03-25 02:12:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Vertisce Soritenshi
So far this thread has been pretty one sided.

I would go as far as to say, drop everything you are working on after Inferno and put everything you have behind releasing it this winter!

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Momoyo
Rivinshield Trading Inc.
#143 - 2012-03-25 02:37:03 UTC
Oh god yes please do it!!
Mortis vonShadow
Balanaz Mining and Development Inc.
#144 - 2012-03-25 02:59:37 UTC
Kaivar Lancer wrote:
I hope CCP understands that more computer-users are drifting towards mobile devices like laptops, netbooks and tablets. The high-end, graphics-friendly desktop is going the way of the dodo.

Then again, aspies don't use mobile devices since they never leave the basement. Perhaps CCP understands its users better than I do.

Stop talking now, dumbass.

Some days you're the bug, and some days your the windscreen.                   And some days, you're just a man with a gun.

sellz shitz
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#145 - 2012-03-25 03:05:22 UTC
i love it but i cannot run it no :(
LuckyQuarter
Unlimited Acquisitions Ltd
#146 - 2012-03-25 03:09:20 UTC
Do it only if CCP ports a native eve client to Linux.
Currently with a high end graphics card, one can get OK performance playing eve virtualized on a linux host even at resolutions >= 1600x1200.
If CCP rebuilds the UI so that virtualized graphics just isn't possible, I'm guessing they could lose hundreds of players minimum (Linux is getting popular as a desktop OS, not just server).
Ike Snicklefritz
Pink Fuzzy Dice
#147 - 2012-03-25 03:25:16 UTC
Might as well throw my vote in as well. I'd really love to see the upgrade. Full speed ahead.
Grumpy Owly
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#148 - 2012-03-25 03:26:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Grumpy Owly
+1, do it!

Tessellation with DirectX 11 is scaleable based on hardware so shouldn't be an issue with lower end specs for the evolution of EvE eye candy and the immersive experience afforded from improving the visual experience.
Ordais
DARK ORCHESTRA
#149 - 2012-03-25 03:43:36 UTC
+1 do it of course.

If you don't you are going for stagnation, and stagnation is death.
Alexa Coates
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#150 - 2012-03-25 03:51:05 UTC
SURE IS LACK OF VIDEOS IN HERE.

That's a Templar, an Amarr fighter used by carriers.

George Wilkes Hill
Liam Neeson Never Dies
#151 - 2012-03-25 03:51:23 UTC
YES PLEASE!!! I missed that part of the keynote but read about what it entailed wish I could see it!!
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#152 - 2012-03-25 03:58:37 UTC
Dear CCP,

Rather than asking us, is there any way you can detect if the video card can support Tesselation, and then just use it?

Also, is there any way you can alter Graphics settings so rather than manually setting all the detail levels and what not, you just give us a "target frame rate" setting, and have the graphics engine make all the decisions behind the scenes?

After all, the reason we're turning detail down to low, turning off brackets and drone models, is to get a decent frame rate (or stop our machine spontaneously combusting). Doesn't it make sense from a UX point of view that you "dumb things down" just this little bit? Sure, leave an "advanced" pane of settings for people who really really want missile trails but not drone models or speculative reflections.
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#153 - 2012-03-25 04:09:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Nariya Kentaya
Kaivar Lancer wrote:
I hope CCP understands that more computer-users are drifting towards mobile devices like laptops, netbooks and tablets. The high-end, graphics-friendly desktop is going the way of the dodo.

Then again, aspies don't use mobile devices since they never leave the basement. Perhaps CCP understands its users better than I do.

RIGHT, so only us asberger children use desktops.... as longas a desktop can turn out 10X the power fo the ebst alptop (as onga s the desktop is at least modestly funded) then ill use a desktop, i prefer ebing able to ahev as many program,s on as i want, LoL on one screen, Eve on another, and sometimes Dawn of War (1 or 2) on the third.
Grumpy Owly
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#154 - 2012-03-25 04:11:46 UTC
Alice Katsuko
Perkone
Caldari State
#155 - 2012-03-25 04:35:56 UTC
Not sure if it's technically feasible, but a dual-client solution might be the best option, at least until DX11 is properly supported by most players' computers, especially if combined with additional methods for performing tasks like updating market orders and skills. Technology moves on, and there's no reason EVE's development has to cater to those players who are still running 10-year-old machines.

Either way, the graphics shown look awesome, and look forward to seeing them in-game.
Dragonx
Ahumada Co.
#156 - 2012-03-25 05:20:57 UTC
Definitely do it ccp!
Scarria Zarkina
Enfex Corporation
#157 - 2012-03-25 05:37:56 UTC
Would love to see the graphics pushed farther.
Lenore Leelu
Obsidian Dynamics
#158 - 2012-03-25 06:05:08 UTC
Zircon Dasher wrote:
CCP Peirz wrote:
Unfortunately the answer is "not at all". Tessellation is a DX11 only thing, and that's that -- the hardware just isn't there on a DX10 chip. Within that class of hardware though, tessellation can be cranked up or scaled back as the realtime demo showed.

So the decision is binary? Either CCP goes forward with tessellation, and people have to upgrade/quit, or they stick with the current system?

Just wondering if there is a "Classic" and "Premium" path that can be followed (short term) such as back in 2008.

I'm playing on an iMac with HD4850 graphics, I'll need the option for older graphics untill I can upgrade again.
Aedin Dallocort
Doomheim
#159 - 2012-03-25 06:12:04 UTC
Um, no.

The graphics in the presentation were AMAZING, but there are so many things in EVE that need attention that dedicating a team better graphics seems trivial.

Also, seems like CCP is focusing on 'pretty' rather than game mechanics, AGAIN.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#160 - 2012-03-25 06:16:00 UTC
Graphics, physics, I want it all.

That was a hell of a sexy demo, imo.

Mr Epeen Cool